Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I didn't bother wrapping any christmas presents this year. Guess that makes me a stingy fcuk but the paper would only end up in the bin. I'll justify it by saying I'm being environmentally conscious :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

batman88 wrote: »
    Some of the people in the bargain alerts forum are hilarious.

Buy a paper for 2.35, cut out a coupon and get 2.65 off your shopping.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87319807

Starting new threads about saving 30 cent on 2 litres of milk.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88017598
    Don't think you could call that stingy as much as smart shopping! I reckon it's only stingy when it's unnecessary or done out of greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I have lots of stories but I'm being stingy with them for now. But the post about the wrapping paper reminded me of this gem (from yesterday)

We have visitors for Christmas. Yeay etc etc etc. They arrived one arm as long as the other, no gifts purchased for anyone in my house, no offer of buying anything for the house / dinner / anything (we are having other guests for dinner who offered to pay for the turkey but when we said no insisted on buying some wine for dinner). It's not that the guests don't have money - they spent a clean fortune on gifts for each other. They just have very long pockets and short hands when it comes to certain things.

(Btw I'm not expecting them to pay / offer money / buy presents - if they offered I would thank them for their offer but say they are guests!)

If we go to visit their house (abroad) we buy at least the makings of a few nights dinner when we're there or wine and beer so they're not too out of pocket for hosting us.

Anywho. On Monday we were in town. I was helping them with Christmas shopping for their kids (long story). When we were in the queue to pay I grabbed two rolls of wrapping paper to bring home and stood to pay. Our guest grabbed the paper and said she would pay, save time etc. Great, fantastic, plenty of paper. Yesterday we were about to start wrapping the presents and I picked up a roll of the paper and was told "that's ours, can you not go buy some?"

They leave Friday. I bet they'll bring the paper with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

My dad just gave me two dvds that HE wanted, as part of my present, because he didn't want to have to buy them for himself and my mother had given him money to buy me some dvds.

Third year in a row he's done it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

My brother re-used last year's Xmas wrapping paper this year.

Reduce reuse recycle.

Now if he reused last years presents...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

billie1b wrote: »
    My wife's Aunt bought one of the cousins 5 scratch cards for his Birthday, he scratched all 5 and was lucky enough to win €10,000, he was delighted, but she wasn't, she demanded the scratch card from him saying she had the receipt for it and if not would call the cops to say he robbed it. She claimed the prize and gave him €50

I call bull****. Receipt for a scratch card? Call the cops?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

My parents bought me a Yankee candle for xmas.

I officially give up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

I officially give up

But but.. they're pretty expensive!

pajor wrote: »
    But but.. they're pretty expensive!

It's the smallest one you can get

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

My dad just gave me two dvds that HE wanted, as part of my present, because he didn't want to have to buy them for himself and my mother had given him money to buy me some dvds.

Your Dad is a smart man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 McIrish_

One of my best friends is the stingiest people ever. I could be all day with stories, but I will give you a few examples.....

A few years ago, me and my gf (at the time) were hanging out one of the days. I decided to bring my friend, and she decide to bring her's. So the friend was into my friend. So we decided to make it a double date. I paid for my gf's ticket and then all of a sudden, my friend comes back with one ticket. We were all like "Why didn't you buy Lauren a ticket?" He was like "It's too expensive, I can only afford my ticket"

So, another time he wanted a lift to his old house to pick up a bike. So, I said to him that it's out of my way, so I just need you to pay for the tolls, which were about 2.50 each way. So he gave me a fiver, and then the next 3 years he kept bringing up the fact that I charged him a fiver for a lift.

One Christmas I bought him a load of Star Wars cards. He collects all of that stuff, so I bought him about 20 euro worth of cards. He bought me an aftershave set which he claimed was 30 euro. A few days later he said to me that I only paid 20 euro for the cards, and that he paid more. He kept this up for a few weeks, constantly goin on about how he paid more for my gift. So I went up to his house and gave him the entire aftershave set back.

Last one.......

A few years ago, he found himself unemployed. So, I got him a job working with me. At the beginning, his hours were terrible, as he was just a trainee. A few weeks in he was getting roughly 20 hours a week. I was getting 35. He kept complaining that I was getting more hours than him, saying that he does more work and that he needed the money more than I did....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

My brother re-used last year's Xmas wrapping paper this year.

So it's stingy to be environmentally conscious now?

PS: It's called recycling. Just be happy he didn't recycle the presents too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I officially give up

its a hint that where you live is smelly.

Quazzie wrote: »

His username suggests it might not be the place he lives that's the problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

got some dvds and a bag of choc brazil nuts from my older brother, i have never eaten nuts in my life in any form as i dont like them, and he knows this, i am 29 and you would think he should know by now lol

anyways merry christmas everyone

and yes he asked could he have them back then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

montyrebel wrote: »
    got some dvds and a bag of choc brazil nuts from my older brother, i have never eaten nuts in my life in any form as i dont like them, and he knows this, i am 29 and you would think he should know by now lol

anyways merry christmas everyone

and yes he asked could he have them back then

sounds like a bag of m&m's to me

Quazzie wrote: »

No that's the smell of my neighbours smoking the green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Haven't opened my presents yet but last year my aunt arrived in with a big wrapped box. She is well off compared to most but has a history of sh*t presents. Once she left I opened it. Feckin big wooden game board of getting the ball through a maze into a hole. The wood was so brittle I had to google it. €3 :eek: Even if it was made of oak it would have been worthless any way but this took the piss. Good fire starter though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

don't give them to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

I work in a small office (10-12 people) and if someone leaves the company a card goes around and money is put in.
    There are two stinge-bags who normally don't put money in (but would sign a big farewell message on the card).
    One day they contributed €2.50 each.

Pains me to look at them each day! !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I guess he doesn't want to break tradition at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Your Dad is a smart man.

Ah ha.. never mind. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

rabwaygal wrote: »
    I work in a small office (10-12 people) and if someone leaves the company a card goes around and money is put in.
    There are two stinge-bags who normally don't put money in (but would sign a big farewell message on the card).
    One day they contributed €2.50 each.

Pains me to look at them each day! !

How often do people leave? It probably pains them to give money to kunts they dont even like

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

How often do people leave? It probably pains them to give money to kunts they dont even like

Maybe 1 per year. More people would move to different departments. No card/money for them.

Shamelessly stingy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

Opportunity to be equally as stingy: rent them out to him for a fee when he wants to watch them. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Would you lot all give it a rest its Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

McIrish_ wrote: »
    One of my best friends is the stingiest people ever.

So, another time he wanted a lift to his old house to pick up a bike. So, I said to him that it's out of my way, so I just need you to pay for the tolls, which were about 2.50 each way. .

.......... but he's the stingy one?????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Not Christmas but got a card off my Grandad there for my 30th Birthday, YAY Happy Birthday to me.

Anyhoo, the man has 13 houses all over the world, Just under €5 Million in the bank because he sold his Golf Magazine and €100k cars hanging out his hole.

I don't want nothing off the chap and none of the family will get nout off him anyway.

But a Fiver in the card. €5 stinkin euro.

Stingy CúNT

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Not Christmas but got a card off my Grandad there for my 30th Birthday, YAY Happy Birthday to me.

Anyhoo, the man has 13 houses all over the world, Just under €5 Million in the bank because he sold his Golf Magazine and €100k cars hanging out his hole.

I don't want nothing off the chap and none of the family will get nout off him anyway.

But a Fiver in the card. €5 stinkin euro.

Stingy CúNT

I have a Grandad just like that, I'm lucky to get a Birthday card off him let alone it having money in. He lives in his big mansion on his own, probably counting his money all day. I've never asked him for money, but if i was rich all i would do is spoil my friends and family!

• Advertisement

I have a Grandad just like that, I'm lucky to get a Birthday card off him let alone it having money in. He lives in his big mansion on his own, probably counting his money all day. I've never asked him for money, but if i was rich all i would do is spoil my friends and family!

Does he keep all his money in the form of cash? In his mansion? Is he too tight to buy a safe? If so, what's his address?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement