Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I've a great one.

There is a thread on a forum I follow where people put up stories of stingy things people do. But rather than post stories themselves they just bicker over what the consider to be stingy.

Oh wait that's here...

Hello, pot? This is kettle. You're black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

If the bottle is opened it will go off. And it won't get any better being in a bottle for years. In a cask yes, but not in a bottle.

Yeah, a bottle of 25 year old single malt buried in ice for 20,000 years is still a 25 year old malt, just one with a good back story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I did a charity walk this morning.

Half-way through there was a water station and someone had donated a tin of Roses which were open on the table.

I saw a middle-aged man take two massive handfuls and stash them in his pockets.

FFS dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Whenever my dad is going for a game of golf (which is almost every week) he visits Argos on his way to pocket some of the little pencils to keep scores. Half seriously, I bought him a jumbo pack of golf pencils to save him the effort. He regifted the pencils to a golf buddy, and still steals them from Argos. We tease him over it all the time, he just doesn't seem to understand why we find it so stingey/funny. "But they give them out for free, why would I buy my own?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Let me just clarify. I'm not saying it's stingy to buy reduced food at all.
    What is stingy is seeing the lengths people go to in order to get them and stop others from getting them. That's what I meant about the fights. When you are physically taking items out of other people's hands than you are stingy in my book

OK so let me get this straight.

You have laid down some kind of rule that needy people must only buy reduced food in a particular manner/behaviour which is prescribed by you. If they do not act in a way you deem appropriate, you now consider them to be stingy. Got ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Can you just drop the poor/stingy debate. This thread was ruined before by similar crap.

I was at a bbq on NYE and we were told to bring our own beer and some food for the bbq, some people arrived with no beer or food. One girl brought nothing and managed to always have a drink in her hand and was fairly full (of drink) when she left!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Thought I'd drop a few in about my sister in law.

She's from a fairly wealthy (actually seriously wealthy) farming family. Her father owns three farms, and the brothers all farm. And we're talking biggish farms.

anyway.....it all started at the wedding - which in fairness her family paid for in a decent hotel with several hundred guests (her Dad also gave them a serious deposit for a house).....

....after the main course her mother went around gathering up left over beef. I jokingly asked if it was for the dogs and she said it certainly wasn't, it was for sandwiches at home. Later I saw her gathering up the opened but unfinished bottles of wine.

....herself has a fairly high falutin' marketing job - every present she ever gives is a corporate gift she has received from someone else. She gave me logo'ed golf balls again this year even though I don't play golf. She gave my Dad (nearly 80) a gift set of CKone, and my mother a Christmas ham!

....if you call in she'll offer you a cup of tea or coffee, but it's the rankest cheap stuff she could find while she drinks the Barry's!

....her visits unerringly coincide with meal times - which she politely declines but suggests maybe her kids are hungry and maybe a bit of tea for them would be ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Jawgap wrote: »
    ....if you call in she'll offer you a cup of tea or coffee, but it's the rankest cheap stuff she could find while she drinks the Barry's!

Wha? Isn't barrys the cheap stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭crybaby

Can you just drop the poor/stingy debate. This thread was ruined before by similar crap.

I was at a bbq on NYE and we were told to bring our own beer and some food for the bbq, some people arrived with no beer or food. One girl brought nothing and managed to always have a drink in her hand and was fairly full when she left!

Bring beer and food? Jesus what an amazing bunch of hosts

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

Jawgap wrote: »
    Thought I'd drop a few in about my sister in law.

She's from a fairly wealthy (actually seriously wealthy) farming family. Her father owns three farms, and the brothers all farm. And we're talking biggish farms.

anyway.....it all started at the wedding - which in fairness her family paid for in a decent hotel with several hundred guests (her Dad also gave them a serious deposit for a house).....

....after the main course her mother went around gathering up left over beef. I jokingly asked if it was for the dogs and she said it certainly wasn't, it was for sandwiches at home. Later I saw her gathering up the opened but unfinished bottles of wine.

....herself has a fairly high falutin' marketing job - every present she ever gives is a corporate gift she has received from someone else. She gave me logo'ed golf balls again this year even though I don't play golf. She gave my Dad (nearly 80) a gift set of CKone, and my mother a Christmas ham!

....her visits unerringly coincide with meal times - which she politely declines but suggests maybe her kids are hungry and maybe a bit of tea for them would be ok!

Maybe that why they are wealthy.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

crybaby wrote: »

You arrive to any gathering and expect to get beer when you arrive? Even when told not to I'd bring some beer to any party.

And while I'd usually buy all the bits for a bbq if I have guests over, I wouldn't consider it tight if someone is having up to 20 people over and didn't supply everything, people not showing up etc. would have ya very outta pocket (especially over here where 4 burgers cost 7 dollars!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Maybe that why they are wealthy.....

Maybe, but I suspect it's the Single Farm Payments that has a greater impact.

I think some stingy people are just very clever, resourceful and creative.

In my definition, the true socially objectionable stinge does what she does - imposes her stinginess differentially so you suffer from it and she doesn't.

In the case of the tea / coffee incident - I don't mind people saving money by drinking cheap stuff but when you give a guest the cheap stuff and you drink the [relatively] good stuff that's both stingy and bad manners.

In the case of the Christmas gifts, I think if she was being creative she'd have had her kids do a painting or something for my Dad - what grandfather wouldn't love to get a painting, home-made card or something like that from their grandchildren? Giving the man a re-cycled gift in those circumstances is just plain mean.

In contrast, another sister-in-law is very generous - with her time. Her gift to me (and just about everyone else this year) was handknitted scarves using the wool she got earlier in the year from Aldi or Lidl - a socially acceptable, creative 'stinge' gift :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I don't think I've ever gone to a party at a friends and not brought booze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭burnhardlanger

My cousins were related to a notorious stingebag.
    He passed away in the mid-ninties.
    His sister, an elderly lady, asked our cousins dad to clear out the house, a rundown country cottage and said he could take what he wanted.

Now the man's sister assumed given his simplistic lifestyle (think scrooge-like/crying chair furnishings) that there wouldn't be much to claim anyway.

His dad went about his business and under the fireplace grate he found notes.
    Old, musty, bank Notes dating from the 50's.

Delighted and curious, he proceeded over the weekend to uncover cash hidden in a variety of novelty places. Hollows in the walls covered with wallpaper, buried in biscuit boxes in the back garden, stuffed up door frames, stair bannisters stuffed to the brim etc.

All told, he found over 20k in Irish bank notes. Not an insignificant sum.
    It was like going on winning streak minus the shame. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

You arrive to any gathering and expect to get beer when you arrive? Even when told not to I'd bring some beer to any party.

And while I'd usually buy all the bits for a bbq if I have guests over, I wouldn't consider it tight if someone is having up to 20 people over and didn't supply everything, people not showing up etc. would have ya very outta pocket (especially over here where 4 burgers cost 7 dollars!)

"Bring & Braai" we call it in SA, Fairly standard in OZ too IIRC from my time out there. I always ask what I need to bring when I get an invite and if I'm told not to bring anything I would dig out a nice bottle of wine for the hosts depending on their preference.

That said when I invite people I normally proivde everything, but I'm the perfect host :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

His sister, an elderly lady, asked our cousins dad to clear out the house, a rundown country cottage and said he could take what he wanted.

Now the man's sister assumed given his simplistic lifestyle (think scrooge-like/crying chair furnishings) that there wouldn't be much to claim anyway.

Delighted and curious, he proceeded over the weekend to uncover cash hidden in a variety of novelty places. Hollows in the walls covered with wallpaper, buried in biscuit boxes in the back garden, stuffed up door frames, stair bannisters stuffed to the brim etc.

Did your father tell her. I know she said take what he wants and I have no problem with him doing so but if I was in a place where money was found I be very carefull. If she found out she could go to the guards for robbery. Did he get anything in writing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

This is what makes me curious, why would someone be digging up the back garden? Unless he knew that there was something buried there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭burnhardlanger

She knew about the find afaik and was happy for them to keep the cash. She was quite old herself and had no use for it. He was quite wealthy (building contractor) and she would have gotten a significant sum herself I'd imagine. She was surprised by the find and the fact that there wasn't more found. No idea why he was digging up. I'll ask more details next time I see the cousin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

That's a great story ! , I'd imagine he was digging the garden as finding notes around the house you'd imagine the owner would be the type to bury money maybe ?

anyway, one time my brother had some Canadian (they have a reputation I hear) friends staying one night - unplanned they'd missed a connecting flight from Dublin , so rather then stay at the airport my brother offered them to stay in his house in Raheny.

My Dad was dropping up to the local so they went down too,
    he bought them a round - they didn't even buy one round back.

They didn't even give my brother anything for putting them up,
    maybe a muted thanks as they got the bus to the airport - no taxi for these "thrifty" savers.

the_monkey wrote: »
    That's a great story ! , I'd imagine he was digging the garden as finding notes around the house you'd imagine the owner would be the type to bury money maybe ?

anyway, one time my brother had some Canadian (they have a reputation I hear) friends staying one night - unplanned they'd missed a connecting flight from Dublin , so rather then stay at the airport my brother offered them to stay in his house in Raheny.

maybe a muted thanks as they got the bus to the airport - no taxi for these "thrifty" savers.

I'd have shouted "YOU'RE WELCOME" as they left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

krudler wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever gone to a party at a friends and not brought booze.

bringing the food is a bit much though, like the guests may as well bring the BBQ as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

bringing the food is a bit much though, like the guests may as well bring the BBQ as well.

I found with the older generation they frown upon you bringing anything but my only experience of this is with my inlaws . There would never think of me bringing beer/ food to theirs as they usually buy in beer for me . I was told recently not to bring beer over the Xmas . Yes it can feel odd but they are lovely people and I wouldn't want to offend them .

It's a bit of a grey area. I would bring what they asked as at the end of the day it is a bit of fun for everyone and it won't be us cleaning up at the end of the night.
    I've been to a few and usually we have just been asked to bring alcohol, so I just buy something I know the hosts would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

She knew about the find afaik and was happy for them to keep the cash. She was quite old herself and had no use for it. He was quite wealthy (building contractor) and she would have gotten a significant sum herself I'd imagine. She was surprised by the find and the fact that there wasn't more found. No idea why he was digging up. I'll ask more details next time I see the cousin.

Im guessing when he found money hidden all over the house, he just assumed there would be money buried, then again i could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

On the topic of bringing food/drink to a party. My friend invited me and few others round to dinner not long ago. He offered to cook a meal for us since he recently got a pay rise/promotion or something.

But on the day of the meal, I was asked by my friend to pick up some spuds for the meal as he forgot to buy some. Fair enough I thought, So I turned up with my spuds and saw everyone else turn up with ingredients. Chicken, veg and all sorts.

Don't know if it counts as stingy but thought it was funny he sneakily got everyone to bring all the ingredients he needed for the meal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

On the topic of bringing food/drink to a party. My friend invited me and few others round to dinner not long ago. He offered to cook a meal for us since he recently got a pay rise/promotion or something.

But on the day of the meal, I was asked by my friend to pick up some spuds for the meal as he forgot to buy some. Fair enough I thought, So I turned up with my spuds and saw everyone else turn up with ingredients. Chicken, veg and all sorts.

Don't know if it counts as stingy but thought it was funny he sneakily got everyone to bring all the ingredients he needed for the meal :)
    It's seriously bad form. You wouldn't expect to sit down and eat the minute you walk in the door but if he hadn't started preparing the food, never mind cooking it, ye must've been starving by the time it was ready.

Not just stingy but totally shameless. Did he have a whip around to cover the electricity needed to cook the food?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

What's that all aboot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I read that last sentence in Fr. Austin Purcell's voice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭ronjo

Was out the other night with a git I wont be drinking with again in a hurry.

His drinks were more than twice what both myself and the other guy was drinking and when the bill came he says I assume we are dividing that in 3 and proceeds to give LESS than a third excluding the tip too.
    He was pulled up on it sharpish and very begrudging handed over a few more quid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

ronjo wrote: »
    Was out the other night with a git I wont be drinking with again in a hurry.

His drinks were more than twice what both myself and the other guy was drinking and when the bill came he says I assume we are dividing that in 3 and proceeds to give LESS than a third excluding the tip too.
    He was pulled up on it sharpish and very begrudging handed over a few more quid.

The stingey bastard!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement