Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

iMac_Hunt wrote: »
    I'm house sharing at the moment and I bought a 12pk of Hunky Dorys 2 weeks ago. I went home last weekend and had 6 packets left in the cupboard. I arrived back on Monday evening to find my Hunky Dorys replaced with Oakey Dokeys (the Aldi version). I don't mind people taking my food if they're stuck but to take 6 packets and replace them with a cheaper version is stinginess of the highest order.

Be thankful its not a housemate who just sits at home all day eating your food and never replaces it forcing you to store food in your room.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭iMac_Hunt

Honey-ec wrote: »
    You do realise that they're the exact same thing, yeah? As in, literally made in the same factory, on the same production line, but just go into different packaging.
    It doesn't matter if they are made in the same factory on the same production line.They're not the exact same thing, they don't taste the same.
    Anyway, the point is that someone stole one brand and replaced it with a cheaper brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

It doesn't matter if they are made in the same factory on the same production line.They're not the exact same thing

Er, yes they are. The same crisps, going into two different types of packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭iMac_Hunt

Do you work there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

My old boss used to dry out teabags resuse them again and again, horrible habit

Needless to say never got a raise there :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Starokan wrote: »
    My old boss used to dry out teabags resuse them again and again, horrible habit

Needless to say never got a raise there :pac:

A raise? you didn't even get a decent cup of tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The Guvnor of one of the first pubs I worked in in London nearly 30 years ago (jeez I'm getting old) used to spend the night going around the tables picking up any mineral/mixer bottles with even the slightest drop of leftovers in them. At the end of the night he would plonk himself at a table surrounded by bottles and spend hours making full bottles from the dregs and recapping them for the next day.
    It was the only bit of 'work' he ever did in the place.
    AND he was a retired Metropolitan Police inspector.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The Guvnor of one of the first pubs I worked in in London nearly 30 years ago (jeez I'm getting old) used to spend the night going around the tables picking up any mineral/mixer bottles with even the slightest drop of leftovers in them. At the end of the night he would plonk himself at a table surrounded by bottles and spend hours making full bottles from the dregs and recapping them for the next day.
    It was the only bit of 'work' he ever did in the place.
    AND he was a retired Metropolitan Police inspector.

Bastard! I knew my 7up was flat, he wouldn't believe me! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

I'm house sharing at the moment and I bought a 12pk of Hunky Dorys 2 weeks ago. I went home last weekend and had 6 packets left in the cupboard. I arrived back on Monday evening to find my Hunky Dorys replaced with Oakey Dokeys (the Aldi version). I don't mind people taking my food if they're stuck but to take 6 packets and replace them with a cheaper version is stinginess of the highest order.

Out of order.. if that was done to me I would be looking for a new house mate and if it was Tayto I would be looking at 5 years...
    You do realise that they're the exact same thing, yeah? As in, literally made in the same factory, on the same production line, but just go into different packaging.

Urban myth thread...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Out of order.. if that was done to me I would be looking for a new house mate and if it was Tayto I would be looking at 5 years...

Urban myth thread...:D

I worked many moons ago in an ice cream factory, the same orange splits, choc ices, etc went into the Dunnes, Tesco brands as into their own higher priced brand. Same product / different price range.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Doesn't matter though ... if you use someone else's food without their permission, the least you could do is replace like for like!

Doesn't matter though ... if you use someone else's food without their permission, the least you could do is replace like for like!

The worst is when housemates drink your beer and then replace it with some cheap crap. I has a box of Tiger beer in the fridge which my housemate helped himself to. I came back a few days later and he told me that he had replaced my beer. I assumed he replaced like with like but instead opened my fridge to find a six pack of Dutch Gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Fair enough, even if they are the same, they do seem to taste different. Particularly the buffalo flavour.

Not the point, point is a cheaper brand was substituted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

SV wrote: »
    Fair enough, even if they are the same, they do seem to taste different. Particularly the buffalo flavour. .

The buffalo ones are DEFINITELY different. I think the cheese and onion and salt and vinegar ones are much of a muchness, but the buffalo ones really aren't the same at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Vojera wrote: »
    The buffalo ones are DEFINITELY different. I think the cheese and onion and salt and vinegar ones are much of a muchness, but the buffalo ones really aren't the same at all.

Never saw that coming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Yeah with the crisps it seems like if he paid extra for the Hunky Dories then he deserves to have them replaced. Even if they are the same, he paid good money for that placebo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I actually didn't. Not big on crisps in general but it's still very interesting... any other foods it happens with?
    It doesn't matter if they are made in the same factory on the same production line.They're not the exact same thing, they don't taste the same.
    Anyway, the point is that someone stole one brand and replaced it with a cheaper brand.
    How wouldn't they, though? This screams to me a bit of an experiment I say on TV a few years ago where they got some people who prefer Coke and some who prefer Pepsi and reversed the labels - the Pepsi fans went almost completely for 'Pepsi' (actually Coke) and vice-versa.

They also vox-popped people in shopping centres with both, labelling them as a cheap-looking start up. Almost every single person said they didn't think it was as goo as 'real Coke'. :pac:

Not looking down my nose though, it's an interesting phenomenon that affects all of us - me very much included I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 harry blogs

Guy I used to work with , would go to shop every day - so about 4 or 5 of us gave him money each day .
    he would go to the supermarket at the weekend & stock up with multipack crisps and chocolate and charge us the price of normal size sweets & crisps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Guy I used to work with , would go to shop every day - so about 4 or 5 of us gave him money each day .
    he would go to the supermarket at the weekend & stock up with multipack crisps and chocolate and charge us the price of normal size sweets & crisps

Stingy ????
    Dishonest ..yes
    Genius ....hmmmm:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

You do realise shops buy them cheaper from the suppliers than what they charge and the suppliers buy them cheaper from the makers than what they charge and the makers buy the ingredients cheaper from their suppliers than what they charge.

That's how business works.

What you've done is add an unnecessary additional layer into the supply chain buy not buying the stuff from the supermarket yourself. Your paying for the convenience of it being delivered to your desk in effect.

So really, you've lost any right to complain about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

a debate about crisps is becoming bigger than the onthological argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Where did he stash the stuff on a daily basis? Where was he going when he was supposed to be going to the shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Mrs Geeky's granny is one of those people who take pride in getting one over on the world. She can be hugely generous, but she's spectacularly stingy in the day-to-day.

Anyway, her husband had treatment for cancer a while back, and he's going into the same hospital again for an unrelated procedure. They were talking about the coffee shops in the hospital - there's two, apparently, including a nice one - but Granny announced that she won't go to either of them while she's waiting. Not when they give out free tea and coffee for the day patients in the oncology ward.

So, to save herself €2.50, she's going to toddle on down to the ward, impinge on the privacy of cancer patients while they're being treated, and take their coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Chris Dolmeth

geeky wrote: »
    Mrs Geeky's granny......
    Jaysus, that's bad!
    That's one step off taking the sweets from the pediatric ward!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The granny is right. Hospital eateries are a rip-off.
    She should bring in a flask of tae.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

snubbleste wrote: »
    The granny is right. Hospital eateries are a rip-off.
    She should bring in a flask of tae.

Right? Is she fu ck. She should be ashamed of herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Billy86 wrote: »
    This screams to me a bit of an experiment I say on TV a few years ago where they got some people who prefer Coke and some who prefer Pepsi and reversed the labels - the Pepsi fans went almost completely for 'Pepsi' (actually Coke) and vice-versa.

They also vox-popped people in shopping centres with both, labelling them as a cheap-looking start up. Almost every single person said they didn't think it was as goo as 'real Coke'.

This (the sip test and the labelling issue) is covered in Blink, well worth a read.

In short Sip tests are not an especially good indicator of what people actually like to drink.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepsi_Challenge#Criticism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

This (the sip test and the labelling issue) is covered in Blink, well worth a read.

In short Sip tests are not an especially good indicator of what people actually like to drink.

Cheers, I might well have a read into that since it's something I've always found fascinating (in the same way that Ed Miliband will never be UK PM even if he were perfect, solely as he does not look or or have the voice of one).

Would never, ever trust a company-sponsored one mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Was in a bread factory there a few years ago, and while all the own brand stuff was the same, Centra, Spar, Costcutter etc, the name brand was a different batch and made differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I've always wanted to do my own Pepsi challenge just to see how this works out with real people. Most people I know say that they like Coke better but I'm fairly convinced that has more to do with marketing than anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement