Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being Called ''Love''. Offensive?

Options
  • 05-01-2009 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Do you find the word ''love'' offensive?

Given context handing back change to a girl ''thanks love here ya go''

?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Thats not offensive at all. Saying "here's your change ya gee bag" would be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

not offensive and i wouldn't lose any sleep over it, but i'd prefer not to be called that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

seanybiker wrote: »
    Thats not offensive at all. Saying "here's your change ya gee bag" would be worse.

:pac:
    bluewolf wrote: »
    not offensive and i wouldn't lose any sleep over it, but i'd prefer not to be called that

Cein Faith?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No don't mind it.

I deal with one supplier who is forever calling me hun when he's on the phone, that annoys me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I don't like to be called that either by people with whom I am not on intimate terms with,
    even more so complete strangers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's not offensive at all.
    Seems to be very common among older people too

No different to an Englishman calling you "mate" and you've never met them before, same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'd accept it from someone a good bit older than me (in a motherly or fatherly way), but would think it a bit odd from someone my age or younger. I wouldn't lose sleep over it, or throw a hissy fit, but it'd make me blink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

I don't mind it at all...maybe cause I am foreigner but i find it very irish and nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

i don't mind at all. i call it to some people but mainly my boyfriend. i do call alot of people though "hun".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Thoie wrote: »
    I'd accept it from someone a good bit older than me (in a motherly or fatherly way), but would think it a bit odd from someone my age or younger. I wouldn't lose sleep over it, or throw a hissy fit, but it'd make me blink.

Riiiight.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Calm down love... get over it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I don't like to be called that either by people with whom I am not on intimate terms with,
    The only wans who say it are the old wans selling fruit on the streets of Dublin, or sometimes Dublin inner city old wans in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭georgem25

Its definitely not offensive. Some people dont even realise they are saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Thaedydal wrote: »

Most of the time it is just a force of habit by people. Common everyday use of a word. As already said, calling some one mate, bro whatever, you can't get offended by something so trivial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I didn't say that I was offended I stated a personal preference to not be refered to that by people that I don't know. I am aware of it in certain peoples speech patterns as part of thier vernacular but that doesn't mean I have to like it and am entirly entitled to feel that it's being over familiar. I would not be rude about it esp to a complete stranger but if it was someone who I had to interact with I would say something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Riiiight.

Hmm?

It's just the sort of thing that my butcher, or the elderly woman in the corner shop is likely to say to me. If a 20 year old in Spar said it I'd find it surprising. I wouldn't be offended, it'd just throw me a bit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ok it may be harmless in some ways but.....I dunno it feels overly familiar to me when dealing with strangers. Overly presumptuous tbh.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ok it may be harmless in some ways but.....I dunno it feels overly familiar to me when dealing with strangers. Overly presumptuous tbh.

Overly familiar, and sometimes patronising.

I don't mind my elderly neighbour calling me love, but if a colleague, especially one subbordinate or younger, says it, its outright insolent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

The type of person that usually says it - I reckon there's punishment enough in just being that kind of idiot so I don't bother saying anything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Overly familiar, and sometimes patronising.

I don't mind my elderly neighbour calling me love, but if a colleague, especially one subbordinate or younger, says it, its outright insolent.
    Patronising is the word I was grasping for. There's an inherent power thing going on. Well that's my feeling of it and I'm no PC type. OK some older/elderly guy saying it fine, but some young fella? Eh no. May be meant in jest or friendliness, but it still makes this unreconstructed chauvinist bastid a bit twitchy. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

It's just a word like any other word .If somebody who use's it as a greeting thinks you are annoyed by it they will probably continue to say it just to annoy you . Probably !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I use it every now and then but don't even realise it.

Especially when talking to American tourists, it just comes out and they get all gooey over it!!!! It's always great for making yourself seem more "Irish".

These days people get worked up over such little things. Everything has to be said right, perfect use of words. Watch your tongue where every you go. Sure, some of it is just plan manners, but the rest is harmless.
    We're moving in to a world where we can't say or do anything with out hurting the feelings of some one.
    Of course things need to progress, some of the old ways and sayings weren't nice to both sexes at times, but trying to make everyone happy is bollox to be honest.

*rant rant rant*

I live in NZ, do you think I get annoyed everytime I'm called 'bro' or 'cuz'. No!
    I'm not that strangers brother, or cousin, don't great me like one.... but wait. It doesn't bother me or most people.

Its not that it is accepted because its common place or the norm. It just doesn't offend (annoy) people.
    Girls often call me honey, hun, babe, sweetheart. Those are words often only used for people in relationship, not causal strangers or random people you meet.

Ah.... feck it. I love all you babes from the tLL. hugs kisses and touching for all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

When I was a lad, my Pa used to call me "love." So in my mind, it's just a little term for insubordinates in general rather than just men or women. Therefore, I have no problem with it. I can see why others would though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Let's face it, it's usually either old people (forgiveable mostly), skangers or idiot men who say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I dont find it offesive at all, its a nice little thing I think!

and of course women never say it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

It's a womon thang !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Words don't offend me.

Sometimes the context in which they are used offend me, but generally I couldn't care less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Gosh - chill the hell out people! Love is an old school term of endearment attempt at affection and friendliness! Inherent part of this country's character - bloody hell people getting antsy about being called love shows modern misplaced judgement. IMO, Chill the hell out take it for what it is a term of expression without malice!

Now if it is said in an intentional patronising way - its a different story but any word in correct tone can sound that way.

Advertisement