Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Stingey. Re-gifting is only acceptable when the item in question has never been used. iIf it's been used, even once, it's second-hand and therefore stingey.

Hmm...

I once gave my nephew my used laptop for Christmas after I bought myself an IMac. It was a decent laptop, only a year old. I thought that was being generous at the time cos I could have easily sold it but this thread is making me think it was stingey.

Thoughts? Stingey or ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    I see this a lot now at kids birthdays. It's all about what they get and not just about having a good time. I know. A girl, close relative, who once got €5 and turned her nose up at it and asked for £5 instead as it was better. (She lived near the border). If i was the one giving the €5, it for sure wouldn't have been long before it went back into my pocket.

This kid should be running the Irish economy. Wise beyond her years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Footoo wrote: »
    Hmm...

I once gave my nephew my used laptop for Christmas after I bought myself an IMac. It was a decent laptop, only a year old. I thought that was being generous at the time cos I could have easily sold it but this thread is making me think it was stingey.

Thoughts? Stingey or ok?
    I think that's OK - sure I never really got presents from uncles/nephews for my birthday. Basically, the initial value of the item (laptop) for the occasion (a nephew's birthday) more than makes up for it being second hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Famous tight arse drinks in our local pub in Kerry.

Anyway his daughter was making her First Communion a few years ago and he was bringing the family down (parents in law, uncles, aunts etc) to the local for dinner and its not exactly Michelin star stuff either. Anyway he phoned the owner before he came down and asked him if it was alright to bring their own wine and that it was his wife's favourite wine and all this bla bla bla ****e talk. Anyway because it is a rural bar and the owner doesn't like offending customers he agreed.

So after the communion they all came in to the pub with 6 bottles of wine in a cardboard box and their own opener. They drank all the wine, bought 2 x 2 litre bottles of 7-up for the kids (Max €10) and whatever the food cost.

The owner told us after that when he picked up the cardboard box from the wine it was wine that he had given away in a Christmas raffle 6 months earlier, and his tag was still on it.

The same tight arse won £22,000 (when it was punts) on Winning Streak, carried a bus of supporters to Dublin, charged them £20 each for the bus and bought one round of drinks on the way home. He also went for the local elections one time and got less than 30 first preference votes. His extended family would have more than 30 votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

The owner told us after that when he picked up the cardboard box from the wine it was wine that he had given away in a Christmas raffle 6 months earlier, and his tag was still on it...

He also went for the local elections one time and got less than 30 first preference votes. His extended family would have more than 30 votes.

The boxes don't lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

^ the kerry one is your usual stinge until
    The same tight arse won £22,000 (when it was punts) on Winning Streak, carried a bus of supporters to Dublin, charged them £20 each for the bus and bought one round of drinks on the way home.

that is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Curlysue76 wrote: »

This is where the problem lies. "Should buy a present" why? Is a gift not a gift anymore? It is an obligation?

It isn't an obligation but if you're giving something then, if you really believe that regifting is just common sense, why not just admit that it's a second hand item and you're doing it in the name of common sense? Why the need to lie?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Footoo wrote: »
    Hmm...

Thoughts? Stingey or ok?
    It's the 'pretending it's new' aspect that makes it stingy. Did you do this, or did the nephew know it was yours before?

Also, as mentioned, the occasion is important. If you hadn't given him the laptop, would he have received (or expected) anything at all, or anything approaching the value of what you did give him?

With the wedding story, this was a person she'd known for years, on a big occasion, combined with her pretending it was a new gift she'd spent money on.

Monster stinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

osarusan wrote: »
    It's the 'pretending it's new' aspect that makes it stingy. Did you do this, or did the nephew know it was yours before?

Also, as mentioned, the occasion is important. If you hadn't given him the laptop, would he have received (or expected) anything at all, or anything approaching the value of what you did give him?

With the wedding story, this was a person she'd known for years, on a big occasion, combined with her pretending it was a new gift she'd spent money on.

Monster stinge.

Absolutely spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Relatively new-ish mate of mine invited us over for dinner on Saturday.

We then went into town to go see something in the cinema. He wanted to walk from the Drimnagh luas stop to the next Luas stop as it was 20c cheaper fare wise.

He wised up pretty quickly when I said that I'd pay him 20c to shut the hell up and stop being so stingey... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

osarusan wrote: »

Monster stinge.

Na he knew it was second hand.

If I didn't give him the laptop then he'd have got something for about €40-50 so I thought he did well.

Since this thread is full of lazy cunts too busy to read anything beyond a few lines, here is a truly epic tale of stinge (boiled down to the basics) that occurred a month ago to a friend of mine.

My friends Dad died. She and her long time boyfriend attended. The bf owned a car and on a number of occasions offered to collect and drop family members home. The family were grateful for this and all his drinks were paid for after the funeral. A few days later he submitted an envelope to the solicitor. Inside this envelope was a bill for 250 euro to cover the cost of petrol and his time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

My friends Dad died. She and her long time boyfriend attended. The bf owned a car and on a number of occasions offered to collect and drop family members home. The family were grateful for this and all his drinks were paid for after the funeral. A few days later he submitted an envelope to the solicitor. Inside this envelope was a bill for 250 euro to cover the cost of petrol and his time.

I hope they're now finished??

What a dick!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Since this thread is full of lazy cunts too busy to read anything beyond a few lines, here is a truly epic tale of stinge (boiled down to the basics) that occurred a month ago to a friend of mine.

My friends Dad died. She and her long time boyfriend attended. The bf owned a car and on a number of occasions offered to collect and drop family members home. The family were grateful for this and all his drinks were paid for after the funeral. A few days later he submitted an envelope to the solicitor. Inside this envelope was a bill
    for 250 euro to cover the cost of petrol and his time.

i think that has to be the worst form of tightness

I hope they're now finished??

What a dick!!!

I believe that they are though to be honest this sort of behavior is exactly what everyone expects of him. I imagine that he still has his communion money and would sooner sell his sisters virginity than part with any of it.

You said long term boyfriend? How long term are we talking??

You said long term boyfriend? How long term are we talking??

Think they were going out for about 4 years. I rarely speak to either of them as much as I like the girl her boyfriend was such an unimaginably tight git that he could suck the fun out of every situation. He's the kind of guy who would count the number of chips in a take away bag and keep track so that if he got less the next time he'd have proof that he was being "ripped off." tbh it was more sad than funny and you really have to wonder how anyone could be so miserable. It's not like money was something he had to worry about, he just choose to.

He didn't have to worry about money because he wouldn't spend it!

Tight git!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

was his name aidan?

retalivity wrote: »
    was his name aidan?

Yawn, this pathetic crap again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine that he still has his communion money
    :( I had my communion money until I was 29 - I had to use it as my flatmate wasn't paying rent and bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

A few weeks after I had a baby I had a doctors appointment and needed to get a taxi home afterwards. I sat in the back of the car with the baby. Along the two mile journey the driver congratulated me on the birth of the baby and handed back to me a fiver. Thanks very much says I.
    We landed to the house and she charged me a fiver for the fare. I handed her back the fiver she had just handed me 2 minutes previously. :o

He's the kind of guy who would count the number of chips in a take away bag and keep track so that if he got less the next time he'd have proof that he was being "ripped off."
    D'mammy is a pharmacist... I'll never forget the story of the woman who literally did that with two of the cards of prescriptions she got (same stuff; two cards of capsules in one box if you catch my drift). She was looking for a refund apparently, but at the same time refused to give back the tablets because she needed them (hence, prescription).

They told her they couldn't give a refund as she had damaged the goods (plus it's a sticky area taking medication back off someone who has been prescribed it)... oh, and that she has basically destroyed the medication by taking it out of the pack (makes it near impossible to gauge the right dosage). The silly twit was then told she would have to take the damaged medication back to her GP (and so pay for another appointment), get a new prescription and then buy the medication from fresh again.

The funny thing is, if something genuinely does happen to someone's prescription they can have it replaced far easier than that and depending on the nature of the situation something can often be worked out regarding the additional cost (a phone call from the pharmacist to the GP will usually do, especially if both are familiar with the customer/patient). Moral of the story: don't be a dick. :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JimmyChew

A few weeks after I had a baby I had a doctors appointment and needed to get a taxi home afterwards. I sat in the back of the car with the baby. Along the two mile journey the driver congratulated me on the birth of the baby and handed back to me a fiver. Thanks very much says I.
    We landed to the house and she charged me a fiver for the fare. I handed her back the fiver she had just handed me 2 minutes previously. :o

I think you did quite well out of the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Why would a taxi driver give you a fiver for having a baby? Is that not really fooking strange?

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Why would a taxi driver give you a fiver for having a baby? Is that not really fooking strange?

Strangers sometimes give money to new babies!! Hanseling (sp?) is the term I've heard it used as!

I'm guessing it was the taxi driver's roundabout way of giving a free lift as a present/congratulations since it was obviously just a short fare anyway. Not sure why it's on this thread, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Strangers sometimes give money to new babies!! Hanseling (sp?) is the term I've heard it used as!

I hansel purses, not babies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Never heard of that before. Wow, mad. Well, can't say AH isn't educational (!) Thanks, Princess :)

Congrats on your baby, by the way

• Advertisement

Never heard of that before. Wow, mad. Well, can't say AH isn't educational (!) Thanks, Princess :)

Congrats on your baby, by the way

Not this princess popping out babas twas the hairy princess ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement