Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

C14N wrote: »
    I've always wanted to do my own Pepsi challenge just to see how this works out with real people. Most people I know say that they like Coke better but I'm fairly convinced that has more to do with marketing than anything.

Why are you convinced about this? Have you tasted both of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I've always wanted to do my own Pepsi challenge just to see how this works out with real people. Most people I know say that they like Coke better but I'm fairly convinced that has more to do with marketing than anything.

Gotta have a dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

This is both hilarious and stingy!

My friend was seeing a guy who was really involved in the Students Union. The SU are constantly handing out free condoms, little packets of lube ( little 5ml ones) and information leaflets on safe sex, like all SUs in colleges.

Anyway, one night they were getting..intimate...when he reaches for lube. It was in fact an old, finished soap pump that he had filled with loads of those individual packets of lube. He had spent so long squirting them in and didn't feel any embarrassment in whipping it out or explaining the amount of time/difficulty of squirting each individual packet in.

He was hot so she still got with him :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Birneybau wrote: »
    Gotta have a dream!

Man, once I get my money sorted and I can afford both a bottle of Pepsi and a bottle of Coke, then I won't want for anything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I have never been able to discern any difference in the taste of Coke, Diet Coke, or Pepsi. I have a private belief that there is none and it's all marketing.
    Something that may contribute to my tastes is that as a kid I wasn't allowed to have any fizzy cola drinks at all so I never developed a taste for them. As an adult I find all of them equally disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

There is a fricking clear taste difference between coke and pepsi!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

spacetweek wrote: »
    I have never been able to discern any difference in the taste of Coke, Diet Coke, or Pepsi. I have a private belief that there is none and it's all marketing.

You should have kept that belief private.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I have never been able to discern any difference in the taste of Coke, Diet Coke, or Pepsi..

Can you discern the difference of other things? Can you discern the difference in tastes of beers, wines or spirits?

If you can't taste the difference between coke and diet, I find that a bit worrying to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

danslevent wrote: »
    This is both hilarious and stingy!

My friend was seeing a guy who was really involved in the Students Union. The SU are constantly handing out free condoms, little packets of lube ( little 5ml ones) and information leaflets on safe sex, like all SUs in colleges.

Anyway, one night they were getting..intimate...when he reaches for lube. It was in fact an old, finished soap pump that he had filled with loads of those individual packets of lube. He had spent so long squirting them in and didn't feel any embarrassment in whipping it out or explaining the amount of time/difficulty of squirting each individual packet in.

He was hot so she still got with him :P

If he was that hot she wouldn't have needed the lube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

petes wrote: »
    There is a fricking clear taste difference between coke and pepsi!!

true. i remember when i was about 7, Pepsi had a blind taste thing in our local shopping center. If you picked the can that turned out to be pepsi, you won a can and a britney spears poster. If you picked coke you got nothing. I really wanted free stuff so i easily picked the pepsi each time. It was simple to pick Pepsi each time. I was 7!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

a bit off topic but........ anyone know the ad where they guy at the cinema serves everyone diet coke instead of coke and disguises the diet coke cup in the real coke cup to see if people knew the difference. He then came on screen to tell them that they were in fact drinking diet coke instead of real coke.

Don't know about anyone else but if I was in that cinema I would have lodged a formal complaint - if I ask for coke, I expect coke....not to be fooled by some young lad behind the counter. :D

Diet pepsi is the best one of the lot, but somehow can be very hard to find sometimes in supermarkets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

a bit off topic but........ anyone know the ad where they guy at the cinema serves everyone diet coke instead of coke and disguises the diet coke cup in the real coke cup to see if people knew the difference. He then came on screen to tell them that they were in fact drinking diet coke instead of real coke.

Don't know about anyone else but if I was in that cinema I would have lodged a formal complaint - if I ask for coke, I expect coke....not to be fooled by some young lad behind the counter. :D

Diet pepsi is the best one of the lot, but somehow can be very hard to find sometimes in supermarkets.
    I saw that ad but it was for Coke Zero (which takes disgusting btw). I always thought the ad was a bit of an own goal. They're basically saying that Coke tastes the same as fizzy water, as Coke Zero has no sugar or caffine :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭meemeemee

Stingiest things ?

Used to be a barman. There was a miserable old git. ALWAYS drank Guinness. The sort who would tell the staff the price before he paid, and hand over the exact money every time he paid. I worked their for a couple of years. One day a couple of young lads came in. Two pints of lager. They sat at a table near the door, and they were up to something, because something happened and they disappeared. This was in the days when you could smoke inside, so they had not gone off for a fag. They had both had only a mouthful of the pints each, so they were about 80% full, and they left the pints on the table. I didn't touch them at first, because nobody just leaves. Thought they would be back. Stingy old git is sitting a few tables away. He is eyeing up the pints like a hawk. Over the space of a few minutes, he casually moves closer, ONE table at time. Eventually, he is at the table, "guarding" the unfinished pints like. Eventually, I see him top up one, and make a start on the half empty. Then he has the other one. Never saw him drink lager ever before that day or after. Mean b@sstard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Something that may contribute to my tastes is that as a kid I wasn't allowed to have any fizzy cola drinks at all so I never developed a taste for them. As an adult I find all of them equally disgusting.

You say yourself that you don't drink fizzy drinks, so it makes sense that you wouldn't be able to tell much difference between two similar kinds. I can't remember the name of the effect but over time the more you sense something the easier you can pick out nuances and differences with it. Most teenagers you ask aren't overly fond of larger and will tell you most of them taste the same, but after years of drinking it lots of adults have lots of different preferences. I can't drink coffee, it all tastes the same to me but I know that's just because I don't often drink it. The exact same effect exists with music and smells.

The reason coke is more popular here is probably marketing, but that doesn't mean it doesn't taste different to pepsi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

Seeing as though this thread has devolved into a discussion, I have been invited to a wedding in Edinburgh Zoo next week. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭meemeemee

Another stingy bast@rd.

Friend of a Friend. Man dies. His brother owns a pub. After the funeral, the mourners return to the pub owned by the brother of the man for the post funeral gathering. There is no bar tab. People pay for their drinks. Some plates of sangwiches are provided and some pots of tea and coffee, for the old dears. Nothing fancy. Plain as you like.

A few days later, the man's widow opens the mail, to find a bill for the teas, coffees and sangwiches. Frigging mean bast@rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

Sorry to break it to you, but your taste buds are broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

meemeemee wrote: »
    Another stingy bast@rd.

Friend of a Friend. Man dies. His brother owns a pub. After the funeral, the mourners return to the pub owned by the brother of the man for the post funeral gathering. There is no bar tab. People pay for their drinks. Some plates of sangwiches are provided and some pots of tea and coffee, for the old dears. Nothing fancy. Plain as you like.

A few days later, the man's widow opens the mail, to find a bill for the teas, coffees and sangwiches. Frigging mean bast@rd.

There is something wrong with a person who does that. It goes beyond stinginess and outright lack of human dignity.

I mean WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Seeing as though this thread has devolved into a discussion, I have been invited to a wedding in Edinburgh Zoo next week. That is all.

What day? I want to crash that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

What day? I want to crash that

Friday. We are being given day passes while the couple go get photos taken. This is the best thing that has ever happened to me ever.

• Advertisement

Friday. We are being given day passes while the couple go get photos taken. This is the best thing that has ever happened to me ever.

Go see the penguin parade!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Ooh Edinburgh, that's in Scotland, isn't it? Scottish people eh? Should be some good stinge stories for us next week. Can't wait.

...and there was this lion, too bloody stingy to buy his own food, he'd actually sit in a cage and wait for this guy in a cap and uniform to bring it in to him. Every day!

Why the guy put up with it, I'll never know. If it was me I'd make him get his own food...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Same guy I mentioned who goes to parties empty handed and drinks the host's booze as if it was going out of fashion is selling his car for dreamer money,thing is he's taken the spare wheel and jack out of it "as they're his".The new car he picked up has these already.He won't drive anywhere other than to work & back as "it'd cost too much".

zerks wrote: »
    Same guy I mentioned who goes to parties empty handed and drinks the host's booze as if it was going out of fashion is selling his car for dreamer money,thing is he's taken the spare wheel and jack out of it "as they're his".The new car he picked up has these already.He won't drive anywhere other than to work & back as "it'd cost too much".

How does he get around? If he's cycling or walking, sure it's cheaper. Hardly stingy though.

If he's getting a bus or whatever, it would depend on the cost of the ticket, how far he's going and the fuel efficiency of his car. It could work out cheaper to drive once you accept tax, insurance and depreciation as fixed costs, and the only cost of the drive is petrol (and possibly parking).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Lucena wrote: »
    Ooh Edinburgh, that's in Scotland, isn't it? Scottish people eh? Should be some good stinge stories for us next week. Can't wait.

...and there was this lion, too bloody stingy to buy his own food, he'd actually sit in a cage and wait for this guy in a cap and uniform to bring it in to him. Every day!

Why the guy put up with it, I'll never know. If it was me I'd make him get his own food...

Well I live in Edinburgh, was in the pub for a few swift ones last night, my Scottish colleague and I were enjoying a Belhaven Best. 2 disgusting flies landed in our drinks, one in each. I pushed mine away and called another. My boy Euan picks it up by the wings, smacks it around it's little fly face and scream "spit eh ooot ya wee blethered basterd".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

razorblunt wrote: »
    Well I live in Edinburgh, was in the pub for a few swift ones last night, my Scottish colleague and I were enjoying a Belhaven Best. 2 disgusting flies landed in our drinks, one in each. I pushed mine away and called another. My boy Euan picks it up by the wings, smacks it around it's little fly face and scream "spit eh ooot ya wee blethered basterd".

Take the wee c*nt in a square go, like?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Lucena wrote: »
    Take the wee c*nt in a square go, like?

Aye proper agro pal, ken?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭FreshKnickers

I'm not Ken, buddy.

I'm not your buddy, guy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I think all caffeinated drinks should say how many mg of caffeine they have, because that's what's important. Who cares what it tastes like ? :pac:

This is for US brands only / generic "averaged" coffee/tea
    http://www.energyfiend.com/death-by-caffeine

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement