Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

ps...stingy = something that stings. Ouchy.

Stingey = tightness or puppy killers?

No?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I am pie wrote: »
    ps...stingy = something that stings. Ouchy.

Stingey = tightness or puppy killers?

No?

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

bluewolf wrote: »
    no

fair enough...thought folks were being stingy with the e there...but no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

fella i know who works as a casher in supervalu once told me about a guy who had a shoppin trolley full of vodka , lager and a pack of nappies, after scannin all the items at the till and realising he was a bit short ,he said,,
    wait hold on a minute i'll jus put the nappies back,
    Was it Ed Byrne?
    it coulda been
    Go ahead and jump to 2:15 here, so. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

fella i know who works as a casher in supervalu once told me about a guy who had a shoppin trolley full of vodka , lager and a pack of nappies, after scannin all the items at the till and realising he was a bit short ,he said,,
    I work in a large retail chain and this happens very often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Originally Posted by apache peahead viewpost.gif

joe stodge wrote: »
    I work in a large retail chain and this happens very often.

I always thought that that story was a bit of an urban myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

gramar wrote: »

If you don't have the money, you don't have the money. Many a time I have had to put stuff back because I was a bit short or the deal/offer wasn't valid anymore. Not stingey imho, if you can't pay for it, you can't pay for it.

We're not all privileged like some of ye boardsies, or maybe ye are just better at maths than I was as a young wan. It's embarrassing, so I make sure to bring a list and write down the price of everything before I go to the till.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i don't think you understood the point of that post

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

maguic24 wrote: »
    If you don't have the money, you don't have the money. Many a time I have had to put stuff back because I was a bit short or the deal/offer wasn't valid anymore. Not stingey imho, if you can't pay for it, you can't pay for it.

We're not all privileged like some of ye boardsies, or maybe ye are just better at maths than I was as a young wan. It's embarrassing, so I make sure to bring a list and write down the price of everything before I go to the till.

You don't see anything wrong with taking alcohol over a pack of nappies?

i don't think you understood the point of that post

I did, again! He can afford all the alcomohols but not the nappies. My bad. :(

I glanced at the post and thought it was about putting stuff back without paying attention to that bit. >.<

• Advertisement

I misread the post. :P Again! I'm a bit slow this week, leave me alone. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

maguic24 wrote: »
    I misread the post. :P Again! I'm a bit slow this week, leave me alone. :o

U ok Hun? Hugs xx. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Maybe he didn't need the nappies that urgently as he had some at home already and these were only going to keep stocks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Maybe he didn't need the nappies that urgently as he had some at home already and these were only going to keep stocks up.

So stocking up on booze is better than stocking up on nappies?

U ok Hun? Hugs xx. Lol

Recovering. :( Thanks, your support means a lot to me. I hope I will eventually be able to get over this. One step at a time and all that jazz. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

petes wrote: »

Have you ever tried changing a nappy following an explosive **** by a 1 year old?

It's not the kind of thing anyone should attempt while sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Have you ever tried changing a nappy following an explosive **** by a 1 year old?

It's not the kind of thing anyone should attempt while sober.

Fortunately, no :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

petes wrote: »

The booze might have been for a party or something. He might have had nappies at home bit figured he might as well buy some more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

What about?

why_do_people_do_this_every_damn_time_540.jpg

irish_goat wrote: »
    What about?

why_do_people_do_this_every_damn_time_540.jpg
    Force of habit - I am/was a smoker (been off since last Monday!) and used to do that the odd time. Would stop myself an apologise if I noticed but after lighting thousands and thousands of smokes and putting the lighter in your pocket after, it's almost a motor reflex at that stage. Had it happen to me a good few times too, just point it out and it's really embarrassingly handed back. :p

Then again, it does get VERY annoying when you meet the odd a**ehole who actually tries to deny it - usually after a few drinks.

I remember years ago this happening to me with a girl who was fairly hot (and incredibly up herself), but with a lovely little kicker: she was up from the country with a friend of mine who I had been looking to that night (Coppers, 3am-ish, nuff said... God I hate that place!). The friend (also a girl, not a smoker) had asked if they could stay in mine a few days before, to which I had said not a bother. After the hot friend-of-a-friend stole my lighter and tried to make a show of me getting it back, she got VERY sheepish when she realised she was staying in mine for the night. I was actually quite nice about it when we got back since she couldn't go more than 30 seconds without apologising (two face c**t), planning on getting a petty revenge like no coffee in the morning, but then fortune struck... she had run out of smokes (and in the area, shops are hard to find)!! We stayed up drinking for a few more hours, and despite all her pleas, puppy dog eyes, and even a mild strop, not once did I give her so much as a single drag on any of the 10+ ciggies I had in my own pack. And of course, I happily broke my own "no smoking inside" rule that night.

Might sound like nothing to non-smokers here, but to anyone who loves a smoke when they are drunk you will know how much torture that must have been! None the next morning either, and I made sure we "ran out" of sugar and milk directly after I made my and my friend's coffees... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Billy86 wrote: »
    Force of habit - I am/was a smoker (been off since last Monday!) and used to do that the odd time. Would stop myself an apologise if I noticed but after lighting thousands and thousands of smokes and putting the lighter in your pocket after, it's almost a motor reflex at that stage. Had it happen to me a good few times too, just point it out and it's really embarrassingly handed back. :p

Then again, it does get VERY annoying when you meet the odd a**ehole who actually tries to deny it - usually after a few drinks.

I remember years ago this happening to me with a girl who was fairly hot (and incredibly up herself), but with a lovely little kicker: she was up from the country with a friend of mine who I had been looking to that night (Coppers, 3am-ish, nuff said... God I hate that place!). The friend (also a girl, not a smoker) had asked if they could stay in mine a few days before, to which I had said not a bother. After the hot friend-of-a-friend stole my lighter and tried to make a show of me getting it back, she got VERY sheepish when she realised she was staying in mine for the night. I was actually quite nice about it when we got back since she couldn't go more than 30 seconds without apologising (two face c**t), planning on getting a petty revenge like no coffee in the morning, but then fortune struck... she had run out of smokes (and in the area, shops are hard to find)!! We stayed up drinking for a few more hours, and despite all her pleas, puppy dog eyes, and even a mild strop, not once did I give her so much as a single drag on any of the 10+ ciggies I had in my own pack. And of course, I happily broke my own "no smoking inside" rule that night.

Might sound like nothing to non-smokers here, but to anyone who loves a smoke when they are drunk you will know how much torture that must have been! None the next morning either, and I made sure we "ran out" of sugar and milk directly after I made my and my friend's coffees... :D

It's good to hear a stingy story from the other side, why stingy people do stingy things!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What?
    Jesus that's awful mean

It's good to hear a stingy story from the other side, why stingy people do stingy things!
    I'm actually the exact opposite, but just figured I'd get as much petty revenge as possible from the situation :D . Nothing more annoying that "hey, can I borrow your lighter?" - "Yeah, sure" - "hey, can I get that back please?" - "who the f*** are you? I don't even know you, I don't have your f***ing lighter you weirdo!"

Basically, she had it coming. :pac:
    What?
    Jesus that's awful mean
    It's the only time I've done it, but it was the only way I was tolerating having that lying cow under my roof after her verbally abusing me in public. She only even apologised because she realised if she hadn't, she'd be looking around town for a hotel room at 3am on a Saturday. So fawk her! :D

Usually I make a full fry and pancakes the morning after (partly because I really like cooking), if I have people over. This was a justified exception. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,535 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I am that tight basturd.
    When my mates agreed to split the petrol cost of going to Birmingham in my Transit, I made sure it was equally divvied up. One mate, who was known to be a bit tight himself, had a certain reluctance to part with the last 50p of his share. I went and got him some change :D
    Well, everyone else coughed up, it was only fair.

One of the stingiest things I've seen in a house move was the taking with her of the bog seat. It was special, apparently.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    I am that tight basturd.
    When my mates agreed to split the petrol cost of going to Birmingham in my Transit, I made sure it was equally divvied up. One mate, who was known to be a bit tight himself, had a certain reluctance to part with the last 50p of his share. I went and got him some change :D
    What ever happened to the concept of "get us a pint next time"?

I know that YES there is that one mate everyone has, who it is gratifying to corner until they have to pay up (because otherwise they'd owe 10 pints to everyone they know, no intention of getting them back ever), but in general it just makes life MUCH easier. Or depending on how things break down, mates and I usually designate: in a four-man road trip 2 cover the room costs, 1 pays petrol (and drives, but saves money) and one pays for the food - though this was in Australia, where the petrol/driving and food would add up more than they would here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    I am that tight basturd.

One of the stingiest things I've seen in a house move was the taking with her of the bog seat. It was special, apparently.

It was very special because it was the only place where she gave anything away for free. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

I love this thread but it's been ruined by Ed Byrne. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

As a smoker that is the most cu*tist thing I've heard , I'll stop typing now or I'll get banned ...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

gramar wrote: »

Yep, it's a slobs sketch on the Harry Enfield show.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    As a smoker that is the most cu*tist thing I've heard , I'll stop typing now or I'll get banned ...
    Certainly is. And she deserved every bit of it for trying to steal my lighter and insulting me when I asked for it back, claiming it was hers. Karma was a bitch that night, in her case. :D

EDIT: And for the record I'd usually happily give away 3/4s of a pack if people were stuck (just not the last one! But I would leave half drag of that too). She just pushed the wrong button with the wrong person, and hopefully thinks twice about being a cnut and thief to people who have the common courtesy like letting her use their lighter in future. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement