Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

MRG!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

foxinsox wrote: »
    I volunteer in a Charity Shop..

Some customers always try to haggle..
    Even though everything is clearly marked with a price..

Lots of those free (with newspapers) CD's or DVDs are often sold at 20c each or 3 or 4 for €1

I've had my head chewed off by a male customer..

Man: "How much is the Tom Jones CD?"

Me: "20c"

Man: "They're supposed to be f**king free!"

Me: :eek:

Me: "Well, this is a Charity Shop"

Man: " FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF etc"

Me: :eek: :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Me would have liked to say:

"Well, you should have bought the paper you £$$%^%^^&*I(*&(*)£&"("

You should have:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

kid u not this ned knocked at my front door last week with a toddler "stoory willya help uz ouh can you spare some cash.." shameless grifter i was so embarrassed for him :o told him if he can't afford to have a child then don't n swiftly shut the door. seems the only form of entertainment these skanks can afford is to f*ck just they can't afford the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Star Bingo wrote: »
    kid u not this ned knocked at my front door last week with a toddler "stoory willya help uz ouh can you spare some cash.." shameless grifter i was so embarrassed for him :o told him if he can't afford to have a child then don't n swiftly shut the door. seems the only form of entertainment these skanks can afford is to f*ck just they can't afford the consequences.

On a thread called "Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do" you complain about a man with a child begging for spare change. :confused:

Whether begging is right or wrong or good or bad is matter for the politics/humanities forum, but it's certainly not stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Star Bingo wrote: »

Wow, that was pretty stingy of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Well he saved a bucket of water anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

a man buying horticultural grit for a kids sandpit because it was 40c cheaper then the playsand.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Was in a tight corridor a few years ago in a long single file line of students on our way to class.A student up ahead suddenly fell to the floor and started have seizures(sp).I was horrified by how many ppl literally walked over him and continued on their way to class despite a guy in clear need of help.I stopped to help and another couple of friends helped too.I couldnt believe how bad minded ppl were to walk over someone on the floor:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Aiel wrote: »
    Was in a tight corridor a few years ago in a long single file line of students on our way to class.A student up ahead suddenly fell to the floor and started have seizures(sp).I was horrified by how many ppl literally walked over him and continued on their way to class despite a guy in clear need of help.I stopped to help and another couple of friends helped too.I couldnt believe how bad minded ppl were to walk over someone on the floor:mad:.

Eh, that's not stingy. Certaintly uncaring and selfish, and those people certainly should have a long hard look at themselves and their attitudes toward someone in need of immediate medical attention. But it doesn't fit the theme if the thread.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A guy was in a supermarket when he noticed an old lady following him around.

Whenever he stopped, she stopped, and she also kept staring at him.

She finally overtook him just before the checkout where she turned to him and said:

"I hope I haven’t made you feel uncomfortable - it’s just that you look so much like my late son."

"Oh, that’s ok," he said.

"I know it’s silly," she continued, "but if you called out ’Goodbye, Mother’ as I leave, it would make me ever so happy."

The old lady proceeded through the checkout and as she left the supermarket, the man called out

"Goodbye Mother." The old lady waved back, and kindly smiled.

Pleased he had brought a bit of sunshine to someone’s day the man went to pay for his groceries.

"That’ll be 105 dollars 35," said the clerk.

"How come?" inquired the man. "I’ve only bought a few things!"

"Yeah, but your mother said you’d pay for her..."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

My local Tescos reduces items at 7 and 9 on a Wednesday. I was bag packing for charity and was told one woman arrived at 7 every week and picks the things she wants and then waits 2 hours in the store to get them reduced again!
    Dressed to the nines and everything but tight as a duck's ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

smk89 wrote: »
    My local Tescos reduces items at 7 and 9 on a Wednesday. I was bag packing for charity and was told one woman arrived at 7 every week and picks the things she wants and then waits 2 hours in the store to get them reduced again!
    Or just broke and trying to hang on to her dignity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

TDs voted themselves another increase (obviously performance related).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Anybody bringing their kids to the graveyard to show them where Santa is buried and explain that he won't be coming this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Why not just come in at 9?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

Why not just come in at 9?

PFFFT Noob, all the good stuff from 7pm would be gone then!

Seriously though, hanging around for 2hrs is a bit much. By all means, buy the reduced stuff ( i know i do) but waiting that long is mad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

zerks wrote: »
    Anybody bringing their kids to the graveyard to show them where Santa is buried and explain that he won't be coming this year?
    Looks like you'll be heading to Thomastown then.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/santa-lsquoburied-in-irelandrsquo-1976141.html
    The remains of St Nicholas of Myra, the philanthropist who lived in the 4th century and was the bishop of Lycia, are thought to have been moved to Jerpoint Abbey some 800 years ago.

During his life, St Nicholas left anonymous gifts for the poor and his well-known generosity propelled him to sainthood shortly after his death in 346, inspiring the legend of the jolly man in the red suit.

Mr Lynch claims a French family called the de Frainets moved the saint’s remains from Myra to Italy in 1169. A relative called Nicholas de Frainet then took the remains to Ireland when his family relocated there and built a dedicated Cistercian abbey to the saint at Jerpoint.

“St Nicholas Church is still standing and there is a slab on the ground which marks St Nicholas's grave,” he said.

Few locals know of the much-loved figure’s link with Kilkenny.

“It is an amazing story and yet very few people in Ireland know about St Nicholas's connection with this country,” he said. “Every year now we get visitors to the site, but still not that many.”

2 hours, would she save twice the minimum wage doing that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Give it a fortnight and she'd save 3 times it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

Definitely, with enough stuff. It's ridiculous how much the reduce stuff, up to 90% just before closing.

I used to stop in Tesco at around 7 or 8 on the way home from the gym, and I would always check out the reduced fridge. 4/5 times I went, the same 3 Eastern European guys would be waiting there with 2 baskets each of stickered items. The final reductions weren't made until half 9 at least so they'd be there for a good 1.5-2 hours.

What annoyed me most was that no one else could buy these things at half price, because they wanted EVERYTHING in the fridge at 90% off.

But back to your question: Yes, it could definitely be worth it on a good day. I once got about 5kg of chicken fillets for ~€2 and lobbed them in the freezer when I got home. Waiting around in tesco trying to look busy for two hours though; no amount of chicken fillets is be worth that imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

my aunt who shall remain nameless was having her attic converted to house a bedroom and an ensuite toilet/shower. there was a skip down the road full from a house being renovated, sitting in this skip was a second hand toilet. she went and removed the toilet to have it insalled in her attic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭stejkenny

joe stodge wrote: »
    my aunt who shall remain nameless was having her attic converted to house a bedroom and an ensuite toilet/shower. there was a skip down the road full from a house being renovated, sitting in this skip was a second hand toilet. she went and removed the toilet to have it insalled in her attic.

that doesnt seem stingy at all; if the jacks works and no one wants it, whats the big problem; fair play to her; recycling is alive and well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 keyring34

I knew a old guy who would not turn on the heating in he's house. So he would turn the tv around and sit right up against the back of it for the tiny bit of heat it would throw out and he would watch the tv through a mirrior. This is a guy who was making £800 a week a the time,cracked

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

keyring34 wrote: »
    I knew a old guy who would not turn on the heating in he's house. So he would turn the tv around and sit right up against the back of it for the tiny bit of heat it would throw out and he would watch the tv through a mirrior. This is a guy who was making £800 a week a the time,cracked

which was cracked, him or the mirror?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Aldito wrote: »
    But back to your question: Yes, it could definitely be worth it on a good day. I once got about 5kg of chicken fillets for ~€2 and lobbed them in the freezer when I got home. Waiting around in tesco trying to look busy for two hours though; no amount of chicken fillets is be worth that imo.
    What would you do with 5kg of out of date chicken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

stejkenny wrote: »
    that doesnt seem stingy at all; if the jacks works and no one wants it, whats the big problem; fair play to her; recycling is alive and well

I agree. A neighbour of my aunt (in a fairly well off part of Dublin) was getting their house renovated. They put a perfectly ok suite of furniture into the skip. Some of the other neighbours had a look at the suite, in passing. So the owner came out of the house and cut the suite of furniture with a knife. That, to me, was disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I went out with an air Canada trolley dolly a good few years ago, they were put up in the burlo for the 3 nights they would be here between flights and got 150 quid a day to cover their general expenses including meals.

On arrival one of the male cabin crew used to go to the shops and buy a slice pan, a block of cheese and some kind of sandwich bag to make toasted sandwiches using the trouser press !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Victor wrote: »

Make 8kg of a tasty chicken curry? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Victor wrote: »

Freeze it, like he said? It's only out of date when it's in the fridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Discussed this very topic on 2fm yesterday morning. Some of the money saving tips were as follows:

- Ask the butcher for a bag of bones for the dog. There's usually enough meat for a sandwich.

- When filling up on petrol/diesel, deliberately go over the euro mark by about 3-4 cent. The retailer usually never look for the 3/4 cent if you are paying by cash and if they do, kick up a fuss. Also, never pay for other items when paying for petrol/diesel as the 3/4 cents will be added onto the bill.

- When taking the petrol pump out of the car, lift up the hose and pull out the nozzle quickly. Usually, there's a bit of fuel still left in the hose which hasn't registered on the clock. (One fella claimed he was able to fill up his Mini one night simply by emptying out what was left in all the hoses in a forecourt. :rolleyes:)

- Only shave using cold water. Hot water makes razor blades go blunt a lot quicker.

- Instead of applying shower gel/soap by hand, pour a small amount of shower gel onto a sponge and wash yourself using the sponge. Shower gel goes a lot further when using a sponge.

- Have a 'military shower'. This involves turning the shower on to wet yourself. Then turn the shower off and lather up (preferably using a sponge, see above). Finally, turn on the shower again to rinse off. Saves on water. To be extra stingy, use cold water!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement