Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Grayson wrote: »
    A girl in work was doing a sponsored walk and was asking everyone for sponsorship. I took a look at the sponsorship book and it was all €20 euro pledges.
    What was the thing she was doing? A 5k dog walk for some animal charity. No fecking way I'm giving someone 20 quid to do a walk that's shorter than the walk I do to and from work. She looked at me like I was the stingiest fecker there.

So true. It was an epidemic there for a while - People expecting you to sponsor them to walk across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

joeguevara wrote: »
    Why? It was going on expenses! No one at the table was paying for it. Don't tell me you would turn down a free lunch. Tax write off, bail write in.

He ate somebody else's lunch,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

If enough people give out about a price it will come down. Shopkeepers will fleece people if they are let away with it. It is a pity more people don't complain about prices in shops.

To till workers who have no control over the price and don't give a **** about your opinion on the matter?

Yep - that'll really work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Shelflife wrote: »
    Seriously could you make a more sweeping generalisation about shopkeepers ? Maybe they eat their babies as well!!

jelly babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

emzolita wrote: »
    He ate somebody else's lunch,

Somebody else's free lunch. I already said he should have waited and ordered his own. But it wasn't mega stinge. It would have been if it was one of the guys paying it, but it was the company.

I think he should have ordered two!

• Advertisement

Somebody else's free lunch. I already said he should have waited and ordered his own. But it wasn't mega stinge. It would have been if it was one of the guys paying it, but it was the company.

I think he should have ordered two!

It is stingy. He was too mean to order anything when he thought he had to pay but had no trouble tucking in when he saw it was free (for him). Doing that is stingy and you look like a tit.

Every summer in the village where I live theres a barbaque for all the residents. It's the usual fare, Spanish sausage, chicken, ribs, sardines etc

There's a couple who I have always taken for being a bit stingy and I before we
    sat down to eat I joked with the missus that they would eat for a week seeing as it was free. By jaysus I wasn't wrong and they piled their plates high and went back for seconds thirds and fourths and drained a bottle and a half of wine and nearly a 2l bottle of coke between them to wash it all down.

It was only after I realised that it wasn't in fact free and that it was 7e a head. Fair enough I thought and I went to pay. There was a list with all the names and a tick beside them to indicate if they'd paid or not. I was one of the last to pay so there were ticks beside almost all of the names except of course these two. I said it to the missus and she told me that surprise surprise they'd already left.

Now before anyone gets on me back I know they might have paid before or were going to pay after but to me it was no surprise that those who filled their boots the most would be the ones who left early and didn't pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

gramar wrote: »
    It is stingy. He was too mean to order anything when he thought he had to pay but had no trouble tucking in when he saw it was free (for him). Doing that is stingy and you look like a tit.

Fair enough. I'm entitled to my opinion. Don't see the need to get personal. But each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Fair enough. I'm entitled to my opinion. Don't see the need to get personal. But each to their own.

I don't think he was calling you a tit more so the lunch thief. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

MugMugs wrote: »
    I don't think he was calling you a tit more so the lunch thief. :)

We could avoid these misunderstandings if people would use proper grammar.
    Doing that is stingy and makes one look like a tit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

dorkacle wrote: »
    Used to work in a large retail chain myself, really did happen all the time!

Also, I used to always find random items left on the alcohol aisle as if people had a massive dilemma in what to buy, them johnnies or the crate of beer, that pack of tampons or the bottle of wine, the rack of clothing I just spent 2 hours trying on or the bottle of vodka, alcohol always won out! :rolleyes:

How do you know alcohol always won out? If alcohol didn't win then you'd never have known about the dilemma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

ken wrote: »
    Will everyone stop beating around the bush and come out with it. Billy did you get the leg over after all that went on?.

Of course not. Billy was up all night guarding the lighter and hoovering the sugar bowl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Katgurl wrote: »
    So true. It was an epidemic there for a while - People expecting you to sponsor them to walk across the road.

Never mind that, what about the dopes looking for money to jump out of a plane? Er...here's an idea, I'll pay you not to.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Every summer in the village where I live theres a barbaque for all the residents. It's the usual fare, Spanish sausage, chicken, ribs, sardines etc

wat

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

I took that to mean chorizo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

conzy wrote: »
    wat

Imagine, out foreign, with their foreign food and foreign customs. Bahh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I am pie wrote: »

Feckin yuppies no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I am pie wrote: »

Out there they probably just call it sausage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Out there they probably just call it sausage.

Not if they don't speak English ;)

guttenberg wrote: »
    I took that to mean chorizo?

That's it chorizo and morcilla and sardines are bbq'd here too sometimes although none of them made it to my plate. The stingy effers sitting across from me had them all eaten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

That's it chorizo and morcilla and sardines are bbq'd here too sometimes although none of them made it to my plate. The stingy effers sitting across from me had them all eaten.

Not derail thread , but Sardines BBQ'D ,What are they like ? good ???

ROCKMAN wrote: »

They're not bad even though I'm not a big fan of them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭CatLou

ROCKMAN wrote: »

THEY ARE AWESOME

God I miss them :''(

Have them with bread and BBQd peppers, yummi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

gavingaz wrote: »
    A mate of mine has smegma at the moment and the stingy bollix wont pay to see a doctor. The rest of us in d apartment have to put up with the stink of cheese in d apartment now.

I'll light a candle for him at mass <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

gavingaz wrote: »
    A mate of mine has smegma at the moment and the stingy bollix wont pay to see a doctor. The rest of us in d apartment have to put up with the stink of cheese in d apartment now.

A doctor? Surely a shower would sort that out. Even just a rinse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Once in college, I accidentally walked into the office next to the one where I was supposed to hand in an assignment (the plaque was between the two doors). I apologized for walking in but noticed a stapler on the desk and, even though it was probably a bit weird, asked if I could just use it to stick the sheets together. I was told "no" with a strange sort of smile.

It just seems like not giving a staple is pretty stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Petrol money.

How do you organise getting it & calculating it? I offered to drive to a festival/event from Dublin to Offaly -picked my friend up near his house ( 20k detour) -drive there two hours or so, & then back. They had said they'd give petrol money & I said OK -at the end of the days driving they made a big deal of handing me a tenner.

I was so mortified that I was paralysed into saying nothing . They drive & well know the price of petrol.

We were also talking recently about how they were driving their flatmate to work & he was paying a fiver a trip :( ( 10 minute drive).

The awful thing is that I now really think the less of them for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Petrol money.

How do you organise getting it & calculating it? I offered to drive to a festival/event from Dublin to Offaly -picked my friend up near his house ( 20k detour) -drive there two hours or so, & then back. They had said they'd give petrol money & I said OK -at the end of the days driving they made a big deal of handing me a tenner.

I was so mortified that I was paralysed into saying nothing . They drive & well know the price of petrol.

We were also talking recently about how they were driving their flatmate to work & he was paying a fiver a trip :( ( 10 minute drive).

The awful thing is that I now really think the less of them for it.

Real friends would hand over the money straight away. If they make a big deal out if it then forget about them and don't bother with them anymore. You should not be made to feel uncomfortable by any friend whether you are doing them a favour or not. They are showing a lack of respect towards you, and if you don't receive respect you will be continuously taken advantage of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Billy86 wrote: »
    Certainly is. And she deserved every bit of it for trying to steal my lighter and insulting me when I asked for it back, claiming it was hers. Karma was a bitch that night, in her case. :D

EDIT: And for the record I'd usually happily give away 3/4s of a pack if people were stuck (just not the last one! But I would leave half drag of that too). She just pushed the wrong button with the wrong person, and hopefully thinks twice about being a cnut and thief to people who have the common courtesy like letting her use their lighter in future. :pac:

So a hot girl who really drunk and was staying in ur place made a mistake....u really showed her. Maybe u had been hoping of getting the ride and she made it clear u would not be so u decided to be a pr1ck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

So a hot girl who really drunk and was staying in ur place made a mistake....u really showed her. Maybe u had been hoping of getting the ride and she made it clear u would not be so u decided to be a pr1ck.

I think you missed the full version. She comes out worse in that :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement