Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

sligojoek wrote: »
    My sister in law has form in this department. I'll fill yez in tomorrow

She gave me a bottle of aftershave yesterday. My wife reckons it was for sale in Boots during the week for €3. The thing is I have a big bushy beard. I haven't shaved for about 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

She gave me a bottle of aftershave yesterday. My wife reckons it was for sale in Boots during the week for €3. The thing is I have a big bushy beard. I haven't shaved for about 20 years.
    Maybe use it on those ducks you go hunting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Hint hint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

TheBully wrote: »
    Instead of just putting 50 diesel into the car my friend goes to 5 petrol statins and puts in €10.05 in each one and hands over a tenor!

Go compare;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Not Christmas but got a card off my Grandad there for my 30th Birthday, YAY Happy Birthday to me.

Anyhoo, the man has 13 houses all over the world, Just under €5 Million in the bank because he sold his Golf Magazine and €100k cars hanging out his hole.

I don't want nothing off the chap and none of the family will get nout off him anyway.

But a Fiver in the card. €5 stinkin euro.

Stingy CúNT

I'd be embarrassed to get money from a relative in a card. Yes, I'm well over 30, but I think the 21st ist the last time you shoould get cash as a present from relatives, at some stage you have to make the big jump into adulthood.

BTW you do want something off him, namely a % of his fortune when he dies, so try to be nice to the man, he's made his own way in life and his own money, no law or rule states that he has to share it with you or any of his relatives.

PMSL at that !!! :pac:

Here's a sort of stinge story, maybe on my part.

We had wren boys around yesterday, first lot sang 3 songs, gave them a tenner between them and a fistful of sweets, second lot the same. Third lot came around, said nothing, just said happy Christmas and held out the bucket for cash. Told them they should try and sing, so they sang the first couple of lines of Away in a Manger. After a bit of cajoling, they still wouldn't sing any more, so I gave them a fiver and a fistful of sweets.

30 seconds later this banging cam on the door, someone using a key to smack the glass as hard as possible, so I open the door, and there's the kids mother, in a total rage. She insists that i give the kids €10 like I gave the others and she said it was a disgrace that I asked them to sing. I said I'll give them what I please, I wanted to tell her to fcuk off, but the kids were there beside her, Liverpool-Man City was on as well and I was in no mood to fight either.

Turns out she was in the pub last night with a couple of her mates and had the list of names of all the houses she called to and the amount that each one gave written down. Is that retarded or what ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

PLEASE tell me you didn't give her the extra 5 euro?

When is this even a thing? I would close the door on someone calling to my house looking for money

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

(nevermind)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

PLEASE tell me you didn't give her the extra 5 euro?

When is this even a thing? I would close the door on someone calling to my house looking for money

Nope, didn't give her anything.

Wren boys are a tradition here, did it myself when I was a kid. essentially you dress up, go around the houses and play a bit of music and/or sing a few songs on St Stephens' Day. But i expect them to do something, not just stand there like some form of unofficial collection.

I live in a very rural area. I know all the kids who called, that mother is a right b1tch, she didn't do herself any favours by showing her mates what each house gave them. I actually feel sorry for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kneebreaker

Went to visit my older brother in New Zealand. I'm over in Australia and knew he would be a bit homesick over the Christmas so even though I couldn't really afford to shell out for the flights I made the journey across out of fraternal loyalty.

Long story short, brought a girl home, got the jump and he kicked me out on the street because I used his bed. That's the Christmas spirit!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rivaldo2000

Know this guy at work always lands in 20 mins early to work so he can get a space close to gate so he dont waste petrol driving to end of car park. he drives a micra. he also sold hubcabs off car for a fiver. lads bought them as a joke and cracked them with a hammer in front of him pricless stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

I've an auntie who always visits from abroad for Christmas, sometimes turns up without notice during the year too, and expects to be put up for the duration of her stay. Now she's not without the money to afford accommodation, as the pictures of her constant around the world travels with prove. Anyhow she always gets put up by some of the family members, though others have flat out refused her (the smart ones in my opinion).

She leeches off everyone and never gives anything back, but the one thing that stands out for me was Christmas two years ago, when she was staying in another aunties house, when they came up to visit us she told my other auntie who had bought presents for us that she would carry the presents bag for her. Cue the stingy auntie giving us all presents under the pretext that they were from her.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Went to visit my older brother in New Zealand. I'm over in Australia and knew he would be a bit homesick over the Christmas so even though I couldn't really afford to shell out for the flights I made the journey across out of fraternal loyalty.

Long story short, brought a girl home, got the jump and he kicked me out on the street because I used his bed. That's the Christmas spirit!
    You mean people don't like finding out their brother banged some stranger on their bed? Well I never!

Not seeing how this is particularly stingy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I must admit I have started doing something stingy lately when pre ordering games.

I will pre order a game on amazon and get it for lets say 40 euro with free delivery. They usually dont come until a few days after launch day.

I will then buy the same game in Argos or elsewhere on launch day. Probably costs 55 there for example.

When the amazon one gets delivered I return it to Argos. Cheap games for me :D

I have no shame !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Strituck wrote: »
    I must admit I have started doing something stingy lately when pre ordering games.

I will pre order a game on amazon and get it for lets say 40 euro with free delivery. They usually dont come until a few days after launch day.

I will then buy the same game in Argos or elsewhere on launch day. Probably costs 55 there for example.

I have no shame !
    Doesn't Argos have games excluded from the 30 day money back guarantee?

Doesn't Argos have games excluded from the 30 day money back guarantee?

Not if they are still sealed in the plastic wrapping :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

I have no shame !

You buy it from Argos for €55 on launch day, pre-order from Amazon and pay €40, play the one from Argos and when your Amazon one arrives you return it for €55, thats not being stingy, your not saving money

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

I have no shame !

I don't get it. Instead of saving the €15 from buying off Amazon. You buy the €55 game as well and trade in the €40 game. You're still paying €55 for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

He returns a 40 euro game for 55 so he spends 40 but gets it instantly

bluewolf wrote: »

But he still bought the €55 game from Argos and keeps that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

But he still spends the €55 in the first place to play it on day one, so he's not saving anything in reality, just being impatient

• Advertisement

But he still bought the €55 game from Argos and keeps that one.

No, he plays the argos one and returns a sealed amazon one with an argos receipt to argos, pretending it was from argos

That's what I assume anyway otherwise yes it makes no sense

No, he plays the argos one and returns a sealed amazon one with an argos receipt to argos, pretending it was from argos

That's what I assume anyway otherwise yes it makes no sense

But he's not making money. He's saving €15 by returning the €40 game for €55. But he would save €15 by just getting the €40 game in the first place.

But he's not making money. He's saving €15 by returning the €40 game for €55. But he would save €15 by just getting the €40 game in the first place.

He never claimed he was making money
    It's just a way of getting the cheaper game faster

Wait... does the game cost €40 or €55?

:pac:

Billy86 wrote: »
    Wait... does the game cost €40 or €55?

:pac:

I'll break it down.

Game cost €40 from Amazon, €55 in Argos. So instead of saving €15 straight away from getting it from Amazon he buys both. To cover the loss of €15 by paying extra for the game in Argos he trades in the €40 game to Argos for €55 to break even. A lot of hassle to play a game a few days early.

I'll break it down.

Game cost €40 from Amazon, €55 in Argos. So instead of saving €15 straight away from getting it from Amazon he buys both. To cover the loss of €15 by paying extra for the game in Argos he trades in the €40 game to Argos for €55 to break even. A lot of hassle to play a game a few days early.
    I was messing with ya... just found the last 10-15 posts fairly hilarious! :p

Billy86 wrote: »
    I was messing with ya... just found the last 10-15 posts fairly hilarious! :p

Me too :pac:

billie1b wrote: »
    You buy it from Argos for €55 on launch day, pre-order from Amazon and pay €40, play the one from Argos and when your Amazon one arrives you return it for €55, thats not being stingy, your not saving money

No not saving money really cause I could just wait for the amazon one to come a few days later , but stingy in the sense that I will go to the bother of doing it in order to get it on launch day cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Is there a five year warranty on the game though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I don't see how that's stingy, it just seems a bit stupid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement