Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Shares in Galway ?

Options
  • 05-01-2009 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hey,

I need some help i was wondering where and how i could go about buying shares in galway i dont actually mean in galway. i mean where in galway .. yes i know its a bad time to buy shares bla bla blaa please dont ruin the thread with a load of recession crap...:D:D.. So where would i go and what is the minimum amount i can purchase ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

BOI or AIB will do this for you, go to any branch. Well a fair sized branch anyway.
    Last time I checked they charged 20 euro for the service, I've no doubt it's more then that now
    You can set your max price or leave it "at market". You can also specify a deadline, then the order will be filled pretty shortly hopefully and you get a contract note in the post

Minimum? Dunno, I'd say this depends on the equity you are buying.
    The bank staff can tell you this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Daveys are on Dock Road. Don't think there's a minimum shareholding you must purchase, you can purchase only one share if you want.

National Irish Bank do it online. Davy (part of one of the big banks as far as I know) had an office here but it is closing / closed.

Talking to an accountant in practice Business Expansion Schemes seem a good idea at the minute as small businesses can't raise funds from the banks and are selling shares instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Why would you do it in person?

Do it online, it's cheaper and easier. One piece of advise i'll give is to do your research before buying anything and educate yourself with charges etc.

Also don't think that you're guaranteed to make money just because BOI etc. shares are so low atm - Shares can reach 0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Also Boards Investments and Markets forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=859

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mikemac wrote: »
    BOI or AIB will do this for you, go to any branch.
    I think BOI have withdrawn from the retail end of things - they sold Davy which was their stockbroking arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭swimgal08

BOI or AIB will do this for you, go to any branch. Well a fair sized branch anyway.
    Last time I checked they charged 20 euro for the service, I've no doubt it's more then that now
    You can set your max price or leave it "at market". You can also specify a deadline, then the order will be filled pretty shortly hopefully and you get a contract note in the post

Minimum? Dunno, I'd say this depends on the equity you are buying.
    The bank staff can tell you this

so do i just walk up to the counter and say i want to by shares .i apologies for my ignorance .. and i'm grateful for my intelligence... so can i just walk up say i want to buy 100 euros worth of shares in fake.plc

and if i want to sell them do i just walk in and say i want to sell them ???

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not quite. Go in or phone and ask if they have a share dealing service and say you would like to buy shares. They will set up an account and will probably require the usual details from you ID, proof of address, etc. The may have you sign a contract.

You then tell them what shares you want to buy. Depending on the service, they may accept qualifications on you instructions, i.e. some will only take simple instructions "Buy 1,000 shares in Fake plc" or "Buy €1,000 in shares in Fake plc" others will take more complicated instructions like "Buy 1,000 shares in Fake plc between €1.10 and 1.30" so if the price has moved, they won't automatically execute the transaction.

I suggest you post here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=859

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

buy online, transaction fees are much smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Try Orla Murray Financial Services on Forthill Road (by Victoria Place). www.orlamurray.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Holly s**t.. :eek:

I paid $1 fee in Canada and less than €1 in Poland when I was working there.. I know few fans of stock investing and I don't think it's much more in other countries. Sometimes I made up to 10 operations a day, I see I'd become bankrupt in Galway! :D

I bet there must be some better option than 20, and even 10-5 euros.. Keep looking...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Advertisement