Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

TomCo wrote: »
    I put them in a box or just leave them on my desk to pile up.
    Cashed in my stash last year and came back with €20.

Money down the drain if you don't cash them in.

Actually they keep records of all the recipts issued and the money that isn't claimed back is given to charity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Preboom

This one is going back a while. An old lady who was holier than thou was a life member of a religous group in my local village. The group met every week. There was a silent collection each week whereby one put some money into a bag. A bit like the collections at Sunday Mass except what you donated was concealed. Anyhow, a young fellow put in a 50p coin that was damaged. When it came to counting the money at the end of the evening, the 50p was gone. The old lady used take money out instead of putting it in. It was going on for years. The 50p was a set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Preboom wrote: »
    This one is going back a while. An old lady who was holier than thou was a life member of a religous group in my local village. The group met every week. There was a silent collection each week whereby one put some money into a bag. A bit like the collections at Sunday Mass except what you donated was concealed. Anyhow, a young fellow put in a 50p coin that was damaged. When it came to counting the money at the end of the evening, the 50p was gone. The old lady used take money out instead of putting it in. It was going on for years. The 50p was a set up.

Lucky that she took that particular coin.

Scabby old bint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Uncle of mine came home to find his house was broken into and the scumbags who did it also left him a nice "present" in the stew he made the previous night

He threw half of the stew out !

All the posts on this thread have me in stiches laughing .
    great thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭veryangryman

robbie1977 wrote: »
    Half of the posts on this thread is just made up stories.

Do you make a career out of ruining excellent threads? Get some christmas spirit for gods sake - the readers here aint stupid - we just like a laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

Friend of mine holds the petrol pump tube up high with the nozzle in his tank after his put petrol in and shakes it for 5 mins to ensure he gets every last drop out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Preboom

I don't know if it's true or not but heard that Jack Charleton would never pay for meals with cash or a credit card while in Ireland. He would always pay with a cheque knowing that the various establishments would frame it as opposed to cash it.

Separate story, went out with a girl one time who didn't believe in spending money on bras. Very hot lass. My first love. Took me a long time to get over her. Will now head to the personal issues forum ...sob sob.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

streings wrote: »
    I was out collecting money for Friends of the Elderly and a guy stopped right beside me, took out a fiver, put it halfway down the hole in the box then started to laugh and took it out and walked away. Stingey wanker.:mad:

Haha I did that today with a 50 with those college sleep out.. Tools.

Was pretty funny if I say so myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Walking by Santa's Grotto and a guy says to the other

"jeez their making some money this year"

other lad (who said this quite loudly in front of a lot of people with kids in the queue to see santa)

"YEAH, SHAME SANTA ISIN'T REAL !!!"

I laughed but at the same time felt bad for the kids :pac:

robbie_998 wrote: »
    Walking by Santa's Grotto and a guy says to the other

"jeez their making some money this year"

other lad (who said this quite loudly in front of a lot of people with kids in the queue to see santa)

"YEAH, SHAME SANTA ISIN'T REAL !!!"

I laughed but at the same time felt bad for the kids :pac:

I don't get how this is stingy?

• Advertisement

SV wrote: »
    I don't get how this is stingy?

Dude ! shouting around in front of a load of lil kids "SANTS ISIN'T REAL" is stingy.

or i guess its really mean but i dont see a thread "meanest thing you've seen people do" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dude ! shouting around in front of a load of lil kids "SANTS ISIN'T REAL" is stingy.

or i guess its really mean but i dont see a thread "meanest thing you've seen people do" :P

Ohhhh that could be a good one since people are generally bastards

I don't think you understand what stingy means.

SV wrote: »
    I don't think you understand what stingy means.

i do indeed understand... look back through this thread and i have a mega post about stingyness from an oul bat !

EDIT: i went through the trouble to find it for you
    lads im loving this thread

but the worst which really fvucking piss's me off to the limit is fvcking oul ones.

once my stomach was rumbling cos i hadn't eating since last night before i went to bed when i was small, the next day at about 6 ish my ma and me were in some **** hole of a pub in town and i wanted something to eat (dinner) but insted she gets me this poxy cheap **** of lemonade and says "drink that you'll be fine" FFS IM FVCKING HUNGRY THE FVCK !!! as soon as my dad heard about it he snapped and said WTF are you doing buying him lemonade for !!! YOU SHOULD HAVE GOT HIM WATER INSTED ! (he was only joking. lol) but he did actually give out to my ma for that and he went and made me a huge dinner :)

another great one is she WILL ALWAYS look on the ground for money as she's walkin alone for every last cent... and i do mean every last cent and if i dont pick up any money of the ground and she see's it she'll go on and say "ah why didnt you pick it up???" and i'd be like wtf its only 1c like !!!

if she ever eats out like in a burger king or something she would get chips as ya do but out of pure stinginess she would complain that their cold (even though there are 3 others eating the same thing) and still eat about half of them and go back up and complain so she could get more for free !!!!!

she has a car and if anybody asked her to drop them to the shop are anything like that (only 2 mins away drive... not even 1 kilometer !!!) she would ask for fecking petrol money EVEN IF SHE WAS GOING THERE BY HERSELF ANYWAY !!!

driving back from my sisters house in Dunboyne to clondalkin ... she knew exactly where to go.. went past blanch roundabout and i told her specifically to go right around the roundabout onto the M50 but out of pure stinginess she goes on straight into fvcking town just so she dosent have to pay €2 for the toll bridge and ended up being an extra 40min drive rather than the regular 10 min drive if i was with anybody else. !!!!

she never buys bags from shops and when she forgets to bring a bag to shopping she'll carrying everything by hand and even get a shop worker to help her !!!

any time walking down the street while looking for money she will pick up all smoke cartons to see if there any smokes left in them so she could sell them to somebody !!!

in a cafe or mc donalds or what ever she will TAKE LOADS of salts packs and tissues to take home and i mean LOADS !!! if in restaurant with friends or what ever ... the salt shakers and forks, knifes EVERYTHING bar the plates on the table and the table itself would be gone... very little cleaning for the staff !!!

any presents or anything for Christmas or whatever are always cheap little pieces of **** that are cheap and will never use.

ALWAYS refuses to get a taxi cos they charge you before you get in !
    ALWAYS buys bus tickets from the shop and uses them about 500 times a week to save money !!!

will buy rounds but will always make sure that everybody else buys one too weather they like it or not !!!

rather than buying 3 currys she will buy one large one and split it between 3 people.... and will split an ice cream cone too !!! and under no surcimstances is anything ever delivered !!!

always shops in penny's or Dunness cos their the cheapest !!!

NEVER goes on holidays !!! (too expensive)

if something is broken she will insist that it is fine just so it wont have to be fixed.

she has a tv thats about 20 years old and broken but she can still see it and hear it !!! but it has a video player in it and wont work and one of the speakers is broke on the side of it... the color is messed up and the screen size is about 10 inches !!!

everything is always plugged out ... even the fridge and so on unless theres something important in it thats needs to be cold.

same clothes for the last 20 years !!!!!

food shopping for a month is always under €20

the heating never goes on unless your wearing all your jumpers and coats and are still cold and thy heating will only go on for 5 mins !!!

and will go into any shop and try to bargine them down with everything she is buying.

she is always curios if you take any money out of your pocket and says is that for me , or mr money over here, how much you got and i wish i had your money...even to a 5 year old child and thats low !!!

and heres a great one.... her phone is a nokia 3210 !!! it nearly works !!!

she has loads of money !!! FFS

glad i dont live with her. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

I once saw a girl take a tip off a table and buy a drink with it... scabby!

I had a women in our bar pocket all the tips (~€10) that had been left on the counter by the rest of the group that she had been drinking with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

TimAy wrote: »
    I had a women in our bar pocket all the tips (~€10) that had been left on the counter by the rest of the group that she had been drinking with.

That's just f*cking rude. GTFO and buy your own drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Numina wrote: »
    I've never cashed one in my entire life and never intend to, but I find it rude to just snap off the ticket and just and walk away. The least you could do is wait the 2 seconds for the refund bit instead of having him waste his time giving you the refund.

also some charities collect them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Polar Girl wrote: »
    Well Obviously that should have been grammar- but it must not take much to make you laugh!

Don't worry you're doing a fine job at making me laugh, do carry on :)

*I do apologise though. It's just the habit of an English teacher who has turned into a grammar nazi :o

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Berty wrote: »
    My old local in Limerick was soooo tight they used to watch the match on TG4 and listen to it on the radio with the sound on the TV off.

The TV was in Irish and the radio was in English. They would not spend the money for Setanta or Sky.

Miserable gits!! :mad:

In fairness my grandad watches the match on telly muted (he has Setanta) with the radio commentary on... the radio commentator is better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

its seriously the rick kids and all who are the meanest and tightest ****ers every!! like i come form a normal family but we enjoy our selves! friends of mine who are rich ****ers are always the ones that ask for a lend of a tenner etc etc... sickening really isnt it!!!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

TomCo wrote: »
    I put them in a box or just leave them on my desk to pile up.
    Cashed in my stash last year and came back with €20.

Money down the drain if you don't cash them in.

what are ye on about?? im not in the know .. haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Happy 1st birthday to the best thread going on boards! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

but like................whenever people say oh why are they so stingey they're loaded, they forget that they're loaded because they're so freaking stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

A friend of mine is so stingy.

He called to a house party with cans one night and left two behind (most ppl leave drink behind when its time to head to a club i find).

A good 4-5 months later we had another party. Half way through the night I went to the fridge to get a beer only to find it was all gone. When we finally confronted him he said that he took because some had drank the two cans he had left behind at the last party. FFS!! I just thought it was extremly petty and i also remember that he arrived to the house with 4 cans. (We are students)

Also on night there was a leg waxing event for a cancer charity which I was involved with. when the bucket came to him and looked at me with raised eyebrows, he the saw a penny on the ground, picked it up and pop it into a bucket proud as punch!
    Same guy spent €120 on lapdances a week later.

He got lifts home from cork city to home (1 hour trip) from a friend of his every friend and never offered or attempted to give him a penny! One day as the driver was pulling off he noticed the stinge running after the car. He pulled into find that the stinge had left 50c on the passenger seat!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

A friend of mine is so stingy.

He called to a house party with cans one night and left two behind (most ppl leave drink behind when its time to head to a club i find).

A good 4-5 months later we had another party. Half way through the night I went to the fridge to get a beer only to find it was all gone. When we finally confronted him he said that he took because some had drank the two cans he had left behind at the last party. FFS!! I just thought it was extremly petty and i also remember that he arrived to the house with 4 cans. (We are students)

Also on night there was a leg waxing event for a cancer charity which I was involved with. when the bucket came to him and looked at me with raised eyebrows, he the saw a penny on the ground, picked it up and pop it into a bucket proud as punch!
    Same guy spent €120 on lapdances a week later.

He got lifts home from cork city to home (1 hour trip) from a friend of his every friend and never offered or attempted to give him a penny! One day as the driver was pulling off he noticed the stinge running after the car. He pulled into find that the stinge had left 50c on the passenger seat!

Good Lord. I think I'd have exploded with rage, if I were friends with him. In fact I don't think I could be friends with someone like that.

I don't mind people who are 'careful' with money i.e. not throwing money about as if it grew on trees, but one thing I cannot abide is mean-ness. Urrrgh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭icanhearjimi

I know someone who shaves the stamps off the envelopes that havent the date stamped on them, with a stanley blade. Puts pritt stick on them and uses them again. Never saw the likes of it in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

I know someone who shaves the stamps off the envelopes that havent the date stamped on them, with a stanley blade. Puts pritt stick on them and uses them again. Never saw the likes of it in my life.

Guilty as charged.

Didn't think it was stingy - just economical :D

EDIT: I don't actually use a stanley blade, just tear off around the stamp and re stick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

went for a curry with one of my friends in Leeds and he ordered one of the most expensive dishes then started fiddling in his wallet when the bill came..i said you can get me a few drinks in the bar after and paid for most of his..
    when we got to the bar he got me a drink..a half pint of the worst beer type substance (and most likely the cheapest)...so next round came and i said i was getting a proper drink..e.g. a guinness..and he refused to pay for it! so i effectively paid for his food..

the worst thing was that if you ever gave him money to get a drink at the bar (he frequently offered) he'd never give you your change with asking..at least in ireland if you buy someone a drink they normally buy you one back if they're not in financial woes..(by the way this guy was working for a university and was by no means broke)...needless to say I got my own drinks from then on..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

A guy from New Zealand who I worked with in Korea as an English teacher, Now he got his flights paid to and from Korea, a months bonus upon completion, his apartment fully paid and he got a pretty good wage, but he did the following:

Bought his girlfriend what was essentially a bit of a rock on a string when he proposed to her cos rings are so cliché.

Refused to take her out for dinner on valentines day in 2008. She got a voucher for money off and then she had to pay half.

Bought her a crappy backpack for christmas.

When our boss would take us out for dinner we would go to a place that allowed you to order a mains and then eat away at the salad bar as much as you want. He would order ribs, stuff himself on the salad bar all night then take the ribs home to have for dinner the next day.

If a group of us went for dinner and agreed to split the bill by dividing the bill by the number of people, he would order lots of beer because he knew five or six of us wouldn't be drinking and another 5 or 6 would only have one drink so he knew he would be paying very little for his drink.

One time we went out for dinner and told him we would split the bill as usual so he ordered extra starters for himself and loads of drink then the girls got pi$$ed off with him doing this so when the bill came we decided to divide it up by what we each had to eat and drink, the poor lad nearly died cos he had to pay and extra €15 or so.

When his girlfriend wanted to go to Tkyo before flying back home he said he would only go on the trip providing he could get flights and accomodation for the 5 nights for 200,000 won (€120) When she said he wouldn't even get accomodation for that and she really wanted to visit it because she would never be back in the area again, he just replied "ah I don't care, I have been there before when I was 10"

Got angry and jealous with his girlfriend because everyone over there must pay 4.5%of their wages towards a pension and their employer matches your contribution. However americans (which she is) get both contributions back upon leaving korea, however new zealanders don't.

You must also pay for insurance over there which is 1.5% of your wages or something like that, so when he got a pay rise for working saturdays (something we declined to do) he had to pay extra pension and insurance as they were a % of his wages. He complained that he was being ripped off and wasn't informed that he would have to pay more outgoings upon getting more money.

Demanded he got a class off three times per week because 3 other teachers had one therefore we were getting more money per class than he was even though he was getting 320,000won more than us per month for doing the saturday class.

There are many more, I will post them later!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,354 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Christ, I assume you have a Voodoo Doll of this gentleman?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement