Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

Newaglish wrote: »
    What a monster! Oh no wait, I've done that

He didn't do it because he lacked money but rather because he simply didn't fancy handing any money over for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I assumed that people wouldn't think anyone was stupid enough to give out their pin to anyone. I also assumed that when I said he came back and it wasn't working that it was obvious something was amiss.

It's the internet. Everyone is stupid enough to think anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 peeppeep

Why are you still acting as Aidan's free storage unit? Get all his stuff out from under the stairs and fvck it in the bin!

peeppeep wrote: »
    Why are you still acting as Aidan's free storage unit? Get all his stuff out from under the stairs and fvck it in the bin!

I threw away the big stuff such as the old ass TV and broken DVD player but the rest of it is taking up no space that I'd be using and much as I'd love to throw it away I don't see the point in doing so. There could be something there important to him. Plus I'm moving out soon enough and if it's there when I do it'll be going in the bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Please no more stories about Aidan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Yes it is totally in your face in the workplace not sure if this is a new thing or not. 5K, 10K, half and full Marathon runners, sponsored cycles, charity quizzez, swims, Movember, someones is going to Lourdes with the elderly, someones son is going to some backwater country to teach computers to kids.

All of this unavoidable in a small to medium office with constant emails/reminders, posters and even them approaching you personally. Yes there are great causes out there and I did do a charity run & quizzez this year but you can't afford to be handing over a 10er to every joe bloggs who does a 5K or has a bake sale.

If you are doing something, fairplay to you, send ONE email and leave a sign up sheet & envelope in a general area and best of luck to ya!
    Yeah, I don't mind at all if it is a whip-around because someone is leaving the job, but some of the things are a joke - ever notice it's nearly always managers and bosses who someone decides to do a whip around for if they have a wedding or something? Heads up arses is all it is.

I'll never forget when a manager tried to get a whip-around going for one of the owners of a company I worked for... weeks after they had sold the company (the merger was pending still), rendering half of us out of a job only a few weeks later. Not only that but it wasn't "will you give money" but rather "you WILL give money"... not a f***ing chance, find another way to kiss their ass in hopes of a good reference.
    NothingMan wrote: »
    I don't think any vending machine stockist is gonna cover loss for the company they work for. When I worked in Shell a new owner tried to tell us that we'd be responsible for drive offs if we failed to get the reg. He was promptly told where to go.
    Yeah, I used to work in a Statoil/Topaz that tried the same.

Funny enough, whenever there was a drive off the following few hours would have a CRAZY amount of staff-priced coffees go through (charge 20c, take €2.00, put the €1.80 towards the drive off). One of those weird coincidences. ;)
    osarusan wrote: »
    Why didn't you mention this in the earlier post?
    He was trying to be brief with his words, duh!

Please no more stories about Aidan

Perhaps you could contribute some stories before making requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

HansHolzel wrote: »
    I see rawn showed up as a like on the comment that said "who gives a f%ck"... quelle surprise.

The office, the wedding, where next? No place is safe from these tight-wads.

I liked it cos it was funny :confused:

I always gave to collections in the office I used to work in, there'd be at least one every frickin month though, does get a bit tiresome at times to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

bluewolf wrote: »
    He enabled an alcoholic for months and gave him a load of his money

Ah sh1te, I thought Aido won the lotto and bought Darko a Porsche or summat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I know dozens of other stories about Aidan, such as how he gave him mother a booklet of Supermacs vouchers or how he has on more than one occasion spent a week existing on nothing more than a bag of cheap pasta and the cheapest pasta sauce he can find. On one occasion he substituted the sauce for ketchup sachets he robbed from McDonalds.

No offence, but I am reading this and imaging the two of us stuck in a small caravan together, you look strangely like Graham Norton, I am hearing you saying "I have dozens MORE stories about Aidans such as the time he gave his mother....and he ate ketchup for a week"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Aidan was Darko's lover and they are in a custody battle over the cum encrusted duvet.

Post a story of stinge and then have to wade through two pages of people trying to pick the story apart followed by cheap insults. Makes you wonder why anyone would bother to contribute anything to this thread if that's the reception you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

less whinge more stinge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Aidan sounds like a bit of a **** tbh. Why would you even give him the time of day Darko? Did you just feel sorry for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Post a story of stinge and then have to wade through two pages of people trying to pick the story apart followed by cheap insults. Makes you wonder why anyone would bother to contribute anything to this thread if that's the reception you get.

It was a lot of words for not that interesting a story. You may as well have just said "This guy called Aiden sponged off me for a couple of months", saved us all some time.

Mod

Get over Aidan and start posting more stingy stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

It was a lot of words for not that interesting a story. You may as well have just said "This guy called Aiden sponged off me for a couple of months", saved us all some time.

I enjoyed the story. Technically half the stories on this thread could be told as "Someone sponged off me". I would be technically true, but kind of boring.

Imagine doing this on the telly. CSI: Wherever. Now only 30 seconds long! They could do jangely piano-music, 1920s style, with just two captions:

"A murder was commited" followed by "the good guys solved the murder and the murderer is now in jail".

What a time-saver! :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Not sure if this is stingy or super-thrifty :D

A relative has a neighbour whose daughter is getting married soon. She has been invited to the wedding but won't be going, however since she has known the bride most of her life she feels a gift is in order. She has taken a certain item from her kitchen cupboard (a well known, somewhat expensive brand of dishware) which she hasn't used very much, shined it up to look new, been to a department store to nab the sticker off a brand-new similar item to stick on the one at home and stuck a random barcode on the bottom of it. It will be gift-wrapped with a nice card and given to the happy couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Definitely stingy, and stupid for not keeping the whole thing a secret.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

osarusan wrote: »
    Definitely stingy, and stupid for not keeping the whole thing a secret.

Well she only told me. And now I've....oh God, what have I done? :o:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

miamee wrote: »

A relative has a neighbour whose daughter is getting married soon. She has been invited to the wedding but won't be going, however since she has known the bride most of her life she feels a gift is in order. She has taken a certain item from her kitchen cupboard (a well known, somewhat expensive brand of dishware) which she hasn't used very much, shined it up to look new, been to a department store to nab the sticker off a brand-new similar item to stick on the one at home and stuck a random barcode on the bottom of it. It will be gift-wrapped with a nice card and given to the happy couple.

Definitely thrifty. I would do that! As long as it's perfectly presented and there's nothing wrong with it and nobody knows, what's the harm :pac:

I re-gift, especially if I don't know the person on a personal level. Extended family, neighbours, work colleagues...I'm not spending money on them if I have something perfectly good at home. If I can make sure it doesn't look like a re-gift (love the stickers idea!) then it will be a re-gift!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Funny, and i'd say more super-thrifty than stingy. The neighbour's daughter might get more use out of it than your relative. Be a different story maybe if relative was going to the wedding, but i don't find this too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Stingetastic.

I'll give it a pass for the sheer craftiness of it. Definitely stingy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Ah now, re-gifting is fine when done right.

I know a girl who, when she was 16, received a birthday present off her older sister, 20. The birthday present consisted of 5 books...which the older sister had owned for years and decided to get rid of in a clear out of her room. The younger girl had never expressed interest in the books, and obviously knew exactly where they came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Stingey. Re-gifting is only acceptable when the item in question has never been used. iIf it's been used, even once, it's second-hand and therefore stingey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Stingey. Re-gifting is only acceptable when the item in question has never been used. iIf it's been used, even once, it's second-hand and therefore stingey.
    No it's not.
    It's just common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

snubbleste wrote: »
    No it's not.
    It's just common sense.

Ah come on. Is every gift you give someone a re-gift? If the common sense principle is "Why buy presents when you can give the person something you own and save money" then I assume every gift of yours is a re-gift.

I see it as "I know I should buy a present but I'm too tight to. So I'll just pass something I have off as new and save a few quid."

Definite stinge. The kitchen appliance story is something my mother would have the neck to do and I'd get a chuckle from it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

I see it as "I know I should buy a present but I'm too tight to. So I'll just pass something I have off as new and save a few quid."

This is where the problem lies. "Should buy a present" why? Is a gift not a gift anymore? It is an obligation?

I see this a lot now at kids birthdays. It's all about what they get and not just about having a good time. I know. A girl, close relative, who once got €5 and turned her nose up at it and asked for £5 instead as it was better. (She lived near the border). If i was the one giving the €5, it for sure wouldn't have been long before it went back into my pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    I see it as "I know I should buy a present but I'm too tight to."

Which is the very definition of stingey, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I can't quite decide if this is stingy, super-thrifty or just plain genius!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement