Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Joe10000 wrote: »
    On arrival one of the male cabin crew used to go to the shops and buy a slice pan, a block of cheese and some kind of sandwich bag to make toasted sandwiches using the trouser press !
    Genius

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Dubchild wrote: »
    IvaBigWun wrote: »
    I hate mean people.

Oh god I hate mean people. We had 2 relatives over from England for 5 days, not from my side or i'd clobber them hehe. Stayed in our comfy bed. I cooked brekky dins and waited on them like royals, Tea tea bikkies and more tea .-. fool i was and never again will they stay. We doing up the spare room i'll say every time so sorry piss off back to the B & B. They didnt treat us to a lowsy take away or meal out and never bought and small thing in appreciation before they left. Sure A bottle of wine, an apple pie which they enjoyed too and a brunch i got one day and rolos don't forgot them wooohooo oh they bought the food stuff for a currry one night and cooked that, it was lovely but what mean chancers there is in this world.
    Who ever said the more money they have the meaner they are, that's 100% true, this lot proved that and have plenty of money but you see them ALWAYS skimping and struggling to part with a few pounds. It must give them an anxiety attack each time. They booked the cheapest flight over and had to get up at 3 in the morning to save a few pounds more oh god i'd rather pay extra and get a good sleep before i travel. The bridge is burnt anyway. They saved 300 on b n b and another 100 on food you think they would be more kinder and show it better, They said they had a lovely time and thanked me loads but usless that is, lucky i got that i suppose. It's not in some peoples nature that's all. Before theY stayed and they were alot kinder took us for a chinese and bought me a gift and i din't look after them half as well :confused: A cheap holiday they got but the last!!

You seem to be missing the point of this thread. It's not an opportunity for you to point out how stingy you are!:mad:

Friend of mine had a PS3 game, and scratched the disc. Went to Xtra vision, rented the same game for a few euro and returned the box with his scratched disc in it and the Xtra vision disc remained in his home.

That's not stingy, that's brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Victor wrote: »
    What would you do with 5kg of out of date chicken?
    Make tasty chicken dishes!
    Frozen = ok

- Have a 'military shower'. This involves turning the shower on to wet yourself. Then turn the shower off and lather up (preferably using a sponge, see above). Finally, turn on the shower again to rinse off. Saves on water. To be extra stingy, use cold water!

Does everyone not do this? :confused:

I don't see what's "stingy" about water conservation (that we don't pay for), you really ought to. Same for brushing teeth. Plus it just gets in the way when you are trying to lather up!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I agree. A neighbour of my aunt (in a fairly well off part of Dublin) was getting their house renovated. They put a perfectly ok suite of furniture into the skip. Some of the other neighbours had a look at the suite, in passing. So the owner came out of the house and cut the suite of furniture with a knife. That, to me, was disgraceful.

Could they not have given it to a charity shop or something? Ok, having had work done on your house and having neighbours look into your skip is annoying (this I know from experience) but ffs if you don't want something and are throwing it out does it really matter who gets it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Could they not have given it to a charity shop or something? Ok, having had work done on your house and having neighbours look into your skip is annoying (this I know from experience) but ffs if you don't want something and are throwing it out does it really matter who gets it?

That's what I thought too. Someone could have made good use out of it. They were pretty obnoxious in general though so it wasn't a huge surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

tightest guy i ever came across was a last year on a ski holiday, about 10 of us went away, this fella who was a friend of a friend came along, seemed decent guy unitl first night when we sat down to dinner, he announced 'i'm on a budget so i'm just going to have soup', fair enough, except he literally finished his soup and emptied off what was left on everyone else's plates plus bread from table,

the bill comes out and he pays his 2.50 for the soup.

next morning i meet him coming out of breakfast room with a bag on his back which he later admits gleefully that he'd taken enough for his lunch and dinner, he was afterall on a budget. this carried on for a few days with him sitting at our table in a restaurant nightly milking the cheapest beer on the menu while watching us eat, ready to pounch on all unfinished meals.

one night he finally announces he was treating himself to dinner, so he ordered the 3 most expensive dishes on the menu and a rake of pints, when the bill comes out he quickly takes it, divides the total bill in 10 and tells us how much we all owe, even though he probably accounted for 25% of the bill.

by the end of the week everyone was making sure they were finishing off every bit of their grub to make sure he wouldnt get any but even with that he'd be asking for a taste of your meal.

only later found out he was minted and owned a number of houses in the town he was from which he'd inherited and had rented out, plus he went skiing at least twice a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

There really should be a dislike button specifically for this thread, so many of these stories make me angry!!!

mssin80 wrote: »
    I work in a beauty salon,the wages are disgraceful but we make it up with the tips we get during the week.some people are more generous then others but one of the girls recently received a tip of...a really old english penny that looked like it had been up someones arse for a month,the metal back off a watch and a button :mad:

me thinks shes getting her eyebrow waxed off next time:D

Next time that customer comes in, you should greet her with a huge smile, thank her for the old english penny and tell her that a coin collector paid you 200 Euro for it as it was very old and rare. Then watch the stingy old cnuts reaction:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I love this thread....

I was discussing it with a couple of friends earlier and one of them told me of her Dad. Apparently famous in this town for his meanness before he died. One of the older lads from my work used to work with him in a factory and confirmed it and added to it.
    Amongst the stories on him were
    He brought a single supermarket brand yogurt to work as his lunch.
    Only let the wife cook a hot dinner every second night.
    Never let her put the heating on.
    No birthday presents for any of the kids (4 of them)

But the 2 that really stood out were

One Christmas he "bought" the kids bikes for Christmas but told them if there was one single argument or fight between them over Xmas then Santa would take them back again.
    Cue the mean ****er actually returning all the bikes in the first week of janurary...... And this is 100% confirmed by a lad that worked in the toy shop (the owner of which is apparently also legendary for his tightness) it turns out the da had agreed with the shop owner BEFORE Christmas that he was infact RENTING them for a nominal amount of money.

Second was only discovered when he died. Apparently an old aunt died on the west coast about 15 years previous and left him and his brother the full worth of a farm. Couple of hundred thousand punt at the time each.
    The mean ****er didn't even tell his wife and kids that he hoarded it in the bank. He told the wife that his brother had been given it all when she asked about the brother and his family all starting to live the good life. (ie new house, car and holidays and the kids being spoiled.)

He's dead a good 6 or 7 years now and they still resent him. The daughter is a lovely girl. Very generous and would never see you stuck for a favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 joanofarse

Frogdog wrote: »
    Friends of mine lived with this stingy guy in on-campus apartments in college. For each block of apartments there was a communal room full of washing machines and tumble dryers. Each machine cost €2 to operate and washing powder was free. Stingy guy used to collect the washing powder and wash his clothes in the bath-tub in his apartment.

Another time, same stingy guy was in the kitchen/living area with me and my friend who lived with him. My friend was out of bread and wanted toast. My friend asked stingy guy could be take 1 slice of bread as stingy guy had a full sliced pan in the bread bin. Stingy guy said of course, no problem. More than 2 weeks later my friend and I had returned from the shops and went into the kitchen/living area. Stingy guy was watching television but was looking at us from the corner of his eye. He saw my friend had bought a sliced pan and asked him could he get back that slice of bread that my friend had "borrowed" (stingy guy's words). My friend stood in shock as stingy guy got up off the couch, opened the sliced pan, took out a slice and put it into his sliced pan in the bread bin.

Same stingy guy, who was in my course, decided to meet us for a couple of pints after we had all finished our last exam of 2nd year and before heading our separate ways for the Summer holidays. About 10 of us were drinking out the back of a pub in the beer garden, which was doing a special of €3 a pint. He was the last to arrive and saw us all drinking the €3 pints. He asked how much were the pints (yet knew full well himself). We told him and he said he'd be back in a while and took his bag with him. He came back 15 minutes later with a full bag and an empty pint glass. He sat down beside us, opened the bag, and produced a six pack of Dutch Gold which he bought in the nearest off-license for €7.

Cork people. :rolleyes:

Maynooth......????Roost?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

But the 2 that really stood out were

One Christmas he "bought" the kids bikes for Christmas but told them if there was one single argument or fight between them over Xmas then Santa would take them back again.
    Cue the mean ****er actually returning all the bikes in the first week of janurary...... And this is 100% confirmed by a lad that worked in the toy shop (the owner of which is apparently also legendary for his tightness) it turns out the da had agreed with the shop owner BEFORE Christmas that he was infact RENTING them for a nominal amount of money.

I think we have a winner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

On arrival one of the male cabin crew used to go to the shops and buy a slice pan, a block of cheese and some kind of sandwich bag to make toasted sandwiches using the trouser press !

Muwahahahahahahahaaaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

I went out with an air Canada trolley dolly a good few years ago, they were put up in the burlo for the 3 nights they would be here between flights and got 150 quid a day to cover their general expenses including meals.

He's like a stingy version of MacGyver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I agree. A neighbour of my aunt (in a fairly well off part of Dublin) was getting their house renovated. They put a perfectly ok suite of furniture into the skip. Some of the other neighbours had a look at the suite, in passing. So the owner came out of the house and cut the suite of furniture with a knife. That, to me, was disgraceful.

And stupid, if someone had taken the suite there would have been more room in the skip saving themselves money. Dopes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I've always thought it was strange that so many stinge-bags are married.
    Why would anybody want to spend their whole life with some miserable penny pincher:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

stingy doesn't really come close but..got in from work this evening and went to make cup of tea and only a drop of milk left so I poured away anyway only to find the "milk" was actually just coloured water someone had kindly offered to make it seem like they hadnt used it all up, so kid tells me her dad had visited and used the last of it to make a coffee. thanks bastard face.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

zxy wrote: »
    stingy doesn't really come close but..got in from work this evening and went to make cup of tea and only a drop of milk left so I poured away anyway only to find the "milk" was actually just coloured water someone had kindly offered to make it seem like they hadnt used it all up, so kid tells me her dad had visited and used the last of it to make a coffee. thanks bastard face.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

amdublin wrote: »
    he used all the milk and replaced it with water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I went out with an air Canada trolley dolly a good few years ago, they were put up in the burlo for the 3 nights they would be here between flights and got 150 quid a day to cover their general expenses including meals.

What did ye use for lube? Complimentary shower gel...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I've always thought it was strange that so many stinge-bags are married.
    Why would anybody want to spend their whole life with some miserable penny pincher:confused:

girl at work had one renting with her, said he was the most miserable git you'd meet, wouldnt buy a bottle of water despite working all day in a shop - just went dehydrated. no bus no nothing, walked the hour to and fro, in all weathers. etc etc etc
    anyway he says one day the girlfriend is coming to visit. they were all dying to see what kind of girl she'd be! completely "normal" apparently. lovely and not stingy.
    no idea why

I wonder if you'd start thinking "oh it's just something s/he does, it's kinda cute in a way, ha ha"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

bluewolf wrote: »
    girl at work had one renting with her, said he was the most miserable git you'd meet, wouldnt buy a bottle of water despite working all day in a shop - just went dehydrated. no bus no nothing, walked the hour to and fro, in all weathers. etc etc etc
    anyway he says one day the girlfriend is coming to visit. they were all dying to see what kind of girl she'd be! completely "normal" apparently. lovely and not stingy.
    no idea why

I wonder if you'd start thinking "oh it's just something s/he does, it's kinda cute in a way, ha ha"
    That might be fine for a month or so but would people not get sick of that very fast? Is love really that blind?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭Naos

She tells him to ring his auld lad, which he does, only to be told that he had taken the fuse out of the metre box...... And would continue to do so every day he and the wife were working.
    The deal was he had to give his parents 5 quid (sterling) for every day he wanted the fuse left in while they were at work. Brilliant!

Good story!

Although, I don't see why the scabby kid didn't just purchase a fuse...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 joanofarse

Just a big thanks to all who contributed! 128 pages read in 3 days, very entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

joanofarse wrote: »
    Just a big thanks to all who contributed! 128 pages read in 3 days, very entertaining.

You should log in when your reading, only 63 pages then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

phill106 wrote: »
    You should log in when your reading, only 63 pages then!

That's the spirit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Wait! What?.... The thread is 168 pages for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭James2693

it is 168 pages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

you can set in your CP preferences to view 40 posts per page..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

It's 64 pages ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement