Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

krudler wrote: »
    Working in an office it can be painful with collections every other week for something or other. blah blahs sister had a baby, who gives a fuck!

There are only 9 of them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Working in an office it can be painful with collections every other week for something or other. blah blahs sister had a baby, who gives a fuck!

The only collections there were for people leaving (blue moon stuff) but I'd bet you'd love a Danish too, with your free breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 TrafficBug

The scabbiest thing was when my mate deducted 10€ from overall debt to another friend of €400 borrowed, so he said I only owe you 390eur as you used my mobile phone to make a call abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Chris Dolmeth

TrafficBug wrote: »
    The scabbiest thing was when my mate deducted 10€ from overall debt to another friend of €400 borrowed, so he said I only owe you 390eur as you used my mobile phone to make a call abroad

Conveniently forgetting that no interest was charged !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Yes it is totally in your face in the workplace not sure if this is a new thing or not. 5K, 10K, half and full Marathon runners, sponsored cycles, charity quizzez, swims, Movember, someones is going to Lourdes with the elderly, someones son is going to some backwater country to teach computers to kids.

All of this unavoidable in a small to medium office with constant emails/reminders, posters and even them approaching you personally. Yes there are great causes out there and I did do a charity run & quizzez this year but you can't afford to be handing over a 10er to every joe bloggs who does a 5K or has a bake sale.

If you are doing something, fairplay to you, send ONE email and leave a sign up sheet & envelope in a general area and best of luck to ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

This isn't exactly stingy, more like getting your money's worth.

A guy I used to work with usually had a cup-a-soup everyday at lunch time. He used to empty the contents into the mug and before he poured the hot water into the cup he'd pour a small bit of water into the empty sachet to catch anything left of the soup powder particles, and then pour it into his mug.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Stingy or just theft?

When I was in college there was a vending machine with a carousel type system. You rotated the carousel to your choice and put in the money and slid open the door to get what you wanted. Some doors opened further than others for bigger products. Me and my mate discovered if you get a pint of milk the door opened just enough to squeeze out the yoghurt next to it... Had milk and yoghurt for a snack many a time after that discovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

The last place in Dublin (left last summer) worked at you got a collection when you left, but on the flipside you had to buy everyone a breakfast. Not sure when the tradition started but it ended up being between 150 to 200e worth depending on how generous you were! 50 to 60 sausages, rolls, maybe sausage rolls and a rake of mini muffins and various sweet stuff. Even the contractors played along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

I see rawn showed up as a like on the comment that said "who gives a f%ck"... quelle surprise.

The office, the wedding, where next? No place is safe from these tight-wads.

Here's one about someone I used to be friends with.

Near the end of last year a friend of mine, who will be called Aidan from here on out decided to stop paying his rent. Aidan lived in the same small estate as I do and had a full house to himself for the price of one room. Now the houses here aren't in the best of shape and are incredibly cold and it's fair to say that of all the houses Aidan's was the worst. Anyways that's hardly the point of this story. Sometime at the end of October Aidan just stopped paying rent and as you would expect at the end of November he got an eviction notice. Aidan decided then to ignore all contact from the landlord and it got to a point where the landlord let themselves into the house and into Aidan's room where they found him pretending to be asleep. Eventually Aidan spoke to the landlord and agreed that he would pay the balance on the ESB, 350 euro and as such the landlord wouldn't chase him for the unpaid rent.

Not a bad deal and one that Aidan initially seemed willing to follow. He gave the landlord 50 euro that day and said he'd pay it off over the coming weeks and that he would vacate the premises the Friday before the eviction date. On the Thursday he called down to my house and asked could he store a few things here. I thought what the hell, happy to help a friend out and helped him move all his stuff down here. We stored it under the stairs and Aidan promised that he'd have it out of here when he got back after Christmas.

Over Christmas Aidan rang me asking if he could stay at mine while looking for a new place. As you have no doubt gathered Aidan is one of those leave it to the very last minute kinda guys who enjoys spending most of his money in the pub. I agreed that he could stay at mine and on the 5th or so of January this year he appeared. For the first week Aidan did nothing beyond sleeping till 5pm and heading to friends houses to drink and what not. In the second week we went for a bite to eat in town and I asked Aidan how he was for money, if he had saved any of the money he didn't spend on rent for the 2 months. Turns out that all of the unpaid rent money was nestling in the pocket of various publicans.

During the conversation it became clear that Aidan would be crashing at mine for a bit longer than anticipated. Something, that I was fine with as was my housemate. You see, we liked Aidan. He was messy and had all the financial sense of an 8 year old in a sweet shop but he was a nice guy who if you needed a lend of money would be the first to give it to you, that is if he had it. Which he rarely did.

As the weeks passed and January slowly turned into February it became clear that Aidan was the laziest, most useless excuse for a human being that I have ever came across. He didn't look at a single place to live for the entire month of January repeatedly using the, "I'm saving my dole so I can pay first months rent and deposit." Perhaps it was the prospect of the new year and what was to come that had me in a better than usual mood so I let it slide. February was much the same as January with Aidan spending most of his nights either watching films with me or at friends houses drinking.

I assumed that he had quite a bit saved up as in all the time he lived with us we only asked him to throw in some electricity money, which amounted to all of 30 euro. He never bought himself anything and all his meals were either prepared at the local supermarket or from Tesco finest, aka those ready meals that cost under a euro and most likely contained more horse than anything else. As the last weekend of February approached I told Aidan that he couldn't stay much longer as he had long ago worn out his welcome. On the Thursday he went and looked at a few places, all of which he had a good feeling about but sadly none of them got back to him.

I woke on the Friday morning to a call with some rather disturbing news and as luck would have it my mobile decided that that was the day to die. I keep most of my savings at home in the credit union, which can be a pain when living in Galway. For emergencies I have some money left at home that I ask my parents to transfer across in times of emergency. That weekend in question my Dad was in England and my Mom was unable to get to the bank before closing and as I had just paid March's rent and loaned my housemate the months rent, my savings were pretty much cleared out.

So I did what anyone would do, I asked Aidan if he had the loan of 40 euro till the next day so that I could buy a cheap mobile as I knew that weekend I'd need to be contactable at all times. Aidan refused and when I told him that it was for less than 24 hours he pointed out that all the money he had in the world at that moment was 60 euro, 10 of which he was supposed to put into the electricity meter. I figured screw it and headed into town with my last 10 euro hoping that my Dad would somehow be able to transfer it in. Aidan decided to join me and in town repeatedly stated that he would not be heading out that weekend as he wanted to save the money. In town I asked him was he paying the electricity and he really seemed in no rush to do so, so I spent my last 10 to ensure that we had light in the morning. As we were walking around town I got a call, on Aidan's phone from my Mom to say that the money would be transferred over later that evening. Aidan wasn't particularly pleased that I had given his number out to people who needed to contact me but he quickly dropped it when he saw the look on my face when he brought it up.

In a much better mood I asked Aidan if he had the 10 euro for the electricity as at this stage I had decided that I no longer gave a damn. In the end I borrowed the 10 euro from him and had a bite to eat before heading home. Aidan went off to look at a house before arriving back at mine around 9 asking if I had his 10 euro.

Aidan headed out that evening and a mutual friend called over as he had heard about my phone situation and knew there was a bit of an emergency. He handed me 50 euro and asked if that was enough to get a new phone but at this stage I'd already gotten an old piece of crap one up and running. We had a few beers and around 1am I got a text from Aidan saying he was heading back to the house and did I want anything from Tesco. I asked him to pick me up a cheap pizza. An hour or so later Aidan shows up at the house with a Tesco carrier bag. He empties the few bits of shopping onto the kitchen table and I ask him about the pizza. "sorry man, I went to the 24 hour garage instead." All the products Aidan took out of the TESCO shopping bag have the words TESCO across the packaging. I was a but dumbfounded that he would believe I was so stupid as not to notice so I merely pointed out that it was odd how the local garage now carried Tesco branded products. He sulked off to his room at this stage.

First thing the next morning there was a knock on my door as Aidan let himself in to ask "do you have that tenner I gave you?" Throughout the day this question was Aidan's only real interest and he must have asked it a dozen times. I headed in get a few things in the evening and when I got back Aidan couldn't understand how it was I had shopping but not his 10 euro. He headed out again that night and when he got back after 4am he knocked on my door asking for the money. It got to the stage that when he was heading out on Sunday evening for a few pints that I gave him my atm card and pin and told him to take 20 euro to cover the emotional turmoil he had endured as a result of lending 10 euro to me. He appeared back at the house 20 minutes after to tell me that it wasn't working. So I reassured him the pin was correct and off he headed. Around 5am there was an awful racket from outside and when I went to instigate I found an Aidan so intoxicated that he was literally crawling up the drive and smelling of wee. I helped him inside, rolled him on his side and went back to bed.

The next morning he was up bright and early around 5pm at which stage he raced off to get his dole and then went to meet some friends of his. He got back to mine early enough but I had a migraine so was in bed and asleep before then. I didn't see him all day Tuesday and at around half 7 he showed up to tell me he had found a place to live. He told me that he was moving in that evening as he wanted "to start making it a home." He asked about the 10 euro so I gave it to him figuring that if it shut him up I was all for it. As he put the tenner away he asked if I had the loan of 20 euro as all his dole was gone on paying rent in the new place. I thought fuck it, if it gets rid of him what's the harm, so I gave him 20 euro and waved him goodbye.

Didn't hear from him for about a month till one evening he showed up to get some of his stuff. As you can imagine, when he moved out he left all his stuff under my stairs. Aidan piled a few boxes into a taxi and headed off but in his defense, not before giving me back the 20 I had gave him. Since that fateful night in March I've only seen him twice, the first was when he heard I was giving away some things for free and the second was at a mutual friend birthday.

At the birthday we had a few pints and I asked him had he ever paid the ESB in his old house or was the landlord still after him. Aidan smiled and said "I gave the **** 50 euro and when I moved out I left hundreds worth of stuff after me. There was a duvet, some clothes and a frame worth way more than what I owed." Aidan owed 300 on the bill and what he left after him was a moldy bed sheet, a cum encrusted duvet, clothes that a charity shop would turn away and furniture so broken beyond repair that all it was good for was firewood.

That was sometime in late July and since then the only time I saw Aidan was in town as he staggered out of the pun one Saturday night. As I type under our stairs is still full of all his crap and I'm happy to live it there as a reminder of what a cheap tosser Aidan is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

NothingMan wrote: »
    Stingy or just theft?

When I was in college there was a vending machine with a carousel type system. You rotated the carousel to your choice and put in the money and slid open the door to get what you wanted. Some doors opened further than others for bigger products. Me and my mate discovered if you get a pint of milk the door opened just enough to squeeze out the yoghurt next to it... Had milk and yoghurt for a snack many a time after that discovery.

Theft. And possibly the person filling it would have to make up the losses themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Theft. And possibly the person filling it would have to make up the losses themselves.

I don't think any vending machine stockist is gonna cover loss for the company they work for. When I worked in Shell a new owner tried to tell us that we'd be responsible for drive offs if we failed to get the reg. He was promptly told where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Nobody could accuse you of being stingy with the words Darko !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

It got to the stage that when he was heading out on Sunday evening for a fewpints that I gave him my atm card and pin and told him to take 20 euro to cover the emotional turmoil he had endured as a result of lending 10 euro to me. He appeared back at the house 20 minutes after to tell me that it wasn't working. So I reassured him the pin was correct and off he headed. Around 5am there was an awful racket from outside and when I went to instigate I found an Aidan so intoxicated that he was literally crawling up the drive and smelling of wee. I helped him inside, rolled him on his side and went back to bed.

You gave a lad who scammed his landlord, stupid with money and is clearly an alcoholic your ATM card and PIN, I wouldnt give that to my own brother.

You gave a lad who scammed his landlord, stupid with money and is clearly an alcoholic your ATM card and PIN, I wouldnt give that to my own brother.

never said that it was right pin, hence why he came back and it wasn't working for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

tl;dr
    wtf happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Loopy wrote: »
    tl;dr
    wtf happened?

He enabled an alcoholic for months and gave him a load of his money

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Loopy wrote: »
    tl;dr
    wtf happened?
    Darko got played, man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

never said that it was right pin, hence why he came back and it wasn't working for him.

So you didn't get your card back as I would think the machine swallows it when you enter the number wrong a few times

bluewolf wrote: »
    He enabled an alcoholic for months and gave him a load of his money

How did I give him a load of money? Sure I let him crash at mine and I lent him 20 euro which I got back but that's hardly giving him a load of money.
    osarusan wrote: »
    Darko got played, man.

Hardly, I helped a friend out when he needed it and while it ruined our friendship I'd rather get taken advantage of for a few weeks than see someone sleep on the streets which is where he would have no doubt ended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

How did I give him a load of money? Sure I let him crash at mine and I lent him 20 euro which I got back but that's hardly giving him a load of money.
    I read the 10 euro so many times it multiplied :p
    Rent bills etc?

WIZE wrote: »
    So you didn't get your card back as I would think the machine swallows it when you enter the number wrong a few times

Didn't really mind as the bank account in question was with Bank of Ireland who seemed reluctant to close it even after multiple demands. He gave me the card back though I never used it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Didn't really mind as the bank account in question was with Bank of Ireland who seemed reluctant to close it even after multiple demands. He gave me the card back though I never used it again.

Why would you have money in an account you'd tried to close "multiple" times.

I smell some serious back-pedalling.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I read the 10 euro so many times it multiplied :p
    Rent bills etc?

My rent was the same and he did put 30 toward ESB so it wasn't all bad. The guy is a nice enough fella and would lend anyone money if he had it to spare but he has no sense when it comes to money. He'll head out with a few friends and then will try and impress the ladies by buying them drinks. He doesn't drink all that often and was only really drunk 3 or 4 times in the two months so like everyone else we have no idea where the money goes. I live with an actual alcoholic and it's rather sobering to see how someone can get their 188 euro a week dole on a Wednesday and come Friday lunchtime have not a cent to his name.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Why would you have money in an account you'd tried to close "multiple" times.

I smell some serious back-pedalling.

The point was that there was no money in the account, well there was something like 35 cents which is why I had no problem giving him the card. I gave it to him simply because I knew it would annoy him no end trying to get money out especially when he had the wrong pin to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The point was that there was no money in the account, well there was something like 35 cents which is why I had no problem giving him the card. I gave it to him simply because I knew it would annoy him no end trying to get money out especially when he had the wrong pin to boot.

Why didn't you mention this in the earlier post?

osarusan wrote: »
    Why didn't you mention this in the earlier post?

I assumed that people wouldn't think anyone was stupid enough to give out their pin to anyone. I also assumed that when I said he came back and it wasn't working that it was obvious something was amiss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

CSI After Hours in effect

I know dozens of other stories about Aidan, such as how he gave him mother a booklet of Supermacs vouchers or how he has on more than one occasion spent a week existing on nothing more than a bag of cheap pasta and the cheapest pasta sauce he can find. On one occasion he substituted the sauce for ketchup sachets he robbed from McDonalds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

how he has on more than one occasion spent a week existing on nothing more than a bag of cheap pasta and the cheapest pasta sauce he can find.

What a monster! Oh no wait, I've done that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement