Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

A friend of mine, a genuine millionaire (inheritance) buys everything the cheapest possible, e.g. clothes in Primark (Penneys) etc. The bike he used to use, he found on the street. He is too stingy to buy a place to live in (only owns investment property), or even rent for himself although he is in his forties, he always shares with someone still.

I had a boyfriend once who was a property millionaire several times over, this guy used to cry on my shoulder about how poor he is, and how is he ever going to survive if he doesn't recoup all of the £ 1,000.000 deal that he was working on! It wouldn't have bothered me so much, except he never stopped to consider that he was talking to a single mother on very little income... pretty insulting, really. I always paid my own way, and I would have none of his "what's mine is yours" crap, and that was really bothering this guy, big time. Cos that way I didn't "owe" him anything, you see...

Girls, stay well away from guys with heaps of money, that is my honest advice. They are incredibly stingy and ungenerous at best, and have serious control freak issues and God complex at worst (especially if they have made the money themselves, I have to say). They are so focused on the money that they can't help seeing even a close relationship through a perspective of some kind of transaction. Creepy, sleazy, horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

consultech wrote: »
    Bordering on obsession a tad there. Sounds to me like there's more history/agenda there; the girlfriend gets a few nods in that post! ;)

If you're asking did I tap that ass, then the answer is no. If you're asking did I want to tap that ass, then the answer is no.

I was in Korea with my girlfriend, who I am still with, and who I am going back out to korea with next month.

What he continued to do just amazed me, I would think he couldn't get any more miserable with his cash, then bang...right out of nowhere he would do something else.

Being surrounded by him every day meant I got to see all his little stingy things build up but I suppose if I only seen him once a fortnight they would never have annoyed me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

junkyard wrote: »
    I'm assuming his girlfriend is no longer with this tight wad?

You are correct with your assumption.

You wanna know the best part?

She went back to the U.S in march, he stayed in Korea till October then went to vietnam to volunteer teaching (looked good on his c.v apparently) for a month and had arraneged flights to visit her in her home for 4 or 5 months then fly back to New Zealand on a flight he hadn't yet booked.

He ended up cheating on her in vietnam, rang her to tell her that they should break up which they did.

But because he had already spent the money on the flight over to America (or rather our old school did as they pay for your flights) he said it would be a waste of money not to use it, so he still stayed with her for a few weeks and spent thanksgiving with her family :eek::eek: She finally had enough and told him to hop it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I have a mate like this... He's sound but is flat broke and doesn't mind imposing his lack of oney on those of us who do work. I think he feels like people who work SHOULD pay for those who don't. Like they should be grateful for their jobs. I'm self-employed so I have to work hard just to get contracts and jobs - let alone the actual work. Does my head in. Anyone else feel like this?

Example:
    A group of us all went out for a meal. Just the lads. Great meal, good service. It starts to get late an most of us have work in the morning so we decide to stay in the restauraunt rather than going out afterwards. The broke chap suggest whiskeys. He keep ssuggesting it casualy ever second round or so. So I'm thinking 'Bloomen heck. He must have came into some dosh!'.

A few minutes before we're getting ready to leave 'er lads, btw, I only have like 15 euro with me. That cool?'.

Nobody was in the mood for an argument so we just said yeah yeah - all kinda drunk, giddy and having a good time. I end up footing a large chuk of his E50.00 bill and a taxi. Wake up the next morning all fuzzy eyed, pry open my wallet and get extremely pissed off at the guy. He took advantage of our drunken state and knew he could get away with it!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

:rolleyes: Flaming amateur, what you do is get some stuff weigh it and put on the sticker then go back and put more stuff in and go back and weigh it again but take the new price sticker and put it into your pocket, they price people doing this into the salad bar price anyway so really you are not doing anything wrong.

Do they have the self service checkouts back home (like in the UK)? I can imagine you swiping your own groceries and weighing fruit & veg: put all vegetables on the scales and press the the cheapest option per kilo, scan a box of cereal with another couple of items hidden from the censors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Dean0088 wrote: »
    He took advantage of our drunken state and knew he could get away with it!!! :mad:

You see.... I wouldnt regard someone like that as a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

stick-dan wrote: »
    i know people who use public bins for their household waste, thats just stingy.

i've seen something just a bit worse, i was walking home from the train station one night, i walked by a woman emptying a bag of rubbish through the railings of a school :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

Nead21 wrote: »
    i think i rented a house off this guy when i was in second year in UCD (12 in our house). unbelieveably stingy. my friend lived in his house and and his wife used to only do washing at night (apparently it was money saving), and his wife used to clean all of the houses rented to students in the summer...he was a millionaire.

he actually turned off the freezer in our house over the christmas break to save on electricity! :rolleyes:

was this in clonskeagh, ardilea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

nitrogen wrote: »
    Do they have the self service checkouts back home (like in the UK)? I can imagine you swiping your own groceries and weighing fruit & veg: put all vegetables on the scales and press the the cheapest option per kilo, scan a box of cereal with another couple of items hidden from the censors.

Penny pinching is one thing but I hate to tell you that's not stingy it is stealing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Yep thats it alright. Lived there myself for 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

BluesBerry wrote: »
    I knew someone that carried a scissors with her and robbed the cloth hand towels from the machines in public toilets she would cut it and keep pulling it until she had the amount she wanted and used them as dish cloths/dusters/tea towels she did it for years

Stealing towels that have been using in public bathrooms, I'd rather not wash tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

fozzle wrote: »
    About 3 years ago one of my inlaws got her first "career" job. Within weeks her mother had calculated how much she had spent on her daughter's clothes, food and education over the years, and demanded that she be re-imbursed.

Around the same time the daughter and her fiance broke up and the daughter decided to sell their home (the mortgage and loan was all in her name and all from her money). Her mother demanded that she give her half the value because "she provided a house for her all her childhood". Thankfully that time she refused to pay up.

Her mother also went into a clothes shop where her daughter had an account and (stupid shop assistants) racked up 1,000 euro in debt on it and left her to pay it. First she knew of it was weeks later when she popped into the shop looking for something new.

It's worth noting her mother earns more than she does and has no other children to provide for.

:mad:
    what a bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

GavDeMav wrote: »
    Love the thread guys, heres my 2 cents:D

I moved out with a "good" friend of mine into a 2 bed appartment. I payed his

some freind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

my uncle works in an office and there is a woman who is notorious for robbing peoples food and drink from the fridge (so she dosent have to pay for a lunch) and cant be approached since she is high up in the company and people don't want to get on her bad side, my uncle when he just started in the office, noticed that his apple juice was going '' missing '' nearly everyday for the first few weeks. so one day he decided to drink the apple juice before he reached the office then he went to the toilet and filled the empty bottle up with his own piss and then returned it to the fridge. he was delighted to return to the fridge during lunch to find his '' apple juice '' has been stolen...........my uncle isnt stingey he just hated that this person was avoiding paying a euro for a bottle of apple juice...... so stingey people beware you might just end up drinking a bottle of piss haha

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭gmonov1

i went paintballing with a few friends during the summer, 8 of us overall. one friend in particular is notoriously tight with money despite being in a very well paid job. anyhow, the paintballing day is broken down into 8 different games each lasting about 15 minutes with a 5 minute break between each game, so we were able to work out roughly what time we'd be finished at. 3 of the group of 8 had to leave early due to other commitments, and the other 5 were gonna stay on and finish out the day
    so when it comes time for the 3 to leave (me, our thrifty friend and one of the other lads) two of us gave our remaining paintballs, about 20-25 each, to the fellas that were stayin on. the value of 20-25 paintballs is no more than €3. the tightwad said he didnt wanna give his away incase he ever goes paintballing again!!
    he still has them tucked away somewhere at home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

My friend's father used to go to the local swimming pool to "collect his son" from swimming training at 8am and use the facilities to shower and shave, saving on the hot water cost at home. His son stopped swimming eventually but he came every morning after that for two years anyway!

Another (very wealthy) friend of the family will only fill his car up with about €10 of petrol at a time as he thinks the extra weight from more fuel will increase the fuel consumption and cost him more money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

I have two cousins and one of them is so stingy I cant find the words to express the extent of it but this example will give you an indication. We were travelling in Oz for a year and we were all working in Sydney at one stage and doing well. My two cousins and the stingy ones boyfriend went to McD's one day, on a day out. The stingy one had brought home made sandwiches for her and the boyfriend and while in McD's instead of getting their own chips they gave my other cousin 50 cent to supersize her meal so they could have a few chips. I Know.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭gmonov1

i remember an oul lad telling me in the pub one night that they used to get into ireland games for free, this was back in the days when they were played in dalymount.
    apparently him and his friends used to walk through the styles in groups of 2 or 3 and tell the person working it that their dad was behind them and he had their money. once in the ground they'd run and hide in the crowd while some poor sod got stuck to pay not only his ticket but 3 kids tickets too
    not really meanness i suppose but a good story nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LeGioN of PaddY

Another (very wealthy) friend of the family will only fill his car up with about €10 of petrol at a time as he thinks the extra weight from more fuel will increase the fuel consumption and cost him more money.

Well he is correct it would cost extra to run with the extra weight. It's a point the greenies out there are pushing for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LeGioN of PaddY

I was at a dinner with 5 other couples one night where the total bill came to over €500 and watched one of my wifes friends husband collect the money off each of us and then pull out the company credit card and pay the bill pocketing the cash for himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I was at a dinner with 5 other couples one night where the total bill came to over €500 and watched one of my wifes friends husband collect the money off each of us and then pull out the company credit card and pay the bill pocketing the cash for himself.

Are you sure he wasn't going to reimburse the company? I use my corporate credi card to pay for meals with friends sometimes as it's easier. Some people have cash tp give me and some transfer it to my account later and I just go up and pay for it all in one go. I have to pay the company back though when the bill comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

gmonov1 wrote: »
    i remember an oul lad telling me in the pub one night that they used to get into ireland games for free, this was back in the days when they were played in dalymount.
    apparently him and his friends used to walk through the styles in groups of 2 or 3 and tell the person working it that their dad was behind them and he had their money. once in the ground they'd run and hide in the crowd while some poor sod got stuck to pay not only his ticket but 3 kids tickets too
    not really meanness i suppose but a good story nonetheless

Nah, yer man wouldn't have to pay at all! I have little cnuts try that all the time, I just tell them give the ticket before they go in! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

A few christmas ago my mam was given a tooth pick wraped in a sheet of toilet paper for her chirstmas presant by her sisterinlaw.I dont think they like each other:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I know somebody who did this all the time, and he didnt reimburse his company.
    He was laid off at the beginning of december, they chose 5 out of a department of 18 salesmen. Wonder why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Well he is correct it would cost extra to run with the extra weight. It's a point the greenies out there are pushing for years.

Yeah fair enough the extra fuel would increase consumption but only by a tiny amount. The mass of the tank of fuel is only a tiny fraction of the overall car mass that that saving would be negligible. Putting a tenner in every time - sure he'd have to go to the petrol station every couple of days. Defo not worth the hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 scatterpillar

There is soooo much I could write here about my current landlady!

But I'll just give the latest example: On Thursday night, she made herself a hot chocolate in the microwave. There was, quite literally, an inch of it left in the bottom of the mug when she was finished.

She put the mug in the fridge, where it's been sitting since. This evening, she reheated that last inch of hot chocolate in the microwave and drank it. And bitched about how it tasted weird, but still drank it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Yeah fair enough the extra fuel would increase consumption but only by a tiny amount. The mass of the tank of fuel is only a tiny fraction of the overall car mass that that saving would be negligible. Putting a tenner in every time - sure he'd have to go to the petrol station every couple of days. Defo not worth the hassle

Surely the extra stops at the petrol stations would cost more than he would pay for the extra weight! Not to mention if you fill your car up completely, you can plan to stop at the cheaper stations, where if you are constantly filling you might find you have to go to some of the dearer ones sometimes...

I know a guy (student) who used to take home extra packets of salt from the college canteen to use at home and save him buying salt...

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Many moons ago I got 20p off a mate to get a bag of chips. While I was waiting for my chips he told another mate to tell me to follow him back to his house with his 20p worth of chips!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I think petrol makes people a little crazy though... I remember the night of the budget when it was announced the petrol was going to go up 4c a litre, there was a huge queue outside our local! But the most you'd be saving - assuming you had an empty tank that day and about a 50 litre tank (which is bigger than mine) is €2!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

komodosp wrote: »
    I think petrol makes people a little crazy though... I remember the night of the budget when it was announced the petrol was going to go up 4c a litre, there was a huge queue outside our local! But the most you'd be saving - assuming you had an empty tank that day and about a 50 litre tank (which is bigger than mine) is €2!
    You never saw 1979 then - queues down the street and around the corner.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement