Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm not your buddy, guy!
    He's not your guy, friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

razorblunt wrote: »
    Aye proper agro pal, ken?

Ya ken what I mean pal ?

.....and you can buy beer in the cafeteria in Edinburgh Zoo.

A pint of heavy in the Last Drop. Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Ya ken what I mean pal ?

.....and you can buy beer in the cafeteria in Edinburgh Zoo.

A pint of heavy in the Last Drop. Class.

Grassmarket? Great pub. :pac:

Moar stinge (well, it's more brass neck really)!

A guy I know in work ordered some trees from a garden centre near where I live. He lives about 20 miles from the garden centre and was complaining to me about how slow they were to deliver.
    He then had a brainwave and said to me "Sure I could have asked you to pick them up in your car and bring them to work!"
    I replied "feck off" because there would be no thanks / payment from him for me dirtying my small car with big trees/ earthy roots!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

meemeemee wrote: »
    Another stingy bast@rd.

Friend of a Friend. Man dies. His brother owns a pub. After the funeral, the mourners return to the pub owned by the brother of the man for the post funeral gathering. There is no bar tab. People pay for their drinks. Some plates of sangwiches are provided and some pots of tea and coffee, for the old dears. Nothing fancy. Plain as you like.

A few days later, the man's widow opens the mail, to find a bill for the teas, coffees and sangwiches. Frigging mean bast@rd.

Wouldn't it be terrible if you happened to name and shame the establishment in question? That might learn the stingewad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Name and shame. The fairest justice of all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

OhHiMark wrote: »
    Name and shame. The fairest justice of all.

Far from it. Taking to word of one person and basing your entire perception of a business or person on that word is so unfair it's not even funny. Being stingy with making your own mind up about places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

In fairness, tea and sandwiches don't pay for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

In fairness, tea and sandwiches don't pay for themselves.
    No they don't but if one of my siblings died and I owed a pub I think I could cover a few sandwiches and cups of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Not quite stingey but a good stroke.

In a former life I was a tiler. A friend of mine asked me to tile a porch for him. A very simple job. 15 tiles and only 3 had to be cut. I was finished and had the tools back in the van at 2.30. He made tea and sangwiches and we had a chat. When I was leaving he said the wife would pay me 'cos she looks after household expenses. I said I didn't want any money as he was a good mate. He wouldn't take no for an answer and insisted I charge her something. I said "fair enough. She can give me €50" He said "Charge her 80 and we'll drink the 30"

How could I argue with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Limericks wrote: »
    Far from it. Taking to word of one person and basing your entire perception of a business or person on that word is so unfair it's not even funny. Being stingy with making your own mind up about places.

101.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

OhHiMark wrote: »
    101.gif

???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

sligojoek wrote: »
    When I was leaving he said the wife would pay me 'cos she looks after household expenses. I said I didn't want any money as he was a good mate. He wouldn't take no for an answer and insisted I charge her something. I said "fair enough. She can give me €50" He said "Charge her 80 and we'll drink the 30"

How could I argue with that?

And which one of you bent her over a second time later on? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

a bit off topic but........ anyone know the ad where they guy at the cinema serves everyone diet coke instead of coke and disguises the diet coke cup in the real coke cup to see if people knew the difference. He then came on screen to tell them that they were in fact drinking diet coke instead of real coke. Don't know about anyone else but if I was in that cinema I would have lodged a formal complaint - if I ask for coke, I expect coke....not to be fooled by some young lad behind the counter. :D

The fact that it's also completely staged makes it kind of redundant too. It's just like saying "hey, we could switch Coke for Coke Zero at the fountain, and most of you idiots probably wouldn't even know the difference!".
    I think all caffeinated drinks should say how many mg of caffeine they have, because that's what's important. Who cares what it tastes like ? :pac:

Never thought cola had much caffeine tbh, not enough to drink it for that alone anyway.

Time to balance that off-topic discussion out with another anecdote:

Don't know if you'd really call it stingy but two years back I went on a trip through the US with my family. We stopped off in Vegas for two or three days and stayed in the Excalibur hotel. First morning we get up in fairly good time and go downstairs for breakfast. The hotel had an all-you-can-eat buffet for something like $20 each (but my dad is more put off a place by the words "all-you-can-eat" than "mild rat infestation" and we didn't want to pay $100 for some breakfast) and another place which was a bar in the evening time. We're all used to eating fairly small breakfast at home and the portions here were pretty big so my younger brother and sister both decided to go for "kids menu" options for $10 each.

Waiter comes around to take our orders. Gets to my sister who orders one of the kid's options and is told it's only available to kids 8 and under with a valid ID (she was 15, my brother was 11). Also helpfully informed that it was actually $13 each, not $10, they just wrote the wrong number on the menu for no apparent reason. I guess I'm saying the stinginess is on the part of the hotel for not even letting a kid order a kids' menu unless they can prove they're young enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

C14N wrote: »
    The fact that it's also completely staged makes it kind of redundant too. It's just like saying "hey, we could switch Coke for Coke Zero at the fountain, and most of you idiots probably wouldn't even know the difference!".

Never thought cola had much caffeine tbh, not enough to drink it for that alone anyway.

Time to balance that off-topic discussion out with another anecdote:

Don't know if you'd really call it stingy but two years back I went on a trip through the US with my family. We stopped off in Vegas for two or three days and stayed in the Excalibur hotel. First morning we get up in fairly good time and go downstairs for breakfast. The hotel had an all-you-can-eat buffet for something like $20 each (but my dad is more put off a place by the words "all-you-can-eat" than "mild rat infestation" and we didn't want to pay $100 for some breakfast) and another place which was a bar in the evening time. We're all used to eating fairly small breakfast at home and the portions here were pretty big so my younger brother and sister both decided to go for "kids menu" options for $10 each.

Waiter comes around to take our orders. Gets to my sister who orders one of the kid's options and is told it's only available to kids 8 and under with a valid ID (she was 15, my brother was 11). Also helpfully informed that it was actually $13 each, not $10, they just wrote the wrong number on the menu for no apparent reason. I guess I'm saying the stinginess is on the part of the hotel for not even letting a kid order a kids' menu unless they can prove they're young enough.

Pfft! 11 years old meh ok maybe. 15 years old is not a child. Think the stinge here is your dad

Pfft! 11 years old meh ok maybe. 15 years old is not a child. Think the stinge here is your dad

I was referring to the 11 year old, but even then I've never seen a place before that won't just serve a kids sized meal to anyone who just isn't that hungry.

Seriously though, you think it's stingy to not want to spend $20+tax on a bit of toast and a rasher? It was honestly not even a money saving thing, it was a case of both my brother and sister saying "I can't eat one quarter of one of the adult meals".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Nonsense, why pay double for a breakfast if you don't eat a lot at that time. I never have an appetite in the mornings without the help of a hangover - a slice of toast and bowl of cereal can be a task to get down, which is part of the reason I tend to get up earlier than most, to build an appetite before work. I wouldn't want to be paying $105 (sales tax) for half a box of cereal and 5 slices of toast (assuming the posters family have as small an out-of-bed appetite as I do)... make that $120 when you factor in tips. That's money that could be well spent on doing other things during the day or buying the kids some random, useless touristy crap - not on buying piles of unnecessary food that will go to waste when you have no physical option but to leave it on the plate.

I've got two cousins who work in hospitality in the US and the basic pay is so little over there that you do have to tip (disgusting "free market" practices from employers in my opinion, but some do pass the saving back to the customer, who passes on to the employee in turn), but if you don't well... good luck getting any hotel staff to help you with anything for the rest of your trip.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to be paying $105 (sales tax) for half a box of cereal and 5 slices of toast (assuming the posters family have as small an out-of-bed appetite as I do)

Yeah I'm the same, a bowl of cereal and I'm stuffed most mornings. When we went on holidays we sometimes got a big breakfast but usually it was after getting up late enough to run breakfast and lunch into one meal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

My bloody Grandad. Always complaining about the price of everything.
    "One pound fifty for a cup of tea?"
    "75 pee for two digestive biscuits?"
    In the end I had to say, "Look Grandad, you just popped round. I didn't invite you".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Was on the DART over the weekend, sitting opposite a guy in his late 30s or early 40s. Anyway, he rings one of his friends:

"Hey Tommy, can you hear me? How're ya? Listen, will ya call Johnny and ask him to call me back?... Cos he's on 085 and I only get free calls to 087."

Fucking gas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Was on the DART over the weekend, sitting opposite a guy in his late 30s or early 40s. Anyway, he rings one of his friends:

"Hey Tommy, can you hear me? How're ya? Listen, will ya call Johnny and ask him to call me back?... Cos he's on 085 and I only get free calls to 087."

Fucking gas.

Maybe he had no credit left and could only ring his mate at 087

Not stingy at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭ronjo

Not stingy at all

Booo.. I thought it was a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Not stingy at all

Calling your mate and asking them to ring someone and ask them to ring you is stingy, no matter what! My 15 year old sister wouldn't even do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

wilkie2006 wrote: »

Fucking gas.
    You're right it is stingy especially from someone in his 30's or 40's. If it was a teenager or a student I could understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mattiekav

My friend goes into the local chipper and asks if they've any left over chicken from the day before for free and then gets it and eats it #Shnake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

saw my brother in law take some leftover milk from his child`s cornflakes and pour it into his tea.At Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I think all caffeinated drinks should say how many mg of caffeine they have, because that's what's important. Who cares what it tastes like ? :pac:

This is for US brands only / generic "averaged" coffee/tea
    http://www.energyfiend.com/death-by-caffeine

I like that Coke Caffeine Free is in the list of drinks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

What has happened to this thread? Have we run out of stinge so soon - only 620 pages?

Anyhoo, I got married many years ago and had quite a swanky do in the finest wedding hotel in Cork (the wife's idea, obvs). We had a wedding list with some expensive and some cheap stuff (10-20 yos) on it. A good friend of my mine, reasonably well-off with both himself and wife in ft employment and 1 child, gave us a gift of 1 yellow, frilly, unbranded (i.e Michael Guiney type thing) bedsheet. I thought at the time it was a pisstake and the "real" gift would be forthcoming later but no ...

I still have it in the original wrapping and always give a little chortle when I see it. To this day I'm amazed that my good friend would offer this as a gift - I'm assuming it was his wife's idea, she's a right bitch! We are still friends and have never mentioned this "episode" since. I'm hoping I'll be able to return it as a gift to them some day, they presumably got it as a gift originally. I wonder would they recognise/remember it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Your page count is stingy! I've got 775 pages of stinge.

I think it's stingy to have gift lists for a wedding and expect people to give you stuff just because you're solemnising a relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I was waiting for the return of this page but couldn't think of any stingy tales to tell. Some great stories on here. Well done Byron for bringing it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

lazygal wrote: »
    Your page count is stingy! I've got 775 pages of stinge.

I think it's stingy to have gift lists for a wedding and expect people to give you stuff just because you're solemnising a relationship.

Don't go to the wedding and get your free meal then if you think it's stingy to have a gift list. Stay at home and don't get your free meal and don't give a stingy €3 bedsheet as a gift.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement