Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Petrol money.

How do you organise getting it & calculating it? I offered to drive to a festival/event from Dublin to Offaly -picked my friend up near his house ( 20k detour) -drive there two hours or so, & then back. They had said they'd give petrol money & I said OK -at the end of the days driving they made a big deal of handing me a tenner.

I was so mortified that I was paralysed into saying nothing . They drive & well know the price of petrol.
    Simple solution a friend of mine came up with: Pick up the money before you come home. If they don't want to pay or once again magically "ran out of money", they can sort out their own way back. He has refused to let people back because they "don't have the money" after a big weekend (if it's someone he knows is reliable with money, he'll let them back - done so for once or twice), but otherwise no. He got done too many times by cheap friends in Australia for it where 'the drive' can be a LOT longer with petrol coming often to €30+ per person (split 3-4 ways).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Another solution re collecting petrol money is stop for petrol on the way, no excuses for not ponying up the money when you're actually filling up the car.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

So a hot girl who really drunk and was staying in ur place made a mistake....u really showed her. Maybe u had been hoping of getting the ride and she made it clear u would not be so u decided to be a pr1ck.
    You really should read something in full before diving on an opportunity to throw in judgement. Helps prevent you from looking like a fool in the event that, I don't know, I was seeing someone else and have pointed this out. And even had I not been, I don't have a habit of getting involved with absolute wagons devoid of personality no matter how good they look - it reeks of desperation, they don't deserve the satisfaction, and the sex just would not be fun. :)

But sure Jaysus now, don't go letting minor things like details get in the way of your chance to judge someone in an attempt to feel better about your own self! :pac:
    Of course not. Billy was up all night guarding the lighter and hoovering the sugar bowl.
    Kind of the same as above... but this one did at least make me laugh. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If your going way out of your way to collect someone going somewhere I'd go with my friends tried and trusted, third to half the price of a taxi from my house to yours extra depending on how much he likes the person. Lets them know up front too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It really depends on what way the arrangement to drive down was done. If it was the three of ye and ye decided to go and you said "Sure I'll drive and ye can throw me some money for petrol" then a tenner isn't enough because you decided you'd drive based on the fact you were expecting adequate money from them. If you were driving anyway, and then you just offered them a lift, then a tenner is more than enough because you're getting a tenner for driving 20km which is good for mates rates. Bascially it can be seen as stingey or not depending on the context of what way you came to your decision to drive down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Dr hoRse

C14N wrote: »
    Once in college, I accidentally walked into the office next to the one where I was supposed to hand in an assignment (the plaque was between the two doors). I apologized for walking in but noticed a stapler on the desk and, even though it was probably a bit weird, asked if I could just use it to stick the sheets together. I was told "no" with a weird sort of smile.

It just seems like not giving a staple is pretty stingy.

I'd say that's the reason, more so than someone being stingy

knock knock 'oops sorry, wrong office, can I use your stapler?'

"ehhh... no,"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Dr hoRse wrote: »
    I'd say that's the reason, more so than someone being stingy

knock knock 'oops sorry, wrong office, can I use your stapler?'

"ehhh... no,"

I can't figure out why he intended handing in an unstapled copy of his assignment, surely it'll get lost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

C14N wrote: »
    Once in college, I accidentally walked into the office next to the one where I was supposed to hand in an assignment (the plaque was between the two doors). I apologized for walking in but noticed a stapler on the desk and, even though it was probably a bit weird, asked if I could just use it to stick the sheets together. I was told "no" with a weird sort of smile.

It just seems like not giving a staple is pretty stingy.

Did you go to DCU by any chance? Story sounds very familiar and the lecturers located beside the assignment boxes are a bit anal when it comes to people borrowing staplers. I'd say they are just sick of peeps coming in, asking to use the stapler all the time. In fairness, you can see where they're coming from, I don't blame them for saying no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

maguic24 wrote: »
    Did you go to DCU by any chance? Story sounds very familiar and the lecturers located beside the assignment boxes are a bit anal when it comes to people borrowing staplers. I'd say they are just sick of peeps coming in, asking to use the stapler all the time. In fairness, you can see where they're coming from, I don't blame them for saying no.

It's common in a lot of colleges, I don't mind it as such as I understand the idea of not giving out office supplies (or whatever).

I asked to use a stapler at the student information desk in my college before. Well the condescending tone I got in return was as if I had committed a sin by asking.

It doesn't take a heavy amount of politeness for to explain why they cant give stuff out. I just find a lot of them are a bit ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Quazzie wrote: »
    It really depends on what way the arrangement to drive down was done. If it was the three of ye and ye decided to go and you said "Sure I'll drive and ye can throw me some money for petrol" then a tenner isn't enough because you decided you'd drive based on the fact you were expecting adequate money from them. If you were driving anyway, and then you just offered them a lift, then a tenner is more than enough because you're getting a tenner for driving 20km which is good for mates rates. Bascially it can be seen as stingey or not depending on the context of what way you came to your decision to drive down.

Thanks -no -it was a 20k drive out of my way to pick them up & then a return drive from Dublin to Offaly -2 hours each way !!!! :0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Thanks -no -it was a 20k drive out of my way to pick them up & then a return drive from Dublin to Offaly -2 hours each way !!!! :0

How does it take 2 hours to get to Offaly from Dublin? You'd wanna be coming from the furthest point in Dublin to the furthest point in Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

How does it take 2 hours to get to Offaly from Dublin? You'd wanna be coming from the furthest point in Dublin to the furthest point in Offaly.

Practically , yes! And With an additional 20k detour!!! And I only drive at the speed limit -so it takes a little longer : )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Practically , yes! And With an additional 20k detour!!! And I only drive at the speed limit -so it takes a little longer : )
    You should have stuck them for the money alright. But put it down as a lesson learned in relation to getting money earlier in general and what you do for these two fiends on particular. Also make sure they return the favour for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

urbanledge wrote: »
    Witnessed a mega stinge today,
    One of the lads is finishing up today so 8 of us went down to the greasy spoon for a fry.
    ordered 7 frys and one fella ordered a cup of tea.
    Sat down and started chatting and the boss said he's expense the breakfast so that was grand.
    10 mins later the food starts coming out and the fella that ordered the tea takes one and starts digging in!
    Nobody copped what he was at until we were short a breakfast.
    The scabby ****er only took it because it was free!
    One of the others had to wait another 5 mins while they cooked another one.

This is cheeky and rude... but not necessarily stingy.

Work going away lunches/breakfasts/whatever can be a pain in the ass, for whatever reason, someone might not be able to afford it that month. It's happen me. :( So, maybe he couldn't afford to order one. BUT obviously when he found out it was going on expenses, he should have got up and ordered his, not taken someone else's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

OnTheCouch wrote: »
    Am I the only one here who feels sympathy for Billy?

Yup. People were missing the point by focussing on the lighter. The problem was her entitled attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Real friends would hand over the money straight away. If they make a big deal out if it then forget about them and don't bother with them anymore. You should not be made to feel uncomfortable by any friend whether you are doing them a favour or not. They are showing a lack of respect towards you, and if you don't receive respect you will be continuously taken advantage of.

Yeah, if you're going to chip in, do so straight up and no messing. However, I find, real real friends don't chip in, it's just one in a cycle of favours in life and it will balance out in the long run. Maybe that's an age thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

However, I find, real real friends don't chip in, it's just one in a cycle of favours in life and it will balance out in the long run. Maybe that's an age thing.

This is very true. I know among my group of friends we would always offer each other money for petrol when we go on trips together, but it's nearly like a long-running joke, because we all offer and none of us accept. But whoever got the free lift will buy lunch or dinner or drive the next time so it all works out in the end. I think it's about knowing your friends too; when you know none of them are tight or trying to take advantage it's very easy for stuff like petrol money to become meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Billy86 wrote: »
    You really should read something in full before diving on an opportunity to throw in judgement. Helps prevent you from looking like a fool in the event that, I don't know, I was seeing someone else and have pointed this out. And even had I not been, I don't have a habit of getting involved with absolute wagons devoid of personality no matter how good they look - it reeks of desperation, they don't deserve the satisfaction, and the sex just would not be fun. :)

But sure Jaysus now, don't go letting minor things like details get in the way of your chance to judge someone in an attempt to feel better about your own self! :pac:

Kind of the same as above... but this one did at least make me laugh. :D

I did read it, u still sound like a piece of work to sit there and smoke 10 fags without sharing, then again I didn't meet her.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Umbreal

So, I've spent the last few weeks reading this and had to log in from a while of lurking to post my own stingy stories.

These stories are all about my dad because he is just so stingy when it comes to certain things and I have never met anyone like him. My dad used to be a builder and if anyone has a builder parent, you'll know they build everyone else's house perfectly but scab on their own.

When my parents built their house, they realised they built too modest of a house and set about extending it. So they built on a master bedroom, another bed room and a sun room. To build on the sunroom, my dad took out a big sliding door leading from the kitchen/living room area to the outside. To save on throwing out this doors and to save on bricks and cement, my dad put the sliding door in the other bedroom. It looks completely stupid in a bedroom and that coupled with the Stira door to the converted attic makes the room just too cold to use a bedroom so they now just use it as a storage room despite is being the second biggest bedroom in the house. :rolleyes:

Then seeing as they built on a master bedroom with a closet and en-suite, I moved into their old en-suite room while I was still living at home. I was so excited to finally have my own bathroom. However, to save on buying a new bathroom, my dad converted my bathroom to a walk in closet and used the shower, toilet, bath and sink in his own en-suite. I didn't really mind this because huge closet did suit me more. I swear he would have tried to reuse the tiles if he hadn't of bought them so cheap in the first place that they all cracked upon pulling them up.

Then when they were painting their master bedroom my mam picked out some really nice paint. Turns out it saved a few pence to get paint mixed than to buy that specific paint so my dad got the colour mixed up. Of course, it came out nothing like the original picked colour and had to be repainted. :P

Then you've got the regular stuff such as him buying the cheapest doors/kitchen/fireplace/fittings money could buy and now they haven't stood the test of time and are falling apart in places but my dad is too mean to get them replaced. Not to mention every window and door in the house is an off-size window gotten for cheap because someone else never wanted it.

He skimped on the insulation in the attic so in the winter he just moves the insulation from above the rooms we don't move use much to above the rooms we do. :D

He also shops for the food for the house because he works in town and my mam doesn't. Apparently he takes great pride in doing a super cheap shop despite them having to live on tinned food and awful home brands items. Then since starting to do the shopping, he's become ridiculously obsessed about what gets used in the house and now expects J-Cloths and the likes to be washed and re-used.

I did read it, u still sound like a piece of work to sit there and smoke 10 fags without sharing, then again I didn't meet her.
    So just to get this straight, if someone stole from you and more importantly, decided to try and make a holy show of you in front of a bunch of their mates, only to then turn around and become your "best friend" when they realise they need you to put a roof over their head that night (or else go scouring for a hotel somewhere)... what would you have done?

If your answer is that you would've given her all the smokes she wanted, then going by your initial post you only would have only done so because she was hot and you would be trying to get the ride. In other words, she'd have used her looks to wrap you around her little finger like she surely does with many an eejit. I mean, you are fully willing to write her twatish behaviour off as "a mistake" (implying that if she hadn't been staying at mine, it would have been fine), which really says it all.

I would've gladly given as many smokes to our mutual friend as she had wanted, only she doesn't smoke. This had nothing to do with lighters, cigarettes and sugar and everything to do with principles. Some people have them, some don't, and some others will throw them out the window because a girls' looks makes them feel all funny downstairs. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Me thinks the billy doth protest too much :)

osarusan wrote: »
    Me thinks the billy doth protest too much :)
    Nah, just not a fan of people who eagerly attempt to put others down in an attempt to make them feel better about themselves (the girl). Or people who jump to conclusions in an desperate attempt for an opportunity to be judgemental (BoardsMember - still eager to know why he would have allowed her treat him like sh!t and then still give her whatever she wanted... besides her being hot?). Two 'very Irish traits' that we tend to kind of brush over, or pretend are not there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Billy86 wrote: »
    Nah, just not a fan of people who eagerly attempt to put others down in an attempt to make them feel better about themselves (the girl). Or people who jump to conclusions in an desperate attempt for an opportunity to be judgemental (BoardsMember - still eager to know why he would have allowed her treat him like sh!t and then still give her whatever she wanted... besides her being hot?). Two 'very Irish traits' that we tend to kind of brush over, or pretend are not there. :)

Too much lighter talk....... Unsubscribe!!!! I it was good while it lasted lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

Was at a family get together which happen every 8 years or so. I am from a small family 4 of us, aunt, uncle and wife and then another lot of 6. When the bill came my family of four paid 25% of the bill. The single aunt paid 25%. The uncle and wife paid 25%. The other lot got away with a disproportionately low bill and are still bellyaching about how much it cost them. On the way out the door there was a mint bowl by the cash register, they actually emptied it of mints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Was at a family get together which happen every 8 years or so. I am from a small family 4 of us, aunt, uncle and wife and then another lot of 6. When the bill came my family of four paid 25% of the bill. The single aunt paid 25%. The uncle and wife paid 25%. The other lot got away with a disproportionately low bill and are still bellyaching about how much it cost them. On the way out the door there was a mint bowl by the cash register, they actually emptied it of mints.

I thought you were going to say they emptied the cash register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Umbreal wrote: »
    He skimped on the insulation in the attic so in the winter he just moves the insulation from above the rooms we don't move use much to above the rooms we do. :D

Seriously, this is one of the funniest things I've read on Boards.ie. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I'm waiting for the single aunt to come on here and give out about the family of four paying the same amount as she did!

joeguevara wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the single aunt to come on here and give out about the family of four paying the same amount as she did!

lol! She can't use the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

lol! She can't use the internet.

A question, why did you think it was ok for the 4 of you to pay the same as the aunt? Why didn't you split the bill evenly between everyone?

• Advertisement

I should probably clarify. My single aunt and uncle and wife had already paid their portions. It was then announced 25% each. My mother objected saying we would owe more as 4/13. But they had already paid. It was the others that complained. We in the 4 were also holding a party afterward at our expense and housing many of them as well. It's not that we didn't want to pay more but they had already paid.
    The family of 6 constantly complained about the price of the meal and how much they had to pay.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement