Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping from 1st year for Arts next year.

Options
  • 05-01-2009 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey, I've made up my mind to apply for arts next year as for some reason I overlooked it doing the CAO. I'm currently doing computer science in DIT. I got 400 points in the LC.
    I know its far too late to join now, so whats my best bet, to finish my first year and go to UCD or drop out now and try to get a job?
    What will going to UCD now do to me for fees? Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

You might be best to drop out now. If you complete the year you'll be liable for full fees next yeat. You'll have to check with UCD for exact details but you might be able to pay reduced fees or maybe even no fees if you drop out without finishing the year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Drop out and earn some money if you definitely know you wont be doing computer science again. Get some experience elsewhere even subbing in schools if you're thinking of teaching

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I'm not certain, but if I remember from a friend of mine who dropped out, she was told that she had to drop out before a date in late November to avoid paying full fees.

If you are not 100% sure, maybe stick with it and you might change your mind after summer exams.
    If you are, then get out now and go make a few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Mr_Magpie

I dropped out of DCU before Halloween and I'm only paying normal fees next year and they're giving me this years fees back. They're going to give me the 1000euro back next September to pay UCD.

Unfortunately for you though it maybe too late to get the reduced fees. Somebody told me that it was late last year sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I'd say drop out now. If you don't get a cut in fees, it'll give you time to get a job and earn some money to pay them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

think late jan is cut off for half fees

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

think late jan is cut off for half fees
    Yeah its the end of Jan, if you are certain you want to do a different course you are much better of dropping out by then, you will save €2,000 or so in fees

Advertisement