Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Don't go to the wedding and get your free meal then if you think it's stingy to have a gift list. Stay at home and don't get your free meal and don't give a stingy €3 bedsheet as a gift.

What do you mean "free meal"? Its your choice to ask people and put on a meal. And weddings aren't free to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

lazygal wrote: »
    What do you mean "free meal"? Its your choice to ask people and put on a meal. And weddings aren't free to attend.

You get a free meal at a wedding. Yes it's a choice to ask people and put on a meal but it's also a choice whether to go or not.

Surely going and in some kind of protest give a worthless gift is stingy? Just don't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I gave my wife 2 tickets to a concert for her birthday this year... I got them free from one of my account handlers :-)

She was absolutely delighted and thought I had spend loads :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I think it's stingy to have gift lists for a wedding and expect people to give you stuff just because you're solemnising a relationship.

I'm not into wedding gift lists myself, but seriously, a bedsheet is the height of stinge. I would genuinely prefer no gift at all than something I was given out of obligation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

You get a free meal at a wedding. Yes it's a choice to ask people and put on a meal but it's also a choice whether to go or not.

Surely going and in some kind of protest give a worthless gift is stingy? Just don't go.

Always some bland, one-taste-fits-all, don't-put-any-flavour-in-there-in-case-de-aul-wans-don't-like-it rubbish.

I'd rather stay at home and have some food of my choosing at a time of my choosing, without all the effin waiting around and tedious as f*ck speeches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Don't go to the wedding and get your free meal then if you think it's stingy to have a gift list. Stay at home and don't get your free meal and don't give a stingy €3 bedsheet as a gift.

Free meal???

The last wedding I went to cost me e500, the present cost us e100 each alone. Hardly knew the couple, friends of girlfriend of the time.

The euro sign does'nt work on this keyboard, scabby employers! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Have you tried Alt 0128?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

or ctrl v

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭preston johnny

What I wouldn't give to be stingy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

sandwiches with one slice of thin ham.

bastids!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Lucena wrote: »
    Always some bland, one-taste-fits-all, don't-put-any-flavour-in-there-in-case-de-aul-wans-don't-like-it rubbish.

I'd rather stay at home and have some food of my choosing at a time of my choosing, without all the effin waiting around and tedious as f*ck speeches.

You sound like great fun.
    I hope you're sitting at my table at the next wedding I attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Don't go to a wedding if you don't want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

Your page count is stingy! I've got 775 pages of stinge.

I think it's stingy to have gift lists for a wedding and expect people to give you stuff just because you're solemnising a relationship.

I think its stingy to turn up to the happiest day of your friends' lives and then complain about how much it cost you because you had to pay for a hotel for the night all while firing a free meal and free wine down your neck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Birneybau wrote: »
    Free meal???

The last wedding I went to cost me e500, the present cost us e100 each alone. Hardly knew the couple, friends of girlfriend of the time.

The euro sign does'nt work on this keyboard, scabby employers! ;)

You deserve to lose another €100 just for giving €100 towards a present to someone you hardly knew

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

You deserve to lose another €100 just for giving €100 towards a present to someone you hardly knew

I think a picture of this yellow bedsheet is in order to fully appreciate the stinge

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Mate of mine trying to convince us all to walk to the next Luas stop because it's in a different zone because the fair is 30c cheaper.

Feck off...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

byronbay2 wrote: »
    What has happened to this thread? Have we run out of stinge so soon - only 620 pages?

Anyhoo, I got married many years ago and had quite a swanky do in the finest wedding hotel in Cork (the wife's idea, obvs). We had a wedding list with some expensive and some cheap stuff (10-20 yos) on it. A good friend of my mine, reasonably well-off with both himself and wife in ft employment and 1 child, gave us a gift of 1 yellow, frilly, unbranded (i.e Michael Guiney type thing) bedsheet. I thought at the time it was a pisstake and the "real" gift would be forthcoming later but no ...

I still have it in the original wrapping and always give a little chortle when I see it. To this day I'm amazed that my good friend would offer this as a gift - I'm assuming it was his wife's idea, she's a right bitch! We are still friends and have never mentioned this "episode" since. I'm hoping I'll be able to return it as a gift to them some day, they presumably got it as a gift originally. I wonder would they recognise/remember it!

That was just a joke. There is £200 inside the packet in the sheets. I hope you haven't thrown it out Pat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

I read that as 'sodomising a relationship'. It couldn't figure out the stinginess part.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Jeez... the thread has only been resurrected and it's being slowly but surely destroyed.
    The lad believes it's stingy, some are disagreeing, some say the wedding provides free food and alcohol some say its the hosts choice.
    Jut move on and let us hear stories that matter cause it's a pain having to go through pointless posts before you see a good story.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

bear1 wrote: »
    Jeez... the thread has only been resurrected and it's being slowly but surely destroyed.
    The lad believes it's stingy, some are disagreeing, some say the wedding provides free food and alcohol some say its the hosts choice.
    Jut move on and let us hear stories that matter cause it's a pain having to go through pointless posts before you see a good story.

I think that a really stingy attitude to the thread.

• Advertisement

Valentine1 wrote: »
    I think that a really stingy attitude to the thread.

Elaborate

• Registered Users Posts: 16,220 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

bear1 wrote: »
    Elaborate

He would, but he's stingy

Grayson wrote: »
    He would, but he's stingy

Seems like someone trying to troll if anything.
    BTW Valentine, can you show me any post stories you have posted on this thread? Cause I've gone though it and you seem to have been very "stingy" as you call it with any stories of your own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

My neighbour buys a new car every 2 years but drives with the side mirrors pulled in to save fuel by reducing wind resistance the miserable bastard

Is that why so many dangerous wa*kers drive with their lights off in fog and rain? Saving their batteries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

HansHolzel wrote: »
    Is that why so many dangerous wa*kers drive with their lights off in fog and rain? Saving their batteries?
    Scroll WAY back and you can enjoy reading about people who prefer to turn the engine off going downhill to save petrol. ;)

I remember those tools too. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Was gobsmacked to hear today that my Aunt makes FIVE cups of tea with one teabag. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

fussyonion wrote: »
    Was gobsmacked to hear today that my Aunt makes FIVE cups of tea with one teabag. Shocking.

is that even possible? I use 2 sometimes ! I couldn't handle weak tea !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

is that even possible? I use 2 sometimes ! I couldn't handle weak tea !

I don't even take the teabag out of the cup. I drink it with it still in it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement