Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

There's a old fella from home who is notorious for going to funerals of people he may barely know just to go the the free dinner or sandwiches. Every morning he goes through the death notices to see who is dead and then picks the ones he'l go too.

I remember at a relatives funeral a year a ago we invited ppl back to a nearby hotel for dinner and tea. He showed up and the hotel staff actually knew to put him by himself in the corner, serve him first as to get rid of him but when he finished the tea and biscuits, he sat there and asked for more biscuits. People just rolled their eyes at him.

If hes from Laois I know exactly who you are talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

It's 64 pages ;)

It is now...

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

medici wrote: »
    Colleague of parent's used to hate idea of his wife wasting money on tea while he was at work, so used to bring the plug and electrical cord with him to work and leave it locked in his car....

That's not stingy. That's spousal abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

peatcass wrote: »
    Not sure how true it is, but a lad i used to work with says he used to rent a car with the same size tyres as his car, then swap them over.. car rental companies don't check tyre tread.. new rubber for the low low price of €35

That's pure genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

im been stingy right now :D i went to the shop and didnt bother buying milk coz pringles were on special offer and i decided to have cornflakes but i wanted to have two bowls so id to make do with the tiny bit of milk so i ate most of the first lot with a fork and now theres milk left in the bowl enough for a 2nd bowl :D:D:D

ohhhh college life:D:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

garv123 wrote: »
    im been stingy right now :D i went to the shop and didnt bother buying milk coz pringles were on special offer and i decided to have cornflakes but i wanted to have two bowls so id to make do with the tiny bit of milk so i ate most of the first lot with a fork and now theres milk left in the bowl enough for a 2nd bowl :D:D:D

I do that all the time. Dont eat them with a fork though. Just drain the spoon. Drinking the milk after is SAVAGE!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I do that all the time. Dont eat them with a fork though. Just drain the spoon. Drinking the milk after is SAVAGE!

i taut it was the sugar in it so i tried adding abitta sugar to a glass of milk but it wasnt as good:(
    coco pops milk mmmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭who what when

zxy wrote: »
    thanks bastard face.

Lol, so much bitterness in three little words!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

I was getting a photo developed in my local pharmacy. Cost 20c but asked for a student discount, got it for 18c :D

(It was more a principle than stingy thing, another time I went in wearing my uniform and they wouldn't give me a discount cause I didn't have my card with me)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

garv123 wrote: »

Stingy on the puncuation too, what a sentence. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

I was getting a photo developed in my local pharmacy. Cost 20c but asked for a student discount, got it for 18c :D

(It was more a principle than stingy thing, another time I went in wearing my uniform and they wouldn't give me a discount cause I didn't have my card with me)

What principal?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Had a bake sale in college last week as a fundraiser for a free event for students that were putting on next week. Some girl came back with a cupcake her friend bought her and asked for a refund because she didn't like to. Sixty ****ing cent! Scabby!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

Bob Z wrote: »
    What principal?

??
    He never mentioned anything about a principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

today a butcher wanted me to pay for bones, even though i had bought other meat, in these bad times, guess he would have charged me for the steam from his p8ss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

lol some funny stories in here!

someone in my family used to tell me to use 2 squares only of toilet roll when going to the loo.

my mom gets recycled presents from her mother in law (step gran to me)
    recycled as in someone bought her something she didn't want so she gives it to my mom for her bday regardless of what it is :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

My very good friend's father is a millionaire, and a notorious stinger. When I call down to my buddy's very large detached home, I have to keep my hoodie/leather jacket combo on at all times(in the winter) as the father doesn't believe in using the central heating. So much so that the pipes burst already this year.

He doesn't buy tin foil for use in the kitchen, like for grilling. Instead, he saves it from the pre-cooked dinners that he buys every day in the local deli. There are many examples but this is one that makes me laugh for some reason...

Yesterday however, I saw something which gave me an insight into how stingy you can actually be.
    I was discussing with the buddy about what cheese to melt on our burgers, like, cheddar(safe bet) VS 'some european stuff'. I thought in the interests of fairness and the education of my palate, I'd taste the 'european stuff'

IMG_0264.JPG

I don't even know where you'd get this! Knock on the doors of the SVP?
    I know people will say ah shur it's free, why wouldn't ya, but I mean come on, it's the principal of the thing. It's for people who genuinely can't afford their groceries!
    (BTW the EU Aid free cheese tastes good, very mature ;P )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

thefloss wrote: »
    My very good friend's father is a millionaire, and a notorious stinger. When I call down to my buddy's very large detached home, I have to keep my hoodie/leather jacket combo on at all times(in the winter) as the father doesn't believe in using the central heating. So much so that the pipes burst already this year.

He doesn't buy tin foil for use in the kitchen, like for grilling. Instead, he saves it from the pre-cooked dinners that he buys every day in the local deli. There are many examples but this is one that makes me laugh for some reason...

Yesterday however, I saw something which gave me an insight into how stingy you can actually be.
    I was discussing with the buddy about what cheese to melt on our burgers, like, cheddar(safe bet) VS 'some european stuff'. I thought in the interests of fairness and the education of my palate, I'd taste the 'european stuff'

IMG_0264.JPG

I know people will say ah shur it's free, why wouldn't ya, but I mean come on, it's the principal of the thing. It's for people who genuinely can't afford their groceries!

Whatever about his stinginess, if that is government cheese then millionaires should not be getting it! Let him eat cake instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

IMG_0264.JPG

I don't get the logic of someone not putting on the heating at home etc and then buying ready made meals...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I don't get the logic of someone not putting on the heating at home etc and then buying ready made meals...
    Not only that but he buys them every single day from the local deli. Tesco value they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

IMG_0264.JPG

How did he get the cheese? I would have assumed this was for people on welfare etc.? Or do you have apply for it?!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

How did he get the cheese? I would have assumed this was for people on welfare etc.? Or do you have apply for it?!!!

A few years ago they had a similar scheme giving out meat to the needy-all the well to do folk would turn up first to get the prime stuff.Turns out some of their friends handed out the meat and used to tip them off what time to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Is that not illegal? I thought new fathers were allowed a couple of days leave?

they are...6 days or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Some people just arnt that smart. Given the choice between rich and a wanker or poor and nice its a no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

OK so I found out that he has a brother who works with the needy, which means he had to go out of his way (like not to a shop) to get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭Naos

OK so I found out that he has a brother who works with the needy, which means he had to go out of his way (like not to a shop) to get it!

He should be reported. That is beyond scabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭d.lally2

One of my friends pulled out of a box of fags one day years ago before school, being the generous type he offered them around. one of the other lads said thanks, pulled out his nearly full 20 box and put it in it! Thankfully 10 years later he's not like that any more, although when drinking sometimes there is "confusion" when it's his round.

Also a more recent story of a lad I know took his friends car to go for a spin around while everyone was gone out for the night. There was hardly any petrol in it so he asked his passenger for €10 for petrol, put €5 petrol in the car and then asked the owner of the car for the €5 back the next day, even though he was the one who spent it driving around! Unfortunately this guy hasn't changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Melissa89

Some of these are shocking! Great thread!

Used to live with a girl who would use all our stuff and never contribute to the household stuff (eg wouldn't buy washing up liquid when we'd run out cos she ate mostly take aways, or briquettes for the fire cos she spent all day in her room[with the storage heater on, might i add]) and would use all our other stuff, like would use my detergent and if she was using it when someone else was there she would say (in passing so as not to look suspicious) she ran out and I told her to use mine.

She used to use our shampoo and conditioner too. Took a particular liking to a certain housemates brand - she hadn't finished her old one, but had a new one in the shower, when the housemate went to use it after finishing the old bottle it was completely empty!

Then she had the cheek to buy the same one when her grant came in and take it in and out of the shower with her!

That's only a taster!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

What about those people who crowd around free samples of food in the supermarket like they have been starved for the last 40 days and go round the aisles a few times just to get some more free cubes of cheese or whatever is free. I even saw them hurtling towards a stand that was dishing out pickled herrings.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I cant believe that at Christmas time, not one stingy story is out there to be told! :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I cant believe that at Christmas time, not one stingy story is out there to be told! :(

people being stingy with their stingy stories

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement