Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭grungepants

this **** is bringing me down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

newmug wrote: »
    Thats not stingy, thats common sense. Now if she tried to clean the dirty ones..............
    I should have bolded the "visible dirt". I have seen old streaks of gravy on napkins when i have eaten in hers. Sorry, but I can't see how common sense allows a person to unknowingly wipe their smig across something that has the remains of someone elses curry from the night before on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

rebel10 wrote: »
    I should have bolded the "visible dirt". I have seen old streaks of gravy on napkins when i have eaten in hers. Sorry, but I can't see how common sense allows a person to unknowingly wipe their smig across something that has the remains of someone elses curry from the night before on it.

Well maybe I read it wrong. I took it to mean if they're clean, she re-uses them. Yea re-using already used ones is unbelievably stingy and pretty gross alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

Biggins wrote: »
    My mother is law is so stingy I have barred her from our home.

Among many, many things, when my wife was young, the mother was so stingy, the daughter (and her sisters) had to spend her babysitting money in order to buy food to feed herself weekly.
    The mother would NEVER buy toys for the kids, only give them what was donated or shared.
    The mother was and still is so stingy that (after I had words with her) for the wifes birthday she actually went and bought a €9.99 doll for her birthday. A cheap plastic doll.
    She never buys Christmas cards, Birthday cards (or presents), never buys anything to keep her home clean, never cleans (I refuse to let my kids enter her home), never buys anything of a personal hygiene nature, I could go on...

Where is her husband? For many years he was in the army and was away a lot. When he came home - he saw how things were and stayed away from there too (and who could blame him!).

When the wife moved out of home and moved in with me, the mother turned up at our door a week later and asked the daughter if she would still be handing up part of her weekly wage to the mother!
    I won't repeat the words of expression I used to the mother in law, I'll leave that to your imagination.
    She tried begging for money too after that - I had just two words for her each time.

You want to meet a stingy person, I'll introduce you to one of the scummiest best (or worst - depending on perspectives).

The day she dies, I'll spit on her grave and sing "Hallelujah".

How has it affected your wife? Is she a bit stingy too? What's your wife's relationship with her mum like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Originally Posted by Biggins viewpost.gif
    My mother is law is so stingy I have barred her from our home.

She never buys Christmas cards, Birthday cards (or presents), never buys anything to keep her home clean, never cleans (I refuse to let my kids enter her home), never buys anything of a personal hygiene nature, I could go on...

TBH she sounds a bit bad, but Xmas cards and Birthday cards are a scam, Unless you get the ones that support a charity/hospice/hospital.
    I've gotten some really nice hand/home made cards, I was impressed that they went to the effort and never looked down on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Sure isnt being stingy and tight fisted all the fashion now for 2009...??:)

I find that teachers are the stingiest people I have ever come across..anyone else found that?

Definitely!! I should know my Father's the worst type....The dreaded retired teacher.....can bore for Ireland:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

SparkyTech wrote: »
    Friend and I were once in a well known fast food establishment last year. His meal came to 8.98 or some similar figure. Handed in a 10er note. Poor girl behind the counter who didnt have great english in the first place explained nicley she didnt have any 2c's to give him back (even though he had already got 98% of his change entitlement in the form of a euro) and would he mind leaving it at that. Refused to leave untill he got his 2c back. She had to go and get the manager to put in the code for till beside hers all so stingy macmuffin could get his 2c. Ordeal took ten mins. Everyone looking on in q. Mortified was an understatement.

Ugh this happened to me as a sales assistant when the new VAT rate came in last year. We deducted the .05% or what ever it was from every purchase at the till. So, something that was €40 was now €39.97 or something. We were running out of 1 and 2 cent coins at mad rates, so sometimes we had to ask a customer could we leave them 2 or 3 cent short. Every occasion except ONE the customers were grand. Lady kicked up such a fuss and waited 15 minutes for 2 cent, as we had to run to a different shop and ask for ten cent in change. Probably thought we were making loads off it but realistically if someone was owed 4 c change, we'd give them 5 cent, if it was 7c or up, we'd give them 10 cent. Miserable cow made such a scene, her daughter was mortified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

I knew a fella who used to take the batteries out of his alarm clock in the morning and put them back in before he went to sleep at night.

For the record, I don't consider it stingey if it's soley self-deprevation. It's only when you're doing it to other people that it qualifies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

God i love this thread !

I have loads and they're mostly about the same girl !

Used to work for a company where every day i'd have to go to the bank with a lodgement. The bank was only up the street really but there was a kinda unwritten rule that you could take at most an hour, it was great cause if you were lucky you could stick it in the nightsafe and galavant round the town for an hour !!! Great stuff. Anyway, the company car was always there for the taking but i'd personally always take my own.

So one week we had auditors in and i was up to my tits in paperwork so i asked one of the other girls in the office if she'd go. No Problem there........she heads off and does her few bits up town, happy days ! The next day i was still busy so i asked her again.........away she goes again. On her return, she comes over to my desk and says; ' whats the story with expenses !'...............I actually laughed cause i honestly thought she was kidding but no she wanted to know what she was due re petrol ! I was stunned but in thinking i'd shame her, i said, ' i dunno sure i'll ask ****, (the boss). Fine she says !.......so i went to the boss and with a straight face i put her query to him ! He was like ' WHA' ? So to be smart and to try and prove to her how ridic she was being he worked out in ratio to what the on the road reps where gettin per mile, she was due £ 1.87 or something ridic like that. So i went to her with that exact amount.........and she took it without question. Needless to say i never asked her to go again !

SAME GIRL !

One day she was paying for something and the only accepted payment was cheque or postal order. She needed it that day so , me being someone who would never see anyone stuck, said i'd write her a cheque. I actually popped home on my lunch (realising my book wasn't in my bag as i thought) to get the chequebook. I wrote her the cheque which was £9.68 and handed it to her, she put a tenner on my desk and stood there. after a minute i says, 'ok '? she says, 'yeah, just waiting on me change ' !!!

I f**kin hate stingy ppl !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

My mate when he was sent for bread, instead of crossing the road to the local shop would cycle a round trip of 8 miles because it would save him 5p for the bread at a different shop.

The same guy was mad for chewing gum ( the above 5p ). On the way to the shop if he found gum squashed into the ground it was cleaned and eaten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 daniel agger

i ave a dope of a friend that when we were playin a game of poker(which we had done for nearly a year every friday) arrived with 2euro50..even thou we had allways played for a fiver...only reason we let him play was cos he was s hit and we happy to wipe the smile off his face when his pair of deuces lost to 4 of a kind :D

also one night when we were getting a taxi...there was four of us and he refused to pay his 1euro50 cut because we staying in his house...funny i didn' t ask for this 'privilege' the week before when he was staying in my house...and i don't think anyone else would!!!

not finished yet 1 time when we were going to soccer(the 1 time he drove) he was driving along and the car kept jumping...i ignored this 4 a minute then finally i said after a while 'what the hell is up with your car'..?he proceeds to tell me theres nothing wrong with the car hes just applying and releasing his foot off the accelerator to save petrol...i was stunned!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Derfil wrote: »
    My mate when he was sent for bread, instead of crossing the road to the local shop would cycle a round trip of 8 miles because it would save him 5p for the bread at a different shop.

The same guy was mad for chewing gum ( the above 5p ). On the way to the shop if he found gum squashed into the ground it was cleaned and eaten.
    :eek: that is disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

I was walking downtown one day, I saw a guy looking intently into a bin.
    He then takes a tissue out of the bin studies for about 10 seconds before blowing his nose on it and stuffing it into his pocket
    Nearly spewed on the spot!
    He was a pretty well dressed guy too

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Friends of hubby asked us over for dinner and another 2 couples, when we got there, we were handed a chinese menu to order something, just before the order was put in, the hubby asked for the money for the food.

My friends mother always fills up her handbag when having breakfast in the hotel, saves having to buy lunch.:confused:

One of my old bosses on a good salary used to always give .50c for collections, after years of doing this, lets say his retirement gift was not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

gogsy wrote: »
    3 girls (including myself) go for a coffee in gloria jeans
    1 goes to order and buys one coffee for 2 of us to share!!

Unless I'm reading you incorrectly, your complaining that your friend didn't buy you each a free coffee?!

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

I was on a night out with friends one time and I went up to the bar with one of the lads.We ordered 2 shots and unexpectedly I ended up paying for the 2 shots because my friend had no money.He said he'd get me back.
    Later in the night,I met my friend and he handed me a half full bottle of bulmers.I asked him where he got it."On a table over there,told ya I'd get ya back!"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was at the supermarket this evening and was returning my trolley. As I was wheeling it towards to others to lock it in and get my €1 back, a dumpy aul wan came up to me and asked me if I was returning it. I said I was and told her I'd give it to her if she would give me her euro coin.

She said "In God's name no way!!" and gave me a look of disgust. Perhaps she forgot that she would be getting the euro coin back when she returned the trolley herself!??:confused::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

I have got a friend, who will not reply to texts because he is so tight with money he will send a call me or worse again he rings my phone long enough for the call to come in and hangs up before I answer. When I ask him why he rings and hangs up before I answer he says I dont want to waste credit, I'm ringing you to let you know to ring me :(, And I forgot he constantly lies :D, had to get this off my chest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭nosey rosie

A lady from Belfast I know, who is absolutely LOADED, has for years, used only second class stamps on her letters :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

A lady from Belfast I know, who is absolutely LOADED, has for years, used only second class stamps on her letters :rolleyes:
    whats the difference? the quality of bag they're carried in?:D

ah seriously now, whats the difference?

• Advertisement

peatcass wrote: »
    whats the difference? the quality of bag they're carried in?:D

ah seriously now, whats the difference?
    Peatcass they take longer - instead of next day, about 2-3 days later. For the sake of a few bliddy pence!!! And seeing that blue stamp on a personal letter just looks mean, like you're not worth the full price of a stamp :(

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gravityisalie

[QUOTE

My friends mother always fills up her handbag when having breakfast in the hotel, saves having to buy lunch.:confused:

QUOTE]

couple of yougurts , all the jam packets and tubs of milk straight into the handbag :D cant help myself

[QUOTE

QUOTE]

couple of yougurts , all the jam packets and tubs of milk straight into the handbag :D cant help myself
    Oh Gawd... I've done that in hotels... all the toast and bacon tucked away in a paper napkin for sarnies later :p plus all the condiments ( posh word ) straight into the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

a real tight ass in work once asked me did i want to go halves on a newspaper

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

This stingy lad i know used a €20 note to smoke a €50 note. I mean its common knowledge that you can only smoke a fifty with another fifty . . .

http://www.universitytimes.ie/?p=254

a real tight ass in work once asked me did i want to go halves on a newspaper
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 leeds87

my neighbour who is a rich farmers wife, steams stamps of post she receives and uses them to send her letters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

A guy I work with admitted he charges his mother for giving her a lift ,that's just wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

A few years ago, my cousin was staying in our house for a few weeks during the summer. I happened to get sick and ended up in hospital for a week or so. While I was away, she smashed my money-box, bought herself a week's supply of sweets and a get well soon card for me with the change. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

My da is hitting 80 and long since retired but still does bits and pieces to keep him busy. One day the next door neighbour, (who is a hateful so and so ) asked him some advice on garden ponds.

So he told her that he would install it (free of charge) when she got it.
    She asked him where would she get one and he told her he'd seen them in Atlantic Homecare (about 10 mile from where we live)

So a few weeks later he meets her and she says oh i've chosen the pond i wanted in Atlantic. He says, grand, i'll be over tomorrow to fit it.
    'No' she says do it on friday, when i took it to the counter i saw they do 10% discount for pensioners on thursdays so i left it back........sure you can go and get it for me thursday evening !

So basically she drove ten miles to the shop, had it in her hand at the till, and left it back and told an 80 year old to drive the 20 mile round trip so she could save a tenner on a 100 quid pond !

I despair i really do !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement