Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

My Nanny: 90 and a half years old.

She receives a box of biscuts from my aunt. Several days later a re-wrapped box of half eaten biscuts is given to my mum from nan. :rolleyes:

Same Nanny. For my 8th birthday, I receive a very used second hand dart board. The darts had nothing to stick to when you threw them for feck sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Debthree

d.lally2 wrote: »
    when drinking sometimes there is "confusion" when it's his round.

I love it. :D

Years ago a friend of mine stayed with her sister and brother-in-law for a fortnight and the level of stinginess from the brother-in-law was unprecedented.

Two examples:
    1) She noticed a curious thing after a week or so - every time she used the loo she noticed that the loo roll was flattened down even though this was the third of fourth roll over the course of her stay. She also noticed that whenever she came out of the bathroom the brother-in-law was outside. Pervert? No, worse (lol), he was listening to the bumps the loo roll made against the wall - the flattened roll caused the side of it to bang. He asked her to please use less toilet roll as it had bumped 23 times.

2) One night she couldn't sleep and she came downstairs and rooted through the fridge for a drink (keep in mind she gave a lot of money towards groceries etc for her stay there and babysat too). Anyway she found a few bottles of ginger ale at the back of the fridge, lined up neatly. She drank one. The next morning all hell broke loose as the brother-in-law rummages in the fridge in a distraught fashion and loudly proclaims 'Thursday's ginger ale is gone'.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Debthree wrote: »
    Years ago a friend of mine stayed with her sister and brother-in-law for a fortnight and the level of stinginess from the brother-in-law was unprecedented.

Two examples:
    1) She noticed a curious thing after a week or so - every time she used the loo she noticed that the loo roll was flattened down even though this was the third of fourth roll over the course of her stay. She also noticed that whenever she came out of the bathroom the brother-in-law was outside. Pervert? No, worse (lol), he was listening to the bumps the loo roll made against the wall - the flattened roll caused the side of it to bang. He asked her to please use less toilet roll as it had bumped 23 times.

2) One night she couldn't sleep and she came downstairs and rooted through the fridge for a drink (keep in mind she gave a lot of money towards groceries etc for her stay there and babysat too). Anyway she found a few bottles of ginger ale at the back of the fridge, lined up neatly. She drank one. The next morning all hell broke loose as the brother-in-law rummages in the fridge in a distraught fashion and loudly proclaims 'Thursday's ginger ale is gone'.

To save his loo roll simply wipe arse in his towel and refill his ginger ale with piss.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

Once went on a date with a bloke who ordered the most expensive thing off the menu. then when it came to pay he chucked in 10sterling and said could I pay the rest to save him running to the ATM and he would get me a drink in the bar after.

So he went to the ATM and got me the cheapest 1/2 pint of terrible ale (worth a pound). So then I thought im going to openly order a Guinness next time (expecting him to pay) , but he didn't so I ended up down about 9pounds sterling! Im just so used to the irish thing of if you buy a round for someone one night they get you back but In Britain they don't! None-the less I stopped dating this guy straight away! way to impress a girl :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

snorlax wrote: »
    Im just so used to the irish thing of if you buy a round for someone one night they get you back but In Britain they don't!
    :confused:, they do, all the time, every time I go to the pub and we're on rounds ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Once went on a date with a bloke who ordered the most expensive thing off the menu. then when it came to pay he chucked in 10sterling and said could I pay the rest to save him running to the ATM and he would get me a drink in the bar after.

So he went to the ATM and got me the cheapest 1/2 pint of terrible ale (worth a pound). So then I thought im going to openly order a Guinness next time (expecting him to pay) , but he didn't so I ended up down about 9pounds sterling! Im just so used to the irish thing of if you buy a round for someone one night they get you back but In Britain they don't! None-the less I stopped dating this guy straight away! way to impress a girl :D

this wasn't in yorkshire by any chance

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Im just so used to the irish thing of if you buy a round for someone one night they get you back but In Britain they don't!
    In fairness (and this thread has proved it), not all Irish people are like that. I know a few who aren't. Like a friend of mine, all for drinking when other people are up to get a round, but when it comes to his turn, suddenly he's not in the mood to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I was in a restaurant at the weekend when at the end of the meal when we were all heading out one of the party proceeded to take most of the little sugar sachets and fire them into their handbag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

My aunt and her husband are well known in my family for being the most mean of a bad lot. They regularly go to funerals of people they don't know but may have some remote connection to so that they can get the free drink, tea, sandwiches and conversation. They don't go to the pub because it costs them.

A local greyhound won big a few years ago and the owner put on a free bar. Needless to say they were in the pub before we were back from the coursing, waiting for the free drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Know a lad I don't call him stingy, I'd call him starved. The guy would devour anything put in front of him that he doent have to pay for, as we were the same age a few years ago every weekend had endless 21st Bday parties usually with fingerfood.

I would often see him grab quickly on to the plate in front of him like a starved child and proceed to fill his left hand with food. He would then proceed to eat from the plate like everyone else only stuffing his face and then when the plate was empty he would devour his reserves supply held in his now grease soaked hand, then he would proceed to leave the group and peer onto other tables for unwanted Chicken wings and the like. One time I walked into the Jacks and found him in there with a whole plate. There were plenty of chippers around if he was that hungry lik?

The lads he lived with used to say he would help them eat their dinner and nearly had to eat in their rooms if they made chips as he would go 'oh chips' and grab a fist of them of the plate without asking. The have often seen him inspect what they had put in the bin to see if there was anything worth saving.

He once called over to our college gaff drinking and left 3 cans in our Fridge, 6 months later he called again, I arrived to the house to find everyone canning so I proceeded to the fridge to find my beer gone to which he explained that I owed him 3 cans from the last time he called, he came empty handed to the house expecting 'his' beer. To make things worse it was after 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

this wasn't in yorkshire by any chance

yeah it was.

lived there for a year and it was the pretty much the same everywhere. People generally buy their own drinks.

this guy was the exception though as he was just completely scabby as he expected others to buy his drinks/ food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Know a lad I don't call him stingy, I'd call him starved. The guy would devour anything put in front of him that he doent have to pay for, as we were the same age a few years ago every weekend had endless 21st Bday parties usually with fingerfood.

I would often see him grab quickly on to the plate in front of him like a starved child and proceed to fill his left hand with food. He would then proceed to eat from the plate like everyone else only stuffing his face and then when the plate was empty he would devour his reserves supply held in his now grease soaked hand, then he would proceed to leave the group and peer onto other tables for unwanted Chicken wings and the like. One time I walked into the Jacks and found him in there with a whole plate. There were plenty of chippers around if he was that hungry lik?

The lads he lived with used to say he would help them eat their dinner and nearly had to eat in their rooms if they made chips as he would go 'oh chips' and grab a fist of them of the plate without asking. The have often seen him inspect what they had put in the bin to see if there was anything worth saving.

He once called over to our college gaff drinking and left 3 cans in our Fridge, 6 months later he called again, I arrived to the house to find everyone canning so I proceeded to the fridge to find my beer gone to which he explained that I owed him 3 cans from the last time he called, he came empty handed to the house expecting 'his' beer. To make things worse it was after 10pm.

I just don't get that kind of mentality, going into the jacks with a plate of food to eat? Actually rooting in the bins for food that is edible?! Wtf is wrong with some of these people?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

the rule i have is if the drink is there for over ten days it then belongs to the house and will be donated generously to anyone short of booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

A guy I work with admitted he charges his mother for giving her a lift ,that's just wrong
    What a tightarse.
    His mother should add up all the money she spent on him while he was growing up and present him with a massive bill :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

What a tightarse.
    His mother should add up all the money she spent on him while he was growing up and present him with a massive bill :).

This guy still lives at home and 90% of the workforce took a pay cut and he reduced the amount he gives her by that percentage ,baring in mind he was giving her a paltry 50 euro a week during the boom.He charged her 60 for a lift to the airport then told her that it only cost her a tenner because he had given her 50 the previous day...

Makes the blood boil:mad:

This guy still lives at home and 90% of the workforce took a pay cut and he reduced the amount he gives her by that percentage ,baring in mind he was giving her a paltry 50 euro a week during the boom.He charged her 60 for a lift to the airport then told her that it only cost her a tenner because he had given her 50 the previous day...

Makes the blood boil:mad:

Holy crap. What a pr1ck. Having said that, she spawned him and reared him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Debthree wrote: »
    Holy crap. What a pr1ck. Having said that, she spawned him and reared him.

His father is the same ,he found out that one of the lads was living near by so he took the wheels off the car and got a lift to work so he wouldn't have to put mileage and use petrol in the car.He never offered money towards petrol for the chap giving him a lift to work ,he claimed "ahh sure he's going that way anyway"

Like father like son!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

FatherLen wrote: »
    the rule i have is if the drink is there for over ten days it then belongs to the house and will be donated generously to anyone short of booze.

No the rule is, If you leave beer in my house, I will drink it.

Dont like it? Then either
    1.Bring it with you when you leave.
    2. Man up and drink more
    3. Dont by so much beer.

I love this thread..:D

His father is the same ,he found out that one of the lads was living near by so he took the wheels off the car and got a lift to work so he wouldn't have to put mileage and use petrol in the car.He never offered money towards petrol for the chap giving him a lift to work ,he claimed "ahh sure he's going that way anyway"

Like father like son!

Grrrrr. I hope the guy giving him the lift started demanding petrol money after a while. My mother always said the worst legacy you can leave is that you were mean. People never forget it. I remember her nearly killing us when we were kids if we wouldn't share. She was dead right too. I won't tolerate my kids being mean either - it's not a habit you want to foster in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

A chap in college with me once scoffed an entire tray of free sample cookies mere seconds after they had been put out.

Greedy bastid used both hands to eat as well. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

A friend of mine is so tight he'd rather break his leg than a fifty euro note.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

a real tight ass in work once asked me did i want to go halves on a newspaper

and did you?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

John O'Donoghue reclaiming as an expense a £1 donation he made to UNICEF.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

A woman I work with sent out a gift list with her wedding invitations that read

50 euro

100 euro

150 euro

200 euro

*please note 50 euro is for the unemployed only*

They were having people back to the house after the weddin so it's not even like they had a big hotel bill they were worried about paying off!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You're kidding! That's appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,924 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

RainMaker wrote: »
    John O'Donoghue reclaiming as an expense a £1 donation he made to UNICEF.

That simply isn't true. He claimed the hotel expenses as he was entitled to do, and the Hotel put a £1 donation to charity included in the bill. It would've been more stingey for him to ask them to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Funky Kingston

A woman I work with sent out a gift list with her wedding invitations that read

50 euro

100 euro

150 euro

200 euro

*please note 50 euro is for the unemployed only*

They were having people back to the house after the weddin so it's not even like they had a big hotel bill they were worried about paying off!

Shocking :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Having a bite to eat today in the pub and there was a well dressed guy sitting next to me reading the paper and drinking coffee. Finished my toasty and was getting a pot of tea when he asked me if i was going to eat my side salad!! He polished it off anyway, I didn't know where to look!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Quazzie wrote: »
    That simply isn't true. He claimed the hotel expenses as he was entitled to do, and the Hotel put a £1 donation to charity included in the bill. It would've been more stingey for him to ask them to remove it.

Well, actually, it is true, in that when he claimed for expenses, he claimed for 2 nights B&B, 2 sessions at the bar and the donation on the invoice, but paid for one session at the bar and his laundry himself. He had to mark which items he wanted to claim for, and he marked the donation.

I don't think it's quite the scandal it was made out to be, but it is entirely true.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement