Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil Change

Options
  • 05-01-2009 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

Hey there...i've been having a problem with my clutch lately...brought it to a nissan dealer who diagnosed! the problem as a clutch shudder(1st gear,taking off)...he kinda said the clutch might need replacing,eventually it will need replacing...should i get it changed? car is running fine..just a slight iffy taking off..personally i know **** all about cars..how long will i get out of the clutch?
    also i checked the oil there and it was slightly below the dip stick low level...so i was gona go add some engine oil on the way to work tomorrow..but i dont actually know anything about engine oil!! what oil do i buy??? where does it go!! ahh no i think i know that...just what oil to buy is what i need to know.
    Thanks
    Car is a Nissan Almeara 1.4 petrol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

The clutch will go soon, if its slipping at all it will get worse faster, drop it into the nissan garage and get them to do the clutch and change the oil. Is it due an oil change anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

not sure where i stand on the oil change...im supposed to get the clutch changed this week..will they change the oil as part of the service?? the clutch is slipping..definately..but there's also a bit of a rattle..which i assume is the clutch plate! thats what ive been told..clutch plate and clutch go hand in hand..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

These two issues could be related OP. The usual cause of clutch shudder is clutch disc linings contaminated with oil. This oil could be leaking past the crankshaft oil seal behind the engine flywheel, which could explain the shudder and the low oil...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

is that easily solved? would that mean i dont have to replace the clucth? cos its gona cost 550'ish! i was surprised the oil was low,cause i had the car serviced in march..i dont know..should you get your car serviced once a year or every 6 months or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

No, you'll have to replace the complete clutch (3 piece kit), and also the crankshaft oil seal behind the flywheel, usually another 50-60 Euro for the seal and another 30 minutes to an hour's labour...

This might not be the problem, the engine could be normally burning the oil, but usually clutch shudder is caused by oil contamination on the clutch linings...

• Advertisement
Advertisement