Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying as an Undergraduate, but aged as a Mature Student

Options
  • 05-01-2009 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,
    I've trailed through the forum for an answer to this but can't seem to find one so hoping you might be able to help? I'm filling in the CAO at the moment with teh hope of going back to school in Sept. I want to apply as an undergrad though, as I've a degree in another field, and it's not applicable to the grad entry course for the course. To that end I'm repeating exams this year, and hopefully will get enough points etc. My question is, do I have to put all this in teh personal statement and apply as a mature student since I'm over 23 and a previous student, or can i apply as an undergrad and take my chances along with fees etc?
    Thanks a mill
    Jess

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'm pretty sure you can apply the usual route like a school leaver and get a place solely on your LC points. You will still have to write down your previous studies and will have to pay the fees.

Why not apply as a mature student? Do you feel you'll have a better chance of getting in using your points?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Hey Larianne
    Aye, I want to do medicine, which is difficult enough to get into as a mature student so I've heard, and because of a few different reasons my primary degree and original LC wouldn't cut the criteria for the Grad entry. So now bottling it between now and May, have to start hitting the books hard soon ;)
    Thanks a mil for the reply
    Jess

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

hey sorry to butt in, but are there any (dis)advantages to going one way or the other? I'm mature age, but id nearly rather go the LC points route, as Id say my points would be good enough, unless theres some blatant reason im missing to apply as a mature?

If you have enough points, definitely use them to apply. Mature Student route is for people who may have not known what they wanted to do when finishing school so didn't push themselves hard enough to get top marks or due to other reasons like dropping out of school etc.

I'm so glad of it as the thoughts of going back and doing the LC. :eek: Fair play Jessibelle.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

cool thanks for that, couldnt find that info anywhere. Yeah i see what ya mean, its a good setup alright. I just lost interest immediately after the leaving, but thankfully got a decent one, should be deffo enough for what i want to do. While i have ya, i know im gonna have to pay 2 years of fees, cos i dropped out before, will that have any effect on my application, eg cao or any of that? Or will that just be a matter for me and the registry one ive got and accepted an offer?

thanks for your help by the way!

• Advertisement

No, it won't affect your application. You'll have to pay the fees. You'll need to contact your former college to show the dates you were a student there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

coyle wrote: »
    i know im gonna have to pay 2 years of fees, cos i dropped out before
    You don't have a five-year gap in between you dropping out before and starting in September by any chance? If you do, you can apply for the grant this year.

Advertisement