Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog biting at her tail

Options
  • 05-01-2009 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi hoping someone can help me out here,

Found a gorgeous jack russell back in september and no owners came forward so we got all her jabs just incase they werent done before and got her spayed mid december.
    The vet i brought her to on the day i found her to get checked out game me advantage(sp) and told .me to put it behind her collar for fleas and worms which we did.

Shes never had a big appetite and would nearly have to force feed her the food in the evening but ever since shes got spayed no amount of food is enough for her(not that i'm overfeeding her) and shes continuously begging.

Shes been biting at her tail and bum the last few days so i got her a worm tablet(as its been 3 months since first one) But since found out advantage is not for worms its for fleas only which means shes got that once in september and then the worm tab for first time other day.

Cant see any fleas on her and wondering what could be causing this?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It might be that her anal glands need emptying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Oh god how do you do that or how do you know if thats what needs doing?
    I dont like the sound of it but the boyfrends home from work in few mins so can get him to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Doesn't the vet have to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

No, you can do it yourself. It's not pleasant, which is why most people opt to have their vet or groomer do it for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Those spot-ons only last 3 months at a push and I have to say that I didn't find Advantage to be any good at all. I use Frontline/Advocate both of which are available from your vet.

Re the anal glands I'd also get your vet to do it. If emptied incorrectly it can be very uncomfortable for the dog and if there is an infection there then you'll need some antibiotics. But mine usually don't bite at themselves when their glands are full, they lick and scoot around on their bum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement