Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

A relative on the inlaws side got us a much heralded Xmas present one year, a subscription to National Geographic. When it arrived there was a card included offering a year subscription for a friend to NG for 1c (U.S. based).

Ah, the outlaws, a decent bunch if ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 exsting

The worst I heard about stingiest people,

One day I went shopping with this lady and her friend we was going to this
    Ice cream shop and it was this lady's turn to pay for 3 ice creams. She spent all
    Day looking through her pockets for her money but she said she ain't got none.
    So I got my wallet out and payed for the ice creams. But the minute me and her mate
    Turn our backs round to look for a seat, this stingy lady ate all the our ice creams plus hers
    And then she had the cheek to pay for one more ice cream and she ate it when I wasn't looking.

I only found out what she did when the person who sold her the ice cream saw everything.
    So by the time we all came out of the shop I went crazy and beat her up.

I hate stingy people!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

For Christmas one year I gave away presents I'd gotten. Not in a stingy way though, really; I had the board games already and didn't need two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

exsting wrote: »

Ice cream shop and it was this lady's turn to pay for 3 ice creams. She spent all
    So I got my wallet out and payed for the ice creams. But the minute me and her mate
    Turn our backs round to look for a seat, this stingy lady ate all the our ice creams plus hers
    And then she had the cheek to pay for one more ice cream and she ate it when I wasn't looking.

I only found out what she did when the person who sold her the ice cream saw everything.

I hate stingy people!
    I love this post!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I love this post!

That's what the thanks button is for! That's how you tell everyone.
    /wanders off muttering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

exsting wrote: »

I hate stingy people!

For some reason I keep thinking of cool for cats by squeeze when i read this! think it must be the cockney lingo or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I was throwing out some Tapes the kind you would archive data onto (or as seen in camcorders)
    I needed to break the tapes before dumping them
    so they could not be re-used or read.

Bloke in work asked me for the screws! from the tape's
    so he could use them to fix the likes of Sunglasses and reading glasses (even though he does not wear glasses)

~b

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

bullets wrote: »

Bloke in work asked me for the screws! from the tape's
    so he could use them to fix the likes of Sunglasses and reading glasses (even though he does not wear glasses)

~b

Ahhh thats acceptable though, you know sunglasses spare screws are a rareity these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Just James!

For some reason I keep thinking of cool for cats by squeeze when i read this! think it must be the cockney lingo or something...
    Hahahahahahahahahaha. Brilliant. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Happened about last month, the night of the Call of duty midnight release, I got a knock on my door some fifteen year old that i've seen a few times around bit of a "scruff" with a sponsor card for "charity", so i sponsored him two euro on the sponsor card he gave me and the wasted pen :o and away he went, I went down to Xtravision a few hours later and whilst I was in the que I spotted him just one or two people away from me. I heard him chatting to his mate he said "It only took me about an hour to fill that sponsor card, easiest money ever made" and the other fella beside him says " Yeah it didn't take me too long either, Jake said he only has a few houses left to do before he gets his game". Seen him walking out with a huge grin on his face, Little Bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Happened about last month, the night of the Call of duty midnight release, I got a knock on my door some fifteen year old that i've seen a few times around bit of a "scruff" with a sponsor card for "charity", so i sponsored him two euro on the sponsor card he gave me and the wasted pen :o and away he went, I went down to Xtravision a few hours later and whilst I was in the que I spotted him just one or two people away from me. I heard him chatting to his mate he said "It only took me about an hour to fill that sponsor card, easiest money ever made" and the other fella beside him says " Yeah it didn't take me too long either, Jake said he only has a few houses left to do before he gets his game". Seen him walking out with a huge grin on his face, Little Bastard.

In fairness, not badly done!! He got the game didn't he!!!

In fairness, not badly done!! He got the game didn't he!!!

Yeah I wanted to smash it up infront of his face but my owlfella said god loves a trier :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

The cheeky fecker! did he say what "charity" it was? :p

The cheeky fecker! did he say what "charity" it was? :p

Our Lady's hospice in Crumlin :( :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

That's a smart chap.
    He'll do well in life! Using any resources to get what he wants.. Fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 carey

My mate asked me for 1.40 cos he didnt want to break a 10er
    Same fella: we bought a box of miller for 20 euro and agreed to split it. I drank 11 bottles and he only had 7 so he would only agree to pay for what he drank and took out his phone and worked out that each bottle was 83c and thats what he paid! Unreal!

He also looked for 5 euro off me for giving me a lift a mile down the road cos he said he needed it for petrol!

And i wouldnt mind he has money comin out of his ears!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Little Bastard.

That's why I never sponsor the little runts. Get plenty of them to my door at the same racket.
    Our Lady's hospice in Crumlin

Maybe he's got a sense of humour, because that's where he'd up if he got caught out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭furiousox

l used to know a guy who would eat a packet of crisps (without sharing obviously) then rip the bag open and lick the insides of the packet.

We used to throw old 2p pieces on the ground when his back was turned and he would scour the area until he found them! :eek:

CPL 593H

I know some fúckers that keep the trocaire boxes as well.
    One of my mates had two of his kids trocaire boxes and said to some fella in Londis that the school has to have the moiney in notes so he changed the money into mnotes for him and it worked out to be about 26 quid, which was spent on drink :O.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

Anyone who doesnt tip a delivery person is stingy in my books i know its only courtesy and they are under no obligation to do so,but its a nice gesture to show you are satisfied with their service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

triple-M wrote: »
    Anyone who doesnt tip a delivery person is stingy in my books i know its only courtesy and they are under no obligation to do so,but its a nice gesture to show you are satisfied with their service

Depends if they arrive on time. If I'm paying them to deliver something, I'm not going to give them extra unless the service was really extraordinary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

If I'm satisfied with their service, I'll pay for the service which is added to the cost of the order. If not, they can bring back the cold food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 sml68

Used to work with a bloke who bought fish every saturday on moore st, he'd get a fivers worth then ask would they throw in a bit extra for a pensioner a few doors up from him, they always did, no pensioner though, miserable **** ate it himself!
    He also drives around lookin for skips to throw his rubbish in, c***s from D4!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Why would I tip a take-away delivery person? Delivery is normally free for close by, or factored into the cost anyway as an added charge. Either way they're still getting paid for it. A nice gesture is saying thanks. The only time I'd tip a food order is if it's freezing outside and I couldn't be bothered waiting for change. That's not stingy ffs. I don't tip the bus driver, I don't tip the shopkeeper.

Only if someone was delivering somthing like a tv or a washing machine and they gave a hand getting it into place etc would I tip someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

My 60 odd next door neighbour was caught by my other neighbour wearing a hoody for disguise outside about midnight dumping her rubbish into other neighbours bins along the road! She has also been caught numerous times dumping the grease from the deep fat fryer down my drain not the one on her side obviously and have had the corpo out about half a dozen times over the past 10 years to unblock the drains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Was out a few weeks ago in the pub and invited my girlfriend along. She arrived quite late and I was busy being drunk and suchlike so she was chatting to my housemate. Being the friendly guy he is he offered to buy her a drink; and then another one; and then another one.

We had a whole conversation the next day about what a generous guy he is. Two weeks later I notice that he has left me twenty quid short on the rent so I asked him where it was. "Oh yeah" he says "you owe me for Mary's drinks last month."

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ithaca

A miser from times past (taken from Brewer's Rogues, Villains and Eccentrics):

Barrett, John (1753-1821), scholar, miser and recluse. A distinguished classicist, Dr Barrett rose to the position of vice provost of Trinity College, Dublin. The son of a clergyman, he entered Trinity as a student in 1767 at the age of 14 and spent the rest of his life behind its walls, venturing further afield just three times a year: once to accompany the other fellows on their annual outing to the new observatory at Dunsink, and twice to cross the street to pick up his half-yearly dividend from the Bank of Ireland. His many academic achievements included the discovery and editing of a rare copy of St. Mattew's Gospel written in Greek, which he came across in the college Library.

In his novel, Charles O'Malley (1842), Charles Lever provides a portrait of Barrett in old age:

"Dr Barrett was, at the time I speak of, close upon seventy years old, scarecely five feet in height, and even that diminutive stature lessened by a stoop. His dress was a suit of the rustiest black, threadbare and patched in several places, while a pair of large leather slippers, far too big for his feet, imparted a sliding motion to his walk that added an indescribable meanness to his appearance."

Barrett's rooms were dark and gloomy - a consequence of the windows never being cleaned - and quite unfurnished apart from books. Dusty volumes were piled high on a table and two stuffed chairs. His quarters were never heated, even in the coldest weather, since it was more economical to warm himself in the college kitchen than light a fire. On one occation a party of students had to resuscitate him with a tumbler of rum after they had found him nearly frozen to death, sitting in the dark with one flickering candle by his chair. Because he could eat in college the only provisions he was normally obliged to buy were for his breakfast, which consisted of a pennyworth of bread and a halfpennyworth of milk. Once he sent his servant, an old lady called Catty, for the milk with a penny and instructions to bring back the change. She slipped, broke her leg and was carried off to hospital where she was visited by Barrett. 'Do you hear me, Catty, where's the jug? he asked. 'Oh, Doctor dear,' she managed to say, 'sure the jug was broken and I couldn't help it.' 'Very good, Catty' Barrett reassured her, 'that's true, it couldn't be helped; but do you see me now, where's my halfpence change?'

In an age of wigs, Barrett wore his own hair, but he powdered it properly when he had to take examinations. His invigilating duties done, he combed out the powder on to a sheet of paper, and preserved it for the next occasion. He saved up his guineas - acquired, some claimed, by the sale of accumulated candle ends - and kepy them in a sock until he had enough to buy a debenture. The only person he ever lent money to was Magee, afterwards archbishop of Dublin. Once, while he was lending Magee five pounts the stocking broke, scattering guineas all over the floor. 'Stop, stop, Magee!' cried Barrett, 'do you see me now, stand on the table and I'll pick them up.' It was then discovered that one guinea was missing. 'They are all right butone. One is gone, and maybe it rolled into a mousetrap and maybe it didn't.' The quarrel lasted a lifetime and when Magee was promoted to bishop, Barrett remarked: 'Do you see me now - I don't care if he was made Bishop of Hell so long as I am not in his lordship's diocese.'

The doctor was equally unforgiving of Miss Anne Plumptre, who offered her impression of him in her Narrative of a Residence in Ireland (1871). She paid tribute to Barrett's erudition but also noted his 'simplicity of manners and utter ignorance of the world.' She then pointed out that although his income as a fellow was £2000 a year, he spent no more than £20 of it except on books. He clearly read hers with care, for in the Minutes of the Library dated 9 September 1817 he wrote:

"I put up in the Library and entered in both catalogues the 46 volumes sent in by Mullens last Saturday, with the exception of Miss Anne Plumptre's Narrative which I hope the Board will order to be licked up as too silly and too ill-mannered for a public library. Travel in savage countries by all means, Miss Plumptre, and publish their conversations if you can, but spare the feelings of those who are accustomed to the rules and decencies of civilized life."

Dr. Barrett died a wealthy man, having spent a lifetime accumulating money and avoiding his relatives. Catty received an annuity from the £80,000 he left, and the remainder was given to the college fellows in trust for charitable purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Monkey61 wrote: »
    "Oh yeah" he says "you owe me for Mary's drinks last month."

He offered the drinks? I would ask him to move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

A guy who used to live in an appartment beside me would stop the electricty meter from turning. He would only allow it to run for a few days each quarter. He would then brag by showing me his €20 electricity bill.

After the guy went all psycho on me, I reported him to the ESB, but they took no action. I guess they don't mind if you steal electricity from them.

The same guy also never opened the front door when somebody knocked (shared hallway), even though his appartment was closest to the door. When I asked him why, he said it as so he would never get caught by the TV License Inspector.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

A guy who used to live in an appartment beside me would stop the electricty meter from turning. He would only allow it to run for a few days each quarter. He would then brag by showing me his €20 electricity bill.

After the guy went all psycho on me, I reported him to the ESB, but they took no action. I guess they don't mind if you steal electricity from them.

The same guy also never opened the front door when somebody knocked (shared hallway), even though his appartment was closest to the door. When I asked him why, he said it as so he would never get caught by the TV License Inspector.

Is that you barry? you were not exactly the best neighbour yourself what with your lust for loud music at all hours of the morning:mad:.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement