Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

my friend is very stingy he pays for freddo bars with his laser cards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Hogzy wrote: »
    What?:eek: Never knew such a product existed! Id say its muck tho!

Don't be slaggin "Lager", what else can you get 6 cans of for pretty much a fiver! (Yes, it is so cheap it's product name is just "Lager")

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Got free drinks vouchers at a conference. My friend ran down the road and photocopied them in an internet cafe. The woman behind the counter laughed when she saw and made plenty of copies. Worked perfect haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

sky88 wrote: »
    my friend is very stingy he pays for freddo bars with his laser cards

How is that stingy? He still pays for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I play football once a week and make my own way to the pitch. A friend brings two lads he works with as the pitch is a bit away and demands €2 each petrol money from the two of them. One week, one guy only had €1.50 and the friend got fairly p1ssed off and told the guy to bring him the 50c to work the next day.
    Wouldn't mind but this is the fella that has a part time job, gets regular hours doing DJ work (well paid for weddings, 21st's etc.) AND a grant from college. Fcuking stingy out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

This guy brought his own can of coke......

http://i35.tinypic.com/25incax.jpg

Pat Dolan, I was talking to him that night he was locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

I remember when i was on holidays a couple of months ago. one of the lads was so tight he wouldn't tip. the rest of us were gettin embarresed so on the last night we got him drunk. he was tippin goodo by the end oc the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

This happened a few years ago (two or three), so Im a little hazy on the exact details.

Anyway, a good friend of mine stiffed me on taxi fare to the tune of about 20 quid. I was slightly miffed, but assumed he'd get around to making it up at some stage.

Couple of weeks later on a nice day he invited me over to the TCD Pavilion for a few cans with his friends. Had two cans of bavaria muck, which unpon finishing, he announces he now only owes me 15 quid - subtracting the cost of the two cans at an inflated price!

Pretty ballsy!
    However, I ended up with the last can which I've kept a hold of since. I keep in my wardrobe, and I fully intend to return it.

Never did see sight of that 15 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

My old pair were at a wedding a while back.

The brides father was a shop owner. When the afters had finished he was spotted by several different people cutting the banners off the hotels newspapers so that he could reclaim the money for them. Even though they were not his

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Got free drinks vouchers at a conference. My friend ran down the road and photocopied them in an internet cafe. The woman behind the counter laughed when she saw and made plenty of copies. Worked perfect haha.

Stingy, or Genius?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Stingy, or Genius?
    Do you ever sleep :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Love this thread :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

the dazzler doesnt do sleep:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

About 3 hours a night in 5 minute cat naps every few hours.

I have unlimited internet, I have to use it to it's fullest extent!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

When doing a post grad in limerick a few years ago we used to frequent the college bar every friday at around 2-3pm for a few pints anyways we had about 6rounds over the course of 3hours. My round came we were all drinking guinness (a pint was 3.40 back in the day) so 3 pints was 10.20. Gave the bar man 10euro though it was grand considering we where there for the last few hours At the bar decided id bring 2 down as I had a few in me at this stage so left one at the bar, as i didnt want to tempt faith carrying all 3 pint glassed. returned for it the (new) barman waited by my pint and asked for the additional 20c.

Why are so many people complaining about not getting 20 cent off something? Seriously, its pretty obvious you don't want to pay 10.20 for something when you just hand in a tenner. So most barmen will make a point to wait and make you pay the 20c for just that reason. I do it all the time to people who do this as its just not cool. (im a barman). If you are truly stingy enough to not want to pay the 20c give the tenner and pretend to search through your pockets, usually they'll take pity and they'll say its grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Im living with a lad, who I swear to God is the tightest lad i've ever met. One of the lads had a beef stir fry he bought in some butchers, kept it in fridge, forgot to use it and threw it in the bin cos it was 2 days gone off. This lad comes in, opens the bin to throw something in and sees the stir fry in the butchers bag. Says "are you not eating that?" and the other lad says, no sure its gone off. So he takes it out of the bin and frys it, and eats it. Not a word of a lie.
    This evening also, he's had bread out for a week, there was mold on it and all, he says to me "would it be alright to eat that", so I says yeah sure fire away, he ate it with some chicken.
    Tightest lad ive ever met, he has more money in the bank than anyone I know, just wont spend it, never goes out, always shops in the cheapest shops, looking for bargains. Buys his clothes in the cheapest shops. Buys cereal and eats it at lunch in work instead of bringing proper food, he reckons it costs him 5 euro for 2 weeks worth of lunches!
    I don't know how anyone enjoys life living like that :/

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭KevLeppard

Work in Tesco and one time a customer went up and queued for 15 min to get a refund of 20 cents.

Previous job, the boss handed the receptionist a note written on the back of an already used post it note. The post it note was the small size guy, about 2inchs by 2 inchs. He was always doing it and called it recycling.

Job before that, worked in a hotel. Walked into the Accounts Office to get something signed and found the Accountant with a measuring tape in his hand and toilet roll fully rolled out on the floor, measuring the length of the toilet paper of 3 different brands. The General Manager made him do it as part of cutting costs on "consumables".

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

KevLeppard wrote: »

Previous job, the boss handed the receptionist a note written on the back of an already used post it note. The post it note was the small size guy, about 2inchs by 2 inchs. He was always doing it and called it recycling.

Job before that, worked in a hotel. Walked into the Accounts Office to get something signed and found the Accountant with a measuring tape in his hand and toilet roll fully rolled out on the floor, measuring the length of the toilet paper of 3 different brands. The General Manager made him do it as part of cutting costs on "consumables".

Fe%k all wrong with these two imo, do you know how much businesses spend on small stuff that staff waste each year? It adds up..... If it was your money they were wiping their ar$es with you'd be measuring toilet roll too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭A_SN

Fe%k all wrong with these two imo, do you know how much businesses spend on small stuff that staff waste each year? It adds up..... If it was your money they were wiping their ar$es with you'd be measuring toilet roll too!
    I'm pretty sure that at Tesco they show the cost per hundreds of sheets. Although if they wanted to get all methodical with it, they'd test two different toilet papers on a whole bunch of equivalent rooms, and see which cost them the most after a couple of weeks. Cause it's not all about sheet count or roll length, if you have some thin paper then people might double or triple them.

So that's not a case of being stingy more than a case of doing things the wrong way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭powerfade

In Thailand I was out for dinner one night. Everyone was chilling in the restaurant after dinner watching some movie on TV(as you do over there). Group of about 20 Israelis next to us. These guys are after 3 course dinner and they get their receipt. They then proceed to start arguing with the waiter over an extra portion of chips on their bill. I mean chips cost a grand total of about 20 cents and so it would have cost them 1 cent each.... They caused a huge scene, the poor guys running the restaurant don't know what to do and on 3 different occaisons random people offered to pay for the chips. Eventually the Thai guys just took it off their bill. Scabiest display I have ever seen...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

i knew a friend for lunch who would go up the town to get a roll in supervalu
    and then down to the other end to dunnes to get a bottle of coke

rolls in supervalu were cheaper but the bottle of coke was 1.20 in supervalu. and only 1.00 in dunnes

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

irishbird wrote: »
    I was working at a music concert last year.

some drunk guy buys a snack box (chips and chicken), he then proceeds to fall asleep at the end of the counter (the beer got the better of him).

Anyway, he is dripping and being sick in to the chicken box. some guy who takes the chicken box and starts eating it, shaking the sick off it first

hahahahahahahahah brilliant!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭A_SN

powerfade wrote: »
    In Thailand I was out for dinner one night. Everyone was chilling in the restaurant after dinner watching some movie on TV(as you do over there). Group of about 20 Israelis next to us. These guys are after 3 course dinner and they get their receipt. They then proceed to start arguing with the waiter over an extra portion of chips on their bill. I mean chips cost a grand total of about 20 cents and so it would have cost them 1 cent each.... They caused a huge scene, the poor guys running the restaurant don't know what to do and on 3 different occaisons random people offered to pay for the chips. Eventually the Thai guys just took it off their bill. Scabiest display I have ever seen...
    Stingy Jews!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

went to a restaurant with a m8 of mine who bought a starter for 5.60e and ordered tap water so thats all he'd spend then left just before the bill came putting 5e on the table. i couldn't believe it like

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Nebit wrote: »
    went to a restaurant with a m8 of mine who bought a starter for 5.60e and ordered tap water so thats all he'd spend then left just before the bill came putting 5e on the table. i couldn't believe it like

What's 60c between mates???

Annoying all the same if he just presumed you'd pay it without asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

jasonorr wrote: »
    What's 60c between mates???

Annoying all the same.

it wasn't the 60c that annoyed me, it was the fact e got a starter as his meal and didn leave a tip or anything for the surprisingly good waitress

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Nebit wrote: »
    it wasn't the 60c that annoyed me, it was the fact e got a starter as his meal and didn leave a tip or anything for the surprisingly good waitress

We aren't really a tipping nation to be honest, it doesn't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

A_SN wrote: »
    Stingy Jews!!

Israeli =/= Jew.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A_SN wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that at Tesco they show the cost per hundreds of sheets. Although if they wanted to get all methodical with it, they'd test two different toilet papers on a whole bunch of equivalent rooms, and see which cost them the most after a couple of weeks. Cause it's not all about sheet count or roll length, if you have some thin paper then people might double or triple them.

So that's not a case of being stingy more than a case of doing things the wrong way.
    or use Bounty rolls cut in half, one sheet should be enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

Nead21 wrote: »
    i was there a bit earlier. rented off him in 00/01 when i was in second year. our house was in stillorgan.

Just randomly reading through this thread and had to laugh at the description of the landlord. Rented off him in 03 when doing my Masters, possibly the same house. It was my first time living in Dublin though so I was anxious to get somewhere to live and just took this place. Should have listened to the alarm bells ringing when he said there'd be ten in the house. Boyfriend and myself had the whole top floor to ourselves but there was fook all in it apart from a bed and a table and chair. there were three fellas in the room on the ground floor and he told them he'd knock a few quid off if they got a fourth person in, it was like a dormitory as it was!! :D When May came around he was encouraging us to stay on for the summer but we'd found a lovely apartment to share in Milltown at that stage. It was like heaven after the 8 months in J Mc D Land.

Some of ye were lucky he wore the vest to your first meeting. I seem to recall he was topless when we first met him. Again with the alarm bells...:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement