Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mature student criteria

Options
  • 05-01-2009 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

i have been thinking about going back to college for a number of years now, and i think that perhaps this year is the year
    or maybe next year, who knows

anyway, i was wondering, how does a college decide if it will take on a mature student
    if the college can fill a course with enough applicants who have just done the leaving, does that mean the mature students are ruled out automatically?

also, history was one of the subjects i was thinking about doing
    but i didnt get enough points in the leaving and i didnt even do history either
    which would rule me right out if i had just done my leaving cert
    does this rule me out now too?

ive only just realised that you also have to do an interview for it too
    i have huge respect for anyone who is going back to college
    it surely isnt an easy thing to do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

First of all you need to be 23 years old on the 1st January the year you apply.

Most colleges/unis set aside a number of places for mature students. The number of places for students on the course will determine number of places for mature students. Usually 10% places reserved for mature students.

The good thing about applying as a Mature Student your academic achievements is considered only a small part of your application. Work and Life experience are looked at more.

You need to show your interest in the area which can be researching the area you want to go into, getting work experience in the field or already having some connection with the subject you want to study.

You can't just apply saying you want to study history so "please choose me!". You need to show how you've come to this decision to return to full time education, your experiences which have helped this idea come about, why you feel you will suit the course and what you hope to get out of it. Another thing is to show your commitment to the course and that you will be financially able to support yourself through the course.

Each college/uni have a mature student office with advisors there to help you out on how to apply, what you need and also about funding the course. (All mature students are automatically entitled to a mature student grant) Also, contact the departments directly and ask about what they look for in a mature student applicant.

The deadline for most colleges for this years entry is February 1st so you're application might be rushed if you apply this year. But nothings impossible. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 a4775

thanks for the info there
    it makes me a little more hopeful that i might actually get accepted

im 25 so the age thing wouldnt be a problem
    and you are right about the application being rushed too
    i think new years always gets me thinking about it, but by then it is too late

as for gaining experience in history, i havent studied it since junior cert level
    i got my one and only A in that exam too, but there was no room in the history class in my school so i couldnt do it for the leaving

if i was to have any chance of being accepted, i would really have to do something to show my interest
    somehow, giving them the list of books i have read just wouldnt cut it i dont think

anyway, it is far too late for all of this, i have to get to work in the morning
    thanks again for the help

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think the number 1 most important thing when applying as a mature student to a university is proving your ability to stick the course out. That means, ideally, you should be able to point to a course (part-time or full-time) that you've done since leaving school. Without this, unless you have some pretty impressive work experience or voluntary work, it is a lot harder to prove your case. In contrast proving your interest in the course isn't really that hard imo.

well that would most certainly be my downfall
    i have been interested in history, but i have never done anything about it
    what kind of history course could i do even?
    i cant imagine they do partime history courses at the local college
    ive only ever seen wine tasting and photoshop courses

i shall have to research this a bit

I'm currently doing an Access to Science course (part time) at UCD. There is a Access to Arts course they run there. http://www.ucd.ie/adulted/courses/access_ahs.htm

The people at the Adult Education offices are very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It wouldn't have to be relevant to history. Just something, anything to prove your ability to complete a course. The drop rate amongst mature students is very high. The reason for this is not because they lose interest but because they find it too hard. Even the most passionate of mature students often underestimate the difficulty of trying to concentrate and study in an academic setting. This mightn't be a problem for you (it certainly wasn't for me) but it's still something you have to prove.

Now you would think your age would be an advantage but it's probably a disadvantage in some ways, as they are more likely to wonder what hell have you been doing since leaving school. Interest alone would probably be enough to get into most lower level, PLC-type courses as a mature student, but for university courses there's a lot of competition. From their POV, why take a risk on someone they aren't sure about?

Don't be discouraged though. I'm the same age as yourself and like Larianne I'm also currently doing a UCD Access Course — for Arts. It's a good course, would definitely recommend it. Only two nights a week. And you have a choice between history and English in the first semester. Most universities run them.

You should still apply though, maybe you have other experience since leaving school that you can point to, or maybe exaggerate a little. ;) But have something else, like an access course or plc course or whatever, as backup incase you aren't accepted this year.

You should still apply though, maybe you have other experience since leaving school that you can point to, or maybe exaggerate a little. ;) But have something else, like an access course or plc course or whatever, as backup incase you aren't accepted this year.

Yes, I agree. I think you should still apply. The reason I didn't get in last year was exactly what sad Professor states above. I hadn't done any type of academic study in more than 5 years and doing the Access course this year I'm so glad I didn't get accepted last year. I don't think I would have dropped out, but I would have found full time study very difficult.

If you do head to college this year I'd suggest taking full advantage of any mature student meetings or study skills sessions. They sound silly but will be of great help to you.

ye, the full time study thing is a bit daunting now that you mention it
    i worry that i wouldnt be able to keep up with the rest of the people on the course
    especially when you see the points requirements for some of those courses
    all the swots go for the history related courses it seems
    and i can totally see it from the colleges perspective
    why give away a college place to someone who is going to drop out anyway

as for what i have been doing for the last 5 years, i have been working non stop
    saving money and trying to figure out what i would like to do
    i have a few pound put aside now which should see me through the first year at least
    it would be a good way to hide from the recession, going back to school

thanks for your help you guys, you have answered many questions for me

Have a look at the UCD Adult Education website. http://www.ucd.ie/adulted/interest/index.html

There's a lot of short courses you could do which will help you get back into the swing of study and note taking.

well ucd would be a bit too far for me to go i think
    for a part time course i mean
    there are courses on in dundalk here, i will have a look and see if they have anything interesting

thanks again for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

If you are 23 when going to college in September 2009 (but 22 on 1st January 2009 with your birthday in between), are you considered a mature student for your second year up in terms of grants etc?

Nope, at present your category of student is based on when you entered college. The silly situation of if you go straight from Undergraduate to Postgraduate and how you are still assessed on when you entered college as an undergraduate exists.

Advertisement