Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Insurance Rising

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Last December my better half got her renewal from FBD, and it had gone up. It was still the cheapest quote she got, but we got onto them about and they knocked a few quid off. They told us at the time that ALL premiums were increasing.

I'm also with FBD, and I bought a commercial jeep. They wanted €700 to insure it TPF&T (second car). Even though I had a full no claims bonus with them (compliments of bonus protection), because it was a second car they wouldn't recognise the NCB and had me starting from scratch. I know have a policy from Hibernian through Gogans brokers in Dublin for €375 TPF&T, with step back protection, as Hibernian just copied my NCB.

This despite 10 years of insurance on my own cars with FBD, my better half being with them, both of my parents, my house, my parents house, and our business, as well as several recommended friends and countless recommended customers from our business. So much for customer loyalty.

During the year I changed from a '98 BMW 520i to a '01 BMW 525i M-tech with 6 months left on my insurance policy. It cost me €23 for the remainder of the year. The previous owner of the 525 is with AXA, and he now has the 520. He got €23 credit on his policy! We felt it was interesting that the companys calculation came so close!!!

Are these guys online rarnes1. I assume they are in the golden pages anyhow. Will my previous 5 years claims free as a named driver stand to me at this stage or do you think this may depend on the insurance company/ broker?

If you change insurance company, you will need to get a letter from your current insurer stating how many years NCB you have (this leter may have arrived with your renewal). If Quinn are giving you 4 years NCB, then the letter will reflect that (it may say that you have 1 year with them, but that they allowed you 3 for being a named driver on one of their policies) You simply give a copy of that letter to your new insurer to confirm your NCB for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

My insurance with FBD went from €600 to €728 this year (7 years driving, full NCB, 1.4 car!!). I rang the company and told them they were having a laugh, and all the girl said that costs were going up. She wasn't impressed when I told her customers will go down with crazy increases like this.

I ended up going with One Direct for €440. Since then, my father and 3 of my friends have switched.

Driving home yesterday after I heard the ad on the radio Dave versus some other guy and how Dave is so stingy and so is the other guy. One of them is seemingly tighter than the other and the final comment is Dave insured his car with nononsence.ie.... Dave wins. Nononsence.ie is a trading name of FBD insurance... I'm sure a lot of ye know the one I'm on about. Had to laugh out loud when I heard it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Fey! wrote: »
    If you change insurance company, you will need to get a letter from your current insurer stating how many years NCB you have (this leter may have arrived with your renewal). If Quinn are giving you 4 years NCB, then the letter will reflect that (it may say that you have 1 year with them, but that they allowed you 3 for being a named driver on one of their policies) You simply give a copy of that letter to your new insurer to confirm your NCB for them.

Thanks Fey. Know the procedure and currently awaiting the letter providing for my previous named driving experience from Quinn Direct. My renewal pack only showed my no claims discount in my own name and did not reflect this previous named driving experience in any aspect whatsoever. What I was pointing out is that many insurance brokers or companies will not acknowledge previous named driving experience when giving you a quote if you are currently driving in your own...You are only given the option of providing one or the other. Furthermore of those that do it would appear that there are considerble variations on how much of a discount they will give you for the same period of named driving experience. A bit odd the way it works and no real consistency in it.

Advertisement