Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"1 service message received" on my mobile

• 05-01-2009 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

I keep getting these messages for things like sports quiz's and the like. I suspect I have been inadvertantly been signed up for something and am probably being charged for this crap. I ams a pay-as-you-go customer with Vodafone. Does anyone know how to make it go away?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

call your network, they'll be able to tell you who it is an the number to text or call to stop it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

i was getting charged like 2euro a pop for these things, only found out when i was away for 2 weeks in a bad coverage area. I just replied with STOP i think and that was the command needed. or UNSUBSCRIBE
    they replied back to me with a message split over two txts (with like 2 or 3 letters on the 2nd txt) and i got charged for both of them telling me that i was unsubscribed !

have you tried to put the number into google ?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭BlueSpud

Cowboys called Zamona, took my wife for about €80.

Unsubscribed by texting STOP to 57252.

BlueSpud wrote: »
    Cowboys called Zamona, took my wife for about €80.

Unsubscribed by texting STOP to 57252.

just for clarity if the OP is searching for them, it's zamano, not zamona. it's not necessarily them although it most likely is. a call to customer care will confirm it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 robertob

I was getting this cr@p too, 2 euro a pop. Phoned my phone company, got the name of who was sending them, Zamano again. Could never open the messages again to send a 'STOP' text. Got short code from mobile operator: 57252.
    I never had any contact with them, the only way I believe Zamano got my number was from entering Newstalk competitions. Which is not nice. Must check with ComReg...

• Advertisement

robertob wrote: »
    the only way I believe Zamano got my number was from entering Newstalk competitions. Which is not nice. Must check with ComReg...

i don't think that's how they got it because i've entered loads of them and i never got signed up to anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

What network are you on? O2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 robertob

Just letting people know, I followed up with Vodafone. I don't belive Newstalk had anything to do with this. It looks like I entered a competition back in November, but I had no re-collection of it. Added some credit to my phone over the weekend and in the message that comes back from Vodafone, they tell you about competitions (including price and unsubscribe info) and other stuff before you are told your balance.

The thing to do with any message you're not sure about is to call your operator, find out who sends them. They did introduce the 'STOP' text a few years ago, but I don't know if there are loads of short codes (51xxx) that you can text to.

Anyhow, the cr@p is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

What network are you on? O2?

He said Vodafone :)
    robertob wrote: »
    Just letting people know, I followed up with Vodafone. I don't belive Newstalk had anything to do with this. It looks like I entered a competition back in November, but I had no re-collection of it. Added some credit to my phone over the weekend and in the message that comes back from Vodafone, they tell you about competitions (including price and unsubscribe info) and other stuff before you are told your balance.

The thing to do with any message you're not sure about is to call your operator, find out who sends them. They did introduce the 'STOP' text a few years ago, but I don't know if there are loads of short codes (51xxx) that you can text to.

Anyhow, the cr@p is over.

If ever there's a shortcode mentioned you can pop it into the box on the bottom of this page and it will give you the company contact info.

http://www.regtel.ie/

Advertisement