Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sleep deprived madness

Options
  • 05-01-2009 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Just had thoughts of the stupid things I did while sleep deprived and was wondering if anyone else has similar story.

I once was putting a chicken into a fridge while holding my 4 week old baby at the time and nearly put the baby in the fridge instead:eek: Luckily i didnt, thought it was a bit strange the chicken was moving lol.

I once put a tea towel in the microwave and nearly put food in the washing machine:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Just had thoughts of the stupid things I did while sleep deprived and was wondering if anyone else has similar story.

I once was putting a chicken into a fridge while holding my 4 week old baby at the time and nearly put the baby in the fridge instead:eek: Luckily i didnt, thought it was a bit strange the chicken was moving lol.

I once put a tea towel in the microwave and nearly put food in the washing machine:eek:

Chilled baby anyone??

I haven't done anything yet (thank god!!), but we'll wait and see... I'm not really sleep deprieved yet though, maybe it's still the adrenaline rush from having a baby!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

lol funny.:D

I did once find a full cup of coffee in the freezer but had no recollection of having put it there. The microwave is on top of the freezer so I suspect I was trying to heat it up.

Not so funny are the many times I would wake up in the middle of the night in a panic with no recollection of having put the baby back in the cot after feeding him but not being able to find him in the bed:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I put the laundry detergint in the fridge.

I nearly left the supermarket without the baby because I forgot I had a baby.

I forgot my phone number on many occassions.

I repeated myself endlessly because I had forgotten that I had already said something.

I thanked my mother for putting the clothes in the dryer only to learn she hadnt done it and I had and had forgotten.

Basically I had no short term memory. Its coming back in drips and drabs but I have forgotten a lot of the first year, even the birth itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

We called this ' Nappy Brain '

In the mother anyway I understand there is partly a hormonal reason for it too ( I am open to correction )

Certainly we ended up writing notes/lists because for example you go to shops and forgot what went for etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I have month old twins.....what is sleep again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

My two are 14 months old now and haven't slept a full night in three weeks! Bloody teething. 9 teeth popped up between them in that time!

One of them went off last night at 2am and when I asked the wife to go out to him (her turn) before he wakes the other one, she went off in a long chat about how her mother is out there with him and he will be fine. Her mother obviously was not in the house at the time! She was completely out of it and delusional so I decided she needed some sleep and had to deal with it myself :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Ah memories (sigh) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Davidth88 wrote: »
    In the mother anyway I understand there is partly a hormonal reason for it too ( I am open to correction )
    There's a theory that the body chemically interferes with your memory of the birthing process and then later interferes with your short-term memory for the first (hardest!) part of child-rearing. In doing so, you "forget" the hassles of the first year and see them through rose-tinted glasses, which prevents you from being discouraged from having more children. They reckon it could be an evolutionary response.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I'm used to sitting up till 5am online at home, and i work night shifts too, i'm used to sleeping during the day, all day. Still, i really could do with my 13 hour lie in, just once :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I'm used to sitting up till 5am online at home, and i work night shifts too, i'm used to sleeping during the day, all day. Still, i really could do with my 13 hour lie in, just once :)

With a new baby you dont get to sleep during the day either. At this point I consider 5 straight hours a lie in. Havent had one since December 2007.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

One of my best mates (like me, loves his bed) is about to become a dad for the first time, and I try to explain the extent of sleep deprivation to him. He just smiles and says it'll be grand, you're only trying to scare me.

Ahpiddythefool

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

I forgot I had a baby a few times (thank god we wernt out at the time), started laughing uncontrolably when driving for no reason, I thought I saw my girlfriend put a "sparkly" bib on our baby and was once convinced that we had to wait till the painter arrived to finish off the sitting room, we have no painter or even thought about painting the sitting room

1 of the lads in work said sleep is for parents is what sex is for single people, if that makes sence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

1 of the lads in work said sleep is for parents is what sex is for single people, if that makes sence

:D absolutely. That's three whole minutes of precious sleep time that you won't get back! :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Often while making the early AM boppy i'll stick the SMA tin in the microwave or fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

What he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

Im glad im not the only mad one out there.:p
    Imagine the countless number of parents (accidents waiting to happen) out there right now, driving cars, operating heavy machinery, operating on people:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

I once went to make a cup of coffee and put formula in the cup.

Another time I started feeding my 6 month old a bottle I just made. With one eye open I noticed the bottle looked a rather weak colour. I'd forgotten to add the formula.

Last week I looked around for my youngest (now walking) around the downstairs and couldn't find him. Then noticed he was in my arm. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

All my sentences are coming out backwards and arseways.

got very mixed up yesterday, thought it was monday cause the kids first day back at school, my daughter usually has tin whistle on a monday after school, so I didnt go down to collect her. She walked home on her own in the freezing cold... poor thing.:o

Go to the shops for specific items and dont come home with them....

I cant think straight at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Quality wrote: »
    Go to the shops for specific items and dont come home with them....
    I don't even have kids and I do that. I end up coming home with a bag full of other stuff, but I've forgotten the thing that I really needed to go down for in the first place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

seamus wrote: »
    I don't even have kids and I do that. I end up coming home with a bag full of other stuff, but I've forgotten the thing that I really needed to go down for in the first place :D

I find that writing a list can help... That is...if you remember to bring the list with you!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

littlebug wrote: »
    lol funny.:D

I did once find a full cup of coffee in the freezer but had no recollection of having put it there. The microwave is on top of the freezer so I suspect I was trying to heat it up.

Not so funny are the many times I would wake up in the middle of the night in a panic with no recollection of having put the baby back in the cot after feeding him but not being able to find him in the bed:eek:
    I used to do that put the baby in to sleep,put him back in the cot and wake up in a tizz looking for the baby not being able to find him in the bed.That really freaks me out.

ahhh kids, they just dont know what you sacrifice for them (sleep, sanity) until they have their own lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lola-ryan

i used to be sleep deprived too. i found myself walking around the house or running up and down the stairs to get milk when i had it in my hand already!! i'd never remember after. it passes but when your in the situation it seems never ending...but you will be able to look back and laugh at it some day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lola-ryan

i'm like that too. my memory is gone. my son is 2 and a half now and i still get it. . . everyone just laughs at me at this stage... it makes me feel very confused! i started writing lists like when i think of something i must get or do or if my boyfriend needs something.i tell him if its not on my list then i can't be expected to remember it. but i do forget to bring my list sometimes but overall i find writing it down works!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭sassa

I had been enjoying a rare lie in a couple of weeks ago when i was woken over and over again by the alarm going off and noticed the snooze button wasnt giving me the full 3 minutes grace before going off again eventually i cottoned on that it was actually the phone ringing and i kept cutting my mum off! oopps!!

another time i was making a nice casserole and put it in the oven cue returning to it an hour later to find i hadn't turned the bloody thing on!!

lola-ryan wrote: »
    i'm like that too. my memory is gone. my son is 2 and a half now and i still get it. . . everyone just laughs at me at this stage... it makes me feel very confused! i started writing lists like when i think of something i must get or do or if my boyfriend needs something.i tell him if its not on my list then i can't be expected to remember it. but i do forget to bring my list sometimes but overall i find writing it down works!
    lola-ryan wrote: »
    i used to be sleep deprived too. i found myself walking around the house or running up and down the stairs to get milk when i had it in my hand already!! i'd never remember after. it passes but when your in the situation it seems never ending...but you will be able to look back and laugh at it some day!!

So sleep deprived you posted twice lol:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

marti101 wrote: »
    I used to do that put the baby in to sleep,put him back in the cot and wake up in a tizz looking for the baby not being able to find him in the bed.That really freaks me out.

Yeah me too its very scary.

Only a few weeks ago i put my spoonful of coffee powder into his bottle instead of my mug :eek:

I wouldnt mind but i use ready made formula so its not even powder. Good job i copped it, he'd have been running up the walls :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I stood in front of my microwave, porridge ready to be cooked and couldn't remember how to work the microwave. Left it for a few mins and came back, nope, still no joy. Eventually I gave up and had toast for breakfast for 3 mornings before my husband reminded me how to turn the dial (it wasn't even a digital microwave that you had to programme, just a button to turn to the number of mins, DOH).

Another time I spent ages looking for my glasses. No, they weren't on my head, they were on my face. I was so tired and my vision blurred that it never dawned on me I was wearing them.

I locked my baby, along with the car keys, into the car.

I can't say I ever forgot one of my children as they were both v colicky so never stopped screaming, never had the excuse of them being so quiet that I forgot them :pac:

My third is due on Valentines Day.................:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

I now have 4 kids so i could go on forever.
    Often feeding baby during the night and dose of,Only too realize the teat is in his ear.
    Often have forgotten one at sometime.
    I have now forgotten half of what i was going to type.lol
    Their names, I have to say all names at once,but funny the one i want always comes.
    Their dates of births.morto when asked,had 3 of them in January.
    My second eldest has been forgotten to be collected after tin whistle and violin many a time.(aged 11)not to bad.
    How to spell.
    All i hear is mam how do you spell such and such.
    My youngest is 5,Eldest is 13,So when speaking to neighbors babies i forget what to be saying to babies now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

triona1 wrote: »
    I now have 4 kids so i could go on forever.
    Often feeding baby during the night and dose of,Only too realize the teat is in his ear.
    Often have forgotten one at sometime.
    I have now forgotten half of what i was going to type.lol
    Their names, I have to say all names at once,but funny the one i want always comes.
    Their dates of births.morto when asked,had 3 of them in January.
    My second eldest has been forgotten to be collected after tin whistle and violin many a time.(aged 11)not to bad.
    How to spell.
    All i hear is mam how do you spell such and such.
    My youngest is 5,Eldest is 13,So when speaking to neighbors babies i forget what to be saying to babies now.

PMSL :D

Advertisement