Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    My so called best friend is stinge defined. She currently has three presents for me in the back of her car - two birthday and one Christmas. On each occasion she says, "Oh I'm after leaving your present in the car, I'll get it later!" and I never see them.

Her five year old son was complaining that his coat was too tight and he was told to stop whingeing, that Santa would be bringing him a new one.

Her Dad offered to pay for her wedding and sepculated a sum. She cut her invitation list to 4 and asked to keep the difference. Oh she spent a lot on her wedding dress alright..for all the people who will actually get to see it.

She lives in her parents converted garage that they spent their life savings on when she got knocked up - and hands over nothing for bills etc.

She has thousands saved, probably still has her communion money and yet she'll be delighted if her parents ask her to get something in the shop and forget to ask for their change back - maybe I'm wrong but isn't that stealing?
    Your friend is a sad case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I think you need a better friend Oldnotwise.

Indeed. I am blessed with one. My mistake was tolerating her behavior for so long because we grew up together and have been friends for 25 years. My true best friend has been on the scene for 10 years, but I am much closer to him. Just shows that history/time spent together is not everything! :) And in fact, what she has done annoys me - if he did it I'd be devastated. He said as much today over lunch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

Got a gift of a box of chocolate this year ........... 2 years past the best before date. Opened them up and the chocolate was gone grey :)

It's the thought that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Got a gift of a box of chocolate this year ........... 2 years past the best before date. Opened them up and the chocolate was gone grey :)

It's the thought that counts.

Were they Butlers by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

Yes they were .................. how did you know ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

It would be priceless if they were the person who gifted the chocolate to you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

I won a box from a scratch card just before xmas and it was the exact same, wasn't happy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

chrissb8 wrote: »
    That really defeats the purpose of a gift. No thought, no genuine consideration. Just basically using people for gifts. Basically you're handing down stuff and calling it a "gift". Personally I don't mind it once or twice. To actually plan it out though is drastic and is just scabby. Better yet how about you just give it to people at xmas as opposed to stocking it away. I don't drink wine and have got a couple of bottles over xmas. I gave them away immediatly. It really is just the planned nature of the whole thing.

I don't get this.

If you get say, 6 bottles of wine as gifts at Christmas, and you don't drink wine, why NOT 'pay it forward', so to speak? Keep one or two bottles for guests, then give the rest to people who do drink wine. If you know that you're going to get gifts of alcohol at Christmas (alcohol you won't drink), then why not re-gift them, even if it is planned in advance? My dad, due to his work also used to get copious bottles of whiskey and brandy at Christmas, he would keep a couple and re-gift the rest, as he's not a big drinker. Many people would be delighted to get a bottle of Hennessy or Powers at Christmas - and if they're not, well then they can re-gift them too!!

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding your post.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Why on earth would you let that person stay again? They took you for a free ride the first time they stayed, you should've known better than to let them stay a second time.

I genuinely thought that their behaviour
    was from Being distracted by their recent loss - they were a nice person - I didn't think they did it out of malice . I was doubly shocked
    The second time - it showed them
    Up for What they really were. You just expect, better really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Birneybau wrote: »
    Stingy how?
    osarusan wrote: »
    He'd rather drink somebody else's gone-off gin than open his own bottle.

This, he'd rather drink Gin he didn't like than open up the one he was given.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

batman88 wrote: »
    How have I only seen this thread now! I have a notoriously stingy friend. A group of us went out over the Christmas for pints. Anyway we were getting last drinks and seen my mate hand in a 20 for a pint and get change back for a pint. I think I was the only one that noticed it. On to the chipper for a curry cheese and my mate started asking us for a fiver as he is skint. One of the lads gave him a fiver and I called him up on it saying he handed in a 20 for the last pint he got. He said that he had gone over the budget that night and didn't want to spend anymore or he wouldn't be able to go out tomorrow night for a few. Friend demanded his fiver back and gave it to him. The stingy fecker was in shock and went home. He apologized the following day and said he was just drunk. There's tons of other stories about him and he is no way skint!

I worked with a lad years ago who was a whore for this. Every lunch break was the same. He'd get to the shop 1st and buy his 20 smokes and pocket the change. Then he'd tap 2 or 3 lads for 50 cents each to get his bar of chocolate. Fcuker was that mean i swear he only breathed in!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

mfceiling wrote: »
    I worked with a lad years ago who was a whore for this. Every lunch break was the same. He'd get to the shop 1st and buy his 20 smokes and pocket the change. Then he'd tap 2 or 3 lads for 50 cents each to get his bar of chocolate. Fcuker was that mean i swear he only breathed in!!

He'd be going on his own, stingy muppet.

jca wrote: »
    He'd be going on his own, stingy muppet.

He was clever enough....back in the tiger days no one took a lunch...we all hit the shop and he took full advantage of this - not me though. I was wise to his shit...

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

mfceiling wrote: »
    ... Fcuker was that mean i swear he only breathed in!!

:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BTW the 1986 calendars are the ones you can now pull out and use again.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

If you want to see stingy people at work then go into any Tesco at about 7pm when the staff are bringing out the trolley with the reduced items on it. I feel embarrassed for peoples loss of dignity. Fist fights over a pack of bananas that are nearly black but sure they are only 6 cent!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

If you want to see stingy people at work then go into any Tesco at about 7pm when the staff are bringing out the trolley with the reduced items on it. I feel embarrassed for peoples loss of dignity. Fist fights over a pack of bananas that are nearly black but sure they are only 6 cent!

Perhaps people buy these items out of necessity. If they don't get the 6c bananas their kids get no supper.

BTW the 1986 calendars are the ones you can now pull out and use again.

Took mine back out - just laughing at the New Years Resolutions i had written on it.

1. Get rid of acne

2. Lose my virginity

3. Move out of parents house

Looks like i'll be re-using them as well...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

If you want to see stingy people poor people then go into any Tesco at about 7pm when the staff are bringing out the trolley with the reduced items on it. I feel embarrassed for peoples loss of dignity. Fist fights over a pack of bananas that are nearly black but sure they are only 6 cent!

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

amdublin wrote: »
    FYP

Stingy
    I stand by my judgement thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

You know what you do when you don't have much money? You buy cheaper items of food. Doesn't mean you're stingy. Its some people's reality.

You know what you do when you don't have much money? You buy cheaper items of food. Doesn't mean you're stingy. Its some people's reality.

Let me just clarify. I'm not saying it's stingy to buy reduced food at all.
    What is stingy is seeing the lengths people go to in order to get them and stop others from getting them. That's what I meant about the fights. When you are physically taking items out of other people's hands than you are stingy in my book

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Let me just clarify. I'm not saying it's stingy to buy reduced food at all.
    What is stingy is seeing the lengths people go to in order to get them and stop others from getting them. That's what I meant about the fights. When you are physically taking items out of other people's hands than you are stingy in my book

Or desperate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Or desperate?

I know a guy on €125k a year who times his grocery shop to buy such reduced items.

Or desperate?

I think we will just have to agree to differ on that one.

Without inside knowledge of each persons life then you can't know if that person is actually desperate or indeed just stingy.

So it's all about how you judge it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I saw a guy get on the bus there just before xmas and proceed to look under nearly every unoccupied seat. I saw him again a couple of days later and he was doing the same thing. I then copped what he was up to. He was picking up bus tickets. I assume he was looking for change receipts. That's one hungry mofo.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

Hi guys,
    This **** isnt funny.
    Thank you.
    I think we will just have to agree to differ on that one.

Without inside knowledge of each persons life then you can't know if that person is actually desperate or indeed just stingy.

So it's all about how you judge it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

bear1 wrote: »
    It doesnt, it's a hard spirit. If anything the older it gets the better it should taste.

If the bottle is opened it will go off. And it won't get any better being in a bottle for years. In a cask yes, but not in a bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I've a great one.

There is a thread on a forum I follow where people put up stories of stingy things people do. But rather than post stories themselves they just bicker over what the consider to be stingy.

Oh wait that's here...

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement