Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ammo price

Options
  • 05-01-2009 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

whats the difference in price of bullets for .22 hornet .222 .223 .22/250 .220 swift and .243, just wondering as i'm thinking of buying a new gun, preferabbly same brand prices if anybody knows,
    i use a hornet and i shopped around and found bullets were between 34 and 48 for boxes of hollow point remingtons and winchesters, some price difference :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I'm paying €28 for 40gr/55gr federal nosler ballistic tips. Also paying €11 for AE hollowpoints.

All in .223

A mate pays €38 for hornady ballistic tip 55gr in .22 swift. Ands thats cheap. He buys in bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

tanx jonty are they all boxes of twenty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

.223 military 3 euro a box from the north there not for target but good enough for foxes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

harly1516 wrote: »
    .223 military 3 euro a box from the north there not for target but good enough for foxes

but unless you have a ni license they wont sell to ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

"military"???
    FMJ solids then?

If so, I'd consider them very much NOT good enough for foxes.

Whatever anyone's opinion of the fox and his position in the grand scheme of things, in my opinion, he has to be at least worthy of a humane dispatch with proper expanding hunting ammunition.

• Advertisement

.223 military = 5.56 NATO ???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Would be.
    So DO NOT use in a gun chamberd for .223 remington.There is somthing like 10,000 CUP pressure difference between 5.56 NATO and .223 Remington shells and the throat clearence is different .
    If you have a 5.56 NATO rifle,you CAN use both calibres.
    if it is .223only use .223 Remington ammo

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Would be.
    So DO NOT use in a gun chamberd for .223 remington.There is somthing like 10,000 CUP pressure difference between 5.56 NATO and .223 Remington shells and the throat clearence is different .

I believe you on this one. The problem is, thousands don't.

Its pure ignorance if you fire 5.56 in .223. It voids the rifle's warranty straight away. If something happened you would have no legal comeback.

Mine is .223 not 5.56 and for Rovi people shoot fox with everything from .22, .17, shot guns etc and all over the world military use .223 on much bigger things so I think a well placed shot on a fox is well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Mine is .223 not 5.56 and for Rovi people shoot fox with everything from .22, .17, shot guns etc and all over the world military use .223 on much bigger things so I think a well placed shot on a fox is well done
    No doubt a perfectly placed shot with a .223 FMJ will leave a fox as instantly dead as hitting him with an artillery shell, it's the less than perfectly placed ones that concern me. Quite simply, expanding ammunition considerably enlarges the potential kill zone on any prey animal, with ballistic shock and massive haemorrhage coming into play when the bullet doesn't quite manage to find the brain or spinal column, or the heart/lungs.
    Proper expanding hunting ammunition is available in all the calibres noted above; and militaries around the world are (supposed to be) constrained in their choice of ammunition by the Hague Conventions, hunters know no such restriction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

22 hornet (hornady) €22 per box of 25 and very good to boot

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

The fact that a fmj round has far greater potential for a straight through shot on a fox hasnt been mentioned, a fmj round should never be used for hunting !!

Yes yes yes straight through shot in one ear and out the other

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Would be.

Surely then if someone:rolleyes: wanted to they could buy a 5.56 NATO rifle/barrel and plug away with this bargain ammo (at targets of course),they could??

If so!!!

Where do i buy one???:D or even price one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Yes yes yes straight through shot in one ear and out the other

:eek::eek::confused::confused::eek: is this sarcaism? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

:eek::eek::confused::confused::eek: is this sarcaism? :confused:

He's being dismissive and saying it's fine to hunt with FMJ rounds, which is plainly untrue and a lot of us feel rather passionately about that and are more than a little angry at his dismissive attitude. However, it's best not to respond, lest he entice someone into getting themselves banned out of anger at him.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::confused:

Advertisement