Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,585 ✭✭✭✭L1011

JMcCR wrote: »
    There was a texaco in Carlow that had a sign at the till

"€10.01 means €10.01"

Closed down now. Funny that. :rolleyes:

Losing half their traffic because Carlow has TWO bypasses might have been slightly more of a reason, I think....

edit: trying to avoid posting eleventy million times so just adding to this one

I had a lad behind the counter in the Applegreen on the M1 who must have assumed I was being the worst case of a "finger slipper" when he gave me 20 change back from a 50 for 30.18 petrol. Thats all my tank takes, its tiny, he must have thought I was just taking the piss though.

My brother is the stingiest person I know of (despite having some times when he's very generous; if he's buying a present for someone for anything it'll be expensive and well thought out); he's changed bank accounts to make 50 euro more interest over a three year period before... I'd consider my time researching the sodding interest rates to be more valuable than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cork-Chick

i grew up in mahon, not one of the classiest places in cork but it was grand... when i was around 8 we decided to venture to beaumount a more upper class place to go tricker treating thinking we would get better stuff only to meet a woman that tossed a few doggy treats into our bags trying to tell us they were buttons.she didnt realise that blue ziplock bag is very noticable... eughhhh

another time a guy i was meeting dropped a 2cent in his car and it went down under the car seat... he then abruptly decided that we could go out later cause he had to get it.i offered him 10 cent for his troubles thinking hed leave it but he took that and then proceeded to head home to get his car vac to get it...... needless to say i didnt dtay with him for xmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

grenache wrote: »
    In my job, i see people who refuse to pay 22 cent for a plastic bag, every day. Oh yeah, they'll buy 35 Euro worth of booze but wont fork out a pittance for a bag. Tight cnuts.
    Iwould also refuse to pay this.

22c a day is .22x365 = €88.30. Thats the equivilant of two slabs of Bulmers a year. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

22c a day is .22x365 = €88.30. Thats the equivilant of two slabs of Bulmers a year. :eek:

If only there was some way to use the same bag more than once...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Ahh no you would need to buy 473 bags to get two slabs of bulmers. Jeez do your sums!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ste.phen wrote: »
    If only there was some way to use the same bag more than once...

First step. Store them properly with a Bag Hutch from Globochem:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭veryangryman

In my job, i see people who refuse to pay 22 cent for a plastic bag, every day. Oh yeah, they'll buy 35 Euro worth of booze but wont fork out a pittance for a bag. Tight cnuts.

Ever consider that they can live without the plastic bag and/or care for the environment? You clearly never read up on why the levy was introduced in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Well i admit im a big thight with money and so what i ask you. For example i will never go to the cinema at night just during the day so i can get it cheaper, will never buy coke or popcorn there will buy it at the nearest tesco beforehand. I will never pay for a bag at the supermarket never even if i have to walk 2 miles with shooping in my arms.
    Also i will never ever get a taxi home on nights out i always walk home and that takes me a hour and a half to 2 hours, i just dont beleive in wasting money on taxis, before i go home i might get some chips which i haggle for in the chiper usually only pay 1 euro when they are 2 euro, and if i go to the local spar or centra and want wedges i dont ask for a portion i ask for 10 wedges which i get for 80 cent always the same price because they know me and laught at it, wheras the person who orders a portion gets maybe 12 to 13 wedges and pays 2 euro for it so basically im making a good saving.

Why don't you walk to the Cinema and offer to pay to see half the movie?

- Some other day you could haggle the other half out of them ;)

KTRIC wrote: »
    So I'm not the only boardsie in Munich :D

10 minutes later [?]

KTRIC wrote: »
    I'm working in Maynooth and living in Dunboyne, so it wasn't me. I try and avoid the U-Bahn as much as possible.

Stingiest person on this whole thread is KTRIC who seems to be enjoying all of the upmarket benefits of high-rolling Bavarian life......from County Meath!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The money he saves on living in a trailer park is also useful

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Ok where do i start

I used to work in a massive company with a subsidised canteen. A nice dinner was about €2.50. One guy used to bring two cold dinners bought at 1pm home every day for his wife and 3 kids to share. He was on about 70/80k a year. Also he never brought back to plates!!

I used to work with another girl who was mad for a boyfriend. One night she was begging me to go out but I didn't want to. Eventually I felt sorry for her and gave in but decided to drive. When I arrived in the pub she insisted on buying me a 7up because I had come out for her and then she told me it was my round and she wanted a vodka and coke!!

I know someone that did a sponsored thing for charity and never handed up the money.

I know there are loads more but I can't think now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Cork-Chick wrote: »
    i grew up in mahon, not one of the classiest places in cork but it was grand... when i was around 8 we decided to venture to beaumount a more upper class place to go tricker treating thinking we would get better stuff only to meet a woman that tossed a few doggy treats into our bags trying to tell us they were buttons.she didnt realise that blue ziplock bag is very noticable... eughhhh

another time a guy i was meeting dropped a 2cent in his car and it went down under the car seat... he then abruptly decided that we could go out later cause he had to get it.i offered him 10 cent for his troubles thinking hed leave it but he took that and then proceeded to head home to get his car vac to get it...... needless to say i didnt dtay with him for xmas

Don't badmouth mahon :mad: Everyone knows beaumount people are stingy cnuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Mont wrote: »
    Anyone notice that the meanest people are the rich ones - i have a mate whose family is loaded and the guy is the stingiest in the world - he would pick up 2c if he saw it on the street, always shops in the Somalia shop and is so proud when he picks up a top for under a tenner. One of the lads went shopping with him in Dunnes and he picked up a load of stuff but was too mean to pay the 22c for a bag so the 2 of them practically carried 15 items each for a half a mile

That's why they're rich! I used to work in an exclusive golf club where a majority of members accounts (bar) were overdrawn - they never carried a cent on them. If were to become ghosts, they wouldn't give you a fright.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Tasha90

When i was repeating my lc, a close friend of mine at the time offered to give me her old LC class notes(no books or anything) on condition that I pay her 20e per subject. Needless to say I didnt take her up on the offer and several other friends gave me notes for nothing. Also for birthdays we usually go for a meal and then out to a night club, she usually skips the meal saying its a waste of money and meets us out afterwards

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Possibly something like this earlier but what the hell.
    Used to work in a Spar where certain vegetables were weighed behind the counter. One time I weighed these tomatoes for a customer, printed the sticker and was about to scan them when the customer pointed out that the scales were not at zero when nothing was on it. I returned to the scales expecting to see a discrepancy of about 0.1kg but instead the discrepancy was 0.002kg. Yes, 2 measly grams.
    I tried explaining that this wouldn't affect the price but she retorted that she didn't want to have any unneccessary extra expense. So I had to turn the scales off, turn it back on, wait 30 seconds for it to warm up, weigh them again. Low and behold they were exactly the same price without the 2 extra grams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Ever consider that they can live without the plastic bag and/or care for the environment? You clearly never read up on why the levy was introduced in the first place
    Now now, no need to be condescending, i know why the bag levy was introduced.
    Care for the environment??! Not likely, they always ask me first if they can get the bag for free! And if they can live without the plastic bag, why ask for one in the first place? I have no problem with people who refuse to pay the levy, but i do have a problem with those cretins who expect a bag for free and then abuse me when i tell them it costs 22c. Every single day these tight measly cnuts come in and ask for a free bag. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Now now, no need to be condescending, i know why the bag levy was introduced.
    Care for the environment??! Not likely, they always ask me first if they can get the bag for free! And if they can live without the plastic bag, why ask for one in the first place? I have no problem with people who refuse to pay the levy, but i do have a problem with those cretins who expect a bag for free and then abuse me when i tell them it costs 22c. Every single day these tight measly cnuts come in and ask for a free bag. :mad:

Ah yeah.
    I had a funny experience wit hthis recently.
    I was in Tesco, at the check out behind a couple who were doing their weekly shop. They didn't have any reusable bags with them.
    And then asked for bags and were obviously told about the levy.
    Then the customers stood there, clueless as to what was going on, as though the levy had been brought in yesterday.
    They honestly didn't understand why they had to pay, then ofcourse, in a typical knacker fashion, tried to have a go at the black staff member, suggesting she was wrong.

They decided not to pay and I spotted them in the car park, emptying the contents of their trolley into the boot.

Very bizzare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Ah yeah.
    I had a funny experience wit hthis recently.
    I was in Tesco, at the check out behind a couple who were doing their weekly shop. They didn't have any reusable bags with them.
    And then asked for bags and were obviously told about the levy.
    Then the customers stood there, clueless as to what was going on, as though the levy had been brought in yesterday.
    They honestly didn't understand why they had to pay, then ofcourse, in a typical knacker fashion, tried to have a go at the black staff member, suggesting she was wrong.

They decided not to pay and I spotted them in the car park, emptying the contents of their trolley into the boot.

Very bizzare.

Hey buddy thats me and my wife your talking about, i want a apolgy now mister.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Don't badmouth mahon :mad: Everyone knows beaumount people are stingy cnuts.

She didn't really badmouth Mahon tbh.

I'm feeling some sort of inferior suburb complex from you there Dazzler. Don't worry, most people not from Blackrock suffer from it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ditchdigger

been to a few bbqs where the same guy brings tesco mince. everyone else brings the finest meat, from proper butchers. he then proceeds to eat everyone elses decent food and won't get off his arse to make burgers from the mince!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Whilst reading through this thread, I can't help but find it ironic that the thing most consistently displayed by all posters is the generosity of spirit shown by the repeated invitations given to all these tight ass b*stards.

Hey scrooge, let me get this round, wanna come to a BBQ at my place ... I'd be tight a fcuk as well if it meant that people would invite me everywhere - the mind boggles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

galwayrush wrote: »
    The HSE closing the Scoliosis unit for kids at Crumlin Hospital.

The above deserves to be quoted every day........

The "Fine Wines" chain of Off Licenses in Limerick [and beyond?] is owned by one of the wealthiest property Developers in the Mid West - He is well known for selling out of date beer from "bargain bins" in the shop - but he'll only knock 20 cents or so off!!!!!

The irony is that all his stock is generally overpriced anyway, so you could probably buy in-date beer elsewhere as cheaply :rolleyes:

- Cheap Cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

Was in work, and a guy comes to the bar.

'Give me a southern comfort and red, but spilt the 1 shot of S.comfort between 4 glasses, im a bit broke.'

Opens a wallet and gives me one of his several 50' euros in there, and of course as I reach for the till.

'HERE! Dont charge me for the dash!'

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

been to a few bbqs where the same guy brings tesco mince. everyone else brings the finest meat, from proper butchers. he then proceeds to eat everyone elses decent food and won't get off his arse to make burgers from the mince!!

What kind stu8ngey fúcker hosts a BBQ and then asks people to bring the ingredients and make their own burgers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

There's a guy at work that's a bit scabby. One of the lads said he called over to his gaff with a bottle of decent enough wine, 20 bucks a bottle stuff. Anyway, the scabby prick brings it into the kitchen and brings out the cheapest lidl wine and pours that. Keeping the nice wine for himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Quint wrote: »
    There's a guy at work that's a bit scabby. One of the lads said he called over to his gaff with a bottle of decent enough wine, 20 bucks a bottle stuff. Anyway, the scabby prick brings it into the kitchen and brings out the cheapest lidl wine and pours that. Keeping the nice wine for himself
    Yer man should have just got up and walked out. A bit harsh you might say, but how can one condone such tightness?

Oh wait, us Irish do just that, hence why it is so widespread.

Worst of all, that person in question porbably doesnt think he is mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Quint wrote: »

Lidl and Aldi actually stock some decent wines. His was probably the nicer wine of the two IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Yer man should have just got up and walked out. A bit harsh you might say, but how can one condone such tightness?

Oh wait, us Irish do just that, hence why it is so widespread.

Worst of all, that person in question porbably doesnt think he is mean.
    The guy went over a few times too and the same thing happened! I'd bring a corkscrew and open it myself!
    prinz wrote: »
    Lidl and Aldi actually stock some decent wines. His was probably the nicer wine of the two IMO.
    No, not their €5 stuff. Just no. The hangover starts after the first glass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ditchdigger

Quazzie wrote: »
    What kind stu8ngey fúcker hosts a BBQ and then asks people to bring the ingredients and make their own burgers?

He didn't host the bbq, he offered mince in place of ready to bbq meat to the host. the tight git.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

I remember watching a guy weighing his salad tub in Dunnes by kinda hovering it above the scales and taking most of the weight himself. He was really concentrating and when he printed the label and looked at the price he decided he hadn't given himself enough of a discount so he took another shot at it!
    He could of just put his finger on the scales!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

jonnner wrote: »
    I remember watching a guy weighing his salad tub in Dunnes by kinda hovering it above the scales and taking most of the weight himself. He was really concentrating and when he printed the label and looked at the price he decided he hadn't given himself enough of a discount so he took another shot at it!
    He could of just put his finger on the scales!

:rolleyes: Flaming amateur, what you do is get some stuff weigh it and put on the sticker then go back and put more stuff in and go back and weigh it again but take the new price sticker and put it into your pocket, they price people doing this into the salad bar price anyway so really you are not doing anything wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement