Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Well that changes a lot. Screw that, scabby baxtards!

Just out of interest what is this festival? Sounds like a beginner's version of Burning Man.

Wacken :p 2007

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

What kind of festival would you want to be drinking water at?

Get a beer or a spirit and get on with things

Young ones these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Gosh you're fierce pedantic. What's with the trying to poke holes :confused:

I'm not trying to be pedantic, I can just see where these people were coming from. They got to the campsite and stocked up, they have their water and don't need to think about it any more. Then somebody wants to take some of it. If they give it away, then now they need to think about going and getting more, hassle they probably don't want.

If you walked up to a tent and offered them £5 to walk into town and get you a bottle of water they would very probably say "hell no". But in effect, thats what you were offering the lads in question. I wouldn't take it either.

I'd give a drink of water to somebody parched of course, but thats a different animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

This is more Del Boy than stingy but here goes....

There is this old guy at home..not 100% in head but he makes some money here and there selling old foodstuff. Harmless fella.

But a few years back he went into the local grocer selling rhubarb which the grocer bought and remarked how he had some growing at home himself and would be ripe soon...anyway...said grocer went home that evening to find the said rhubarb gone!!
    Did he happen to have a bit of a croaky voice and penchant for swearing by chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

My foks were out for dinner one night with 4 other couples. One of the other couples was the daughter and son in law of another couple there.

The daughter and son in law had to leave before the bill came, so she took what she felt was approx owed from her purse and gave it to her dad.

When the bill came, it was to be split between the 10, but her father announced that daughter had left so the meal for 10 would have to be split 8 ways. The stingey prick thought no one had seen his daughter pay him before she left, and then tried to make her look like she had skipped the bill.

To me, that is beneath contempt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

gimmick wrote: »
    My foks were out for dinner one night with 4 other couples. One of the other couples was the daughter and son in law of another couple there.

The daughter and son in law had to leave before the bill came, so she took what she felt was approx owed from her purse and gave it to her dad.

When the bill came, it was to be split between the 10, but her father announced that daughter had left so the meal for 10 would have to be split 8 ways. The stingey prick thought no one had seen his daughter pay him before she left, and then tried to make her look like she had skipped the bill.

To me, that is beneath contempt.
    That is pretty low on his part.

Last one for now

I worked in this pub which served food years ago. I could tell ye many stories from the place, but Id never get home if I told all. This I think is probably the top one.

It was bin day. I as the only man (I was 18!) working, so it was my job to do drag the rubbish out.

There was a blackbag int he plastic bin, which I had trouble taking out, so I asked the boss lady to hold the plastic bin while I pulled the black bag out.

As I got the bag out the bastard thing split. Hot, smelly kitchen waste all over the floor. Bitch owner took the only pair on rubber gloves to hold open the new blackbag. I took another blackbag off the roll to help scoop the rubbish, but she scolded me for wasting a bag. I was a rebel and used it anyway.

So as I was scooping this stuff off the floor a potato fell to the floor. It had already been boiled but had found its way to the bin somehow. She pickedit back out of the bin, and through the potato back into the pot where the rest of there prepared spuds were. One potato. She wouldn't take the loss of one poppy! I got the last laugh by seeing where it landed and binned it again later, but that's not the point.

Horrible awful people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 greendrop

Last one for now

I worked in this pub which served food years ago. I could tell ye many stories from the place, but Id never get home if I told all. This I think is probably the top one.

It was bin day. I as the only man (I was 18!) working, so it was my job to do drag the rubbish out.

There was a blackbag int he plastic bin, which I had trouble taking out, so I asked the boss lady to hold the plastic bin while I pulled the black bag out.

As I got the bag out the bastard thing split. Hot, smelly kitchen waste all over the floor. Bitch owner took the only pair on rubber gloves to hold open the new blackbag. I took another blackbag off the roll to help scoop the rubbish, but she scolded me for wasting a bag. I was a rebel and used it anyway.

So as I was scooping this stuff off the floor a potato fell to the floor. It had already been boiled but had found its way to the bin somehow. She pickedit back out of the bin, and through the potato back into the pot where the rest of there prepared spuds were. One potato. She wouldn't take the loss of one poppy! I got the last laugh by seeing where it landed and binned it again later, but that's not the point.

Horrible awful people.

Oh, thats normal and thats why I almost never it out..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

greendrop wrote: »
    Oh, thats normal and thats why I almost never it out..... :rolleyes:

I've heard people say this happens often but does it? I've always assumed it's scaremongering.

I worked in one pub/restaurant and while I f**king hated it with a passion and it wasn't exactly run brilliantly or with great hygiene standards, I never saw anything like that.

Anyone who does this deserves to be shot with balls of their own sh!t.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I never saw anything like that.

Anyone who does this deserves to be shot with balls of their own sh!t.

I used to work in a restaurants/pubs and cafes too and maybe not EXACTLY that, but things like taking food out of the sink (not very clean one) for example pasta when it slips out from colander or breaking frozen to death burgers over the floor or thats the worse I have seen:
    -taking left overs from the plates to serve it again.

I know there are decent places out there who don't do it, but how can you tell...

• Advertisement

Achilles wrote:
    Somebody in another thread for Orange Is The New Black mentioned pirating the series... which is a Netflix original series.

Seriously? Netflix is only €7 a month ffs... whatever about pirating a TV show that's really hard to get over here it's another thing to pirate a TV show from a service that's actually making it just as easy to watch these shows WITHOUT having to pirate anything.

Stingy feckers...

I saw you get a proper bee in your bonnet over this in the other thread.

So bloody what? I downloaded Game Of Thrones every week while it was on as I am too stingey to pay for HD on top of my Sky sub. Ditto with Boardwalk.

To get on a high horse over this is rather pathetic in my view. I really hope you have never complained about the price of a pint being dearer after midnight than before. There is only a few cents difference afterall.

Good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I used to work in a restaurants/pubs and cafes too and maybe not EXACTLY that, but things like taking food out of the sink (not very clean one) for example pasta when it slips out from colander or breaking frozen to death burgers over the floor or thats the worse I have seen:
    -taking left overs from the plates to serve it again.

I know there are decent places out there who don't do it, but how can you tell...

Christ. Think I'll eat at home in future. If I'm going to be poisoned, I'd at least like to do it to myself with my own dodgy cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I saw you get a proper bee in your bonnet over this in the other thread.

So bloody what? I downloaded Game Of Thrones every week while it was on as I am too stingey to pay for HD on top of my Sky sub. Ditto with Boardwalk.

To get on a high horse over this is rather pathetic in my view. I really hope you have never complained about the price of a pint being dearer after midnight than before. There is only a few cents difference afterall.

Good day.

As I said it's one thing to pirate a TV over here that's hard to get (not in Games Of Thrones' case) and it's something else to pirate a show that's a Netflix original.

Netflix are trying to make availability of all this stuff easier, hell they're even financing new seasons for shows that got cancelled on regular TV and how do people thank them? By pirating Netflix originals.

Good job lads, if people keep pirating this **** then there won't BE a Netflix to finance these things or change the TV landscape anymore.

THAT is why I think it's people being stingey... hell the first month of usage for Netflix IS FREE! You can't get any better than free. Hell if you wanted to circumvent it you could just keep creating new email address for it and get it for free forever.

But no... people would rather pirate it because... of the utter stinge of it all.

By the by I don't have a bee in my bonnet but I do think that companies that are trying to change the industry like this should be encouraged and not stifled.

I'm no stranger to piracy, will I pirate a €70 game that I'm not even sure I'll like? Probably...

Will I pirate a small indie game that costs €5? No... never...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Netflix. Great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I am pie wrote: »
    Netflix. Great bunch of lads.

Netflix for some, pirating for others.

Me, I don't get involved.

Gone are the days of funny stinge stories...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Eh, if you have a Sky box then you have Sky Atlantic and as you have that there is no need to pirate it as you just watch it on the Regular Sky Atlantic.
    Achilles wrote: »
    Good job lads, if people keep pirating this **** then there won't BE a Netflix to finance these things or change the TV landscape anymore.

Of course there will because you'll always get a large degree of those who'll pay for it.
    Hell if you wanted to circumvent it you could just keep creating new email address for it and get it for free forever.
    You'd also require a new bank card.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Eh, if you have a Sky box then you have Sky Atlantic and as you have that there is no need to pirate it as you just watch it on the Regular Sky Atlantic.

Not if I want a HD picture. As I said, I am too "stingey" to pay the additional for HD with Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Hmm, maybe we have different idea about party etiquette... Do you help yourself in other peoples houses? I don't -unless they are my very close friends!

Yeah I generally don't hang around with snobs expecting to be handed drinks. If and when I go to a party I either bring my own drink or when I arrive and I or they have provided drink they will generally tell you to help yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Not if I want a HD picture. As I said, I am too "stingey" to pay the additional for HD with Sky.

Yes. Yes you are. :-)

n1ck wrote: »
    Yeah I generally don't hang around with snobs expecting to be handed drinks. If and when I go to a party I either bring my own drink or when I arrive and I or they have provided drink they will generally tell you to help yourself.

Well first: nobody told me to help myself (I would if I was told) and second I am far from beeing a snob, I only hate bad manners and if someone doesn't take good care of guests on his/her own birthday party -its just rubbish behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Well first: nobody told me to help myself (I would if I was told) and second I am far from beeing a snob, I only hate bad manners and if someone doesn't take good care of guests on his/her own birthday party -its just rubbish behaviour.

You arrived with vodka - the assumption would be that you were drinking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Safer with red and wine and beer in fairness, generous to bring vodka but not everyone (at least with people I know) will start off on the vodka. I would bring beer and wine, drink two or 3 of my own, leave it in the kitchen or with the host and then after I would expect people to drinking mine and giving me theirs. Never turn up with moutwash or a pricey wine/beer. It will be tucked into at some stage by someone else. Foodwise, it is either that kind of do or it isn't, but either way the food should be out on a table, shouldn't need to be offered. The host has better things to be doing, like enjoying themselves, than to be acting as a waiter all night.

Bring, share and tuck in.

Understand that the fancy beer fans and the pricey wine folks (I like a good bottle, but I drink them at home with herself or close friends) don't like the sharing routine, fair enough but they need to be up front or sneaky enough to ensure they are drinking their own stash all night....and don't come knocking when they have polished off their 6 cans of rare belgian elderflower cider or whatever....empty handed generosity!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

As I said it's one thing to pirate a TV over here that's hard to get (not in Games Of Thrones' case) and it's something else to pirate a show that's a Netflix original.

Netflix are trying to make availability of all this stuff easier, hell they're even financing new seasons for shows that got cancelled on regular TV and how do people thank them? By pirating Netflix originals.

THAT is why I think it's people being stingey... hell the first month of usage for Netflix IS FREE! You can't get any better than free. Hell if you wanted to circumvent it you could just keep creating new email address for it and get it for free forever.

But no... people would rather pirate it because... of the utter stinge of it all.

By the by I don't have a bee in my bonnet but I do think that companies that are trying to change the industry like this should be encouraged and not stifled.

I'm no stranger to piracy, will I pirate a €70 game that I'm not even sure I'll like? Probably...

Will I pirate a small indie game that costs €5? No... never...

Piracy doesn't harm Netflix one bit. They have 24 million subscribers in the US alone.

I am pie wrote: »
    Safer with red and wine and beer in fairness, generous to bring vodka but not everyone (at least with people I know) will start off on the vodka. I would bring beer and wine, drink two or 3 of my own, leave it in the kitchen or with the host and then after I would expect people to drinking mine and giving me theirs. Never turn up with moutwash or a pricey wine/beer. It will be tucked into at some stage by someone else. Foodwise, it is either that kind of do or it isn't, but either way the food should be out on a table, shouldn't need to be offered. The host has better things to be doing, like enjoying themselves, than to be acting as a waiter all night.

Bring, share and tuck in.

Understand that the fancy beer fans and the pricey wine folks (I like a good bottle, but I drink them at home with herself or close friends) don't like the sharing routine, fair enough but they need to be up front or sneaky enough to ensure they are drinking their own stash all night....and don't come knocking when they have polished off their 6 cans of rare belgian elderflower cider or whatever....empty handed generosity!

Whatever you bring, wouldn't you feel more comfortable at least at the beginnig if host offered you first drink?
    Its awkward to bring the bottle and to help yourself with it if you don't know people and you only arrived!
    That's the other thing, that some bring wine for 60 and some that costed 8€(that could be ok too, but you need to know where and what to buy)
    But in general I've never heard about parties where guests arrive and make themselves drinks - thats ok for students maybe! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Piracy doesn't harm Netflix one bit. They have 24 million subscribers in the US alone.

That dosent justify stealing it. I love what Netflix are doing, and €7 (ffs, €7 you miserable stingebags!) is such good value for money for the service they provide. If its not supported it disappears and we all lose, even ye pirates.

Also, I'm going to start another thread in AF on Netflix/Piracy, just so we can get back to the stinge.

Whatever you bring, wouldn't you feel more comfortable at least at the beginnig if host offered you first drink?
    Its awkward to bring the bottle and to help yourself with it if you don't know people and you only arrived!
    That's the other thing, that some bring wine for 60 and some that costed 8€(that could be ok too, but you need to know where and what to buy)
    But in general I've never heard about parties where guests arrive and make themselves drinks - thats ok for students maybe! :rolleyes:

Students and normal people. I'm pretty sure it's people like you that stop quite a few other's having people over because they feel they need to jump to attention of snobs not willing to get their own drinks.

Students and normal people. I'm pretty sure it's people like you that stop quite a few other's having people over because they feel they need to jump to attention of snobs not willing to get their own drinks.

Whatever.. :) don't worry, we probably won't meet at any party ;)

ps: for me it is not that I wouldn't make effort to make it it's just I would think its not appropriate to do it, simply bad manners!

Whatever.. :) don't worry, we probably won't meet at any party ;)

ps: for me it is not that I wouldn't make effort to make it it's just I would think its not appropriate to do it, simply bad manners!

Thank god, I wouldn't want to be at your beck and call all night to serve you drinks.

Thank god, I wouldn't want to be at your beck and call all night to serve you drinks.

Yeah, you are lucky -I don't go to bumpkins parties! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Yeah, you are lucky -I don't go to bumpkins parties! :pac:

Apparently though...... you did.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement