Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

bren2001 wrote: »
    I was in Sligo for New Years a few years back. Found a purse on the ground and spent a good 20 minutes looking for the girl. Finally gave up, took the 20e for my troubles/taxi home and handed the it into the Garda. Had a good chat with him where we gave out about the a-hole who robbed the money. Wasn't my finest moment. Call it stingy...call it theft....she got her cards back.

How did the Garda know there was money robbed? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭bren2001

How did the Garda know there was money robbed? :D

First thing he did was open it to see if there was money in it. He assumed it was nicked. He was correct all right. Just incorrectly assumed I did not rob it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

bren2001 wrote: »
    First thing he did was open it to see if there was money in it. He assumed it was nicked. He was correct all right. Just incorrectly assumed I did not rob it.

How would he have known there was money in it in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I was backpacking a few years ago, and was waiting to get on a tour operator bus that would be bringing a load of backpackers five/six hours up to the next town.

There were some outdoor toilets near the bus stop, so I went in before the bus went. Sitting in the cubicle, I noticed a wallet sitting on the toilet roll dispenser, obviously left there by mistake. I looked into it and there were a bunch of credit cards, a small amount of cash and most importantly, a card from the tour operator for the bus I was about to get.

As a flat broke backpacker scratching about, I have to admit I really was sorely tempted to pocket the cash or even to do something with the cards, desperate times and all that. But my mum raised me right, so when the bus was on its way I went down to speak to the driver, gave him the wallet and asked him to announce over the intercom that a wallet had been found. He did so, and seconds later this skinny Swedish guy made his way down the bus with a sheepish look on his face.

Thanks? None whatsoever. Never mind the hassle I had just saved him, he ignored me, took his wallet and went back to his seat. No big deal, I had done the right thing and that was that.

Until over the next day or two (In the smaller towns on this route you tended to see the same people over and over) I noticed that every time this guy seen me he would either avoid me completely or I would catch him giving me the dirtiest looks imaginable. I mentioned this to another backpacker, who told me that the happy Swede was going around telling everybody that there was some cash missing, and that I must have been the one who took it.

****ing raging I was, the ungrateful little bollix, and to this day I wish I had just pocketed the cash and dumped his wallet in the toilet.

I hear you...:mad:

I remember in 2002, myself and ex-g/f were in Heuston station on our way to the airport for a trip to Spain. G/f came out of the toilets with a lady's handbag that had been left in the cubicle...it was full of £20 notes in Pound Sterling and I mean full. There had to be at least several grand.

As were both poor students, missus looked at me and it was a case of:

"Do pocket the case and leg it or at least some of it?

I said No. We would have no luck for it and the ex duly went to the information desk and handed it in.

We sat down and I consoled the ex on the basis that it was the right thing to do. Ex went off to the shop and a few minutes later, I caught sight of this middle aged women frantically running about the place and looking in the bins/under the chairs. I asked if she had lost a bag and got a resoundin "YES". I pointed her in the direction of the information desk and watched as she was handed back her bag.

The guy behind the counter made a point of letting her know that we had handed it in. She said how lucky she was as herself and hubby were over to UK for a horse meet.

Now, half expecting a £20.00 note for being so good. The cow just walked off without such much as a "Thank you". Of course then we wish had dipped our hand in.

And as for luck/karma, we had the worst holiday...lost bank cards, missed trains, food poisoning..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭bren2001

How would he have known there was money in it in the first place?

Im sorry, you are right. I made up the story to make friends on boards.....

As I said he assumed there was money in it. It could of easily been empty all right. I dont think that part of the story is really important....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Mate of mine once found a money belt in a cubicle in the Duke, left behind by a Yank on that literary walking tour thing. He saw a name ("James Taylor") on it and, since they were still on the premises, he told the guy in charge, who asked the crowd for a James T. Sour-faced septic in a windcheater walks up and snatches it off my mate without a word. All my pal could say was, "It's OK James. You've got a friend."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

3. picking up cigarette ends off the street and making rollies out of them.
    You see this ALL THE TIME in Australia. As in literally if you spend the day walking around Sydney city centre, you are guaranteed to see it at least 4-5 times once you're wise to it; even people rooting through the ashtray parts of top of bins and such. I can understand a homeless person doing it I guess, but lots of people who do this are clearly anything but. It's one of the rankest things I have ever seen (and I am a smoker... off for 4 days now though, fingers crossed! :p ). Honestly don't recall seeing it in Ireland, though - maybe I should look closer I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Achilles wrote: »
    A bus journey? Sorry that's why we have 3G now, not to mention that all major bus providers have free wifi available.

Man you are a pain in the hole to listen to. No bus wifi provider allows video to be played over that connection, because you will **** all over others that are trying to use the service and make their service unusable. And good luck finding a 3G provider that can handle Netflix on a bus across Ireland.

I used to live with this guy from Liverpool when I was in Cork. Nice enough fellow a little younger than us and a bit of a bum. Would stay up all night playing poker on the internet and ate crap. But as housemates went he was grand.

There was one problem though, after awhile I noticed that the toilets were constantly full of piss especially in the mornings as I was first out to work.

It turns out that when he was growing up in his household, they would only flush the toilet after a dump. As he said "If it's yellow let in mellow"..bascially growing up in a council estate in Liverpool, to save on water bills they didnt flush after a piss.

I had to point out that it's ok to flush in Ireland. We are not (yet) billed for water usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I had to point out that it's ok to flush in Ireland. We are not (yet) billed for water usage.

Yeah I stayed in some hippy hostel abroad (not my choice) before and they had the same motto. Fcukin disgusting
    Worst thing was for all their water conservation they had a jacuzzi and sauna or something like that
    :confused:

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah I stayed in some hippy hostel abroad (not my choice) before and they had the same motto. Fcukin disgusting
    Worst thing was for all their water conservation they had a jacuzzi and sauna or something like that

You wldnt mind but for the last month he lived with us he was unemployed so basically was on the internet/laptop 24/7. We kept back a nominal sum from his deposit to cover bills to cover his share and he fecked off to Spain.

The elec bill cam in at nearly €300.00 (up from an average €70.00) which myself and other flatmate had to foot...got royally screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

bluewolf wrote: »

They probably got the jacuzzi water from the toilet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

I was making a trip of about ten miles to the nearest town one saturday evening to rent out a video..back in the late eighties..it was bucketing down the rain and I seen a man thumbing at the side of the road..I pulled in and when he took down his hood I knew him..he told me that he was trying to get a lift to his employers house to collect his wages..

His employer was quite a bit outt athe road but I couldnt leave him off in the pissing rain so I ran him to the guys house but the guy wasnt home..

now being a saturday evening and him being well dressed suggested to me that he was heading out for a few pints..so I asked him if he was okay for some money..he told me that he was skint and I said I could lend him a few bob till he got paid..he was over the moon and I dropped him at his local now 40 punts richer;)..with him promising that he would be straight up to square me as soon as he was paid..

well a few months passed and I never ran into the guy..but was heading through his village one evening and there he was thumbing down to the pub in his best clobber, I thought "nows my chance" and indicated to pull over beside him ..but was met by the sight of him jumping straight through a hedge into a disused garden:eek: and running away:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Man you are a pain in the hole to listen to. No bus wifi provider allows video to be played over that connection, because you will **** all over others that are trying to use the service and make their service unusable. And good luck finding a 3G provider that can handle Netflix on a bus across Ireland.

I'm not as bad as the pain in the hole you'll have when you're in the Joy for copyright infringement! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Achilles wrote: »
    Yeaaaaaaaahhhhhh no. If you have enough bandwidth to download it then you have enough bandwidth to stream it and let it buffer.

If you're patient enough to let it download you should be patient enough to let Netflix buffer it a little before playing.

It's still Stingey.
    Not really stingey. Put it on my hard drive and share it with friends if they need it. Netflix also dosent have the latest stuff. I can get it about an hour or so after it is shown.
    My Gf has it and I find it all a bit meh. Downloading is far easier.
    Hey, why so stingy with the broadband? I'l understand if you are unable to respond to this until tomorrow evening.

Eircom dont wanna change the wires outside because no one is there customer.

Happy new year guys.

Years ago I was working in a rural area and with no car and I started seeing this local teacher from Tipp. I rarely went home due to hassle with connecting buses etc but the g/f had a car and went home every single wend back to Tipp.

Now I lived in Cork but she drove through a major town where I would normally get the direct bus back to Cork. In fact she drove past the bus station.

So when I started going with her, I was able to jump in with her on a Friday evening and jump out at the bus station. No deviation from her route.

I only went home 2-3 times but the miserable cow insisted that I gave her money for petol I never queried it.

Now I fully accept that cars are expensive to run etc and I have no problem paying my way but this was my g/f and I always paid for the drinks when we went out.

It didnt last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

lkionm wrote: »
    Not really stingey. Put it on my hard drive and share it with friends if they need it. Netflix also dosent have the latest stuff. I can get it about an hour or so after it is shown.
    My Gf has it and I find it all a bit meh. Downloading is far easier.

Eircom dont wanna change the wires outside because no one is there customer.

Happy new year guys.

Whatever about anything else, downloading isn't easier than netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

OhHiMark wrote: »

You're my favourite customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Downloading is a million times easier than netflix tbf.
    None of that buffering crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Only if you don't internet very well.

• Advertisement

Downloading is a million times easier than netflix tbf.
    None of that buffering crap!

You must have terrible internet if you find Netflix buffering. When I watch a film or episode of TV it takes 10 seconds or so to load up and then plays without stopping in HD.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Is there any end to the Netflix saga? No? Ok then :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

You must have terrible internet if you find Netflix buffering. When I watch a film or episode of TV it takes 10 seconds or so to load up and then plays without stopping in HD.

Tbh, I never used Netflix. I don't see the point. I can download films in HD and watch them on KMPlayer for free. And I get to keep the film as long as I want.

Tbh, I never used Netflix. I don't see the point. I can download films in HD and watch them on KMPlayer for free. And I get to keep the film as long as I want.

And if you have Netflix you can watch films in HD on pretty much any device you want and keep them as long as you want. Best of all they take up no space and are easily accessible.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

mod:

Back on topic please. More stinge, less netflix.

PM for clarification if needed.
    Fair warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Meant to post a story from my holidays :

I was in a small town in northern Thailand, waiting for my group to be ready to travel north. It's pretty much the last town you pass through before hitting all the small villages where people go to start treking in the jungle. I was drinking from a 1.5L bottle of water that I had just bought, and had been delighted not to have been charged "tourist price", because I pretty much had no choice but to buy it there. While I was drinking a rusty old pick up pulls in and two Danish lads get out of the back of it.

Now, our own transport wasn't the most opulent; it was a pick up truck like theirs (Songthew). There's a whole range of tours and activites you can do in that area, and while ours wasn't the cheapest, it was far from the most expensive too. Despite that, I reckon from the look of the lads that our transport was better than theirs. Our tour company was all about responsible tourism, so we stayed in homestays where the villages got a share of the money, and before leaving our two registered guides (legal requirement in case one gets injured) brought us to the police station to register who we were and where we were going hiking.

Some of the cheaper tours did none of that. Some of them went other routes where the villagers got fook all, and in some cases visited "sanctuarys" where elephants and other animals were abused. From the look our lead guide gave the Dane's guide, I'm betting their's was one of those tours.

So one of them schleps his weary looking, sweaty ass over and plonks himself down next to me. He's wearing a cheap ****ty t-shirt and cheap ****ty flip flops, and I'm betting has none of the (minimal to be fair) gear he needs to go treking in the jungle. He asked me how much the water was, and I told him; it was the equivalent of about 17 cent. He replied : "We're going to have to bargain them down." :eek:

Now, fair enough if you're on a budget, but ffs. The time and effort he was going to spend trying to haggle a few cent discount from a shopkeeper who was probably making sod all on the sale anyway was surely not going to be worth it.

Thankfully my group was ready to go at that point so I didn't spend any more time with his stingy self.....

TL;DR Danish guy wants to haggle for a 17 cent bottle of water and probably had a ****ty holiday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 greendrop

Someone invited me to birthday party.. I brought some food that I cooked, little gift and bottle of vodka.. and I was there for over hour without glass in my hand only to see a "birthday girl" taking one beer after another for herself..
    -stinginess or lack of good manners?

Another "friend" reminded me after two months about money that I owed her for bus ticket she bought for me..

I hate it, I seriously hate it......

-and one more:

Invited a couple some time a go to holiday house I have rented and they didnt pay for anything, even invited them for some food and drink and I don't usually smoke, only sometimes when I drink, so I took maybe up to 5 cigarettes from that girl.. she asked me to give them back before they left because they were running low with money! :/
    After something like this a "friendship" is over to me......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I can see the argument that there is nothing wrong/you are the stinge in each of the 3 scenarios above

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 greendrop

retalivity wrote: »
    I can see the argument that there is nothing wrong/you are the stinge in each of the 3 scenarios above

very interesting ;)

I would never even leave my guests without a drink, I would never ask someone to give me money back for ticket that I bought some time ago (I would forget about it after one day). The same with cigarettes- when I used to smoke, I was never counting them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Here's something that bugs me, people who gladly ride shotgun on roadtrips but then don't throw in a few quid for fuel money. I've no prob dropping people places or if I suggest taking a spin I wouldn't ask people for money but if you volunteer to drive on a long trip for some event or something people should stump up some monies towards the petrol.
    We did it last weekend,me and the other lad in the car chucked the housemate 20 quid each for what he was putting into the car, he didn't have to ask as it's just basic roadtrip etiquette, have been on the other side and not been offered a penny. It's fairly stingey to accept a long return trip lift off someone and then not contribute anything towards it you're being driven someplace for nothing, petrol ain't free!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement