Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭140490

Ok let's open a thread with this game and 55 and Argos, Amazon, 40 euro.......etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Red Kev wrote: »
    Here's a sort of stinge story, maybe on my part.

Turns out she was in the pub last night with a couple of her mates and had the list of names of all the houses she called to and the amount that each one gave written down. Is that retarded or what ?
    You were not being stingy. She was being a thundering Cúnt :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Just beginning to realise that a friend of mine is pretty stingy.

She came over the last day for drinks before going out...hands hanging. It was just initially me and her so obviously I offered her a glass of my wine. When she sat down she then proceeded to reach for my tobacco, without asking if she could have some, just asked "Can we smoke in here?". So she spent the night sipping away on my wine and smoking my tobacco, I was too flabbergasted to really say anything but I will know in future. I didn't think she was like that...disappointing.

And we are both students here so neither of us are rolling in it. I wouldn't have minded if she had just said thanks or even asked properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Visited OH's folks over Crimbo. I gave them a nice present and in return I got a box of chocolates and some shower gel. Since there was a gift tag at the bottom of the bag I am 99.99% sure that they've been regifted. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,550 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

kylith wrote: »
    Visited OH's folks over Crimbo. I gave them a nice present and in return I got a box of chocolates and some shower gel. Since there was a gift tag at the bottom of the bag I am 99.99% sure that they've been regifted. Cheers.

What did you give them?

• Advertisement

What did you give them?

A wine aerator. They're big wine buffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Hmmm. I have one.
    I don't mind when people come to stay but a little appreciation, a card, along with the words thank you go a long way .

Few years back my lovely flatmate had her cousin from the UK over to stay. I moved into the messy 1/2 painted clutter filled spare room &so she could have a nice relaxing time ( her father had apparently recently died & she was upset & hence the holiday with her cousin(.

She stayed a week, ate for free, was wined & dined, lifts to & from airport, town etc. said thank you & left - no card - that was it, total radio & FB silence.

Few years later out of nowhere, my flatmate has long emigrated, and I get an email from the blue - could she - the ex flatmates cousin - come for a holiday; under pressure etc. I said yes - she arrived with her friend, ( total stranger & unexpected); same deal - are, drank, lifts into town & to & from airport for both of them - never offered nor made a contribution,stayed a week, on the last day no card, no btl wine, nothing - said very enthusiastic thanks &left - total radio
    silence since. More fool me.

O - and she is an accountant & her friend a physio apparently :(

Think I know where I'll be demanding to be recieved on my next Holiday .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Maybe it was just the gift bag that was reused?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

To be honest I don't see the problem is passing on unwanted gifts. I do it al lthe time. I do a lot of voluntary community work, and got a lot of bottles of wine, spirits and boxes of chocolates etc over Christmas as presents. I only drink beer (big fan of small breweries). So on Friday I did a stocktake and I have the following in the house (these are full bottles, I've an open bottle of each of them):

8 btls of red wine
    13 btls of white
    2 btls of sparkling

4 Vodka
    6 Whiskey
    5 Brandy
    4 Baileys (or similar)
    4 Port
    1 Creme de Cassis
    3 Gin
    2 Rum

Also: 5 tins of Sweets and 3 smaller boxes, and 4 tins of biscuits.

My Dad rarely drinks, he is a diabetic so I have the biscuits and sweets in the attic.

I'll keep one of each of the spirits (including opened bottles of each of them), I'll keep 3 whiskey as they are Bushmills & Powers. The rest, all booze, all wine (bar 2 red & 2 white & 1 port) all sweets, biscuits, will be given away as presents over the next few months, or as gifts at parties, raffles etc.

Now, I've no doubt that some people will get the same back that they gave me somtime in the future, but I think it's fair enough, I can't drink all this stuff as my big party days are gone and I personally reckon it's better to pass it on rather than keep it. It's the thought that counts IMO.

Is this stingy, no I don't think so, even if the same person accidentally gets what they gave me.

To be honest I don't see the problem is passing on unwanted gifts. I do it al lthe time. I do a lot of voluntary community work, and got a lot of bottles of wine, spirits and boxes of chocolates etc over Christmas as presents. I only drink beer (big fan of small breweries). So on Friday I did a stocktake and I have the following in the house (these are full bottles, I've an open bottle of each of them):
    The thing is that, imo, regifting is reserved for people you don't give a feck about. If they'd wanted to give me a fiver's worth of gift it's up to them, it's the paucity of thought that's annoying me; I spend ages looking for a gift that I think will be useful to them and, meanwhile, I don't even rate them taking five minutes to consider whether or not I'd like to smell of mango, or whatever, just sticking it an a gift bag without even checking the tag's been taken off.
    Maybe it was just the gift bag that was reused?

Nope. There's a tag on the gift bag addressed to me and a different one stuck to the end of the shower gel.

Don't know why I bothered, tbh. Last year I got the da a relatively expensive bottle of wine, and herself a silk scarf and got handed a scarf and mittens from Penny's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭e.r

A friend of mine went a date years ago with a girl .

They went into a pub in town and went round for round aprox 4 drinks each, he have pints@2.50 she had alco pop @3 .

He told me after and the end of night he was going to ask her for the difference .
    Tightest person I've ever met

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

8 btls of red wine
    13 btls of white
    2 btls of sparkling

4 Vodka
    6 Whiskey
    5 Brandy
    4 Baileys (or similar)
    4 Port
    1 Creme de Cassis
    3 Gin
    2 Rum

Also: 5 tins of Sweets and 3 smaller boxes, and 4 tins of biscuits.

My Dad rarely drinks, he is a diabetic so I have the biscuits and sweets in the attic.

I'll keep one of each of the spirits (including opened bottles of each of them), I'll keep 3 whiskey as they are Bushmills & Powers. The rest, all booze, all wine (bar 2 red & 2 white & 1 port) all sweets, biscuits, will be given away as presents over the next few months, or as gifts at parties, raffles etc.

Now, I've no doubt that some people will get the same back that they gave me somtime in the future, but I think it's fair enough, I can't drink all this stuff as my big party days are gone and I personally reckon it's better to pass it on rather than keep it. It's the thought that counts IMO.

Is this stingy, no I don't think so, even if the same person accidentally gets what they gave me.

If your anywhere near Blanch, I can take a bottle of red and tin of sweets of your hands :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

1 Creme de Cassis

Who gives a bottle of this as a thank you? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

e.r wrote: »
    A friend of mine went a date years ago with a girl .

They went into a pub in town and went round for round aprox 4 drinks each, he have pints@2.50 she had alco pop @3 .

He told me after and the end of night he was going to ask her for the difference .
    Tightest person I've ever met

2.50 a pint:eek: Were alco pops around then? Unless Ritz counts as an alco pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

jca wrote: »
    2.50 a pint:eek: Were alco pops around then? Unless Ritz counts as an alco pop.

Outside the Pale I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Gillo wrote: »
    Outside the Pale I'd say.

I'm outside the pale but can't remember when it was 2.50 a pint....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Hmmm. I have one.
    I don't mind when people come to stay but a little appreciation, a card, along with the words thank you go a long way .

Few years back my lovely flatmate had her cousin from the UK over to stay. I moved into the messy 1/2 painted clutter filled spare room &so she could have a nice relaxing time ( her father had apparently recently died & she was upset & hence the holiday with her cousin(.

She stayed a week, ate for free, was wined & dined, lifts to & from airport, town etc. said thank you & left - no card - that was it, total radio & FB silence.

Few years later out of nowhere, my flatmate has long emigrated, and I get an email from the blue - could she - the ex flatmates cousin - come for a holiday; under pressure etc. I said yes - she arrived with her friend, ( total stranger & unexpected); same deal - are, drank, lifts into town & to & from airport for both of them - never offered nor made a contribution,stayed a week, on the last day no card, no btl wine, nothing - said very enthusiastic thanks &left - total radio
    silence since. More fool me.

O - and she is an accountant & her friend a physio apparently :(

Think I know where I'll be demanding to be recieved on my next Holiday .

Why on earth would you let that person stay again? They took you for a free ride the first time they stayed, you should've known better than to let them stay a second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

We had my Dad and Father in Law (FIL) over for Christmas. My Dad gave my FIL a bottle of Gin for Christmas. I asked what they wanted to drink and my FIL asked for a Gin, I poured him one, while drinking it he comment on how it tasted different, I said it had been open for a while but should still be good. When getting him another he asked had I a different bottle as he thought the Bombay was off, when I said I didn't but could open the one my Dad gave him he said he'd have the Bombay again.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

A few weeks after I had a baby I had a doctors appointment and needed to get a taxi home afterwards. I sat in the back of the car with the baby. Along the two mile journey the driver congratulated me on the birth of the baby and handed back to me a fiver. Thanks very much says I.
    We landed to the house and she charged me a fiver for the fare. I handed her back the fiver she had just handed me 2 minutes previously. :o

whats wrong with that ? assuming it was a random taxi

• Site Banned Posts: 91 ✭✭batman88

How have I only seen this thread now! I have a notoriously stingy friend. A group of us went out over the Christmas for pints. Anyway we were getting last drinks and seen my mate hand in a 20 for a pint and get change back for a pint. I think I was the only one that noticed it. On to the chipper for a curry cheese and my mate started asking us for a fiver as he is skint. One of the lads gave him a fiver and I called him up on it saying he handed in a 20 for the last pint he got. He said that he had gone over the budget that night and didn't want to spend anymore or he wouldn't be able to go out tomorrow night for a few. Friend demanded his fiver back and gave it to him. The stingy fecker was in shock and went home. He apologized the following day and said he was just drunk. There's tons of other stories about him and he is no way skint!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Well done for calling him out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

To be honest I don't see the problem is passing on unwanted gifts. I do it al lthe time. I do a lot of voluntary community work, and got a lot of bottles of wine, spirits and boxes of chocolates etc over Christmas as presents

That really defeats the purpose of a gift. No thought, no genuine consideration. Just basically using people for gifts. Basically you're handing down stuff and calling it a "gift". Personally I don't mind it once or twice. To actually plan it out though is drastic and is just scabby. Better yet how about you just give it to people at xmas as opposed to stocking it away. I don't drink wine and have got a couple of bottles over xmas. I gave them away immediatly. It really is just the planned nature of the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Who gives a bottle of this as a thank you? ;)

It was in a French themed hamper, great stuff in ice cream.
    chrissb8 wrote: »
    That really defeats the purpose of a gift. No thought, no genuine consideration. Just basically using people for gifts. Basically you're handing down stuff and calling it a "gift". Personally I don't mind it once or twice. To actually plan it out though is drastic and is just scabby. Better yet how about you just give it to people at xmas as opposed to stocking it away. I don't drink wine and have got a couple of bottles over xmas. I gave them away immediatly. It really is just the planned nature of the whole thing.

I don't get you. I never asked for all the booze, I got it the past few weeks as I quit two community groups that I was involved with for a long time. They are gifts from people. I'm not going to drink the stuff, I'll keep a few bootles in the house for visitors but the rest I'm giving away over the next few months/years. And what exactly is wrong with that?

If I go to a party at a neighbours house it's easier for me to bring them a decent bottle of whiskey, something that I know they drink, rather than spend ages wondering about something to buy them that they may never use, or already have.

It's normal in the country to give bottles of whiskey/brandy as a gift, nobody feels any way insulted by getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

We had my Dad and Father in Law (FIL) over for Christmas. My Dad gave my FIL a bottle of Gin for Christmas. I asked what they wanted to drink and my FIL asked for a Gin, I poured him one, while drinking it he comment on how it tasted different, I said it had been open for a while but should still be good. When getting him another he asked had I a different bottle as he thought the Bombay was off, when I said I didn't but could open the one my Dad gave him he said he'd have the Bombay again.

Stingy how?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Birneybau wrote: »
    Stingy how?

He'd rather drink somebody else's gone-off gin than open his own bottle.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Does gin go off? I was under the impression distilled alcohol doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Angron wrote: »
    Does gin go off? I was under the impression distilled alcohol doesn't.

It doesnt, it's a hard spirit. If anything the older it gets the better it should taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

It was in a French themed hamper, great stuff in ice cream.

I don't get you. I never asked for all the booze, I got it the past few weeks as I quit two community groups that I was involved with for a long time. They are gifts from people. I'm not going to drink the stuff, I'll keep a few bootles in the house for visitors but the rest I'm giving away over the next few months/years. And what exactly is wrong with that?

If I go to a party at a neighbours house it's easier for me to bring them a decent bottle of whiskey, something that I know they drink, rather than spend ages wondering about something to buy them that they may never use, or already have.

It's normal in the country to give bottles of whiskey/brandy as a gift, nobody feels any way insulted by getting one.

Agree, I can't see anything wrong with passing on drink, chocolates etc, in this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

My so called best friend is stinge defined. She currently has three presents for me in the back of her car - two birthday and one Christmas. On each occasion she says, "Oh I'm after leaving your present in the car, I'll get it later!" and I never see them.

Her five year old son was complaining that his coat was too tight and he was told to stop whingeing, that Santa would be bringing him a new one.

Her Dad offered to pay for her wedding and speculated a sum. She cut her invitation list to 4 and asked to keep the difference. Oh she spent a lot on her wedding dress alright..for all the people who will actually get to see it.

She lives in her parents converted garage that they spent their life savings on when she got knocked up - and hands over nothing for bills etc.

She has thousands saved, probably still has her communion money and yet she'll be delighted if her parents ask her to get something in the shop and forget to ask for their change back - maybe I'm wrong but isn't that stealing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I think you need a better friend Oldnotwise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement