Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Debthree

Quazzie wrote: »
    That simply isn't true. He claimed the hotel expenses as he was entitled to do, and the Hotel put a £1 donation to charity included in the bill. It would've been more stingey for him to ask them to remove it.

No, that's inaccurate. Ministers and TDs have to approve all items that hotels (or whatever) put on an expense list. The hotel has to run the list by him which they did in the Scottish hotel's case. He approved putting the €1 UNICEF donation on the expenses list.

EDITED TO ADD: I just saw Donny5's post now.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Korvanica wrote: »
    No the rule is, If you leave beer in my house, I will drink it.

Dont like it? Then either
    1.Bring it with you when you leave.
    2. Man up and drink more
    3. Dont by so much beer.

I love this thread..:D

I'd go one step further: if you bring booze to a house, it belongs to the house. If someone has gone to the bother and expense of having you in their home, don't go and reclaim you last two cans of beer/half a bottle of wine from the fridge when you leave. It belongs to them now.

Only exception would be bringing some expensive or rare brandy or whiskey etc. You can take that home you if you don't finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I'd go one step further: if you bring booze to a house, it belongs to the house. If someone has gone to the bother and expense of having you in their home, don't go and reclaim you last two cans of beer/half a bottle of wine from the fridge when you leave. It belongs to them now.

Only exception would be bringing some expensive or rare brandy or whiskey etc. You can take that home you if you don't finish it.

Only a woman would say that.

And before you say "Im a man actually", check again.

Sincerly
    Andy Gray

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I'd 100% agree with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭gothicus

Wánking!! In other words not spreading the love :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Only a woman would say that.

And before you say "Im a man actually", check again.

Sincerly
    Andy Gray

:pac: Ha, only a very stingy man uses his penis as an excuse. ;)

(I am a man, but I'll check to be sure.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

This guy i used to be housemates with in college dropped out, moved out, then got a job in B&Q or something. good for him.

Now, he had treated every one of his friends like **** and alienated them all. only one guy in the house still liked him & the rest of us just tolerated him. When he got the job, he crashed in our living room "for a week until I find my own place" he then proceeded to take over the living room, the TV, have girls over to ride on the couch, raid the fridge, make a total kip of the place and didn't put a penny towards the house even after agreeing to pay his way with bills and such.

He even took my new 2 liter bottle of milk, used it up eating cheerios all f*&^ing day, then complained that there was no milk in the house & when were we going to get some!

He promptly got his arse kicked out :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

This guy i used to be housemates with in college dropped out, moved out, then got a job in B&Q or something. good for him.

Now, he had treated every one of his friends like **** and alienated them all. only one guy in the house still liked him & the rest of us just tolerated him. When he got the job, he crashed in our living room "for a week until I find my own place" he then proceeded to take over the living room, the TV, have girls over to ride on the couch, raid the fridge, make a total kip of the place and didn't put a penny towards the house even after agreeing to pay his way with bills and such.

He even took my new 2 liter bottle of milk, used it up eating cheerios all f*&^ing day, then complained that there was no milk in the house & when were we going to get some!

He promptly got his arse kicked out :mad:

how could someone eat so many cheerios.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

how could someone eat so many cheerios.

Just putting one cheerio in the bowl of milk, very stingy with the cheerios too maybe :)

I know someone,who for breakfeast has a bowl of coco pops.
    On their own no milk nothing.
    This person sucks the chocolate of each coco pop,and then when they've been turned into normal rice crispies,yellow in colour,he spits them back into the bowl with saliva,he then puts the ball of former coco pops into the fridge until it turns into a rice krispie cake which he has for lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

This person sucks the chocolate of each coco pop,and then when they've been turned into normal rice crispies,yellow in colour,he spits them back into the bowl with saliva,he then puts the ball of former coco pops into the fridge until it turns into a rice krispie cake which he has for lunch.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Whoa! That's more disgusting and weird than stingy but stingy nonetheless!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

Can't believe this one i'm afraid :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Penisland wrote: »

I would agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Fvck off!!! I'm not believing that for a second!! lol

Penisland wrote: »

it's true,and when he went for a poo he always made sure the bowl was positioned perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

my uncle refused to buy any presents at all for his 2 children aged 3 and 1 for christmas. His excuse "they are too young to understand".

same uncle mothers day 2008. he didn't buy his new wife and mother of his just born child anything not even a card. his reasoning "its a day for the children to treat the mother when they get older not me".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭CharlesHaughey

Wrap a piece of string to a coin before using a public telephone. The person then pulled out the coin after it registered with the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

joe stodge wrote: »
    my uncle refused to buy any presents at all for his 2 children aged 3 and 1 for christmas. His excuse "they are too young to understand".

same uncle mothers day 2008. he didn't buy his new wife and mother of his just born child anything not even a card. his reasoning "its a day for the children to treat the mother when they get older not me".

its not called wives day ;)
    she'd only be wondering where the child got the money if he put the child's name on the card;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Am I the only one who would de-friend someone for an extreme act of stingyness?

Like fair enough if you have to work with someone or fair enough if alot of these examples are of previous friends. But I wouldnt still be someones friend if I saw them do some mental/extreme act of stingyness.

Its a trait I detest in someone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

when the st stephens green shopping centre used to charge 20p for every person who used the toilet.

Top that.
    lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,423 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

When Gay Byrne had the radio show in the mornings there was a series of phone calls and letters (no e-mails in those days) about mean husbands, almost all of Uncle Gay's correspondents were married women.

Anyway one of the worst that I remember was the husband who drove a big executive four door saloon car but when the family went on holidays he insisted that they all pile into the wife's Nissan Micra because it used less petrol!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

LighterGuy wrote: »

when the st stephens green shopping centre used to charge 20p for every person who used the toilet.

Top that.
    lol.

Ugh I hate that. They're not even exceptionally clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

My missus is Dutch and I lived in Holland for a few years and they take stinginess to a whole new level:

Here are my experiences:

Knew one guy who had two watches. When was not in use he would pull out the button to stop unused watch so that he would save the battery.

I have sat in bars with Dutch people and ended up just buying drinks for myself as you would left parched waiting on them to buy you a drink back.

Winters in Holland can be a lot colder than here, knew a guy who would go to bed early as he refused to put heating on.

Been in restaurants and when bill comes they would all work out to the cent exactly what each person must pay instead of just dividing bill equally like must people do here.

Wife's best friend would make a pot of tea at night, drink half of it and have rest of it cold with her breakfast!

Had wife's grandmother visit us last month with her daughter. Saw grandmother (in her eighties) pay daughter €2.50 back for coffee she had bought her the day before. Couldn't believe the tight bitch took the money off her own mother!

Wife used to get 25 Guilders as birthday present . When Euro came in they converted it to exact rate and put coins in her birthday card!

Could go on and on but the biggest and most shocking one happened last November.

Sadly wife's Grandfather who was a lovely man passed away last November. His wife had visited him the day before in nursing home and had brought new slippers for him that he had asked for. After the funeral she found the receipt and brought the slippers back to shop for a refund!:eek:

Honestly these are all true, sure I could think of loads more.....glad to be away from them and back home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

Am I the only one who would de-friend someone for an extreme act of stingyness?

Like fair enough if you have to work with someone or fair enough if alot of these examples are of previous friends. But I wouldnt still be someones friend if I saw them do some mental/extreme act of stingyness.

Its a trait I detest in someone.
    I also detest it. I had a friend who took being stingy too a whole new level, running off when it was her round, paying into clubs she even got a friend to pay for a holiday on the condition she would repay her. Stopped hanging around with her it became so annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

murpho999 wrote: »
    My missus is Dutch and I lived in Holland for a few years and they take stinginess to a whole new level:

Here are my experiences:

Knew one guy who had two watches. When was not in use he would pull out the button to stop unused watch so that he would save the battery.

I have sat in bars with Dutch people and ended up just buying drinks for myself as you would left parched waiting on them to buy you a drink back.

Winters in Holland can be a lot colder than here, knew a guy who would go to bed early as he refused to put heating on.

Been in restaurants and when bill comes they would all work out to the cent exactly what each person must pay instead of just dividing bill equally like must people do here.

Wife's best friend would make a pot of tea at night, drink half of it and have rest of it cold with her breakfast!

Had wife's grandmother visit us last month with her daughter. Saw grandmother (in her eighties) pay daughter €2.50 back for coffee she had bought her the day before. Couldn't believe the tight bitch took the money off her own mother!

Wife used to get 25 Guilders as birthday present . When Euro came in they converted it to exact rate and put coins in her birthday card!

Could go on and on but the biggest and most shocking one happened last November.

Sadly wife's Grandfather who was a lovely man passed away last November. His wife had visited him the day before in nursing home and had brought new slippers for him that he had asked for. After the funeral she found the receipt and brought the slippers back to shop for a refund!:eek:

Honestly these are all true, sure I could think of loads more.....glad to be away from them and back home!

Not really acts of stingyness I would think, that's just how their culture operates. Something is only stingy if they deviate from the norm of a culture. Also, they don't call it going dutch for nothing! ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

My aunty's husband is Dutch, he is gas when it comes to money saving, it never really works out for him! His latest was spending ages finding the cheapest crossing on a ferry (can't remember where he was going), he gets a good deal and is mad chuffed. He turns up and apparently he's booked the wrong day :p So he has to pay extra to get on that day's boat.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Top that.
    lol.
    They still do charge 20c to use the toilets in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Denny M wrote: »
    They still do charge 20c to use the toilets in there.

A necessary evil - every free public toilet I've seen in Cork and Dublin is usually frequented by scum-bags and drunks/druggies or else is so poorly maintained that they are unusable. If 20 cent is the price for eliminating these, great!
    Either that or get one of these ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Traveljohn-66918B-TravelJohn-Disposable-Urinal/dp/B0019M7VE6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296563554&sr=8-1)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

Stingyness is the LEAST attractive quality in anyone.

Well, that and extreme bodily fungus.

I lived with the stingiest motherlover on the planet. I don't smoke but my other housemates did. He smoked like a trooper but would NEVER buy any. Just pick our fags from whatever packet he found lying around.

We would all buy a few bottles of wine for a housemates dinner, he would say "Oh yeah I'll get them the next time," Drink all the wine and NEVER buy any.

Grrr. It may only be cigarettes and wine but when you're in your 20s and no one is especially flush this kind of meanness is really, really AWFUL.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement