Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 greendrop

Apparently though...... you did.....

Yeah, that was a "surprise party" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

greendrop wrote: »
    Yeah, you are lucky -I don't go to bumpkins parties! :pac:

You're showing your age with that saying!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I'm never really sure what to do about drinking at someone's house when youve been invited over . I bring a bottle , but it's hardly polite to hand it over at the door and then go looking or it again to open it!! If you don't drink beer or spirits ( & I don't ) it can be hard to figure - unless you're either offered something, it told the food/drink is in the kitchen, make yourself at home.

Which leads me on to another stingy story . My flatmate asked if her
    Mothers friend and get daughter could come & spend a week - ok I said - yet were from S.Africa . Lovely people, arrived and made themselves at
    Home , we gave them jeys & a bus timetable & tourist books, lots of chats, etc. all went well but I noticed that they cooked & ate in - from our/my food every day - tool sandwiches to avoid laying for lunch etc. On the Saturday night we were going out & invited the mother - no - she absolutely insisted she was staying in but asked if we would go to the shop to get her some coke & peanuts. Odd but we did . Came home a few hours later - she had Milled into the top drawer drinks cabinet -and had opened and drank in full a LITRE of brandy - from full to dregs - by herself while we were out. With the coke & peanuts we got her.

They left without a card it thank you having ate, lodged & drank their way through our resources for the week. No thank -you card ever appeared.

Best part is that they weren't even from south Africa - they'd been living in England For over 15 years. If thought they were hard up or had just emigrated & were hit by the rate of exchange. No. They both had full time jobs & were just mean ! ( but nice!)

I am still getting over the rudeness & stinginess of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

That dosent justify stealing it. I love what Netflix are doing, and €7 (ffs, €7 you miserable stingebags!) is such good value for money for the service they provide. If its not supported it disappears and we all lose, even ye pirates.

Also, I'm going to start another thread in AF on Netflix/Piracy, just so we can get back to the stinge.

1. I'm one of the biggest supporters of netlix on this site and I don't pirate their shows.

2. Well done for starting an uneccesaary thread on AH that will struggle to reach 80 posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭matthew the statue

was at the shop with a friend once he got a bottle of fanta for like 1.99 and did not get his one cent .. didnt notice till he went home and walked back to the shop for it and the shops was ten minutes away :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Cd_doe

Less winge more stinge....

There's only a few hundred more posts until this thread is locked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

My dad used to get the ferry back and forth to holyhead.
    He always tells me about this one time he saw a lady sitting
    in a restaurant on the ferry with a bunch of free small UHT milks
    (the kind you see beside the sugar and cutlery etc.).

She was milling them down like shots. Now that's stinge!

I used to work in a Café in Rathmines and we had this customer come in. She was one of those, look and ask you everything about the menu type customers.
    Now, the sandwiches in this café (iirc) were pretty expensive. £6 or thereabouts. Anyway, after talking to the waitress for about 15 minutes, the waitress comes up to me and tells me the lady wants to know how much we'd charge for bread and butter! So, I says £1.50. Grand. She orders her bread and butter. Waitress delivers it to her, comes back and says the lady wants some tomatoes. I was busy, so I says help yourself. After about ten minutes, I see the waitress taking out some cheese and coleslaw on a plate. I ask her what is she doing and she says it's for the lady with the bread and butter!

Turns out the waitress had gotten her her bread and butter. Along with tomatoes, lettuce, onion, coleslaw and cheese! And when I added all these to the bill the lady refused to pay as she had the cheek to tell me that she only ordered bread and butter for £1.50!

And that was the first time I barred someone from a café :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I'm never really sure what to do about drinking at someone's house when youve been invited over . I bring a bottle , but it's hardly polite to hand it over at the door and then go looking or it again to open it!! If you don't drink beer or spirits ( & I don't ) it can be hard to figure - unless you're either offered something, it told the food/drink is in the kitchen, make yourself at home.

I usually bring a bottle for the host and some beers for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Speaking of bringing a bottle:

A lad I know will sip over 3 drinks all night,suss out where there might be a party or a few drinks back at somebody's place then tag along empty handed and help himself to their booze.He even boasted that he stayed up til morning drinking at a party while everyone else had gone home or dozed off because "there was loads of cans in the fridge",none bought by him of course,he even dodged chipping in for the taxi to yer man's gaff "as he didn't really know the lads he shared it with".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭HomelessMidge

My uncle bought his house off Ryan Tubridy maybe 10 years ago. Went in and there was nothing left! Not a floor board not a bit of carpet, all the presses gone off the walls in the kitchen no even light bulbs were left! He took everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭applehunter

I used to work in a Café in Rathmines and we had this customer come in. She was one of those, look and ask you everything about the menu type customers.
    Now, the sandwiches in this café (iirc) were pretty expensive. £6 or thereabouts. Anyway, after talking to the waitress for about 15 minutes, the waitress comes up to me and tells me the lady wants to know how much we'd charge for bread and butter! So, I says £1.50. Grand. She orders her bread and butter. Waitress delivers it to her, comes back and says the lady wants some tomatoes. I was busy, so I says help yourself. After about ten minutes, I see the waitress taking out some cheese and coleslaw on a plate. I ask her what is she doing and she says it's for the lady with the bread and butter!

Turns out the waitress had gotten her her bread and butter. Along with tomatoes, lettuce, onion, coleslaw and cheese! And when I added all these to the bill the lady refused to pay as she had the cheek to tell me that she only ordered bread and butter for £1.50!

And that was the first time I barred someone from a café :D

Bread and butter...€1.50

I can buy a whole slice pan for €1.50 in my local shop.

Fair play to her. She's probably from old Rathmines and thinks you lot are a bunch of ****.

€6 for a sandwich me hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Bread and butter...€1.50

Fair play to her. She's probably from old Rathmines and thinks you lot are a bunch of ****.

Buying the ingredients at home is always going to be cheaper. You are paying for the convenience of eating out. The restaurant also has to pay costs and turn a profit. If you don't like a restaurant's prices, don't eat there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭applehunter

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Buying the ingredients at home is always going to be cheaper. You are paying for the convenience of eating out. The restaurant also has to pay costs and turn a profit. If you don't like a restaurant's prices, don't eat there.

€6 for a sandwich is extortionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

€6 for a sandwich is extortionate.

No it's not, because there is nobody forcing you to eat there. Or to pay. You choose to go there, if you want a cheap sandwich go to Centra.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

It would be extortionate if it was the only option in the area, am I right? I get words wrong sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Bread and butter...€1.50

I can explain to you the concept of 'profit' if you wish. It's how business stay open.

And €6 depends on what is in the sandwich, unless you expect something from Bondiola or Pig & Heifer to be the same as a €2 chicken fillet roll (with mushy, pale tomatoes and lettuce that is literally delivered in a giant paint-looking bucket) from Londis or Spar. And for the record, if I forget to bring my own lunch in to work, I'll likely go with the €2 option (I like to treat myself, but HATE the idea of excuse the pun, eating into my earnings during work hours), but if I'm wandering around town on a weekend/day off, I'll tend to take the pricier option. Might not make sense, but not much does I guess!

EDIT: Oh, and scroll down to sandwiches here, your head will explode :D ! I've happily paid for everything on the list before though, and happily would again: http://www.menupages.ie/Dublin/south_dublin/dublin_south/bondiola_argentina_cafe/menu

I think applehunter might be a such a stinge on this thread that they're looking for tips!

And... All the bread was freshly baked, crispy bread. Bloomers I think. No white sliced pan here! The sandwiches were delicious and huge tbf!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

l know a guy who recently won 250k on the lotto and gave his 3 kids 50 quid each unbelievable but true

Leilak wrote: »
    l know a guy who recently won 250k on the lotto and gave his 3 kids 50 quid each unbelievable but true
    Hope he skimps on the taxes and bits, gets caught, and gets it taken right back off of him! :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

It would be extortionate if it was the only option in the area, am I right? I get words wrong sometimes.

Nah, that would be a monopoly. Extortion the threat of violence to get someone to hand over money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Of itself I don't think doing that is stingy, depending on the wastefulness and age of the kids and the financial needs of the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I used to work in cattle sales and we always had one guy in who might buy 20 or so a year. Now this fella wasn't short of money as his family had owned a well known car dealership for about 50 years. And every week he'd b*tch about having to give the commission money (which wasn't much!) and would ask for an extra tenner off if he bought two.Normally to every customer we'd give the cents off the cost but every one of us in the office charged him every cent.
    I mean the lads I wrote cheques for that were €100k would get a bit of extra off and a bit of cash for luck but jaysus:eek:

I also have an Uncle who is a retired Garda, he and the wife have a house decorated with designer everything (think Laura Ashley and Louis Vuitton.....ugh) They holiday every year or twice a year but one year they went to Disneyland and they said they found the food to be too expensive so they lived off bread and cereal for the week:confused:

I'm sure I have plenty more but I can't remember just now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I can dig the whole idea of businesses need to turn a profit etc. But up here in malahide castle, 9 quid for a pretty crap sandwich is a tad unreasonable me thinks. Of course there are other options, and I just don't eat there if I can avoid it.

And I'm sure I know the cafe in rathmines in question, dem are good sandwiches :pac:

cloud493 wrote: »
    I can dig the whole idea of businesses need to turn a profit etc. But up here in malahide castle, 9 quid for a pretty crap sandwich is a tad unreasonable me thinks. Of course there are other options, and I just don't eat there if I can avoid it.

And I'm sure I know the cafe in rathmines in question, dem are good sandwiches :pac:
    The market should dictate them off the market sooner rather than later. And if they don't, much like with governments, that market deserve what they get. :P

To be fair, they are probably benefiting off the 'touristy' angle as well, which does wind me up. Somewhere along the line (or maybe I just noticed it in the last 5-10 years?) 'traditional' became a pseudonym for 'lazy' in terms of the tourist industry, ESPECIALLY when well located. Funny enough while it looks like they get away with it, the whole location actually suffers as a result if people don't want to eat their for both price AND quality issues. Especially when compared to what it could be - another potential attraction if the food were good enough (e.g. people go for the food, stay for the site, and you get more repeat business). But nothing is done about it because of... laziness.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Meh. If he is that much of a stinge, there will be that plus interest when he pops his clogs, so the kids will get it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

Chap in work was going round yesterday with a form for some charity thing his girlfriend was doing. Everyone gave a fiver and I only had 4.50 in change, gave him that and he suggested I give him the fiver and he'd stick in the 50c and i could give it back to him.....fair enough

At 8am (he starts at 8am) the chap messaged me and asked for the 50c.....

I know hes stingy but FFS....Must have drove him mad knowing he was owed 50c, and its not like it was for a coffee or anything, he brings his own food and drink to work..how does anyone live like that :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭bren2001

Chap in work was going round yesterday with a form for some charity thing his girlfriend was doing. Everyone gave a fiver and I only had 4.50 in change, gave him that and he suggested I give him the fiver and he'd stick in the 50c and i could give it back to him.....fair enough

At 8am (he starts at 8am) the chap messaged me and asked for the 50c.....

I know hes stingy but FFS....Must have drove him mad knowing he was owed 50c, and its not like it was for a coffee or anything, he brings his own food and drink to work..how does anyone live like that :confused:

You owe him 50c, whats the problem? You could have given 4.50 if you wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

bren2001 wrote: »
    You owe him 50c, whats the problem? You could have given 4.50 if you wanted.

The problem is not owing him the money ,its was his insistence on wanting it back asap. I mean he sat at his desk, logged onto his computer and asked me for the 50c, it was the first thing he did......

And in-case you missed it..It was 50 cent,

50 cent no more no less..

50 cent...

50 f*****g cent....

One half of one euro....

Must have needed it for petrol to get home later.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Kagawa10

Depends on the age of the kids! What would a 10 year old need more than 50 quid for

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement