Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Dubchild wrote: »
    A bottle of wine, an apple pie which they enjoyed too and a brunch i got one day and rolos don't forgot them wooohooo oh they bought the food stuff for a currry one night and cooked that, it was lovely
    ... They said they had a lovely time and thanked me loads

Wtf is wrong with you? I wouldn't want to stay with you either if that's your attitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

I spent 18 months backpacking and saw backpackers do lots of really stingy things, in the name of 'haggling'.

The worst was probably the backpackers in India that would hagggle the rickshaw guys down from say 15 rupees to 10 rupees, i.e. 30p down to 20p for a fare that might involve an 8 stone Indian guy in his fifties cycling two or three tourists, or even worse if it was a foot rickshaw having to run and push, for a couple of kilometres.

The same tourists would have no problem in asking the same rickshaw driver to bring them to a McDonalds where they might spend 200 rupees on a Big Mac meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

garv123 wrote: »
    Woman one - vodka & bottle of coke.
    Woman two - vodka & bottle of coke

( women where i work are picky, they dont share:rolleyes:)

half a bottle each left so when the next woman gets the drinks in she doesnt need to get coke.

Thats basics in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    I hate mean people.

Oh god I hate mean people. We had 2 relatives over from England for 5 days, not from my side or i'd clobber them hehe. Stayed in our comfy bed. I cooked brekky dins and waited on them like royals, Tea tea bikkies and more tea .-. fool i was and never again will they stay. We doing up the spare room i'll say every time so sorry piss off back to the B & B. They didnt treat us to a lowsy take away or meal out and never bought and small thing in appreciation before they left. Sure A bottle of wine, an apple pie which they enjoyed too and a brunch i got one day and rolos don't forgot them wooohooo oh they bought the food stuff for a currry one night and cooked that, it was lovely but what mean chancers there is in this world.
    Who ever said the more money they have the meaner they are, that's 100% true, this lot proved that and have plenty of money but you see them ALWAYS skimping and struggling to part with a few pounds. It must give them an anxiety attack each time. They booked the cheapest flight over and had to get up at 3 in the morning to save a few pounds more oh god i'd rather pay extra and get a good sleep before i travel. The bridge is burnt anyway. They saved 300 on b n b and another 100 on food you think they would be more kinder and show it better, They said they had a lovely time and thanked me loads but usless that is, lucky i got that i suppose. It's not in some peoples nature that's all. Before theY stayed and they were alot kinder took us for a chinese and bought me a gift and i din't look after them half as well :confused: A cheap holiday they got but the last!!

What exactly were you expecting from them? My pigeon English isn't what it was but from what I can see they got you a bottle of wine, an apple pie, brunch, rolos, and bought and cooked a curry. In 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

As posted before I work part time in a bar in a restaurant, can't believe i forgot to mention this guy.

He's a local wealthy business man, was done for €2,800,000 in tax evasion a few years ago and comes in weekly. Every single week he asks what the house wine is (its nearly always the same) and then without fail asks what price it is (which is always the same). This has been going on for years and years and years, as long as I can remember.

One night one of the other lads dropped a drink over to him, he handed the waiter cash and he returned with his change. As the waiter was walking away he says "hold on young man, hold on, stand your ground". He starts routing through the change he had just been handed back and pulls out a 20c coin and gives it to the waiter, "there you go young man".

Incredible! I fell around laughing for 5 minutes after seeing what he handed him! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lloyderz

People not paying their share for a taxi when drunk really pisses me off!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

That works both ways, i've seen many a drunkard stuff a twenty into a taxi mans hand when the fare is a tenner or less and off he goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Some great tips here on how to beat the recession! :D

/takes notes/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Lloyderz wrote: »
    People not paying their share for a taxi when drunk really pisses me off!

what fekin taxhi la....

ta for the lift....chalks away ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭gerarda

A guy that my bro used to go drinking with thought he was a smart ass when they were out (4 altogether) and all drinking gin and tonics. It came to his turn to order the round so he ordered 4 tonics. The bar man copped this and said to him ' no problem, sure I will drop them down to you'. When he arrived wit the drinks at the table, the barman said: 'here ya go lads - 4 Tonics!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

gerarda wrote: »
    A guy that my bro used to go drinking with thought he was a smart ass when they were out (4 altogether) and all drinking gin and tonics. It came to his turn to order the round so he ordered 4 tonics. The bar man copped this and said to him ' no problem, sure I will drop them down to you'. When he arrived wit the drinks at the table, the barman said: 'here ya go lads - 4 Tonics!.

I don't get it. Surely the others just told him to get the gin then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Oh god I hate mean people. We had 2 relatives over from England for 5 days, not from my side or i'd clobber them hehe. Stayed in our comfy bed. I cooked brekky dins and waited on them like royals, Tea tea bikkies and more tea .-. fool i was and never again will they stay. We doing up the spare room i'll say every time so sorry piss off back to the B & B. They didnt treat us to a lowsy take away or meal out and never bought and small thing in appreciation before they left. Sure A bottle of wine, an apple pie which they enjoyed too and a brunch i got one day and rolos don't forgot them wooohooo oh they bought the food stuff for a currry one night and cooked that, it was lovely but what mean chancers there is in this world.
    Who ever said the more money they have the meaner they are, that's 100% true, this lot proved that and have plenty of money but you see them ALWAYS skimping and struggling to part with a few pounds. It must give them an anxiety attack each time. They booked the cheapest flight over and had to get up at 3 in the morning to save a few pounds more oh god i'd rather pay extra and get a good sleep before i travel. The bridge is burnt anyway. They saved 300 on b n b and another 100 on food you think they would be more kinder and show it better, They said they had a lovely time and thanked me loads but usless that is, lucky i got that i suppose. It's not in some peoples nature that's all. Before theY stayed and they were alot kinder took us for a chinese and bought me a gift and i din't look after them half as well :confused: A cheap holiday they got but the last!!

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/11/10/128708235011636500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    I hate mean people.

So they stayed with you,
    bought you some small gifts,
    cooked you a meal,
    bought you a meal and a gift on a separate occasion
    and were very thankful

and you're still annoyed because you didn't get more from them. :confused:

Hate to break this to you Dubchild, but you're the tight one here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Thats basics in fairness.

i know i was explaining it to the op who was saying something about a quater bottle been left:confused::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Not so much stingy as teaching his son a lesson..... Legendary all the same.
    A mate of mine was on the dole not long after we left school, pretty much got into a rutt. Drinking his dole at the weekends and slinging off his Ma through the week. All while not bothering even looking for a job. Just lay in the bed or sofa playing console games all week while his Ma worked from 6am in a bakery and his auld lad from early on the buildings.
    Eventually the auld lad gets sick of the young lad vegetating at home while they were bursting their balls without even as much as a courtesy off of a few bob outa the mates dole.
    One afternoon in the freezing winter he gets up and the house is Baltic and the elec is off. Can't figure out why the elec is off in his house but not in any of the neighbours. He walks up to his Ma's work at the bakery to sponge some lunch and ask her if she knows what's up with the electric.
    She tells him to ring his auld lad, which he does, only to be told that he had taken the fuse out of the metre box...... And would continue to do so every day he and the wife were working.
    The deal was he had to give his parents 5 quid (sterling) for every day he wanted the fuse left in while they were at work. Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Nice one-over ten posts without anyone arguing about bloody power steering!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Bah! You ruined the streak!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

ccccccoooommmmboooooo breaker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I often hear of stingy people who offer to do favours for people (lets say offering relatives from a nearby country a place to stay when they visit) but they're not actually offering said favours out of the goodness of their hearts, but they do it solely because they expect something in return.

I hate people like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Donny5 wrote: »
    That spider-swallowing-in-your sleep rumour is bollocks.
    So is that page, the referenced 1993 article doesn't exist, nor does its author, nor does the magazine it was published in... haha
    Oh god I hate mean people... long anecdote.. The bridge is burnt anyway... conclusion of long anecdote... A cheap holiday they got but the last!!
    Too bad you burnt your bridges, if they're someway mannerly (and they appear to be) you were due a 5day holiday in the UK for the price of a bottle of wine, pie, rolos, and curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

jordainius wrote: »
    I often hear of stingy people who offer to do favours for people (lets say offering relatives from a nearby country a place to stay when they visit) but they're not actually offering said favours out of the goodness of their hearts, but they do it solely because they expect something in return.

I hate people like that.

Took me a while to cop that one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭lalababa

A housemates friend has some legendary stories of stinginess about him, the one that crops up most is that he takes out the battery of his alarm clock every day and puts it back at night.Sad but true.
    Another fella I know was in aldi and was looking for a lemonade 1L or 2L costing feck all but decided to "try it " first before buying ,followed by a few slugs and a decision not to purchase ,to my horror!
    The old stinginess can creep up on people to a point where it becomes a madness. Also the savings they build up rarely get spent on anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I was in a charity shop today and this woman was haggling over the prices of everything, and I wouldn't mind but the things were really cheap. She managed to get a lovely jacket from the "sale" rail down from €8 to €3 and then she was haggling over some books which were at a give away price as it was. The problem was that the lady selling was afraid of her and just said OK. I don't believe for one milli second she was that poor = just tight and I doubt she ever donated a bleedin thing either. Bug bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

You should take a look at the stingy people thread on after hours!

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055454434

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You'd have to be a right bastard to haggle in a charity shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Chinasea wrote: »
    I was in a charity shop today and this woman was haggling over the prices of everything, and I wouldn't mind but the things were really cheap. She managed to get a lovely jacket from the "sale" rail down from €8 to €3 and then she was haggling over some books which were at a give away price as it was. The problem was that the lady selling was afraid of her and just said OK. I don't believe for one milli second she was that poor = just tight and I doubt she ever donated a bleedin thing either. Bug bear.

If we were all like that maybe things would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

The teller is to blame more than anyone else for giving them away that cheap.

Maybe the woman was poor herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

You don't ask, you don't get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I volunteer in a Charity Shop..

Some customers always try to haggle..
    Even though everything is clearly marked with a price..

Lots of those free (with newspapers) CD's or DVDs are often sold at 20c each or 3 or 4 for €1

I've had my head chewed off by a male customer..

Man: "How much is the Tom Jones CD?"

Me: "20c"

Man: "They're supposed to be f**king free!"

Me: :eek:

Me: "Well, this is a Charity Shop"

Man: " FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF etc"

Me: :eek: :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Me would have liked to say:

"Well, you should have bought the paper you £$$%^%^^&*I(*&(*)£&"("

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement