Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Air travel with cylinder/equipment?

• 05-01-2009 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'll be travelling via air with my gear for the first time in the next month or two, and I just want to know exactly what I need to do with my cylinder to ensure it will be allowed in baggage.

Obviously knives etc., will be in checked baggage, but I want to keep the fragile/expensive equipment in my hand luggage as much as possible.

I presume I have to have the first stage reg valve removed from the cylinder as per the TSA transport guidelines (I'll be flying to the US).

Any other experiences/tips/guidelines that I should be aware of from seasoned travellers? Also, where in the Dublin area should I go to have the first stage taken off the cylinder for travel? (I presume I cannot do this myself?):confused:

Cheers. . .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ask the airline. Rules vary hugely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

First, that valve on the cylinder is called a Pillar Valve. The first stage, as you rightly said, is on the reg.

Second, That valve needs to be loose so that you can take it off for inspection.

Third, I assume you are not taking it for a holiday? If so why not rent there?? That's the normal practice.

Fourth, cabin baggage should contain reg and computer. All else in checked luggage.

Seadeuce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

seadeuce wrote: »
    First, that valve on the cylinder is called a Pillar Valve. The first stage, as you rightly said, is on the reg.

Second, That valve needs to be loose so that you can take it off for inspection.

Third, I assume you are not taking it for a holiday? If so why not rent there?? That's the normal practice.

Fourth, cabin baggage should contain reg and computer. All else in checked luggage.

Seadeuce

Cheers for that input.

I'm moving abroad for some time and want to take the gear with me rather than go through the hassle of selling up/buying new.

Regarding the pillar valve, any ideas on where to go to have it loosened/removed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

I think the regulations regarding cylinders are different in the US - so you may need to get the cylinders VIPed when you get there. If they don't have the correct stamp then they won't get filled. Might be easier and cheaper to buy bottles there when you take into account transport and tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

juvenal wrote: »

Regarding the pillar valve, any ideas on where to go to have it loosened/removed?

To loosen you need to have two 8inch lengths of, say, 2x1 pieces of wood. Place one each side of the pillar valve if you want to use a vise grip.

Of course the bottle needs to be firmly held in a vice itself, or other means of holding.

I have seen a guy use a cam band, same as on a BC, to tie the tank to a concrete fence post, then use one piece of wood and by gently tapping with a hammer he succeeded to loosen the valve. No damage done.

The tank needs to be fully empty to do this :-))

BTW that's good advice about selling it here rather than have the hassle of transportation. Look up the price of a new one over there, with the dollar it may be prudent to leave it at home.

Seadeuce

• Advertisement

seadeuce wrote: »
    To loosen you need to have two 8inch lengths of, say, 2x1 pieces of wood. Place one each side of the pillar valve if you want to use a vise grip.

Of course the bottle needs to be firmly held in a vice itself, or other means of holding.

I have seen a guy use a cam band, same as on a BC, to tie the tank to a concrete fence post, then use one piece of wood and by gently tapping with a hammer he succeeded to loosen the valve. No damage done.

The tank needs to be fully empty to do this :-))

BTW that's good advice about selling it here rather than have the hassle of transportation. Look up the price of a new one over there, with the dollar it may be prudent to leave it at home.

Seadeuce

Good shout - might be less hassle and possible expense to sell it and buy new once I get over.

I'm sure there've been some instances where people have tried to remove the pillar before bleeding the tank empty first :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

I've heard of some security people at airports rejecting the cylinder because the valve was on, even though it was loose. These days a lot of folk take the valve off and/or leave their mobile number on the tank if the security have any questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Gun Monkey

Hi! Good luck with the travelling, just thought i might ask if u decided whether to sell ur cylinder or not? Might be interested in buying it off u, depending on what it is and how much etc:)

Gun Monkey wrote: »
    Hi! Good luck with the travelling, just thought i might ask if u decided whether to sell ur cylinder or not? Might be interested in buying it off u, depending on what it is and how much etc:)

Actually I just emailed some people about it the other day, as I'm trying to sell it before I head off again next Tuesday.

I've also posted it on adverts.ie, as below.;)

Advertisement