Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I've just managed to drag my chin off the floor so I thought I'd post this. The financial controller of where I work has got to be the stingiest, meanest most tight-fisted woman I ever met. I doubt she even farts because it would mean letting go of something without making a quick buck.

Anyyyyyway, she has just been in my office this morning and we were talking about buying stuff online. She said that she buys some clothes online (probably bought direct from blind children with leprosy to save on tax) and she said that when a website says for example "Postage free on all orders over £50", she buys goods for in excess of £50 (even if her item costs £2.99) and then returns everything she didn't actually want (by free return postage) bar the original item for £2.99 so she doesn't have to pay any postage. Does this regularly apparently.

I also know that if we have clients in and get caterers in to provide lunch, she fills a couple of lunchboxes with various food items so she doesn't bring lunch in for the rest of the week.

It's so hard not to want to strangle her sometimes :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

She wants you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Merkin wrote: »
    I've just managed to drag my chin off the floor so I thought I'd post this. The financial controller of where I work has got to be the stingiest, meanest most tight-fisted woman I ever met. I doubt she even farts because it would mean letting go of something without making a quick buck.

Anyyyyyway, she has just been in my office this morning and we were talking about buying stuff online. She said that she buys some clothes online (probably bought direct from blind children with leprosy to save on tax) and she said that when a website says for example "Postage free on all orders over £50", she buys goods for in excess of £50 (even if her item costs £2.99) and then returns everything she didn't actually want (by free return postage) bar the original item for £2.99 so she doesn't have to pay any postage. Does this regularly apparently.

I also know that if we have clients in and get caterers in to provide lunch, she fills a couple of lunchboxes with various food items so she doesn't bring lunch in for the rest of the week.

We should have a Stinge Awards. Surely a medal contender here. (Although it is great idea to save on postage and packaging! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

We should have a Stinge Awards. Surely a medal contender here. (Although it is great idea to save on postage and packaging! :rolleyes:

She'd probably be too stingy to buy the petrol to drive herself to the Stinge Awards in the first place!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Merkin wrote: »

A woman (in a well-paid position) who knows the value of money - a rare and precious jewel. Is she single, do you know? What part of the country are you in? What is she like, looks-wise?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That woman is just savvy. It's clear why she is a financial controller.
    I've bought stuff online that I did not need purely to get the free shipping option, don't return them though. Wouldn't the caterer just throw out the unused food anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

snubbleste wrote: »
    That woman is just savvy. It's clear why she is a financial controller.

She's abusing a company's free shipping policy by deliberately ordering stuff she doesn't want - that's not savvy, it's scabby.
    If enough people had her attitude, the company would either have to charge more for goods to make up for the lost profit, meaning other customers would be effectively paying for her postage - or the company could go out of business, putting people out of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

If enough people give out about a price it will come down. Shopkeepers will fleece people if they are let away with it. It is a pity more people don't complain about prices in shops.

I worked in a few retail jobs when I was in college. People fcuking flew off the handle at me over prices all the time(especially in the small 24 hour petrol station I worked in, though I dunno what people expect there).

Aside from making my day a little more miserable, it changed absolutely nothing. I got a bollocking and the owner/managers continued to set prices to whatever he/they damn well pleased.

In the same 24 hour petrol station mentioned above there used to be a certain group of people(adults) who would come into the shop, walk up to the counter and get down on their hands and knees searching underneath the crisps for change so they could buy some sweets. This was a pretty regular occurrence, and they were all in their 20s-30s.

Bazzo wrote: »

In the same 24 hour petrol station mentioned above there used to be a certain group of people(adults) who would come into the shop, walk up to the counter and get down on their hands and knees searching underneath the crisps for change so they could buy some sweets. This was a pretty regular occurrence, and they were all in their 20s-30s.

I'd love to see that in a film or a play.

• Site Banned Posts: 9 Mr Jake

Know a lad who disposes of all rubbish in the fireplace in the living room or down the jacks. Despises wheelie bin charges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Mr Jake wrote: »
    Know a lad who disposes of all rubbish in the fireplace in the living room or down the jacks. Despises wheelie bin charges

My father takes all his rubbish to work and dumps it there. While he was off work he used to take it to public bins, people like him are the reason the slots are now so much smaller for the rest of us.

My father in law burns all of his rubbish or leaves it out for the rat, yes there is a rat in his back yard (country house) and he is thrilled. The little bugger comes right up to the back door - I don't go to the house any more.

aknitter wrote: »

My father in law burns all of his rubbish or leaves it out for the rat, yes there is a rat in his back yard (country house) and he is thrilled. The little bugger comes right up to the back door - I don't go to the house any more.

A prime candidate for Weil's disease, there. Stay away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

A lot of country folk just burn their rubbish...or maybe it's just the ones I know and for the same reason...bin charges...

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Brian2208

Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit stingey expecting friends to give you money for giving them a lift somewhere if you're going that way anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

i have an auntie and my auntie is my sisters god mother so when we were younger for christmas she would give my sister 50 euro and buy me a selection box

i have an auntie and my auntie is my sisters god mother so when we were younger for christmas she would give my sister 50 euro and buy me a selection box

Bet you still had it all eaten before sis ever got the chance to spend the fifty
    :-) Instant gratification is sometimes underrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

i was doing volunteer work in the summer and we had social get togethers in the evening ,one evening this egotist woman asked did anybody want to go to the beach for a swim, the majority said no as we had no swimming gear , so she kept persisting and eventually everybody said yes, long story short , most of us had no cars so she said shed drive us if we paid 2 euro for petrol, stingy people are often stuk up also,BTW i didn't get in her car ,got a lift and lad driving said we didn't have to give em money

i was doing volunteer work in the summer and we had social get togethers in the evening ,one evening this egotist woman asked did anybody want to go to the beach for a swim, the majority said no as we had no swimming gear , so she kept persisting and eventually everybody said yes...

Reminds me of a legendary busty middle manager in the EU secretariat in Brussels who once got her male underlings to go to a Dutch nudist camp for a weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

How is that stingy? She gives her godchild some cash, it's more than what most of them give. It's the luck of the draw as to whether you get a generous one or not. Instead of being p1ssed off about it just congratulate your sister on her good fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Poorly burned plastic is an awesome way to get cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Brian2208 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit stingey expecting friends to give you money for giving them a lift somewhere if you're going that way anyway?

Saying this as someone who exclusively receives the lifts, I think it's fair enough. They're doing you a favour anyway and it's usually a better deal than public transport. Last December I asked a friend for a lift to the RDS for an exam we were both taking and he asked me to pay half the parking fee. I honestly think I'd be the stingy bollocks if I was the one trying to argue and saying "ah here sure you were going anyway".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

^^^^ He means down the toilet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

No I think it is too. For me it's one of those nonsensical situations where if I was the driver, I would expect the passengers to offer but wouldn't dream of taking it. Likewise if I was a passenger I would offer but be surprised if the driver took it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irritablebaz

all depends, do they have to travel to your home to pick you up? do they have to wait around for you?

i dont mind giving pals a lift into town when they know i am going in but if they have me waiting around while they get their unorganised asses together it annoys me.

on the other hand if you resent chipping in for petrol maybe you should make your own way around anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

bear1 wrote: »
    ^^^^ He means down the toilet

I get that, but what does he throw down there? Disposes all his rubbish in the fireplace or down the jacks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

It would depend if it's on a regular basis, when I was in my teens and starting working 9 miles away, I organised to have a lift from one of the neighbours and I payed an agreed amount every week.

It used to annoy me though when I saw the same guy hitching every day, when he could have easily organised a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

petes wrote: »
    I get that, but what does he throw down there? Disposes all his rubbish in the fireplace or down the jacks!

Ah sorry, I thought you were asking what the phrase meant

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭iMac_Hunt

I'm house sharing at the moment and I bought a 12pk of Hunky Dorys 2 weeks ago. I went home last weekend and had 6 packets left in the cupboard. I arrived back on Monday evening to find my Hunky Dorys replaced with Oakey Dokeys (the Aldi version). I don't mind people taking my food if they're stuck but to take 6 packets and replace them with a cheaper version is stinginess of the highest order.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

iMac_Hunt wrote: »
    I'm house sharing at the moment and I bought a 12pk of Hunky Dorys 2 weeks ago. I went home last weekend and had 6 packets left in the cupboard. I arrived back on Monday evening to find my Hunky Dorys replaced with Oakey Dokeys (the Aldi version). I don't mind people taking my food if they're stuck but to take 6 packets and replace them with a cheaper version is stinginess of the highest order.

You do realise that they're the exact same thing, yeah? As in, literally made in the same factory, on the same production line, but just go into different packaging.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement