Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

This is pretty stingy.........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8481827.stm

McDonald's 'wrong' to fire worker over cheese slice
    A McDonald's outlet in the Netherlands was wrong to sack an employee for giving a colleague a piece of cheese on a hamburger, a court has ruled.
    The waitress was fired last March after she sold a hamburger to a co-worker who then asked for cheese, which she added. The fast-food chain argued this turned the hamburger into a cheeseburger, and so she should have charged more. But Leeuwarden district court ruled a written warning would have been more appropriate.

McDonald's was ordered to pay the former employee more than 4,200 euros ($5,900; £3,660) for the last five months of her contract. The fast-food chain had argued that the waitress - who was employed at a branch in the northern town of Lemmer - had broken staff rules prohibiting free gifts to family, friends or colleagues.
    But the court said in its written judgement: "The dismissal was too severe a measure. It is just a slice of cheese," reports AFP news agency.

The ruling comes days after McDonald's reported an increase in net profits by almost a quarter in the last three months of 2009.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

m@cc@ wrote: »
    This is pretty stingy.........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8481827.stm

That was a expensive piece of chese for Macers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

A "friend" of mine from secondary school still owes me and a bunch of my mates the security deposit for a place we stayed in the weekend of the the Slane concert in '02 or '03.

It was a fair few pound, maybe €100 in all. I found out that night when we arrived that there was 1 more person in our group than there were beds.

The cúnt had done it deliberately so that he could get a free bed, i.e. go to bed early, steal someone else's and claim innocence if he was "disturbed". He also lied about us having to pay a charge for only being there 1 night on a weekend. I know this isn't unheard of, but I asked for the bill at reception the next morning and confirmed my suspicions.

I would have confronted him about it there and then, but knowing we had a lot more travelling to do in each other's company, I left it. The same guy was the only one of our group who had a job at the time as well.
    He also owes another mate the price of a holiday since that year also. He "planned" the holiday and encouraged the others to go, but when it came to paying his bit (after everyone else had committed their deposits), he gave them a sob story about him being broke, so they caved and paid his and some more of a "loan" so he would have money on the actual holiday. I don't think he ever paid them back... He hadn't a year ago anyway.
    Same lad "borrowed" the rent money belonging to one of the girls in a house he was living in (the rent would be left for the landlord in a drawer). The double-checked she had put it there before leaving for the weekend. She rang another guy in the house, in bits about the situation. He said he'd sort it, knowing damn well it was that cnut who took it.

He said that he was just "borrowing" it. It took the threat of being squealed on to the landlord to get him to put it back. If he hadn't been caught before he left, he would have been gone for a couple of weeks, leaving the girls share of the rent missing from the drawer, that was to be collected the following morning.
    Heard from people that lived with him that he'd wait for other people to put money in the ESB meter and have clothes "stockpiled" ready to go in the washing machine.

Would always insist on getting a taxi, but never on his own, as he'd have no-one to scrounge the fare off then.

He was the only person in a house I shared with him that had a TV (it was in his room.) When the tv licence inspector came, he invited her in, said "ya, ya, I don't have a licence", told her he had a telly, then proceeded to give her the name of another lad in the house and gave her a letter with the person's name on it as "proof" it was him.

I was in the kitchen while this was happening but couldn't let it go any further. I marched in, told her that he was telling lies, told him to get his wallet out. He said he didn't know where it was. I told him I could see it. Eventually he owned up and he did pony up before he got a fine, but it probably killed him to do so. I wish he got done for it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I used to work in a bank. A couple of years ago, I had someone who closed all her accounts and moved to another bank because of the government ATM card tax of 2.50 that's charged every January on every account with a card on it. Everybody pays it, even staff, even the boss, even the Taoiseach, it's a tax, not a charge, and her new bank would be applying it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

When having a meal at someone's place a couple of years ago, the dressed side salad was awful, almost vomit enducing.

Reason being it turned out that the oil used in the dressing was cheapo, couple of cent, wouldn't even use it to fry, vegetable oil. Seemingly olive oil was 'an awful price'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Fighting_Irish

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Went to a shop yesterday, sales assistant says 1.59.
    Had a load of change so I counted fairly swiftly to 1.58 and then realised had no 1 cent! I joked thinking she'd let me off with 1 cent.

She *ahemed* at me to hurry up. So I put all the change back into wallet and eventually found 10 cent to bring it to 1.60. I stood waiting for my 1 cent. She started back at me. I really didnt know what to say "Excuse me can I have my 1 cent please"? after a few seconds of debating in my head I just left it. Wagon.

Another occasion, a girl with down syndrome was ahead of me in a shop and very politely asked for e10 credit. She very innocently said to the sales assistant "my mam told me to ask you for e10 credit (she had it all written down)" so she produces the tenner. To which the sales assistant says "its e10.20" (or what ever the surcharge is on e10 credit". The poor girl obviously didnt understand and said the same thing again "my mam told me to ask you for e10 credit" and the crater looked a bit panicked. Sales assistant again says same thing to her. The girl starts to panic, so I walk up and say "Ill pay it for you dont worry crater". I ate the sales assistant after she left.

Sale assistants should pay for anything a person with down syndrome wants :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Sale assistants should pay for anything a person with down syndrome wants :pac:

No, but on extremely rare occasions where people with down syndrome cant understand 20 feckin cent, they should:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Victor wrote: »
    You never saw 1979 then - queues down the street and around the corner.

I was a talking to Garda last week who is a client.

He was off to investigate drivers at a local petrol station that drive off without paying. Apparently it is rampent at the moment. He said that most modern petrol stations have very sophisticated number plate detection systems and they will be caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

One of the lads in my work place always likes to put a 1 cent coin into the envelope/card for someone who is leaving or getting married. He thinks it's great fun.

Same guy takes salt, pepper, ketchup sachets from the local shop and uses them at home.

Also, he won't have a **** at home or in work and goes across the road to the 4 star hotel for a dump in the morning first thing because it has deodorant and soap.

He's loaded by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

People are always saying that stingy people are loaded! How do you think they get that way??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

He was off to investigate drivers at a local petrol station that drive off without paying. Apparently it is rampent at the moment. He said that most modern petrol stations have very sophisticated number plate detection systems and they will be caught.

Yup...

A camera pointing in vaguely the right direction..

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

A great response to stinginess from my sister's boss when she used to work in a restaurant. A group of 9 kids came in just to sit down and chat on a busy shopping day - taking up the space of a table of nine people - but to avoid being asked to move on if they weren't customers, one of them ordered a glass of orange juice.

The boss placed in the centre of the large table, one glass of orange juice with 9 straws!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I used to share a house with a guy who used to reuse teabags.

Not the stingiest thing in the world but horrible when he forgets about his bowl of used bags and they become a bowl of green mould in the press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭window_licker

we used to have a neighbour who'd knock on the door asking if she could use the toilet because hers was broken. Of course the first few times my dad was like yeah cool, it was when we were all in bed one night and we heard the toilet flsuhing next door we asked questions. She then told us that she was being charged for her water, and didnt want to waste it flushing the toilet when she didnt have to? We also noticed alot of our toiletries being stolen in that time aswell.

Another one i heard was my cousin leaving his jacket in his friends house. He got it a few days later but the 2.50 he had zipped in his pocket was gone :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

He said that most modern petrol stations have very sophisticated number plate detection systems and they will be caught.

You mean CCTV and a person to read the number plate, write it down and forward it onto the Gardai? Very sophisticated indeed :D

JohnCleary wrote: »
    You mean CCTV and a person to read the number plate, write it down and forward it onto the Gardai? Very sophisticated indeed :D

Hey smartass, I was just writing what he said to me and TBH it is also my local filling station and it was only built last year so it plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

not a new thing at all, Security system in the petrol station I worked in 12 years ago could do this also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Possibly the worst stingy act ever, on so many levels...

A friend of mine won't use condoms with his girlfriend... cos they cost too much. Fúcking eejit... Ever thought how much a kid costs???

Idiot....

DazMarz wrote: »

A friend of mine won't use condoms with his girlfriend... cos they cost too much. Fúcking eejit... Ever thought how much a kid costs???

Idiot....

Crisp packets are cheaper..

Condoms are fcking expensive...you get them free in the UK from famile planning clinics and GPs

• Advertisement

Condoms are fcking expensive...you get them free in the UK from famile planning clinics and GPs

That's the UK's evil communist health service for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Clingfilm and an elastic band is much better and you can re-use the elastic

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

DazMarz wrote: »

Idiot....

I doubt thats the only reason he doesn't use them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

I got a present of diesel perfume from an ex who was still only a semi-ex at the time.
    Gave the perfume to a friend for her birthday.
    i'm no longer friends with her but the present had nothing to do with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

Huggles wrote: »
    One of my mates is pretty bad. When we all go for a meal together she will take a calculator out and calculate her portion of the meal down to the last cent.

I have to say Ive been forced to do that. Went out with a group one night, money was tight for me and a mate, we was on water for the night and just had a mains, the rest all had a starter, desert and dink, then they proceeeded to evenly split the bill and we were called hungry cnuts because we only wanted to pay for our mains and not help pay for their starters deserts and drink.

Now when out in a group, I say at the start we`l all pay our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

What's the big deal with having to break a note? OK it's a little cumbersome to carry around €9.58 but it's no reason to turn into a stingy backstard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭TheGod

komodosp wrote: »
    What's the big deal with having to break a note? OK it's a little cumbersome to carry around €9.58 but it's no reason to turn into a stingy backstard...

Someone asking you for 2cent so they dont have to break a 10euro note is stingy?

I think it is YOU who is stingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I was in a car park in Bray this morning. As I was walking over to the pay and display machine a woman in her 40s got there just ahead of me so I waited, in the rain, behind her. After about 20 seconds or so of her standing just looking at the machine I was getting bit impatient so I asked her was the machine out of order. "No" she says "I'm waiting for the minute to change from 10.03 to 10.04".

All I could do was burst out laughing at her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

uch wrote: »
    Clingfilm and an elastic band is much better and you can re-use the elastic

I don't understand. Why would you not just wash out the cling film?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I was out for a meal, 4 from my office, 2 from another office. Anyway, unknown chap 1 & 2 order the same starter & main.

when the starters turned up, before he put a knife in he said 'oh I didnt realise this was fish, I'm allergic to fish, can I swap with you', I obliged.

Then the mains turned up, he did the same thing, said he was allergic to nuts, swapped for someone elses steak.

Anyway, at this point he goes to the loo where his colleague then tells us he always does this, thats why he ordered the same meal. He gets really moody if he has nobody else to swap with. We thought it odd but we were cut short as he came back from the loo.

Anyway, when the bill came he tried to pay for what he ordered, not for what he ate. Was cut short by one of our side who had already twigged what was going on and had calcualted the bill based on what he ate ready for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement