Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

music lessons

Options
  • 05-01-2009 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

i have been looking in the democrat and the argus for music lessons but i cant seem to find many at all

i want to learn how to play the guitar, and also music theory
    i have tried doing it on my own and i have gone as far as i can i think

nearly all the people giving lessons are teaching ****ing trad music
    i like most kinds of music but the thought of learning bloody "danny boy" or something make my blood run cold

anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

What part of the county are you based.
    did you try www.justinguitar.com ive just started myself find it great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 a4775

sorry, i forgot to mention
    i am in the dundalk area, so anywhere round there really
    down as far as ardee perhaps, i dont really fancy driving for ages to get to it
    im not fussy am i?

and yes, i have tried that website
    he is good and all, but i dont seem to be able to stick it
    i really need lessons to keep me going you know
    if i dont have someone to disappoint i dont do anything it seems

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Check out the Argus or the Democrat for Services Offered. If there's nothing there you could always post a request.

If you call into Cumiskeys on clanbrassil st they have a list of mussic teachers one guy in ardee francis higgins is on there sheet he is brill on acoustic or electric.

Danny hughes in blackrock cheapest place in the north east for equipment also has a music school upstairs.

ye, i was in danny hughes a few weeks ago
    i have been popping in and out of there for years, i was even thrown out of it a few times by the old guy
    he seems to have a good selection of stuff alright, but i dont want to spend too much on gear if i cant even play it you know
    i havent the money at the minute anyway

francis higgins you say, if he is in the ardee area then that would suit me down to the ground
    i must look him up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Renius

If he doesn't work out i'm based a little further down the motorway in a place called Termonfeckin which is just before drogheda coming from Dundalk. I've been playing guitar since i was 5 along with the violin, bazouki, mandolin and tin whistle amongst other things. I've been classically trained and have a teachers Diploma on the violin so i could help you with the basics of music theory. Regarding the guitar i've played in everything from Rock Bands to singer/songwriter outfits and can teach you however you want me to teach you. If you wanna learn specific songs, grand you bring them to class and i'll show you. Or if you want it to be more structred thats fine too :D I promise you i won't teach you danny boy :p I already teach violin in the sound shop in Drogheda and have two guitar pupils privately. Regarding rates they are somewhat negotiable but since you'd be coming from Dundalk anything less than an hours lesson would be a waste of your time so for 10 one hour lessons, once a week i'd charge you 180 euro. So for ten weeks of one on one guitar lessons for one hour sessions it'll cost you 180 euro. I dont know about Dundalk but you won't get rates like that from any school down here in drogheda.

Just a suggestion :)

ye thanks, that sounds pretty decent actually
    i will definitely keep you in mind, i just need to figure out the finances you know

Not a problem! All the best! :)

Renius,
    I am not far from you, what are your rates for half hour, I am a beginner, learning three chords at the moment , but I will defo want some good tuition as soon as the fingers get blended.

Thanks in advance Maca

hey hey, dont be stealing my possible future music teacher on me

• Advertisement

Hey Maca well since you'd only be doing half an hour i'd give you Ten weeks of one on one lessons for 100 euro. Same deal regards how you want me to teach you! If you've got any songs you've always wanted to play we can work on those or if you just want structured lessons where i pick the songs that's fine too!

I'm free most evenings so i shouldn't have problems fitting you both in should you both want lessons but if there was a problem naturally you'd get priority a4775. But i'm usually just lazing around at home most nights so the distraction of multiple music lessons would be most welcome :D

Renius,

That s ok but it will be the end of the month you can pm me your details.

a4775,

I am not stealing your poss music teacher, just borrowing him until you sort your finances out :p

ive no problem fitting people in! With the violin lessons i used to teach 12 kids in one day! Draining stuff but never any problems! so two guitar lessons in a week won't be a problem at all:)

take your time deciding a4775 i'm not going anywhere and i've too much free time as it is so i;d be delighted to teach you! let me know either way :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

a4775 wrote: »
    nearly all the people giving lessons are teaching ****ing trad music
    i like most kinds of music but the thought of learning bloody "danny boy" or something make my blood run cold

I'm sure any traditional teachers are not going to teach you that crap. Esspecially in Drogheda. when I used to live there, Drogheda was always the place to go for good irish music (not danny boy) around them parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Woobielady

Hey Renius, Im looking for someone to teach a few hours violin a week. Would you be interested? If you are, let me know. Im based in Blackrock, Dundalk. My e-mail is Woobielady@hotmail.com.

Cheers,

Woobielady:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 suptie

hi renius, i was just wondering are you still teaching music in termonfeckin? im actually from the area and am interested in getting violin lessons!

thanks

Advertisement