Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Final Push

Options
  • 05-01-2009 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭

I've decided to start the Boards Better Body Super Fit 8 Week Challenge thingy, so am posting a log to motivate, keep me on track and as a records of my achievements.

I'm 24, male, 5ft 11 and 12 stone. I've lost over 4 stone since Nov 07 through 5 a side, running and weights. Over the last few months though my progress has slowed down somewhat and have been hovering around the 12stone mark for a few months (although i'm still losing some weight and adding muscle).

My goals are:

1. Shift that last bit of weight and for the first time in my life get a flat stomach (i'll worry about a 6 pack next year!).

2. Bring up my big three lifts and add on some muscle to replace the fat (i want to break body weight in the squat by the end of jan, dead lift by the end of feb and bench press by the end of the summer).

3. Run a half marathon by the end of summer. Run Full marathon next autumn,

I reckon my biggest challenge will be diet. I need to stay away from biscuits and rocky bars with tea etc, which will be hard. Also, we all take turns cooking in the flat, and the lads seem to have a penchant for late night carbs - pasta and rice are the staples. So they'll be hard to avoid completely unless i break the cooking pact!

Another problem is eating late. by the time i get out of work in the evenings, its normally late enough when i get round to working out, whether it by the gym, running or whatever, so i often endd up not eating till after 9. I know its not ideal for weight loss to eat late, but there's not much i can do.

My measurements are:
    Chest - 103cm
    Bicep - 28cm
    Wrist - 17.5 cm
    Waist - 94cm
    Hips - 91cm
    Top of Legs - 96cm
    Knee - 41cm
    Calf - 38cm.

the weights programme is one of my own invention, with a lot of help from the the fitness thread (and BossArky's and Transfrom's comments - thanks!). I will probably change up in the next 2 or 3 weeks, so if you have any comments or suggestions, feel free. Alternatively, i just joined that new RAW gym, so might see what they suggest for me. The seem pretty sound in there, and seem to know their stuff (which was one of the many reasons i left westwood for them!!).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭floggg

First day went well - cardio day.

5 a side - 1 hour.

First game back after Xmas so was knackered, but decided to run home afterwards - 3.3k in 15 mins, which wasn't bad after an hours footy.

Diet:
    Breakfast - Porridge with mixed nuts, dried fruit and honey, Boiled egg
    Snack - handful of nuts
    Lunch - Turkey and ham sandwich w/ mixed leaves on brown bread
    Snack - handful of nuts
    Pre-work out - Turkey and ham sandwich w/ mixed leaves on brown bread
    Dinner - Shepards pie with sald
    SNack - 2 crackers w/ peanut butter.

Day 2

Squat - 70kg x 17 (couldn't make the 20!!)
    Calf Raise - (72.5kg x 10) x 3
    BB Lunge - (50kg x 5) x 5
    Straight Leg Deadlift - (60 x 5) x 5
    Preacher Curls - (37.5kg x 5) x 5
    Cable Hammer Curls - (100 pounds x 5) x 5

Diet
    Breakfast - porridge with fruit, nuts, honey
    Lunch - turkey and ham sambo
    Snack - handful of nuts
    Pre-workout - turkey and ham sambo
    Dinner - Salmon and veg tossed in pesto and v.small bit of pasta

The progress continues...

Cardio day

7k run - 30mins.

I had hoped to try some interval training but gave up half way through because
    (a) under estimated the length of the route i took
    (b) my legs were killing me from yesterday's gym activities.

I don't know if its wise to try running after a heavy legs workout (any opinions?), but they were stiff as f@*k by the half way point!

Diet was good - more or less similar to previous two days.

Back in the gym, training chest and triceps. Starting to hit the wall on current programme, so struggled a lot today. I also felt a little twinge in my left arm, but assumed it was just still feeling tuesday nights exertions.

Bench Press - 50kg - 3 x 5, 1 x4, 1 x2.
    BB Military Press - 30kg - 1 x 5, 1 x4, 3 x 2
    Incline DB Press - 15kg - 3 x 5, 1 x 4, 1 x 3
    DB Pull Over - 25kg - 1 x 5, 1 x 4, 1 x 3
    Dips - 2 x 4, 1 x 3
    Tricep Extension - 20kg - 5 x 5

Everything except the dips was meant to be a 5 x 5 so i struggled a lot. Having a lot of difficulty moving from 15kg to 17.5kg dumbells on the incline db press, and also moving up on tricep extensions, although i am still progressing somewhat on the exercises before them, which would wear out my muscles a bit before i get to them. i think i'll do one more week on this programme and then change up.

Ok, so after only 4 days I feel off the wagon! Pathetic, I know.

Had a ridiculously late night on friday, which involved wine, beer and a burger. Saturday was something similar but instead of the burger i had birthday cake. Both were events i couldn't get out of, and while i didnt drink an excessive amount, i didn't get to bed until daylight each night, so needless to say i didnt have the energy or motivation or energy for any training sat or sunday (fri was meant to be my only day off).

But, as somebody another thread somewhere said, failure isn't slipping up, failure is not picking yourself up and starting again.

• Advertisement

Today was 5 a side day -a pretty greuling hour in light of the weekends activities. I ran home again afterwards, about a 3k run.

Feeling shattered after it, but i reckon i deserve after my weekends exploits!

Weights day...

Deadlift - (5 x 5) x 65kg
    Pull Up - 2 x 5, 1 x 4
    BB Bent Over Row - (5 x 5) x 52.5kg
    Good Mornings - (5 x 5) x 50kg
    BB Shrugs - (5 x 5) x 72.5kg

5.25km Interval run - 24mins.

Another cardio day

10.25km run in 43mins.

Am running in the raheny 5 mile race next sunday, so am trying to squeez in as much running as i can over the next few days - would like to try and post a decent time.

Squats - 70kg x 1 x 20
    Calf Raise - 75kg x 3 x 10
    BB Lunge - 52.5kg x 5 x5
    Straight Leg deadlift - 60 kg x 1 x 5, 62.5kg x 4 x 5
    Cable Hammer Curl - Lvl 11 x 5 x5
    Ez Bar Preacher Curl - 37.5kg x 5, 35kg x 2 x 5, 35kg x 1 x 4

Today went much better than I had expected or hoped. Thought last week i was pleatuing on this program, as struggled badly with everything, and couldn't complete full sets in most of them. Today, everything went well except the curls, but that was done after the cable hammer curls, and packed on some extra weight on that today, so I was happy enough.

• Advertisement

bench press (50kg) x 5 x 5
    Incline DB Press (17.5kg) - 2 x 5, 1 x4, 2 x2
    BB Military press (27.5kg) - 4 x 5
    DB Pull Over (20kg) - 5 x 5
    Dips 1 x 4, 2 x 3
    Tricep Extension (22.5kg) - 5 x 5

Today was good overall, except for the Military Press. I think it might be too much for me doing the bench, db and military presses all in one day, one after the other. I always start with the bench and then mix it up between db press and military, but i always struggle with whichever of them i do last - i normally end up having to drop back a weight.

So, i've decided to swtch up the program a bit, i've been doing it for two months now, so due anyway. Will change to groupings slightly as well to legs,chest and arms, and back and shoulders, which is probably a better fit. One more day to go on this program, and then change the following week (am running a 5mile race at the weekend, so will do just one day in the gym today, then the rest will do running, with a few days rest before the race.

Will post the new program here and in the fitness forum for comments/critique.

Cardio 5 today.

5 a side football for an hour. Really noticed the difference in fitness this week compared to last week (and going off the rails the weekend before!). Felt much better, and starting to regain the fitness levels i had before Xmas (I more or less stopped cardio after the aware 10k run at the start of december).

Again, I ran home afterwards - this time i added in a bit of a detour, so took the route up to 4.75k. Not sure what time i did it in, but felt good on the run, although wrecked now.

Overall, diet has been fairly good for the last week. Had a bit of apple tart and custard last night, but that was a special occasion and apart from that i've been good.

Geared up for another big week!

Deadlift - 67.5kg - 5 x 5
    Pull Up - 1 x 7, 1 x 5, 1 x 4
    BB Bent Over Row - 52.5kg - 5 x 5
    BB Shoulder Shrug - 75kg - 5 x 5
    Good Mornings - 52.5kg - 5 x 5

And back....

Took a little bit of a sabbatical from the log, although thankfully i've been training still. Its just my reporting duties that slipped.

I did the Raheny 5 mile race last sunday, and v. happy with how i got on - i did it in just under 33 mins. Outside the top 100 by a little bit (which i had an outside hope of cracking), but still happy.

Have been looking at my programme for the last week or two and trying to tweak/change it a bit. I booked in for a session with a PT last friday, and ran through a few things, mainly concentrated on my form on a few exercises. I was happy to hear i had pretty good form on likes of squat and bench, but picked up a few tips along the way which should make a difference in the future.

However, not going to take his advice in terms of programmes and splits - i want to keep going on the 5 x 5 for for a few months, until it stops paying off, and then look to make a dramtic change.

Have decided to tweak the current programme instead, so here is what i have done this week, and will do for the next few:

Tues:
    Chest and Tri's day

Bench - 52.5kg (2 x 5, 1 x 4, 1 x 3, 1 x 2)
    Incline DB Press - 17.5kg (4 x 5, 1 x 4)
    Incline DB Flies - 12.5kg (5 x 5)
    Dips - 3 x 3
    Bench Dips - 3 x 8

Thurs - Legs and posterior chain day
    Squats - 70kg (5 x 5)
    Calf Raise - Lvl 6 on machine (5 x 5)
    Deadlift - 70kg (5 x 5)
    KB Lunge - 16kg (5 x 5)
    hamstring Curls - lvl 7 (5 x 5)

Sat - Back, shoulders and bi's
    Chins - 3
    Lat Pull Down - Lvl 5 (5 x 5)
    One Arm Row - 25kg (5 x 5)
    Bradley Curl - 20kg (5 x 5)
    Shrugs - 75kg (5 x 5)
    DB Curl - 10kg (5 x 5)

You might notice a drop in weight in dips, chins and curls - i dropped the weights back and have corrected form (cheated a lot on dips and chins to try and churn out extra reps).

I also switched from running shoes to flatter puma's for squats - it seemed to change my balance a lot compared to the running shoes. The weights actually felt a lot heavier on my back.

Lastly, on the advice of the PT, am gonna cut back on the long distance runs for a while. I want to add a bit more muscle, so will focus on that, and switch to interrval runs (having read the thread re transforms recent today fm appearance). Have also started protein shakes.

So we'll see how it goes for the next few weeks.

gym day today - lower body.

Squats - 5 x 5 @ 72.5kg
    Calf Raise - 5 x 5 @ Lvl 7
    Deadlift - 5 x 5 @ 72.5kg
    KB Lunge - 5 x 5 @ 20kg
    Hamstring Curl - 5 x5 @ Lvl 8.

Started paying more attention to my form a lot more on lunges - i was way off previously without realising it. Will keep to kettlebells for a few weeks until i get it down and then switch back to BB.

Also, on deadlift, i have noticed slight rounding of my back as i add on weight. It feels inevitable to a certain extent - is it possible to do haevy weights on them with perfect form?

Will focus on that though next week.

Yesterday's workout

Decline BP - 5 x 5 @ 52.5kg
    Incline DB Press - 5 x 5 @ 17.5kg
    Incline Flies - 3 x 5, 2 x 3 @ 15kg
    Dips - 3 x 3
    Bench Dips - 2 x 9, 1 x 8

I think i pulled/tweaked/strained something or other in my knee last week in the gym doing lunges. Still trying to get my form right, and think i put to much strain on them. My kness (right in particular) felt a little "tender" all week, and didn't feel right during and particularly after 5 a side on Monday. I should have not played, but i didn't, so am going to rest it for next week or so - no leg training in gym or running during the week, so will see how it goes.

I reckon i should still be good for upper body training though, so will be hitting the gym hard for back shoulders and bi's tomorrow.

Back, shoulders and arms

Chin ups - 4
    Lat Pull Down - 5 x 5 @ Lvl 6
    Bradley Press - 5 x 5 @ 22.5kg
    One Arm DB Row - 4 x 5, 1 x 4 @ 27.5kg
    Concentration Curls - 4 x 5, 1 x 5 @ 12.5kg
    Rear Shrugs - 5 x 5 @ 40kg

So i guess at this stage its been about 6 weeks since i started this thing, so am due to finish my 6 week challenge. While i didn't exactly stick strictly to the rules (i.e. one or two weeks with only 3/4 days training, a few days where diet was a bit loose), i did do quiet well. Managed to drop about half a stone (from 12 to 11.5), while upping all my lifts a decent bit as well. I was happy enough with how i got on.

However, undid the good work to a certain degree at the weekend - told myself i could slack off for the week in terms of diet etc, before starting another 6 week cycle. Lets just say i had one chinese takeaway too many (i.e. one!) while also getting overly found of peanut butter and jam sandwiches! The scales are leaning a lot more to 12stone than 11.5 at the moment, but its motivation i guess for the weeks ahead.

This week so far...

Monday - 5 a side for an hour.

Tues - Gym - Chest and tri's.

Decline Bench Press - 5 x 5 @ 55kg (Flat bench occupied, grrr!)
    Incline DB - 5 x 5 @ 17.5kg
    DB Flies - 5 x5 @ 15kg
    Dips - 3 x 4
    Lying Tricep Extension - 2 x 5, 1 x 4, 1 x 2 @ 25kg

Wed - 5k interval run - 20mins

Today - legs and lower back

Squats - 5 x 5 @ 75kg
    Calf Raises - 5 x 5 @ Lvl 8
    Deadlift - 5 x 5 @ 75kg
    KB Lunges - 5 x 5 @ 16kg
    Hamstring Curls - 4 x 5, 1 x 3 @ Lvl 9

My first day doing legs for nearly three weeks. I laid off it for a while, as strained something or other in my knee(s) doing lunges the last time. I dropped weight and focused on the form - i used to step foward with my trailing leg rather thtan raise up on the lead leg. Corrected that, and really noticed the difference - my legs were killed after it, but knee seems fine.

Also, broke bodyweight on squat and deadlift for the first time. I'm about two weeks behind schedule on the squat (from what i had been aiming for at start of jan) but that has a lot to do with my two weeks off leg training. However, i will be the first to admit that i may have sacrified form somewhat to get past that milestone on each.

I'm rounding my back when lifting off the ground, or more accurately, my shoulders go forward. i just don't see how you can keep [erfect form pulling that much weight off the ground, but i've seen it down on youtube, so i know i need to correct it. As for the squats, i found 75kg was quite heavy to take on my abs and shoulders more so then my legs, so for the first few sets i was wobbly, and didn't really go deep enough, although did correct it a bit for the last two or three, although not perfect.

• Advertisement

Chin Ups - 5
    One Arm DB Row - 5 x 5 @ 27.5kg
    Lat Pull Down - 5 x 5 @ Lvl 6
    Bradley Press - 3 x 5, 1 x 4, 1 x 3 @ 25kg
    One Arm DB Shrugs - 5 x 5 @ 30kg
    DB Concentration Curl - 5 x 5, 1 x 4 @ 12.5kg
    Weighted Hyper Extension - 2 x 15 @ 10kg
    Weighted Decline Sit Ups - 2 x 15 @ 10kg

Thought it was about time i added back in some core work.

Monday night -5 a side soccer.

Gym - Chest and Arms.

Decided to tweak the programme somewhat - i'm dropping the third chest exercise (will mix it up between flies and DB press from here on in) and move bi's to chest day as well.

Bench Press - 2 x 5, 1 x 4, 1 x 3, 1 x 2 @ 55kg
    Incline DB Press - 1 x 5, 2 x 4, 1 x 3, 1 x 2 @ 20kg
    Seated DB Curls - 5 x 5 @ 12.5kg
    Dips - 1 x 7, 2 x 4
    Concentration Curls - 3 x 10 @ 10kg
    Lying Tricep Extension - 4 x 5 @ 25kg.

Gonna switch to 3 x 10 or 3 x 8 on the arms from here on in also. Don't think the 5 x 5 is right on them.

Today, a quick 5km HIIT run - 20 mins.

Squats - 5 x 5 @ 75kg
    Calf Raises - 1 x 10, 1 x 9, 1 x 7 @ Lvl 8
    Deadlifts - 5 x 5 @ 77.5kg
    KB Lunges - 5 x 5 @ 16kg
    Hamstring Curls - 1x10, 1x9, 1x6 @ Lvl 8
    Hyper Extension 2 x15@ 10kg
    weighted Sit-ups - 2x15@10kg

Form was much better on squats today, guess i took a while to ajust to flatter shoes. Will started adding on more weight to the bar again.

Felt absolutely dead by the end of this - i feared i wouldn't be able to walk in the morning. But still, good feeling leaving the gym knowing you've given it socks. Its only leg day that I really get that worn out feeling.

Chins - 1 x 7
    Lat Pull Down - 1 x10, 1 x 8, 1 x 6 @ Lvl 6
    Bradley Press - 3x5, 1x3, 1x4 @ 25kg
    One Arm DB Row - 5x5@27.5kg
    One Arm DB Shrugs - 3x10 @ 30kg
    Reverse Incline Flies - 3x10 @ 5kg
    High Rows - 2x10, 1x9 @ Lvl 8
    Decline Side Crunch - 2x16@ 10kg
    Hyper Extension - 2x15 @ 10kg

5 a side - One hour.

I'm back. Once again, it was more a lack of committment to my log than a lack of committment to training.

That said, have been undergoing some enforced slacking recently. Managed to twist my ankle fairly badly playing footy two weeks ago. Could'nt walk on it too well for a few days, so i stayed away from the gym for most of that week, avoided lower body stuff until this week and havn't managed to get any running in since. Hopefully will do so tomorrow, but don't want to rush it - its still a bit tender.

Will post my progress for last few weeks for all that are interested.

Bench Press (@55kg) - 1 x 5, 1 x 4, 1 x2, 1 x 1
    DB Incline PRess (@ 15kg) - 2 x 10, 1 x 8
    Seated DB Curl (@ 12.5kg) - 1 x 8, 1 x 7, 1 x6
    Dips - 1 x 10, 1 x 7, 1 x 6
    DB Concentration Curl (@ 10kg) - 3 x 10
    Lying Tricep Extension (@ 22.5kg) - 2 x 10, 1 x 8

Bench press absolutely collapsed on me that day. Don't know why. I think it was psychological, but it really pissed me off and knocked the stuffing out of me a bit. I had expected to put in a big lift and maybe crack 5 x 5 at that weight. Instead i went backwards from the week before. I found it hard to motivate myself for the rest of the week.

• Advertisement

Squats (@ 77.5kg) - 5 x 5
    DB Lunge (@ 17.5kg) - 5 x 5
    Deadlifts (@77.5kg) - 5 x 5
    Calf Raise (@ Lvl 8) - 3 x 10
    Hamstring Curl (@ Lvl 8) - 2 x 10, 1 x 8
    Decline Twisting Sit Up (@ 10kg) - 1 x 20, 1 x 16
    Hyper Extension (@ 15kg) - 1 x 15, 1 x 10

Advertisement