Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

At Last - Taken the Plunge !

• 05-01-2009 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Well at long last after getting my DSLR in Aug last ive decided to do a course,starts in Feb, this one to be exact
    http://www.galleryofphotography.ie/courses/digintro.html

Its mainly due to wanting to know more about getting "the pic" or even how to set the camera up to try and get it and its also mainly due to the amazing pics ye guys put up !
    So just wanted to know from anyone thats done this course or any other course is there any tips for these courses i.e stuff to bring ,besides the camera ;) ??

Oh ive the 450d with standard lense and a 70-300 ,but am looking to get a nifty fifty and a speedlite 430ii in the next few weeks .

Cheers ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭dan759

Definitely bring a notebook and pen.. Even if they give handouts it still gives you a chance to write down explanations from your perspective. It makes it easier when looking back at notes.

Other than that just bring whatever the course reccomends :) Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinarello

Daz R1 wrote: »
    Well at long last after getting my DSLR in Aug last ive decided to do a course,starts in Feb, this one to be exact
    http://www.galleryofphotography.ie/courses/digintro.html

Its mainly due to wanting to know more about getting "the pic" or even how to set the camera up to try and get it and its also mainly due to the amazing pics ye guys put up !
    So just wanted to know from anyone thats done this course or any other course is there any tips for these courses i.e stuff to bring ,besides the camera ;) ??

Oh ive the 450d with standard lense and a 70-300 ,but am looking to get a nifty fifty and a speedlite 430ii in the next few weeks .

Cheers ;)

Fair play to you.I'm in the same boat as yourself.I'm going to do a groups course with Peter Cox this year as i really want to know how to try and do things right.Learning how to use the camera properly and trying to learn Photoshop is going to be a trying few months...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

Anyone been on this course and can recommend it? would like to try something like this!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

To be honest you'll learn more here than anywhere. Unless you go down darkroom or studio lighting route

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

To be honest you'll learn more here than anywhere. Unless you go down darkroom or studio lighting route

And I have done ,Ive learned loads on here, but im more of a "doing" than "reading" person,show me how to do something once -I'll never forget ! And in the future Studio lighting is defo on the cards.
    Nanoc = Anyone been on this course and can recommend it? would like to try something like this!

Ive done a fair bit of searching on this forum and most of the results point to these course's ,yes theres otheres but for me it was location and cost that clinched it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭decsramble

I did that course. It is ok, got me familiar with Photoshop but it is only an introduction so dont come away expecting to be a photoshop wizard. Personally I dont do much photoshop work so for me this was probably the least useful course in the gallery, the two darkroom ones were great however.

Bring a notebook and a memory key with photos on it. You will be editing and saving changes so you will want to bring the photos home when you are finished.

decsramble wrote: »
    I did that course. It is ok, got me familiar with Photoshop but it is only an introduction so dont come away expecting to be a photoshop wizard. Personally I dont do much photoshop work so for me this was probably the least useful course in the gallery, the two darkroom ones were great however.

Bring a notebook and a memory key with photos on it. You will be editing and saving changes so you will want to bring the photos home when you are finished.

Althogh Im interested in editing ,Its more geting to know the camera ,Im an "auto" whore and want to get out of that ,what other course's besides the dark room ones did would ya recomend ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I agree. You'll learn way more going out practising yourself. I only picked up a camera in July and was intent on doing a course but never got round to it but I wouldn't bother with one now, not saying I could do with one though!:)

The best advice anyone gave me was to get "Understanding Exposure" book and then take hundreds of photos at different settings to understand it afterwards.

It's simple after that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭decsramble

Daz R1 wrote: »
    Althogh Im interested in editing ,Its more geting to know the camera ,Im an "auto" whore and want to get out of that ,what other course's besides the dark room ones did would ya recomend ?
    If you are looking to just learn how to use the camera and move it out of Auto than the Creative Approaches course would be better than the digital photography one. That will introduce you to the basics of camera usage F-stops, shutter speeds etc as well as composition and the like plus when I did it on the last night we went out with tripods and took some night time shots. I'd say the course is a little basic if you have knowledge already but if like me you prefer to learn through example then it's good as a getting started and jumping off point to learning more. Over time you will learn more from books, friends and the internet.

decsramble wrote: »
    If you are looking to just learn how to use the camera and move it out of Auto than the Creative Approaches course would be bettter.

Will prob move on to that after ;)

There should be a sticky/poll of what books people have and then you could go in and vote on them ..... just a taught ,maybe its been done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

We already have such thread with recommended literature, not to repeat the same Understanding Exposure again and again and with even more pleasure again, because it is a very good read. Even my mother understood that!

Advertisement