Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen Appiah

Options
  • 05-01-2009 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

According to the bbc and skysports hes training with the squad with a view to signing till end of season. Quality player if he's at full fitness. Ideal partner for Modric in the centre.

Id be surprised if the defoe and downing deals arent concluded in the next few days, despite all the talk from their clubs it seems as they will prob join.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Very few players available who I would like to see in on a long term deal to play in the middle, he is a good short term option and if he can prove himself then why not? Will bring some much-needed experience to the squad, could be a bit like the signing of Naybet and Davids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

We could do with him ok, sign him up fast..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,565 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Was hoping we could grab him in the summer. And then in January but looks like you's have it sown up.

Fair play to ya, he's a quality player and if he can put that knee injury behind him he'll do a fantastic job for you's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

If he gets himself fully fit, he could be an excellent addition to the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

I remember him playing with Essien in the world cup in 06 and he stood out. Alays a fan since then... used to play with his socks around his ankles ala galvin:)
    i reckon he could prove to be a quality signing, but if he's a success we'll proberbly sell him like we usually do :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

He's only 28, so if injury is Ok we could have a winner. Should sign him on a pay for play for 2 years, or risk losing him in summer if he's fit and proven. With him and Finnan, harry would have pulled two good rabbits out of the hat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

whats this finnan info??? i havent heard a whisper at all about it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I heard it on the radio today that apparently Harry's trying to organise a loan deal for Finnan. Dunno how reliable it is and I haven't heard any ITK speak about it so it's probably not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Finnan move has been rumoured for about two weeks now, was on FTL before Christmas.

Espanyol want a permanent move apparently.

Why do we need Finnan ???

• Advertisement

tippspur wrote: »
    Why do we need Finnan ???

He's a very solid right full, which would allow Harry move Corluka into the middle alongside Woodgate. Although in fairness, Dawson has been solid enough recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

true but what about hutton when he gets back although i think he is out for the season so....

maybe thinkin of putting corluka as a defensive mid fielder?

keane=cock wrote: »
    true but what about hutton when he gets back although i think he is out for the season so....

maybe thinkin of putting corluka as a defensive mid fielder?

Nah dont think Corluka will work as a defensive midfielder, he's either a right full or centre half. Hutton will be the long term right back, but i dont think we will see him until next season, even when he retirned this season he did'nt seem right.

Harry must'nt fancy Gunter, hence the hunt for Finnan.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Manic087

Finnan also has the experience of covering as a left-back too. He already said in an interview that with Assou-Ekotto out, if Bale takes a knock there's no-one to cover. Finnan can also provide this and I think he'd be a very shrewd loan dealif possible. But as already pointed out, if he plays right-back it frees up Charlie to play centre-back. Win-win situation.

Also hope Appiah over his injury. Would be a great addition to midfield. Wonder if Pompey would like Jenas???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Nah dont think Corluka will work as a defensive midfielder, he's either a right full or centre half. Hutton will be the long term right back, but i dont think we will see him until next season, even when he retirned this season he did'nt seem right.

Harry must'nt fancy Gunter, hence the hunt for Finnan.

dont understand that. i think gunter has done himself well whenever he played this season. did little wrong and was quite solid.

my comings of corluka being a dm was just cos he is so calm on the ball.

also why do people call him charlie? never got that one

Yeah its his nickname, not sure why. Maybe its because he's mad for the charlie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

Admit to only knowing of Appiah by reputation having never seen him play but found this video on youtube with him playing for Fernabache, first goals a peach:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71qnXOQXjbM

If he can do a few of them i'll be a happy bunny. Really lacking a classy striking midfielder. I know Modric is capable of running in some goals but thus far he's only got the tap ins.

With us playing 4-4-2 now what is going to happen to JJ. Modric Zokora have to be the starting midfielders so where does poor oul JJ fit in. He can't be happy with the Appiah situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

With us playing 4-4-2 now what is going to happen to JJ. Modric Zokora have to be the starting midfielders so where does poor oul JJ fit in. He can't be happy with the Appiah situation.

Will he be unhappy enough to make a proper effort in the middle though? It doesn't seem to matter what happens around Jenas, he just never seems to deliver except the odd time when playing Arsenal. He's had so much time to prove his worth and it hasn't happened, and if a better midfielder comes along and takes his place he has only himself to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Athletic f*cker isn't he? Looks like just what we need.

Looks great in the vid,if he could rediscover some of that kind of form for us it would be brilliant...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Apparently played in a freindly last night. Any idea on if he will be signed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Apparently played in a freindly last night. Any idea on if he will be signed?
    Some problem with the terms of his contract? I think he has left again - IF, and this is a big if, if we get Palacios I don't see him coming.

Advertisement