Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

is it worth my while going up north??

Options
  • 05-01-2009 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

Hello.....

Im pretty clueless when it comes to buying motors in another state,
    so after paying for tax and duty and whatever....will i make a decent saving.

And how about buying second hand up there......does that mean i'm exempt from VRT??

As I said i'm clueless......so please all answers/advice in laymans english.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

you should make savings buying up north alright. for example in Decmber I bought a car up north for £3800 and paid VRT today of €1448 so total is about €5,800.

Same car down here would cost me €12,000 or €13,000

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

miju wrote: »
    you should make savings buying up north alright. for example in Decmber I bought a car up north for £3800 and paid VRT today of €1448 so total is about €5,800.

What kind of car was it as a matter of interest - thats a pretty substancial saving

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

miju wrote: »

oh ya........and what car & spec would that be then.....pls tell:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,100 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Yes, go north. My sis is buying a 04 mini tomorrow. Saving nearly 5k after vrt. Get up there quick before some other guy from down south see's your fancy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

I was on the market for a Lexus and i found it quite worth while looking up the north for cars. I have it alot more worth while going to the mainland UK. keep it in mind.
    (i couldnt end up doig this cos *banks* wouldnt give me a personal loan, only one of thoes HP loans so i had to pay a dealer in ireland)

I saw an irish company that bought cars in liverpool, transported them over here, fully VRTed it for you, put on their price and it still worked out cheaper - Any know of the company i am talking about ? i had a quick look but cant find the link here. i can have a more detailed look if no1 comes up with it

also: a mate actually just suggested this site to be today, he is looking at it.
    (came up on a search for importing cards to ireland :))
    http://www.cargiant.co.uk/carsupermarket/HowToImport_ie.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Don't forget that most people calculate their savings based on the asking prices of cars on carzone. This doesn't take into account the fact that most of these cars could be bought for a lot less than the asking price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I've just been looking at a 04 Laguna on the Hurst website. The car is listed at €3133 & the VRT comes in at €3700 ?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Yep, crazy stuff.

Any good NI carwebsites ala carzone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Holsten wrote: »
    Yep, crazy stuff.

Try Autotrader.co.uk, and put in a postcode for either Belfast or Newry maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Looking through that site with the prices and current exchange rate = :D

Looking at the VRT site = :mad:

Fúckers!

Holsten wrote: »
    Yep, crazy stuff.

I found mine on usedcarsni.com . As for the model and make it was similiar to this this car (there was one the exact same as mine for sale in Michael Barrables for 14k which sold for 13k last week)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

iMax wrote: »
    I've just been looking at a 04 Laguna on the Hurst website. The car is listed at €3133 & the VRT comes in at €3700 ?!?

You can buy similar Lagunas here cheaper than that.

OP you should go to the UK mainland as cars are generally cheaper than up North. I have relatives up North who buy most of their cars over in England as they are cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

put a deposit down on a ford ranger thunder in england. price quoted on ford.ie is around 38,000 euros, got brand new one in england for £14,000!

have you checked the VRT on that milly4ever?

no, cos it's a friend of mine who has bought it. the vrt will be high im sure,but with the saving he has made on the price of the car, i suppose that will help with the extra cost?

id be nervous of doing that without checking the VRT first especially given that Ford Ranger isnt listed on the VRT calculator site.

i must tell him that, he is off to close the deal on the car this weekend. what happens if the model is not listed then?

then he's better off ringing one of the VRO offices unless he's not planning on paying VRT on it at all and keeping it on UK plates

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cooper38

dont just collect a draft for sterling at your bank, compare with currency.ie
    banks will rip you off

• Advertisement

he has been in touch with them. didnt think it was possible to keep UK plates on as he doesnt have a UK address. surely the VRT couldn't exceed the money he is saving (22,000 euros)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Not quite OT but related to the topic all the same how do people in general up the north look after there cars service wise. I know the UK "mainland" (I Hate to say it) looks after their cars (in general) quite well. I know a few who've gotten cars with FSH up north but the HPI brings up nothing (cars were sound) is the HPI applicable to the north?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Not quite OT but related to the topic all the same how do people in general up the north look after there cars ?

well i heard that...the prods do...but the micks don't

so if you're buyin a car up there off some fella, make sure his name is Henderson or Robinson or the like...

but if his name is Murphy or O'Reilly and he's got red hair just walk away

;)only kiddin;)

Advertisement