Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Was it a diamond encrusted lighter that had been passed down through your family since the fall of Troy or something? Because otherwise there is no possible way you're coming out of that story as anything other than the twat, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Billy86 wrote: »
    Certainly is. And she deserved every bit of it for trying to steal my lighter and insulting me when I asked for it back, claiming it was hers. Karma was a bitch that night, in her case. :D

EDIT: And for the record I'd usually happily give away 3/4s of a pack if people were stuck (just not the last one! But I would leave half drag of that too). She just pushed the wrong button with the wrong person, and hopefully thinks twice about being a cnut and thief to people who have the common courtesy like letting her use their lighter in future. :pac:

So she gave you the lighter back and apologised? We all do silly things when we're drunk. I think you were a bit mean if she did give it back in the end and apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

petes wrote: »
    So stocking up on booze is better than stocking up on nappies?
    The booze may have been required for a party that night whereas they might have had enough nappies at home to last another couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Force of habit - I am/was a smoker (been off since last Monday!) and used to do that the odd time. Would stop myself an apologise if I noticed but after lighting thousands and thousands of smokes and putting the lighter in your pocket after, it's almost a motor reflex at that stage. Had it happen to me a good few times too, just point it out and it's really embarrassingly handed back. :p

Then again, it does get VERY annoying when you meet the odd a**ehole who actually tries to deny it - usually after a few drinks.

I remember years ago this happening to me with a girl who was fairly hot (and incredibly up herself), but with a lovely little kicker: she was up from the country with a friend of mine who I had been looking to that night (Coppers, 3am-ish, nuff said... God I hate that place!). The friend (also a girl, not a smoker) had asked if they could stay in mine a few days before, to which I had said not a bother. After the hot friend-of-a-friend stole my lighter and tried to make a show of me getting it back, she got VERY sheepish when she realised she was staying in mine for the night. I was actually quite nice about it when we got back since she couldn't go more than 30 seconds without apologising (two face c**t), planning on getting a petty revenge like no coffee in the morning, but then fortune struck... she had run out of smokes (and in the area, shops are hard to find)!! We stayed up drinking for a few more hours, and despite all her pleas, puppy dog eyes, and even a mild strop, not once did I give her so much as a single drag on any of the 10+ ciggies I had in my own pack. And of course, I happily broke my own "no smoking inside" rule that night.

Might sound like nothing to non-smokers here, but to anyone who loves a smoke when they are drunk you will know how much torture that must have been! None the next morning either, and I made sure we "ran out" of sugar and milk directly after I made my and my friend's coffees... :D

Yeah your definately the stinge bag here, and bit of a w*nker to boot.

The girl said sorry and gav you the lighter back, god the ammount of times I've accidently pocketed someone's lighter it's a force of habbit. I'd have given her a smoke, or probably just gone out and found a shop so we could all have one. But then again I'm not tight like that I prefer everyone to be having a good time when their in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The booze may have been required for a party that night whereas they might have had enough nappies at home to last another couple of days.

It's a bloody urban myth/came from a comedy sketch show. How have you still not understood this fact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Certainly is. And she deserved every bit of it for trying to steal my lighter and insulting me when I asked for it back, claiming it was hers. Karma was a bitch that night, in her case. :D

EDIT: And for the record I'd usually happily give away 3/4s of a pack if people were stuck (just not the last one! But I would leave half drag of that too). She just pushed the wrong button with the wrong person, and hopefully thinks twice about being a cnut and thief to people who have the common courtesy like letting her use their lighter in future. :pac:

You my friend have a lot to learn. Throw a dog a bone and sometimes, you get fed ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Birneybau wrote: »
    It's a bloody urban myth/came from a comedy sketch show. How have you still not understood this fact?

Its not, a similar thing happened to me, basket of shopping ,bread milk ham cheese booze and cigs. Not enough money so left back the grub.

Food was needed as they only bought when they needed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

There was a place I used work years ago labouring. The rule more or less was we would all throw a £1 or £2 into the pot for milk and biscuits etc for the kitchen each week.

After a while it became apparent there was one particular fella who rode this. He was also a smoker who never had fags, yet was always smoking. So, it was decided he would be got.

I am not sure what it is called, but there is some sort of oil, which when mixed with water goes milky white. So we obviously put a litre of this into the fridge, knowing our guy would be first to use it despite never ever having paid his way.

The look on his face when he tasted his tea was utterly priceless. As was the look on his face for the rest of the day as he couldn't shift the awful taste from his mouth.

Its the little things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

maguic24 wrote: »
    So she gave you the lighter back and apologised? We all do silly things when we're drunk. I think you were a bit mean if she did give it back in the end and apologise.

Am I the only one here who feels sympathy for Billy? I mean the way he said it at least, he was charitable enough to lend her his lighter, she presumably forgot it wasn't hers, but instead of apologising and returning it, she started insulting him in public and saying he was a weirdo for asking for it back. All this after he presumably asked fairly politely. I myself cannot stand that type of person, even more so if they believe their superior looks give them a free pass to be as rude as they want to others.

So then, once again, if I understood correctly, she only started apologising and then overly so, ONLY after she realised to her horror that Billy was the mysterious person who was putting her up for the night, otherwise it would have been the last thing she would have been inclined to do.

I generally think two wrongs don't make a right, but as already mentioned that type of person really rubs me up the wrong way and I can easily see myself doing something similar if put in his situation. Plus it's not as if he tortured and mutilated her. While not being able to smoke when drunk for a smoker may well be tough (but not life-threatening let's be clear), she can live with not having sugar and milk in her tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

briantwin wrote: »
    When you'rer that stingey im sure you'd count the number of chips you'd get in McDonalds because you'd think they were trying to rip you off.

They are skinny chips anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

OnTheCouch wrote: »
    Am I the only one here who feels sympathy for Billy? I mean the way he said it at least, he was charitable enough to lend her his lighter, she presumably forgot it wasn't hers, but instead of apologising and returning it, she started insulting him in public and saying he was a weirdo for asking for it back. All this after he presumably asked for it back fairly politely. I myself cannot stand that type of person, even more so if they believe their superior looks give them a free pass to be as rude as they want to others.

So then, once again, if I understood correctly she only started apologising and then annoyingly overly so, ONCE she realised to her horror that Billy was the mysterious person who was putting her up for the night, otherwise it would have been the last thing she would have been inclined to do.

I generally think two wrongs don't make a right, but as already mentioned that type of person really rubs me up the wrong way and I can easily see myself doing something similar if put in his situation. Plus it's not as if he tortured and mutilated her, while not being able to smoke when drunk for a smoker may well be tough, (but not life-threatening let's be clear), she can live with not having sugar and milk in her tea.

I would be concerned for Billy, when she is relaying the story some facts may be left out and Billy would be seen as something he is not.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Will everyone stop beating around the bush and come out with it. Billy did you get the leg over after all that went on?.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

ken wrote: »
    Will everyone stop beating around the bush and come out with it. Billy did you get the leg over after all that went on?.

Of course he didn't !

He was so keen to tell us how hot she is, I am sure he would have told us that he got his end away too !

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

cofy wrote: »
    I would be concerned for Billy, when she is relaying the story some facts may be left out and Billy would be seen as something he is not.:(

Undoubtedly so, but that's something the majority of us do at some point or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Maybe she wasn't asking for a blow of his cigarette after all?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Am I the only one here who feels sympathy for Billy? I mean the way he said it at least, he was charitable enough to lend her his lighter, she presumably forgot it wasn't hers, but instead of apologising and returning it, she started insulting him in public and saying he was a weirdo for asking for it back.

Yeah, very surprised to see Billy getting any abuse.

It was clearly a case where the girl hadn't made a mistake, she knew damn well it was his lighter but she was an entitled cow who simply thought she would keep it. And her way to do that was to just demean Billy until he went away. I'd bet she acts like that all the time, that she thinks men are just there to amuse her and bow at her feet.

People say that she apologised but they have missed the point. The only reason she apologised was when she realised that she needed something from Billy, and that makes it meaningless. You think if he had been some random fella she would have apologised? No feckin chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Was it a diamond encrusted lighter that had been passed down through your family since the fall of Troy or something? Because otherwise there is no possible way you're coming out of that story as anything other than the twat, sorry.
    It wasn't about the lighter, it was about her being a complete twat to me in front of her mates, when I a) didn't know her or any of the people she was with at all (our mutual friend was at the bar) and b), had done nothing to deserve that, unless letting someone use your lighter is something you should be abused over and entitles them to blatantly rob it on you (esp. when they don't exactly sell them inside the place).
    maguic24 wrote: »
    Irishcrx wrote: »
    Yeah your definately the stinge bag here, and bit of a w*nker to boot.

The girl said sorry and gav you the lighter back, god the ammount of times I've accidently pocketed someone's lighter it's a force of habbit. I'd have given her a smoke, or probably just gone out and found a shop so we could all have one. But then again I'm not tight like that I prefer everyone to be having a good time when their in my house.
    Maybe I should have clarified this actually, looking at the responses... she gave me the lighter back about half an hour AFTER the fact (not immediately after), when our mutual friend introduced me to her (having not known about the earlier incident). Even then, she only apologised and gave it back 2-3 mins later again, AFTER it was mentioned that it was my place they were staying in. Up until that point she had been more than happy to pocket it, keep it and tell me to go f'k myself as she was with a half dozen mates and basically none of mine smoke.
    MugMugs wrote: »
    You my friend have a lot to learn. Throw a dog a bone and sometimes, you get fed ! ;)
    I was seeing someone at the time - might have been tempted to be nice otherwise :pac:. And don't worry, I don't have any issues there. ;)
    Am I the only one here who feels sympathy for Billy? I mean the way he said it at least, he was charitable enough to lend her his lighter, she presumably forgot it wasn't hers, but instead of apologising and returning it, she started insulting him in public and saying he was a weirdo for asking for it back. All this after he presumably asked for it back fairly politely. I myself cannot stand that type of person, even more so if they believe their superior looks give them a free pass to be as rude as they want to others.
    Cheers, that was EXACTLY it... almost :p. She definitely didn't "forget" since there was only about 10-15 seconds between when I gave her the lighter and when I asked for it back (with a smoke hanging out of my mouth in her field of vision, which she had ignored). Yet when she found out I was the person who she was relying on to have a roof over her head that night, she immediately gave it back (without being asked this time) and did one of the biggest U-turns I've ever seen.
    Yeah, very surprised to see Billy getting any abuse.

It was clearly a case where the girl hadn't made a mistake, she knew damn well it was his lighter but she was an entitled cow who simply thought she would keep it. And her way to do that was to just demean Billy until he went away. I'd bet she acts like that all the time, that she thinks men are just there to amuse her and bow at her feet.
    ...and THIS is why I mentioned that she was quite hot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Only came across this thread today.

Suffice to say I have had more productive days at work.

Witnessed a mega stinge today,
    One of the lads is finishing up today so 8 of us went down to the greasy spoon for a fry.
    ordered 7 frys and one fella ordered a cup of tea.
    Sat down and started chatting and the boss said he's expense the breakfast so that was grand.
    10 mins later the food starts coming out and the fella that ordered the tea takes one and starts digging in!
    Nobody copped what he was at until we were short a breakfast.
    The scabby ****er only took it because it was free!
    One of the others had to wait another 5 mins while they cooked another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

urbanledge wrote: »
    Witnessed a mega stinge today,
    One of the lads is finishing up today so 8 of us went down to the greasy spoon for a fry.
    ordered 7 frys and one fella ordered a cup of tea.
    Sat down and started chatting and the boss said he's expense the breakfast so that was grand.
    10 mins later the food starts coming out and the fella that ordered the tea takes one and starts digging in!
    Nobody copped what he was at until we were short a breakfast.
    The scabby ****er only took it because it was free!
    One of the others had to wait another 5 mins while they cooked another one.

Meh, never look a gift horse in the mouth and that. Probably should have waited and asked for his own fry and let the guy who had ordered get his first. But to say it was a mega stinge, I think is a bit much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Maybe I should have clarified this actually, looking at the responses... she gave me the lighter back about half an hour AFTER the fact (not immediately after), when our mutual friend introduced me to her (having not known about the earlier incident). Even then, she only apologised and gave it back 2-3 mins later again, AFTER it was mentioned that it was my place they were staying in. Up until that point she had been more than happy to pocket it, keep it and tell me to go f'k myself as she was with a half dozen mates and basically none of mine smoke.

Ahhh...that changes the whole story then. She was being a *insert politically incorrect term here*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Can see where the misunderstanding was so, I was fairly sleepy when I made the post last night. Little details, eh! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

joeguevara wrote: »
    Meh, never look a gift horse in the mouth and that. Probably should have waited and asked for his own fry and let the guy who had ordered get his first. But to say it was a mega stinge, I think is a bit much.

I think it is mega stinge. Someone should have said something and embarrassed the tw*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

gramar wrote: »
    Originally Posted by apache peahead viewpost.gif
    fella i know who works as a casher in supervalu once told me about a guy who had a shoppin trolley full of vodka , lager and a pack of nappies, after scannin all the items at the till and realising he was a bit short ,he said,,
    wait hold on a minute i'll jus put the nappies back,

I always thought that that story was a bit of an urban myth.

Used to work in a large retail chain myself, really did happen all the time!

Also, I used to always find random items left on the alcohol aisle as if people had a massive dilemma in what to buy, them johnnies or the crate of beer, that pack of tampons or the bottle of wine, the rack of clothing I just spent 2 hours trying on or the bottle of vodka, alcohol always won out! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I was working in a Spar many years ago and the price of a sliced pan went up a couple of pence, taking it from below £1 to just over £1. A customer can up I scanned the bread and asked for the £1 and change. He was appalled at the price, giving out to me about the prices, like I had any control on the price. Anyway he went off on a rant and said he would go else where to get his bread. At least 30 minutes later he returns with his bread and receipt to show me how the bread was 2 pence cheaper at the shop a 15 minute walk away! I don't know about him but my time was more valuable than 4 pence an hour.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2 emily wainwright

If enough people give out about a price it will come down. Shopkeepers will fleece people if they are let away with it. It is a pity more people don't complain about prices in shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

If enough people give out about a price it will come down. Shopkeepers will fleece people if they are let away with it. It is a pity more people don't complain about prices in shops.

Seriously could you make a more sweeping generalisation about shopkeepers ? Maybe they eat their babies as well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The best complaint to make is to stop spending there. Worked with hotels

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I was working in a Spar many years ago and the price of a sliced pan went up a couple of pence, taking it from below to just over A customer can up I scanned the bread and asked for the and change. He was appalled at the price, giving out to me about the prices, like I had any control on the price. Anyway he went off on a rant and said he would go else where to get his bread. At least 30 minutes later he returns with his bread and receipt to show me how the bread was 2 pence cheaper at the shop a 15 minute walk away! I don't know about him but my time was more valuable than 4 pence an hour.

Years ago my father and my grandfather were giving out stink about tuppence going on the price of a pint. My grandmother said to my mother, 'Do you hear them two whinging about the pint going up tuppence? You never hear them complaining about the price of bread, butter, milk or eggs going up.' My grandfather answered, 'If drink was cheap enough there'd be plenty of money left for bread, butter, milk and eggs.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    I think it is mega stinge. Someone should have said something and embarrassed the tw*t.

Why? It was going on expenses! No one at the table was paying for it. Don't tell me you would turn down a free lunch. Tax write off, bail write in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement